Author Topic: E3 2012 Predictions  (Read 113597 times)

Offline Blitzace10

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2012 Predictions
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2012, 11:02:06 PM »
OMG IF retro Does the next Star Fox then I don't care what else happens

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2012, 11:03:13 PM »
I'd still rather they make a Mario game.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2012, 01:14:22 AM »
I think Mario is in great hands. For me Star Fox, F-Zero, and even Zelda could use a western approach.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2012, 02:49:50 AM »
The only team I want to touch Mario is the team that did the 2D Wario game...that would be a sweet dream come true. 

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been posited, but what if Retro is making Donkey Kong Racing?

They just did Donkey Kong Country Returns and worked on Mario Kart 7 in short order; are they going to mix that chocolate and peanut butter together?

This is probably highly unlikely, but I was excited for the original canceled Rare project, and I think Retro could pull off something awesome.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 16, 2012, 10:41:17 AM »
Retro Studios should really only work on major projects that Nintendo intends to carry an entire holiday season. Games like Star Fox and F-Zero game don't really fit the bill. No matter how good Retro Studios could make those games, they're never going to be relied on a system sellers. Star Fox and F-Zero are among Nintendo's second tier IPs and they're going to stay that way. Why use arguably their best development team on them? I suppose it's possible but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. There's a reason why EAD doesn't develop Star Fox games anymore, outside of contributing. The team has more important projects to work on. Same goes for Retro Studios.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 16, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »
To be fair, Metroid can't carry a holiday season and they did three of those.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 16, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »
The first 2 Metroid Prime games were released in November. Nintendo intended for them to be their big holiday titles.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 16, 2012, 01:51:25 PM »
The first I'll give you. The second was most likely because they had nothing else even close to able to do it that year (Pikmin 2 and Jungle Beat are phenomenal games, but didn't have as much sales potential). Corruption and Other M were bumped back to the August slot. Metroid is a critical darling and a generally high quality series, but it isn't likely to do a great job of appealing to the mainstream.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 16, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »
Metroid is the poster child of a game that is on a well rounded system.  There are enough people who really like it to justify its existance, but it will never be a generally loved game like Bejeweled.  Its something that add the Breadth your system needs as a form of entertainment.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 16, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »
I'm not arguing whether Metroid can carry a holiday season. Rather, Nintendo tried twice and probably decided that it can't after Echoes failed to make a real difference. I'm glad they let Retro Studios finish the Prime series (I'd have a hard time imagining another developer finishing it) even if they stopped believing in Metroid as a big holiday title like Mario or Zelda. At the same time, I'd argue that Metroid matters more to Nintendo than Star Fox or F-Zero. Metroid appeals to wider audience because of the genre it's in.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 16, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »
What if the new Smash Brothers for the Wii U had the option of allowing the gamer to buy DLC based expansions of the vs series? For example:

Pay $14.99 for each of the following:

Marvel vs. Super Smash Brothers
DC vs Super Smash Brothers
Street Fighter vs Super Smash Brothers
Tekken vs Super Smash Brothers

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
I don't think those brands would want to be short sold like that. And the cost of programming balanced rosters might not justify selling them that low unless it was like 5 characters, but then it wouldn't be worth it to call it Marvel/DC/etc vs. Smash Bros. Would be pretty cool though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:09:52 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2012, 07:15:32 PM »
Metroid has the potential to be Nintendo's Halo. I think the only reason the Prime series didn't reach Halo levels was because the hardware they were on (Gamecube) was shunned as a "kiddie" console. We all know that wasn't true, but in the eyes of a lot of people it was. I've never played Halo so I don't understand the appeal, but isn't it basically the same thing more or less as Metroid Prime? The only thing different that Halo had going for it was that it was on a "mature" console.

But be that as it may, unfortunately the Other M fiasco has set the entire franchise back and is going to make it even harder for Retro or whoever to make it popular again. If Sakamoto gets his hands back on the franchise and pulls another Other M then there may be no way the series could ever be restored to where it was. As it is Other M is just a horrible exception to an otherwise stellar series of games. If that were to be swept under the rug and never repeated we can just pretend it never happened and move on, but if Sakamoto decides to make an Other M 2 then I think the franchise is fucked.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2012, 07:43:15 PM »
I've never played Halo so I don't understand the appeal, but isn't it basically the same thing more or less as Metroid Prime? The only thing different that Halo had going for it was that it was on a "mature" console.
Okay, that explains a lot. Metroid and Halo aren't even close. Halo is a shooter, an action game. Metroid is more about exploration and adventure. Metroid can't have the same reach as Halo unless Nintendo completely redefines the series. It was created as a single player game. The draw of Halo is its multiplayer though many like it for its mythos. Retro Studios tried adding multiplayer and it didn't work. NST made a primarily multiplayer Metroid with Hunters and it barely felt like a Metroid game. Metroid needs to stick to being Metroid and evolve from there. I don't think its gameplay lends itself to being anything more than it is, a great single player experience.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
I've never played Halo so I don't understand the appeal, but isn't it basically the same thing more or less as Metroid Prime? The only thing different that Halo had going for it was that it was on a "mature" console.
Okay, that explains a lot. Metroid and Halo aren't even close. Halo is a shooter, an action game. Metroid is more about exploration and adventure. Metroid can't have the same reach as Halo unless Nintendo completely redefines the series. It was created as a single player game. The draw of Halo is its multiplayer though many like it for its mythos. Retro Studios tried adding multiplayer and it didn't work. NST made a primarily multiplayer Metroid with Hunters and it barely felt like a Metroid game. Metroid needs to stick to being Metroid and evolve from there. I don't think its gameplay lends itself to being anything more than it is, a great single player experience.

Yeah, comparing the two is ridiculous, beyond first person they are completely different games. Halo is pretty much run n gun, while Metroid is more of an adventure/puzzle solving game. I doubt Metroid will ever become a big franchise unless Nintendo completely changes everything that Metroid is, like making it a run n gun shooter ::shudders::.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »
I personally think Nintendo needs to create its own suave, super-spy first-person shooter akin to Goldeneye 007 (without being, ya know, James Bond). Make it have ALL of the multiplayer options that the best online Halo multiplayer game has and then some, and give it that Nintendo quality feel. Aaaaaand then, market the living holy jeebus out of it, proclaiming it to be the end-all/be-all Halo killer.

Then Nintendo has its own serious first-person shooter.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »
I predict that they'll show a new 2D Mario game for the Wii U. Maybe they'll put in Mii's to mix it up?

Nah. That sounds shitty.

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2012, 05:28:42 PM »
5 Words:

Retro makes first person Zelda.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »
^^ Or Retro making anything, for that matter

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 17, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »
5 Words:

Ew.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »
5 Words:

No, bad kitty.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »
Link's Crossbow Training was a good proof of concept that shows how an FPS Zelda game could be done. But LCT was very basic and little more than a tech demo. If someone like Retro took that basic idea and fleshed it out a lot more with a story and adventure then it could be an awesome game. Not unlike the Metroid Prime series.
is your sanity...

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2012, 01:08:12 AM »
But Zelda's all about the sword and shield... I just feel like playing with them in a first person perspective would be too awkward. The Elder Scrolls games don't convince me otherwise.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2012, 08:56:14 AM »
I remember reading that Miyamoto originally wanted Ocarina of Time to be in first person. I'm sure he had some idea of how it would work. It's probably not as bizarre in practice as it looks on paper.