Community Forums > NWR Forums Discord

I grow to hate the web

<< < (4/5) > >>

Stratos:
Don't forget the insistence that you let them access your location data (for a blog?) and the offer to "install" a shortcut on your phone as if an obscure news site deserved to appear as an app on your screen.

If you are sneaky, there are ways around it. You can inspect the elements via developer tools in Chrome and delete some of the parts blocking the screen to read an article if you know what you are doing and they didn't make the site very well. But typically I am lazy and will just tell google (when browsing news via google now) to never show articles from them again and move on with life. Oh, and I switched to Brave Browser, as it blocks most everything by default.

RABicle:

--- Quote from: nickmitch on May 27, 2019, 10:11:40 PM ---The only thing missing is a publication you've never heard of saying you have 3 free articles left before you run out, but you can get 3 months for just $1, cancel anytime.

--- End quote ---
This is honestly, one of the less egregious monetisation strategy. It's just a dollar. What else were you going to spend it on? refined sugar?

But yeah using the web fucking sucks these days. I think I'm going back to my car radio for news now.

pokepal148:
I've had some video sites set up so when you click the "skip ad" button on the video it just opens up a new window with some ad deal going on.

RABicle:
What sort of video sites would do that? 🤔

nickmitch:

--- Quote from: RABicle on May 31, 2019, 12:06:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: nickmitch on May 27, 2019, 10:11:40 PM ---The only thing missing is a publication you've never heard of saying you have 3 free articles left before you run out, but you can get 3 months for just $1, cancel anytime.

--- End quote ---
This is honestly, one of the less egregious monetisation strategy. It's just a dollar. What else were you going to spend it on? refined sugar?

But yeah using the web fucking sucks these days. I think I'm going back to my car radio for news now.

--- End quote ---

Sure, the dollar is a low introductory price, but it always goes up after the trial to $7-10/month.  My biggest issue is when it's not a site I've never heard of and can't say I plan on coming back to in the 3 months.

I'd honestly rather they just charge me like 15 cents to read the one article and I can just go about my day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version