Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 321901 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix.... No More Qwikster!!
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »
I'm just hoping this doesn't mean the end of Game Rentals.

I'm sure they already printed some Qwikster envelopes.  I wonder what the value of some of those will be in about 5 years from now.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 12:42:08 PM »
More News!

A plan for Qwikster to rent video games may or may not move forward; Mr. Swasey said it was “to be determined.”

Netflix, meanwhile, still has to concentrate on its online streaming service, which is widely considered to be its core business.

Next February, it is expected to lose the right to stream films from Walt Disney Studios and Sony Pictures Entertainment as a result of a failed renegotiation with the premium cable channel Starz. But it announced a deal last month with DreamWorks Animation to stream that studio’s films starting in 2013. Last week, it announced a deal with AMC Networks to stream old episodes of TV shows like “The Walking Dead.”

Netflix also remains interested in paying for the production of new TV shows. Earlier this year it ordered its first original drama, “House of Cards,” which is expected to have its premiere in late 2012. Now it is in talks to distribute new episodes of two cancelled TV series, “Arrested Development,” formerly of the Fox network, and “Reno 911,” formerly of Comedy Central. The past seasons of both shows can be streamed via Netflix — and can be rented on DVD, too.

So Game Rentals are still up in the air.
But Not only is Netflix negotiating for Arrested Development, but also Reno 911
That I didn't know.

I'm also interested in checking out House of Cards to see what that's all about.

It's also a sad thing that we're losing Starz, but maybe they should strike a deal with Encore. I don't know what studios Encore has licensing deals with, but they always have so much content on On Demand that having all of them streaming could definitely fill a large portion of the hole left behind by Starz(Sony & Disney).

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 01:09:18 PM »
They couldn't get Encore without paying more then what they could make on On Demand.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »
It really sucks about losing Starz. I couldn't give a rat's ass, but I have two kids...so Disney movies on demand can be quite useful sometimes. I was surprised to see recent movies like Tangled and Toy Story 3 on there already.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 02:34:51 PM »
It really sucks about losing Starz. I couldn't give a rat's ass, but I have two kids...so Disney movies on demand can be quite useful sometimes. I was surprised to see recent movies like Tangled and Toy Story 3 on there already.
Yeah, but the TV Shows on it are great.  I've gotten to introduce my son to a lot of good cartoons.  Then he wants to watch Bob the Builder.  Can't win them all.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 02:24:37 PM »
Looks like the CW is coming to Netflix
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/10/13/the-cw-signs-up-with-netflix/

CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. Television Group have signed a four-year deal with Netflix that will allow its customers to instantly watch more than 700 hours of previous seasons of scripted series that currently air on The CW, including episodes of Ringer, Hart of Dixie, The Secret Circle, The Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, 90210, Supernatural, Nikita, and One Tree Hill.
[...]
Previous seasons of The Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, and Nikita will be available to watch instantly on Oct. 15, with previous seasons of Supernatural and 90210 beginning in January 2012. Episodes of all scripted series airing on The CW this broadcast season will premiere for Netflix members next fall.

You will always be a season behind on established shows, but atleast you can all play catch up on shows you should have been watching, like Supernatural.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »
CW has shows?
That's just a vicious Rumor.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Thread of Recommendations and Request
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 02:32:48 PM »
I noticed that this announcement made no mention of Smallville.

I wonder why that is. Outside of a handful of shows, The CW doesn't really have anything to offer, so I hope they include the one show out of it's backlog that made it till the end. Maybe some of their saturday morning cartoon selection too (I'm assuming they have Saturday morning cartoons)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »
I noticed that this announcement made no mention of Smallville.

I wonder why that is. Outside of a handful of shows, The CW doesn't really have anything to offer, so I hope they include the one show out of it's backlog that made it till the end. Maybe some of their saturday morning cartoon selection too (I'm assuming they have Saturday morning cartoons)
They have not for a while.

Smallville I would have like to watch.  Kids WB was the last time that CW really had toons of there own.  It went from 95-2006 really.  The branding was used for 2 more years but it was 4kids.

This was one more step to the combining of Saturday morning cartoons.  Hopefully they will get there back catalog, The Zeta Project , Pinky and the Brain, Animaniacs, Static Shock, etc.  I mean to be honest I be stoked to see Batman: TAS Honestly didn't realize that Warner actually did this one because it was aired by Fox mostly.  I should have known though because it shares continuity with Superman, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Justice League, The Zeta Project , and I believe Legion of Super Heroes as well., Superman:TAS, Batman Beyond, and Legion of Super Heroes on Netflix.

I be more hopeful to hear a deal with Warner Brothers Animation for there whole backlog.  There are some good things in there like Duck Dodger.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:53:58 PM by Ceric »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
I finished watching the first season of Walking Dead and watched the season premiere last night. Good show.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 05:42:38 PM »
I stumbled on that when I was flipping through channels last night...watched about 45 seconds and decided I need to watch the whole first season. Gonna do that ASAP.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »
I may because I hear good things but I don't like the pacing of most Zombie anything.  Like how I don't care for the pacing of soccer.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 10:38:41 PM »
The Walking Dead has been generally true to the source. Furthermore, the production values are outstanding. Between it and Game of Thrones, I've experienced a renewed hope for what television can be.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 06:25:01 AM »
Is it worth me signing up to netflix streaming via VPN?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 08:26:21 AM »
Had a hard time sleeping so I watched the first 3 episodes of Walking Dead.  Its a pretty show.  Some things bug me.  Though none of them concern the Zombies.  For the most part they make sense except for how whole the Zombies are if you tun into a Zombie by a bite or scratch and Zombies eat humans.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »
30 Rock.

There's 4 seasons up on Netflix. If you haven't seen this show, it stars Alec Baldwin, Tracy Jordan and Tina Fey. Selma Hayek makes an appearance throughout season 3 and is in one of my favorite episodes (so far). Haven't finished that season nor have I seen season 4, so maybe she continues to be in it which would be awesome.

Anyway, don't put off this show. It's hysterical. Seriously, at least once an episode I find myself rewinding a bit to replay a joke that I found amazing.

Parks and Recreation.

The fourth season started a month ago and it's on track to be the funniest yet. Catch up on the first three seasons then watch the newest episodes. Unfortunately season 1 is by far the worst, but is kinda necessary to understand some of the characters quirks. Anyway, season 2 picks up with a full head of steam. And season 3 is my favorite (though season 4 is already looking to takes its place).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:53:00 PM by Stogi »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
I enjoy 30 Rock.  Shame that not all of them are on Hulu Plus like they use to be.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »

Is it exclusively worth it? Probably not. I don't think any single show would be, however. That said, it's likely you'll find at least a few series that you enjoy.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 04:11:18 PM »

Is it exclusively worth it? Probably not. I don't think any single show would be, however. That said, it's likely you'll find at least a few series that you enjoy.
Especially if you like Discovery or Cartoons or Star Trek.

Discovery you can watch Mythbuster, Ice Road Truckers, Ancient Inventions, etc.
Pawn Stars and American Pickers for History.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2011, 04:31:49 PM »
Those examples make me feel sorry for what Disco and History have become. lol

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2011, 04:39:19 PM »
Those examples make me feel sorry for what Disco and History have become. lol
Discovery has always been that way if you really think about it.  History yeah.  I don't know what happened there.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2011, 05:08:27 PM »
A few months ago the Blockbusters near my parents' house closed.  The one near my house had closed a few months prior to that.  Netflix in Canada sucks balls.  The selection is pathetically slim.  The problem is that since Canada is a different country the distribution rights are different.  A deal made to show a film on Netflix in the US does not necessarily apply to Canada.  Sometimes completely different companies have the distribution rights in the different countries.

This has created an annoying situation where in my area legal movie viewing has become a scarcity.  Renting essentially does not current exist.  The only options are to either catch a film while in theatre, buy the DVD or Blu Ray (and for a new film that's kind of pricey for something you've haven't seen and don't even know if it's good) or just plain pirate the film.  Netflix is stuck in a catch 22 where the selection does not improve if the Canadian market does not demonstrate itself to be profitable.  But without a good selection there is no value is subscribing to Netflix.  I honestly think if the streaming video options do not improve, Canada will lose the after-theatre-run movie market to piracy.

During my free trial of Netflix I did see some good stuff (in fact my brother and I pretty much saw EVERYTHING good).  The two best films I watched were The Thing and Dark City.  In fact I've got a petty bias against the new Thing movie becaues I figure there is no way in hell it will compare John Carpenter's version (which itself was actually a remake of a REALLY bad and dated film).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »
You Canucks can watch Yankee Flix through a Proxy.

I hear it works great. Try it out.

edit: I think it even works with your Canadian Account log-in.
But I don't remember the details since it doesn't apply to me.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »
The two best films I watched were The Thing and Dark City.  In fact I've got a petty bias against the new Thing movie because I figure there is no way in hell it will compare John Carpenter's version (which itself was actually a remake of a REALLY bad and dated film).

Both outstanding films.

That said, I don't think it's fair to categorize The Thing as a mere remake of The Thing from Another World. It's really not. If anything, it's a more accurate adaptation of the novel, Who Goes There?. Admittedly, Carptender spiced it up considerably with a ton of subtle nods to At the Mountains of Madness. The stands on its own however, and holds up wonderfully due a superb directing, outstanding special effects, and knowing that sometimes... just sometimes... less is more.

There's really no question as to whether or not it deserves to be remade... I mean, have a "prequel" produced. No suspense? Bad CGI? No thanks. If you really want more from The Thing, go play the video game instead. It acts as a direct sequel to the film, and does so in a satisfying enough manner.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:49:41 PM by Morari »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2011, 06:54:38 PM »
How can The Thing have a sequel though?

Doesn't MacReady blow Childs away with a flamethrower at the end? Even though we don't actually see Childs die, MacReady giving Childs  some booze and him taking a swig of it without any concern of MacReady being The Thing proves that Childs is. MacReady acknowledged that and I'm sure he torched his ass.