Author Topic: XboxOne ~News/Rumor/Speculation~ Biggest Console Released This Gen!!  (Read 789480 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Xbox 720 has been a very common way to reference the next gen Xbox since the name for the current gen Xbox(360) has been revealed.

No one is saying that that is what the next system will be called, it just called that so that you know we are discussing the NextGen system for the Xbox brand. Much like we say Wii2/SuperWii or PS4. It just a name given so that there is no confusion as to what we are talking about. You don't like the name? fine, call it something else, it's not gonna bother me.

As far as teh language discussion.... if it's something you want to discuss, then fine, discuss it, but go make a thread for in in General Discussion and discuss it there. That is not what this thread is about. Maybe vudu or UB can help you out and move all the relevant post to that new thread so you won't have to start it from scratch. That discussion is derailing this discussion and that's why it shoul dbe taken somewhere else. It's not even videogame related.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
"Xbox" is clearly the brand name.  I encounter tons of people who refer to their Xbox 360 as just their "Xbox".  360 was a really stupid name and is so cumbersome to say that that is probably why so many people just say "Xbox".

Next time, I don't think it matters too much what the name is as long as it still uses the Xbox brand.  Yeah they probably called it the 360 so that their 2 didn't go against the Playstation's 3.  It's dumb but seems pretty much dead on with how marketers think.  But next gen they could call is the Xbox DX or something like that and it would be fine.  With something like that, then maybe people will refer to the system by a unique name and not just call it an "Xbox" again.  It's probably better for MS that each Xbox be referred to by it's own name.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
That's odd. I find my friends and I reference 360 as well... the 360.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Totally agree with Ian, the system is called Xbox, and when the NeXBoX comes out, people are going to refer to it as 'the new Xbox' regardless of what MS calls it.

@BnM
I see what you're saying, but it was relevant to the thread, in that we were talking about gimmicks pushing the next system, and that evolved into what is a gimmick, but it really doesn't need to be taken much further, so it doesn't warrant its own thread but I do think we should have a thread about 3D TVs and movies... Guess I'll go start one.

Maybe I should post this in the Kinect thread, but it is relevant to the NeXBoX as I think it will be integrated with the Kinect:

CNN just had on the guys from MIT who did the Minority Report-like interface for pictures (BnM posted a vid in the Kinect thread) and they were showing how it could interact with websites. The guy was rather easily zooming in and out, and moving around the screen, but what really caught my attention was him saying that this could be potentially used for business and courtroom presentations. He didn't say so, but presented the Kinect way, the presenter would no longer need a laser pointer to highlight things, and neither would they need to go back to their laptop or have a remote to switch slides. If by the time the NeXBoX comes out, MS can integrate the best of Kinect hacks, and make a gaming PC console (as in it does everything a PC does but uses a TV or projector as a monitor) they could have a very mainstream device, that appeals communities beyond the gaming one. They could even make it laptop-like to boost its useability, and backwards compatible with the 360 and original Xbox by shutting down eveything else to do so to combat piracy, maybe even do that for console (multiplatform) games as well.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
"Xbox" is clearly the brand name.  I encounter tons of people who refer to their Xbox 360 as just their "Xbox".  360 was a really stupid name and is so cumbersome to say that that is probably why so many people just say "Xbox".

Next time, I don't think it matters too much what the name is as long as it still uses the Xbox brand.  Yeah they probably called it the 360 so that their 2 didn't go against the Playstation's 3.  It's dumb but seems pretty much dead on with how marketers think.  But next gen they could call is the Xbox DX or something like that and it would be fine.  With something like that, then maybe people will refer to the system by a unique name and not just call it an "Xbox" again.  It's probably better for MS that each Xbox be referred to by it's own name.
Xbox DX sounds more like a special edition Xbox, than a next-gen system.  Otherwise, I agree.  They should aim to have Xbox as the company brand, with their new system having a distinct name.  Something like "Xbox Master System", or "Xbox GameCube" (but obviously with original names).  Ideally you'll know who makes it, and that it's the new next-gen one.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
"Xbox Advance"
is your sanity...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Maybe they'll make Kinect the only standard controller and call the thing "KineX-box"
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
I'm gonna put all of my money on either Xbox 1080 or Xbox 3D.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
"Xbox 4D" is better, because it implies that it is somehow superior to 3D, and at the same time it puts a 4 in it to give it that marketing competitiveness to go against the PS4. Calling it "Xbox 3D" won't work, because the 3 in it makes it seem too last generation.
is your sanity...

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Crysis may not be capable of being ported to the Xbox 360 but it doesn't really look it in screenshots.  It's not WAY better like we had before

You're blind.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5579/crysis2007102923551468lo2.jpg

Consoles could barely render anything in this screenshot individually, never mind at the same time. You only get levels like that in completely linear games, and even then you don't have as much stuff in the area, which is why Red Dead Redemption worked on consoles, but a game like Crysis never will. It's also why Crysis 2 is set in a city and not in the jungle.

And that's not even as good as you can MAKE it look through some simple .cfg editing and mods.

Thats heavy rendered graphics which isnt always needed, should try "thehunter" for pc, free deer hunter game which uses the just cause 2 engine.
Looks amazing and much more optimised http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/955/955624/the-hunter-hands-on-20090220010556256-000.jpg

As for the next xbox, I think if hardware is to continue as it did in the last, what hardware we have now will most likely be whats used when xbox720 is launched in 2-3 years.
Considering a 1year old 4850 which sells on ebay for as low as 80US kills 99% of games atm, the system should have a decent gpu.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:07:31 AM by Nephilim »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
They'll call it the XBox 1080 and force every game to display in 1080p at minimum.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
They'll call it the XBox 1080 and force every game to display in 1080p at minimum.

What would they be able to render in at maximum? :P

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
@BnM
4k, which is four times the resolution of 1080p. It's the new high-class HD, and will probably need those $120-for-one 300GB holographic discs for movies. The RED Epic cameras that they're using for the next Spider-Man and The Hobbit record in 5k (5 times 1080p) and cost $35,000, and there are TVs that display 4k that cost between $76,000 and $200,000 (just from what I've seen on the interwebs) so it's not exactly consumer friendly tech just yet, but if MS was looking for some edge over the PS3, this would be it.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
It was rhetorical question.

You try to make a case for 3D TV being affordable and then say MS could support SuperHD when no one owns a TV that supports such resolutions and won't for at least a decade at minimum.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
It doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint for MS to create a product that only their leader Bill Gates could afford to fully utilize.

As BnM said, this is something a decade away at a minimum. So it would make more sense for that to be handled by the Xbox 1440 than by the Xbox 720.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
so it's not exactly consumer friendly tech just yet, but if MS was looking for some edge over the PS3, this would be it.

Not to mention that those are a waste of money as the human eye is not able to tell the difference when you get above 1080 (at least based on the studies i've seen). Even if those higher resolutions were available, people wouldn't be able to notice the difference.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
so it's not exactly consumer friendly tech just yet, but if MS was looking for some edge over the PS3, this would be it.

Not to mention that those are a waste of money as the human eye is not able to tell the difference when you get above 1080 (at least based on the studies i've seen). Even if those higher resolutions were available, people wouldn't be able to notice the difference.

I bet you'd think otherwise if Gamestop said the opposite.
is your sanity...

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
Wow, so I really do have to lable everything I mean to be a joke as such...

The tech is about half a decade away, and technically, MS could put a GPU/CPU combo capable of rendering 4k for futureproofing (in the right set-up two or three current NVIDIA cards can do at LEAST 4k) but again, I was joking.

4kTVs would have to be consumer friendly before MS thought of incorporating the tech. I thought saying this is the edge MS needs (or whatever way I put it) over the PS3 would make it clear it was a joke, but I guess not.

Edit: I haven't seen 4k, but the lucky people who have say it's clearly better (pun intended).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:43:20 PM by MaryJane »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile

What would they be able to render in at maximum? :P
The maximum would be even higher than the resolution of the human eye. The system will feature graphics so realistic, people will look out the window and say "Those graphics suck! I'm going to go play XBox 1080!"

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
Futurama reference in 5...

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Futurama!!!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I just followed a web crawler here too. such interesting threads.... ;D

But I'm glad I followed this one as it just led me to updating the Rumor Consolidation list to add this as an addendum to this:
March 2011:
-AMD working on CPU/GPU combined (Fusion based) chip for console due for release @ end of 2012; Told to bring schedule in for earlier release.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
MS E3 2011 Rumor List
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2011, 01:20:27 PM »
NeoGAF has just made a list of all MS rumors surrounding this years E3

Quote from: Nirolak
It seems that most of Microsoft's E3 announcements have been leaking out through rumors and trademarks.

There have been so many rumors and trademarks that I thought I would make a thread collecting them all, since at this point, I think we're close to knowing the entire show.

Leaks:
-Halo 4
-Halo: Combat Evolved Remake
-Ryse (Codename: Kingdoms, Kinect Based)
-Kinect Sparkler
-Leedmees (Konami XBLA Kinect Game)

Trademarks:
-Fusion: Genesis (Microsoft/Microsoft Game Studios)
-Fusion: Sentient
-Fusion: Vault
-Fruit Ninja Kinect
-Hole In The Wall
-Kinect Me
-Kinect Googly Eyes
-Tetris Party Challenge
-Build A Buddy
-Gears of War: Exile (Epic's Trademark, Not Microsoft's)
-VC Test

Websites:
-Fable: The Journey
-XCommerce
-Dance Central 2
-Kinect Sports Season 2
-Kinect Fun Labs
-Kinect Disneyland (And About Four Variants)

Game Rumors:
-Codename: Kingdoms (First Person Melee, Rumored Kinect Functionality, Moved To Crytek Frankfurt)
-Forza World (Open World Racing, Developed By Playground Games)
-Kinect Sports 2
-Dance Central 2
-Kinect Fun Lab (Speculated To Possibly Be "Kinect Me")
-Rare Kinect Title #2 (Unrelated To Rare IPs)
-Two New Kinect Titles From Veteran Kinect Developer
-Halo CE Remake
-Gears Of War Kinect Rail Shooter
-Fable Kinect Game
-Kinect Roller Coaster Game (From The Developers Of Roller Coaster Tycoon)
-Big Park Story-Driven IP (They Made Kinect Joyride)
-Alan Wake: Night Springs (XBLA, Possibly Kinect Enabled)
-Kinect Star (Ubisoft)
-Kinect ShowTime (Ubisoft)
-Kinect Raving Rabbids (Ubisoft)
-Monsters: Mass Destruction (Majesco, Kinect)
-Left Brain Right Brain (Majesco, Kinect)
-Harley Pasternak’s Hollywood Trainer (Majesco, Kinect)
-Over the Top Wrestling (Majesco, Kinect)
-Motion Sports: Adrenaline (Ubisoft, Kinect)
-Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Uses Kinect (Found On Microsoft's Website, Essentially Official)
-Mass Effect 3 Uses Kinect (Found On EA's Website, Essentially Official)
-The Sims 3 Pets Uses Kinect (Voice Commands, Both Interview And Box Art)
-SSX Has Kinect Functionality (Website Registration)

Studio Creation Rumors:
-London Studio For Kinect Kids Titles
-Redmond Studio "MGS Family" (MGS = Microsoft Game Studios In This Context)

New Feature Rumors:
-Full Stereoscopic 3D Support
-Zune Features/Services Integrated With Xbox Live Gold
-Kinect Community Site For Users And Developers
-Project Orapa (Combines Xbox Live, Kinect, and IPTV Into One)
-Free To Play Games Coming To XBLA (Dungeon Fighter Online XBLA Seemingly Confirms)
-Xbox Live Diamond (IPTV, Matches Orapa Rumor Very Well)

Official - Confirmed E3:
-Gears Of War 3 (Epic)
-Forza 4 (Turn10)
-Good Science Studios' New Game (They Made Kinect Adventures)
-Sesame Street: Once Upon A Monster (Double Fine)
-Star Wars Kinect (Terminal Velocity)
-Razorfish's DaVinci Kinect Experience

Official - Known 2011 Releases (Thus Likely E3):
-Doodle Jump Kinect
-Hulk Hogan's Main Event (Majesco, Panic Button Games, Kinect)
-The Witcher 2 Is Coming To Xbox 360 In Q4 2011

Official - Potentially Not E3:
-343 Industries' Halo Game(s)
-Zipline Studio's Kinect First Person Shooter (Zipline Studios Is A New Microsoft First Party Studio)
-Lionhead Kinect Game (Possibly Fable Kinect)
-Skype Functionality Is Coming To Kinect (The Press Release Confirmed This)
-Kinect Game From Virtual Toys (Microsoft Published, Developer Of Petz: Horsez 2 and Imagine: Fashion Model)
-The Kinect Games From TGS (Project Draco, Codename D, Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor, Fire Pro Wrestling, Haunt, Rise Of Nightmares)
-PowerUp Heroes (Ubisoft, Kinect)
-Zombie Studios' "Zero Person Shooter" Kinect Game (Unreal Engine 3, Single-Player Rail Shooter)
-Xbox Live Cloud
-Play XBLA Website
-Yu Suzuki Is Making A Kinect Fighting Game

Official XBLA Exclusives - Potentially Not E3:
-Radiant Silvergun (Treasure)
-Guardian Heroes (Treasure)
-Trenched (Double Fine)
-Gunstringer (Kinect, Twisted Pixel)
-Class3 (Undead Labs)
-Toy Soldiers: Cold War (Signal Studios)
-Hybrid (5th Cell)
-Fez (Polytron)
-Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
-Spelunky HD (MossMouth)
-Crimson Alliance (Certain Affinity, Action RPG)

GAF Original Rumors:
-Kinect Object Scanning, Interactive Books, And Education Software (fin)
-Ruffian Still Working With Microsoft (Doffen)

Am I missing anything?

Update:

Frankie says these are just from an ad agency, but in case he's stretching the truth, we'll keep this here.

Invite: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/05/microsoft-e3-badge-hints-at-halo-star-wars-portal-reveals.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Am I missing anything?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:58:51 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
Can't wait to play the **** out of Gears of War 3. Best Coop game ever.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Xbox720 @ E3 2012?
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »
Xbox 720 'likely' at E3 2012, Crytek on board
TimeSplitters 4 in development for next Xbox and PlayStation.
Microsoft is gearing up to announce the successor to the Xbox 360 at E3 2012, and Crytek is already developing a new TimeSplitters game for the next generation of consoles, VideoGamer.com can reveal.

Specifications for the new machine have not been finalised, but Crytek is using Microsoft's DirectX 11 as the current basis for next-generation development. Tessellation, multithreaded rendering, and compute shaders are the three headlining features for DirectX 11.

The Crysis 2 developer says that Microsoft will announce the existence of a new Xbox within the next 12 months, hinting that a likely E3 2012 reveal. Crytek believes that Microsoft will announce and launch its new machine ahead of rival Sony, though the developer is also investing resources into next-generation PlayStation development.

The information was detailed to VideoGamer.com by a high-ranking industry source at Crytek, who stated that TimeSplitters 4 is currently being demonstrated internally, is being built with CryEngine 3, and was being shown privately in video form at E3 2011.

Crytek UK, who produced the other three games in the series as Free Radical, is still handling the development.

Both Microsoft and Crytek declined to comment.

The source reports that the graphics on TimeSplitters 4 are noticeably improved over current generation technology, with the DX11 tessellation effects allegedly having a huge impact on the visuals. Crytek believes that the game - and CryEngine 3 itself - will be seen as the cornerstone of next-generation development.

Crytek has invested heavily in DirectX 11 development primarily to focus on the new consoles, with the upcoming DX11 patch for the PC version of Crysis 2 being used internally as a benchmark of anticipated hardware trends.

As for the game itself, the new TimeSplitters is reported to focus on the series' branching paths and exploratory nature, with sandbox-style gameplay elements a big priority. The current goal is for levels to feature multiple routes that lead to the same overall conclusion.

Funny that WiiU wasn't mentioned at all...
Does that mean no DX11 equivalent features in the WiiU GPU? or that Crytek doesn't see Wii U as a "next gen" machine?

But either way, this is an all but confirmation that MS will have a new console at E3 2012 for me.

First the original rumor backed up with a quote from an AMD worker (see rumor thread) and now this.
We all know MS is horrible at keeping secrets, so it's no surprise that we would hear about it this early.