Author Topic: The "Digital Games getting Physical Release" Thread  (Read 8614 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: The "Digital Games getting Physical Release" Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »
I read about an idea of keeping just 1000 people happy.

Don't shoot for the moon, don't overexert yourself, but find a way to make 1000 people happy enough that they will provide (on average) $100 per person in revenue to you each year for the content/products that you create. Doing that would result in $100,000 profit, which seems like a pretty reasonable living.

This doesn't translate directly to what these limited release companies are doing, for a bunch of reasons... but the idea of keeping a small, fairly rabid base of collectors happy doesn't seem so crazy if you think about it this way.

Switching to larger print runs would create a different set of risks - instead of being able to rely reasonably well on your existing base of collectors, you rely on the game quality attracting enough independent customers who don't have any specific loyalty to you or your products.

In the podcast interview, they mentioned a plan to use different artwork or minor changes in subsequent editions, but enough original buyers objected that they didn't feel it was worth upsetting those people. Frankly, I enjoyed that episode of Retronauts enough that I'd recommend it to anyone following this thread.
NNID: ejamer

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »
I definitely understand the idea of catering to a specific audience- it is something I have seen work, and fail to work, on multiple occasions. The fact that Limited Run would rather limit their currently satisfied userbase means that they need to aggressively and consciously target specific independent developers in congruence with the popularity and trends of the market, which creates a competitive space for those interested in having their games published in physical format. That's pretty much it, though- it doesn't necessarily raise the bar for quality in the independent market, it rarely promotes potential customers to join in on their venture, and it certainly doesn't encourage larger publishers to handle similar deals. It is a supply-and-demand loop that is mostly closed, and that makes it hard for a "late-adopter" or an outsider like me to support them. While it doesn't matter, per se, because of their already established consumer-base that is likely to be satisfied with the current state of the loop, it doesn't really generate positive press or perception towards them in any way. Again, if they are satisfied with the current state of things, you can certainly admire their commitment to playing it safe. I personally don't, which is why I'll probably never run a successful business, myself.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »
Why are you buying Limited Run games? I think you either fall in two categories:

a: You're a hardcore collector, hellbent on having a complete collection of games on a console. Limited Run built themselves on that gamble and there were enough PS4/Vita collectors to make the investment worth it.

b: You loved a game so much you're willing to double dip (at a higher price) in order to have a physical copy of this digital game.

I fall into the latter category, and I have 5 Limited Run releases. But the thing is there aren't that many people out there. Limited Run's niche in gaming exists inside a smaller group of gamers who actively search and engage with them constantly. And their business has been relatively successful, enough that the owner personally invested in reprints of Sega CD cases.

They have a rabid group of followers willing to camp out on their website every Friday at 10am and 6pm in order to buy their new releases. There is no need to jeopardize that just to appease to a small group of people who may or may not buy your game just because they have the security that there's a larger print run available.

For reprints couldn't they just make an obvious change to the packaging so it's easy to identify the original print run from the reprints?  It could be like Greatest Hits or Player's Choice packaging but not so obviously ugly.  Then those original copies remain collectable.

They've already had a minor kerfuffle after selling games with PAX-exclusive variant cover art only at the convention so I don't know if they're keen on that idea. For many, it's not only about the games being collectible but about having a complete collection. so many will feel forced to double dip. They had to put this disclaimer when Skullgirls came back into stock a few weeks ago.

Please note that what is being sold is the overage in production quantities from this game's original preorder window.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 10:11:32 AM »
b: You loved a game so much you're willing to double dip (at a higher price) in order to have a physical copy of this digital game.

I have two of their games (La-Mulana and Risk of Rain) and fit comfortably in this category. It's like a little souvenir of a game you love.
NNID: ejamer

Online Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 02:02:54 PM »
Well, I guess I can’t pass judgment on those justifications, considering I usually go out of my way to purchase RPGs that come with artbooks and soundtracks. Not on a completionist scale, though.

I just can’t come to grips with either of those philosophies, however, so I’ll just quietly remove myself from this discussion and let you continue about your business.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 12:53:04 AM »
The ol' double dip aka the triple dip aka the quadruple dip

1. Buy it when it releases on PS4 digitally
2. Buy it later on Switch digitally for portability
3. Buy it still later on Switch retail for collectability
4. Buy it even later on the PC for preservation

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 01:12:39 AM »
4. Buy it even later on the PC for preservation because I'm addicted to Steam sales
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 08:41:31 AM »
I almost preordered Mercenary Kings: Reloaded Edition yesterday then decided against it. I have too many games preordered as is.

Point being, I hadn’t heard of Mercenary Kings before I saw Limited Run Games’ Facebook post. The allure of a limited physical release got me to google info/watch some videos (looks decent) and even consider a pre-order. I had no business even giving that a second thought. The game wasn’t even on my radar. The entire idea around what Limited Run Games does is a slippery slope for me. I managed to resist this time. I get this weird urge because something is rare. I don’t want to start buying games because I can.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 11:30:18 PM »
So it looks like PixelJunk Monsters 2 will the next Limited Run Games release. It was supposed to be announced yesterday, but pre-orders would also open shortly thereafter and people apparently didn't like that. The announcement has been pushed to Monday but it appears to have already been botched.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »
The following games were just announced on the Limited Games E3 stream:

Oceanhorn - Pre-Order open now
Night Trap - July 6
Thumper - July 20
Cosmic Star Heroine - August (also publishing the digital version)
Yooka-Laylee - August
Golf Story - September
Layers of Fear - October
Dust: An Elysian Tail - TBD (digital version out "in a month or two")

Online Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2018, 04:26:12 PM »
Limited Run can sod off, but it is great to see all these confirmations.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2018, 11:53:07 PM »
Considering they do a proper pre-order where they fulfill all of them orders submitted I don't mind so much. Lets those who really want physical to pick them up.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
I’m legitimately interested in Layers of Fear: Legacy. Has anyone played it? How is it?