Author Topic: Sonic Unleashed!  (Read 53857 times)

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Unleashed!
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2008, 10:09:06 AM »
How do you explain companies who *supported* the 3DO? Dev's do what they want because it's what they want to do. I admitted that the point I was trying to make got lost.
Most of the 3DO games were multiplatform, as they were made for 3DO and PC. Games like Wing commander 4 were much more epic then most of the trash of 32x/saturn.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2008, 10:34:17 PM »
Getting back to the Wii, has it not occurred to anyone that maybe 3rd parties think the Wii is too casual for some of their games.
That's occurred to everyone. However, that logic is, ultimately, flawed. Casual games may sell well on Wii, but that doesn't meanthat "hardcore" games don't or can't sell well on Wii. See, I don't think 3rd parties are conspiring against Nintendo. Still, that doesn't mean they're not being hardheaded. How do they know "hardcore" games won't perform well on Wii when not a single one of them puts the effort in developing a game for that audience? No More Heroes does not count. First, it would have bombed on any console. Second, an audience has be established with bigger names from bigger companies. I'm confident that if, for example, Square-Enix developed a true Final Fantasy for the Wii, that same game would sell just as well as it would have on any other console.

The Wii is a big deal. It's sales are proof of that. It can appeal more "hardcore" gamers if 3rd parties would give it a chance.

Not that I'm trying to work against you, but some of these games should have sold better:

SSX Blur:  .17 Mil Americas
Godfather: 0.09 Mil Americas  (That makes me sad, that game rocked)
Scarface: 0.08 Mil Americas
Call of Duty 3:  0.36 Mil Americas
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2: 0.18 Mil Americas
Geometry Wars: Galaxies 0.05 Mil Americas

Sold too well on Wii:

Carnival Games: 1.33 Mil Americas
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2: .95 Mil Americas
Smarty Pants: .51 Mil Americas

So it's just that "hardcore" 3rd party games that are actually reasonably good are selling like ass compared to some low budget minigame collection. 

How do you suggest those games could have sold better?
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2008, 11:36:01 PM »
Getting back to the Wii, has it not occurred to anyone that maybe 3rd parties think the Wii is too casual for some of their games.
That's occurred to everyone. However, that logic is, ultimately, flawed. Casual games may sell well on Wii, but that doesn't meanthat "hardcore" games don't or can't sell well on Wii. See, I don't think 3rd parties are conspiring against Nintendo. Still, that doesn't mean they're not being hardheaded. How do they know "hardcore" games won't perform well on Wii when not a single one of them puts the effort in developing a game for that audience? No More Heroes does not count. First, it would have bombed on any console. Second, an audience has be established with bigger names from bigger companies. I'm confident that if, for example, Square-Enix developed a true Final Fantasy for the Wii, that same game would sell just as well as it would have on any other console.

The Wii is a big deal. It's sales are proof of that. It can appeal more "hardcore" gamers if 3rd parties would give it a chance.

Not that I'm trying to work against you, but some of these games should have sold better:

Sold too well on Wii:

So it's just that "hardcore" 3rd party games that are actually reasonably good are selling like ass compared to some low budget minigame collection. 

SSX Blur:  .17 Mil Americas Not having reviews that emphasized the controls were hard
Godfather: 0.09 Mil Americas  For me a I enjoyed the rent but didn't keep it because I get board of sandbox games quick No real idea actually take that back not be a port of on a merely good old game thats on multiple platforms.
Scarface: 0.08 Mil Americas Same as above
Call of Duty 3:  0.36 Mil Americas  Not be Multiplatform with core demographic on a different platform
Geometry Wars: Galaxies 0.05 Mil Americas  Let it stand on its own to legs not even mentioning early iterations.

That's my opinion.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »

Sold too well on Wii:

SSX Blur:  .17 Mil Americas Not having reviews that emphasized the controls were hard
Godfather: 0.09 Mil Americas  For me a I enjoyed the rent but didn't keep it because I get board of sandbox games quick No real idea actually take that back not be a port of on a merely good old game thats on multiple platforms.
Scarface: 0.08 Mil Americas Same as above
Call of Duty 3:  0.36 Mil Americas  Not be Multiplatform with core demographic on a different platform
Geometry Wars: Galaxies 0.05 Mil Americas  Let it stand on its own to legs not even mentioning early iterations.

That's my opinion.

But that wouldn't likely be the opinion of the people on the other systems!

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2008, 12:46:15 AM »
Man, I liked a number of the games on that list! Third parties sales make me sad. :(

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2008, 12:50:07 AM »
Smarty Pants is an awesome game and I'm THRILLED to see it do so well, me and my family love it, so speak for yourself. In regards to the other 3rd party sales 170k for SSX Blur is not bad at all. Even Scarface and Godfather aren't that bad because they could not have been that expensive to port over. Medal of Honors is the really sad one though.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2008, 01:30:44 AM »
Not to mention that the PS3 version of the Godfather flopped BIG TIME. The Wii version at least sold.

As for sales, I already made a thread  about this. There are a lot of best selling titles on the Wii, some are downright surprising. For example, despite having serious issues that put the value of the company into question Guitar Hero 3 on the Wii sold incredibly well. Hell, if you look at the recent sales data the Wii version is on the top 20 while the PS3 and 360 versions have been going down.

The Wii version of Lego Star Wars: The complete Saga is still selling, especially since its basically the two games combined into one and lacks online play.

The Wii version of Sega Superstar Tennis is the ONLY version that hit the top 50 charts. No word on the 360, PS3 and even DS version.

This is a case of people conveniently looking at something and running away with it. While its sad that these titles didn't sell well you have to remember a handful of them are ports of nearly 2 year old games. If they are unchanged from the original version then expect people to not care and move on. Finally, in the case of multiplatform games the emphasis is placed upon the XBOX 360 version by both the developer and the media(when Gametrailers reviewed Bully: Scholarship edition they only showed footage from the 360 version with only a few shots of the Wii version). So its expected that the Wii version doesn't do as well as the 360 version, but sometimes its surprising how well it stands up.

As for Rayman, you have to remember that the first Rabbids game was a HUGE success that gained a loyal following, so seeing the sequel sell so well ain't that surprising.

Once again, this is people making a mountain out of molehills. Some games could've and should have done better, but the outlook is not grim at all and third parties are not in danger.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2008, 01:48:50 AM »
Man, I liked a number of the games on that list! Third parties sales make me sad. :(

Then here's some numbers to make you happy.

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 2.11 million
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - 1.67 million
Sonic and the Secret Rings - 1.21 million
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - 1.05 million
Red Steel - 1.05 million
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - 1.02 million

What was that about third parties having low sales now?
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2008, 07:17:23 AM »

Red Steel - 1.05 million

Because none of that is inline with the support I feel we are whining for. 

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
You know in all actuality with Sega's solid Tennis background and how good the commercials are for Sega Superstar Tennis I'm still tempted to rent it even though I know its suppose to be bad.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »
You know in all actuality with Sega's solid Tennis background and how good the commercials are for Sega Superstar Tennis I'm still tempted to rent it even though I know its suppose to be bad.
It's not supposed to be bad, just not especially good. The GameRankings average is 73.4.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2008, 11:26:50 AM »
I noticed that Superstar Tennis is rated E10+.  Why is that?  Does Shadow pull out a gun and start cursing at the player for failing to hit serves?
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2008, 04:10:36 PM »
Sometimes the ESRB is retarded. See below:

Race for people's pink slips at night, completely illegal and a constant stream of gangsta rap.

And then there's this:

WTF

I've lost sales to this!

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2008, 05:15:17 PM »

So now "we" don't want Resident Evil and mature FPS games?
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2008, 05:20:36 PM »

Red Steel - 1.05 million

Are you kidding? I want ALL of that, and MOAR!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2008, 07:11:30 PM »

Oh well I don't care if we don't get mature FPSs.  I would want Unreal and Medal of Honor, after that I'm good.

But aren't we talking about having actual Final Fantasy games, RE5, and random other **** that they puke on to 360 at a rate unimaginable that renders most of it generic and not memorable? 

What 3rd party support are we asking for exactly?  I don't buy into conspiracies much ever, so I need to know these things.

Kairon I want all of those except Sonic and the Secret Rings sorry :)

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »
I noticed that Superstar Tennis is rated E10+.  Why is that?  Does Shadow pull out a gun and start cursing at the player for failing to hit serves?

There is a House of the dead mini game and court, complete with rotting zombies. Maybe they are taking into account that the reference might scare younger players and thus must give the warning.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2008, 11:12:22 PM »
F-Zero GX came out before the E-10 rating existed. I believe Donkey Kong Jungle Beat had the honor of the being the first game with that combination of numbers and letters. I'm sure if the rating did exist at that time, no doubt F-Zero would be all over that. [/off topic]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:31:25 AM by Djunknown »
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2008, 08:41:57 AM »
The House of the Dead inclusion makes the E10+ rating seem sensical.

If F-Zero can tone down the little introductory dances the characters do on the selection screen, the next installment might be mild enough for an E rating.  ;)
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2008, 11:24:41 AM »

Oh well I don't care if we don't get mature FPSs.  I would want Unreal and Medal of Honor, after that I'm good.

But aren't we talking about having actual Final Fantasy games, RE5, and random other **** that they puke on to 360 at a rate unimaginable that renders most of it generic and not memorable? 

What 3rd party support are we asking for exactly?  I don't buy into conspiracies much ever, so I need to know these things.

Maul the Non-Believer....
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:59:47 PM by Ceric »

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »

You lost track of what the complaint was in the first place. Someone ws complaing Sonic was going multi platform instead of being Wii Exclusive.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2008, 12:55:40 PM »
Maul the Non-Believer....

I'm not sure what else you said in my post besides just sensor the word ****...

The rat, I guess your right I went off topic.  I take no stand on Sonic's status, games like Viking are getting more attention than Sonic right now.  That is sad.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2008, 02:00:55 PM »
I moved the words to where they are suppose to be.  I think I found my problem.  It goes to the first end quote tag instead of the last.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2008, 02:28:03 PM »
LOL thanks.

And a two hours waiting for actual entertainment is too much for a sonic game, remind me of the damn Uber tricks in Blur. (SOOO FRUSTRATING ARG)

>_>

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2008, 09:21:04 PM »
>>

The rat, I guess your right I went off topic.  I take no stand on Sonic's status, games like Viking are getting more attention than Sonic right now.  That is sad.
<<

That's ok I forgive you this time.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"