Author Topic: Nintendo Dry spell - Give me hope  (Read 11154 times)

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Nintendo Dry spell - Give me hope
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »
The last game I bought on a Nintendo platform was The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds; Which is an awesome game to be sure (sorry Mr Jones, You're wrong), but that's a long time to go without something to play on a Nintendo platform. It is true that I don't have a Wii U, and that those games released on 3DS in recent months haven't exactly appealed to me, but still; this is probably my driest Nintendo spell since N64.

Wii U still hasn't offered up something which makes me want to buy it, and as a Smash Bros detractor I kind of don't see that changing anytime soon. On the 3DS front I'd love to be playing Shovel Knight, but unfortunately it's not yet released in Europe.

I guess I'm just hoping to find something on Nintendo's platforms that I've missed or something to look forward to. Give me Hope!

Gouge away.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Dry spell - Give me hope
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »
There is none.

Abandon all hope ye Nintendo gamers.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »
There is none.

Abandon all hope ye Nintendo gamers.

I know you're (sorta) kidding, but this is pretty much how I feel right now. I'm far more happier as a Sony gamer than a Nintendo gamer. Hell, the happiest I've been about Nintendo lately is finally setting up the Wii USB loader on my Wii U.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »
SPLATOON

Also there has been a decent amount of interesting eshop and virtual console titles this summer.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »
Wii U: Let me get back to you next year.

3DS: Umm.....uh......Senran Kagura Burst? Seriously though, look into Fantasy Life. Comes out in Europe September 26th.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »
These are all coming out before the end of the year, among others:

* Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton
* Fantasy Life
* Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy Curtain Call
* Smash Bros
* Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remakes
* Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
* Gunman Clive 2
* Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

3DS has had a pretty big dry spell, but that's a solid looking list of games for fall and I'll probably end up buying several (eventually).  Is it enough to give you hope?
NNID: ejamer

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 01:19:39 PM »
With Wonderful 101 alone Wii U was the best console to have by far.

This year is gonna be the same with Bayo 2.

This is a fact.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 06:23:32 PM »
With Wonderful 101 alone Wii U was the best console to have by far.

This year is gonna be the same with Bayo 2.

This is a fact.

Don't be bringing logic into this thread.  When talking about Nintendo consoles anything that isn't Mario, Zelda or Pokemon doesn't count. 
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 06:49:53 PM »
Can you post what you have? That'd help with recommendations from currently-released items, but I'll toss one out in case you don't have it: Luigi's Mansion 2. It's a bit different from the first game, with a focus more on action, but it's fun action and there is still some exploring if you want all the gems. The multiplayer is also surprisingly fun.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »
This is the first time I've ever only owned Nintendo's handheld without the console so I expect to not have as much to play as usual since I'm cutting my current systems in half.  I've been enjoying Bravely Default but it's a long game and I don't play games as much in the summer so I don't feel like I have nothing to play.  Still when I think about it it has been quite a few months since that game came out and when I look at what else has come out on the 3DS this year it's pretty slim pickings.  I was actually rather surprised when I looked it up.  The 3DS seems to have a healthy lineup as a whole but in 2014 it has been pretty weak thus far.

It was like this on the Wii all the time though.  This doesn't seem exceptionably bad for Nintendo, it just seems routine.  It's super lame that this crap is Nintendo's routine now and I'm the last person to defend it, but it isn't a new development.  The last time I was reasonably happy with Nintendo's output in both content and release frequency where I would move to a new title after finishing with an old one was 2004.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
This is the first time I've ever only owned Nintendo's handheld without the console so I expect to not have as much to play as usual since I'm cutting my current systems in half.  I've been enjoying Bravely Default but it's a long game and I don't play games as much in the summer so I don't feel like I have nothing to play.  Still when I think about it it has been quite a few months since that game came out and when I look at what else has come out on the 3DS this year it's pretty slim pickings.  I was actually rather surprised when I looked it up.  The 3DS seems to have a healthy lineup as a whole but in 2014 it has been pretty weak thus far.

It was like this on the Wii all the time though.  This doesn't seem exceptionably bad for Nintendo, it just seems routine.  It's super lame that this crap is Nintendo's routine now and I'm the last person to defend it, but it isn't a new development.  The last time I was reasonably happy with Nintendo's output in both content and release frequency where I would move to a new title after finishing with an old one was 2004.
But I'm sure you found something else to bitch about back then.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 04:31:17 PM »
Well, yeah. Have you not heard about him talk on the Gmaecube and how Nintendo failed with online, their advertising, their choice of discs, the forced gimmicks of Sunshine, the terrible ocean travel in Wind-Waker, the unforgivable switcheraroo of showing a realistic Zelda Demo at Spaceworld and then having a cel-shaded Zelda instead, letting Rare go, having poor third party support, etc, etc,? Somehow I missed that part about how he liked the output and release schedule from Nintendo during that period but I guess we were all too busy listening to him trash each of those games that came out on that steady release schedule.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:22:55 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
As for Pix(x 2)'s dilemma, I guess the question is, what do you require to have an enjoyable gaming session? Could you play Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and still enjoy it despite it's multiple issues? Would playing Sudoku or a crossword puzzle count as gaming time or something you'd want to play to pass the time? Are you open to new things or want to stick to established franchises?

For me, my current 3DS collection consists of the following:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Crosswords Plus
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Mario Kart 7
Mario Tennis Open
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Pilotwings Resort
Pokemon X
Pokemon Y
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Rayman 3D
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure
Star Fox 64 3D
Steel Diver
Super Mario Land 3D
Yoshi's New Island

These are games I'm still planning on buying for the system:

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate
Brain Age: Concentration Training
Bravely Default
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
LOZ: Link Between Worlds
LOZ:Ocarina of Time 3D
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Mario Golf: World Tour
Mario Party: Island Tour
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Professor Layton VS Phoenix Wright
Smash Bros 3DS
Virtue's Last Reward

These are the downloadable titles I've got:

Crashmo
Donkey Kong 94
Excitebike 3D
LOZ: 4 Swords
LOZ: Link's Awakening DX
Metroid 2: Return of Samus
Pushmo
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
Wario Land 2
All Ambassador games

Yeah, it doesn't have much for 3rd party games compared to first party but for all the complaining people make about Nintendo not making enough games, I think it shows they've had a pretty substantial output of games released for this system. Anyways, many of these games may not be perfect and have their flaws but I'll find enjoyment in them still and they interest me enough that I want and plan to play them. There's a lot of different styles of gaming in this mix as well although platforming is the genre of choice for me. Although there's plenty of e-shop releases and GB titles, I've found that I wasn't missing much having not played most of the GB library growing up. It's a step up from NES games but doesn't compare to the levels reached on SNES and later.

Not to mention, the system is backwards compatible so maybe there are some DS games you'd like to get around to. I'm currently playing through Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time for DS and I've got a massive backlog in my collection of DS titles.

That's what I've found of interest to me on the 3DS. Maybe that helps you or encourages you to try something new.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 08:01:59 PM »
Nice list Khushrenada, I own and want many of those titles as well. Yeah, the 3DS has a wide array of titles available, but it doesn't have too many in each genre, so it helps to have a variety of interests to get the most out of the system. But I s'pose that's probably true of most systems.

The only thing I can think of to add to your list is Etrian Odyssey, but that's a pretty niché series so it has limited appeal. It's mostly for the hardcore RPG enthusiast, but it does well what it does.

I also feel the 3DS library isn't quite matching up to the DS, but it's also the DS. That's about as tough as acts get to follow.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
I don't know. The 3DS library does seem smaller than the DS but then I own 86 DS games which is the biggest software library for a system I've got by far. I'm a big supporter of the DS as when we had a thread asking about what we considered the best console of the last generation and I campaigned for the DS. However, what I noted then and still note when comparing the two systems is that the DS has a lot of good titles but not great titles. There's not a lot I'd point to and say you must own with that system. There's a lot of choice that you can easily find titles you would like but aside from Mario Kart DS which I consider the best entry in the Mario Kart franchise (and even then, playing it on the DS can really cramp out your hands) there wasn't a lot of software that really defined or changed a franchise. I guess maybe some of the Pokémon titles might have also helped broaden the series but I just buy the games. I never play them. (At least the resale value is always good on them!)

With the 3DS, New Leaf has got a lot of praise and while it may lack a few features from the console version, it is considered the best Animal Crossing iteration so far. Fire Emblem: Awakening has been the best entry of the Fire Emblem series in the west so far. Unlike the DS where the Zelda games where divisive, the Zelda series has been represented with two good titles on the 3DS. NSMB for DS is now regarded as the weakest entry and its popularity of a new 2D Mario game has faded. We differ on our opinion of it but I found 3D Land the best Mario title I'd played since Sunshine. Mario Golf was pretty strongly reviewed and has online for that series for the first time and looks to be a top entry in the sports series. I really do like Rhythm Thief and will always recommend it. There will even be a Smash Bros entry with more focus on single player which is how I usually play it so that's up my alley. I've been playing a bit of the original Luigi's Mansion for GC finally after 13 years of it being out and I do not like how it controls. I'm sure the LM 3DS game is far superior there as well.

In the end, I think the biggest thing holding back the 3DS and why it feels lesser to the DS is third party software. Third parties really seemed to embrace the DS as much as Nintendo and there were a lot more offerings from them. With the 3DS, they've really pulled back support and just have not had much for engaging or enticing software. Doing a count of the third party software for the DS, 31 titles are third party leaving 57 titles as first party. That's actually not a bad ratio. There's about 22 titles I'd still buy for the DS and half of those are third party. Compare that to the 3DS where of the 54 titles I listed in owning or potential to buy, there is a grand total of 7 third party games mentioned. If the third party ratio was the same as the DS, then the 3DS would look more like the top system it really is. I think it is a superior system to the DS. I just wish more third parties had chosen to support it more.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 07:47:01 PM »
I don't know, I recall the DS being very well received and everyone going crazy for it as well. But I didn't have one at that time and I don't really follow the general consensus of how things go. That said, I know that games like Yoshi's New Island and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team weren't received as well as the DS entries, so things aren't all rosey on that front. But I just look at things from my own perspective, and most games haven't done much for me. I like the 3DS but I think its games are just good, not great.

Animal Crossing New Leaf didn't feel like it added much over City Folk, so I enjoyed City Folk a lot more since it was fresh. I prefer Mario Kart 7 to DS, but feel the console versions are better than both. I haven't tried the DS Zelda games yet, but I'm interested in doing so since they tried to experiment, and though I liked Link Between Worlds, overall I still felt rehashing an old game's world was super lame. I prefer NSMB DS to NSMB2 also, but again the console games are better. Same with Mario Golf. Now I know some of these series didn't have DS entries and I never played things like the Animal Crossing DS game, but it is a part of why I haven't been viewing the 3DS as anything special.

The main area I feel the 3DS is lacking is in RPGs. It has some, but not nearly as many or the variety that the DS has. And RPGs are the main thing I'm interested in with the 3/DS, since most other genres are well represented on Nintendo's consoles. I mean, just look at all the different Final Fantasy games that were on the DS, including the first US release of the real Final Fantasy III. Dragon Quest games were also huge on the DS, and though there are some on 3DS in Japan, none of them have been released in the US. Dragon Quest VII would give the 3DS a lot more points with me, but it doesn't look like it's going to be released here. Then there are also experimental RPGs like Radiant Historia.

Puzzle games are another reason I like the DS. The 3DS doesn't yet have good answers for games like Tetris DS, Picross 3D, Planet Puzzle League, Polarium, Metoes, and others.

I guess that stuff is mostly third-party, though Nintendo was involved with some of it, such as publishing some of the Dragon Quest games in the US. But on Nintendo's side, there is still stuff like Advance Wars missing from the 3DS library. I don't think 3DS has a WarioWare title, or anything else Wario yet. The Kirby game on 3DS is very traditional, perhaps too much so; the DS has many wacky Kirby games. I could think of some others if I looked at a list.

So I guess I agree the third-party support is part of the hole I see in the 3DS library, but I still haven't been too thrilled with Nintendo's offerings. And I compare it to consoles as well, not just DS, and I s'pose the DS had some questionable software in its first couple years as well. I didn't own a DS when I got a 3DS so I'm experiencing all the DS games for the first time. And with exception of Luigi's Mansion 2, I'm finding that I like DS games better for my tastes.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 07:50:44 PM by Mop it up »

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »
DS was a beast, I had two, one  at launch then when the Lite came out, all my sisters had one, my mom had one shortly after Tetris sold her on it, I didn't know anyone who didn't have a DS except a couple of PS fanboys who swore PSP would kill Nintendo once and for all. So far I only know two people who have a 3DS and one of them is my nephew and its the only game machine he has, the other is a die hard Nintendo fan who got it at launch. Everyone I know who had a DS says there is no reason to upgrade to 3DS but most of them switched to phones and tablets anyways. My issue is mostly my eyes are going bad and its a pain to look at a small screen for so long. I know they make a bigger one but it costs too much money for what I can spend right now. Maybe once the job thing works itself out but I don't know I always make excuses.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »
I don't know, I recall the DS being very well received and everyone going crazy for it as well.
The Victor write the History.
The DS looked terrible for the first bit of its existence.  It was the first handheld Nintendo system after the original GB that you could easily pick one up the next day.  Finding games for it that first night was interesting because different stores got different games.

It wasn't until Nintendog and Brain Training came out that the DS started to pickup steam.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 11:34:39 PM »
I think it's weird that the concept of the "killer app" died last gen and yet people are looking for that one game to make them buy a Wii U.

All Wii Sports aside, of course.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 01:04:30 AM »
I think it's weird that the concept of the "killer app" died last gen and yet people are looking for that one game to make them buy a Wii U.

All Wii Sports aside, of course.

I was just about to counter you and then I saw the spoiler text. Still, why would you say the concept of killer app is dead? I never heard of it dying and it seems to me the idea is still very much alive.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 09:14:49 AM »
I don't know, I recall the DS being very well received and everyone going crazy for it as well.
The Victor write the History.
It wasn't until Nintendog and Brain Training came out that the DS started to pickup steam.

Totally agree with Ceric here - the original DS hardware sold ok but didn't really take off until there was some big (causal) software titles released. 

From memory, wasn't the DS Lite hardware revision a pretty big deal too? People often forget how ugly and bulky the original DS hardware was.  I seem to recall the Lite edition spurring sales nicely - it is what convinced me to finally buy in - but can't remember if Nintendo had already overcome the slow initial sales period by that time.
NNID: ejamer

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
I don't think it was slow sales at all I think it was just they had their supply issues under control. DS launched pretty much all to itself GC manufacturing was at a crawl and they hadn't begun ramping up for Wii yet. I remember those annoying it prints money memes showing up pretty damn early on.

I think the Lite took it to phenomenon status but it was already a beast. I don't think the original was ugly at all I had one at launch and I played it until I broke the top screen one day I got mad and slammed it shut. Learned my lesson but I also picked up a Lite shortly after. Mario Kart DS and Tetris DS were out early on, like within the first year or so if I remember correctly and those games sold big numbers but yes it was Brain Age, Nintendogs, and Cooking Mama I think that really took it to the masses.

I am sure that massive Sales thread in the Console discussion was started when DS was still fairly new so numbers might not be too hard to find.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »
For all you history fans, here's the story. Easy to remember.

The DS is released. It sells many systems right away. It isn't a blow-out sale like the Wii but it still has a solid holiday season. However, the opening line-up of games is weak. After Christmas, sales drop off considerably. For January-May, there are 1-2 new games released for it a month like Yoshi Touch and Go, Pac-Pix, Zoo Keeper and Polarium.

Meanwhile, the PSP releases with around 16-20 games and UMD movies. While it also has a lot of sales, its opening months don't reach the installation base the DS established in its first couple months in part because of the cost of the system. However, its sales stay steady and it sells more per month/week then DS which has slowed in sales.

However, June sees the release of 2 big titles. Kirby: Canvas Curse and Meteos. It now suddenly has some must-have games for the system that begin to show off what the system can do. Kirby is praised in particular for its use of the touchscreen and for being a unique experience that can only be done on the DS. A new color is released for the system, Electric Blue, along with Super Mario 64 DS packed in. (This inspires me to buy one). However, sales are still below PSP but things are getting closer now between them and it isn't as big a gap.

Then Advance Wars; Duel Strike and Nintendogs comes out in August and Nintendogs proves to be the killer app for the system. I remember IGN's review saying something along the lines as though the DS was designed around this game that it felt so natural and took advatange of all the system had to offer. Now the DS is picking up steam. It starts to outsell the PSP again although there a couple times where the PSP outpaces it in a week or month. A few more games come out for it, the most notable being Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

In November, the DS already having gained much momentum from summer on, now takes off. Mario Kart DS is released and with it, Nintendo enters online gaming. Mario Kart DS proves to be one of the most popular iterations of the series yet (and my personal favorite) and causes the system to dominate the holiday season. Further adding fuel to this firestorm is the release of Animal Crossing: Wild World in December furthering the online beginnings of Nintendo and becomes one of the all-time best selling DS games and cements Animal Crossing as a legitimate Nintendo Franchise to be added to its stable.

Although the PSP does well during the holiday season, it has lost the momentum and good press it had in the spring. It would still put up a fight in 2006 but with the release of the DS Lite revision along with the Brain Training game and New Super Mario Bros., the DS effectively ends the PSP challenge of the handheld market and goes on to become Nintendo's greatest success, printing money for the company for another 6 years. The shaky start and intial negative comparisons to the PSP would be erased and fade from memory during this long stretch of domination.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:04:13 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »
The DS may not have sold too well in the beginning and the media were predicting the PSP would stomp it, but Nintendo fans who did buy a DS were still liking it and positive about it. That's what I meant.

I don't think a killer app has as much impact as it once did and has changed meaning a little bit. More and more systems are trying to diversify their lineups and have several killer apps that appeal to different groups of people rather than just launching with one big game everyone wants. Super Mario 64 was the reason anyone bought an N64 in its first year, but Wii U has several answers of why people bought it.

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »
well damn nice play by play. Now that you bring it up I am starting to remember but I think the reason I remember DS being such a hit early on was party because everyone I knew had one, but again they all had GBA-SP too so that shouldn't have been much of an indicator.