Author Topic: Favorite Burt Lancaster Movie  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Manly_Eyepatch

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Favorite Burt Lancaster Movie
« on: January 30, 2017, 02:57:34 PM »
Asking for a friend
Damn those sonsabitches all to Hell!!!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Burt Lancaster Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 03:29:26 PM »
Hmmm. Good question.

Maybe it's the avatar but the first movie that comes to my mind is The Train. I feel like that movie did everything it could with its train concept. It encapsulates Lancaster's talents very well and gives him a good villain to play off in Paul Scoffeld is a good opposite of Lancaster.

He's done some good stuff with Kirk Douglas, has a good film noir role in The Killers, while providing some memorable roles From Here to Eternity, Elmer Gantry and Field of Dreams.

But if I could only pick one Lancaster movie to save from his oeuvre, I think I'd go with The Train. Runner-up: Field of Dreams but he's more of a supporting role in that film. I just like that film as a whole.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 05:33:15 PM »
It's a tie for me with The Swimmer and From Here To Eternity.
FHTE because it's just a great movie all around. I actually don't think of it as a "Lancaster" movie, more of an ensemble. I would pick Judgement At Nuremberg for the same reason.

The Swimmer is definitely a Lancaster movie. I discovered it as a kid and we used to make fun of it because it's such a wacky concept. The plot, if you don't know it, involves a guy (Lancaster) "swimming" across the city to get home. He basically follows a path of swimming pools in people's yards that lead back to his house. He shows up, swims across somebody's pool, then goes to the next yard, and so on. He knows all the people that own the houses and as he chats and swims his way across the city, his history and their stories are revealed. High concept stuff.

But despite participating in the mockery of the film as a kid, to be cool with my buddies, I still knew then that it was quite the acting showcase. I've watched it again as an adult with a new appreciation, both for its handling of drama and, yes, for the wacky concept and late-60s groovy vibe.

Actually, looking at Lancaster's IMDb, there are quite a few films of his I haven't actually seen. Some are his most famous. For example, I haven't seen either of Elmer Gantry or Birdman of Alcatraz. I haven't seen The Train either! I gotta remedy that. When I do, my list of favourites may change.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 06:03:51 PM »
FHTE because it's just a great movie all around. I actually don't think of it as a "Lancaster" movie, more of an ensemble. I would pick Judgement At Nuremberg for the same reason.

Actually, looking at Lancaster's IMDb, there are quite a few films of his I haven't actually seen. Some are his most famous. For example, I haven't seen either of Elmer Gantry or Birdman of Alcatraz. I haven't seen The Train either! I gotta remedy that. When I do, my list of favourites may change.

Yeah, if anything, I think of From Here to Eternity as more of a Montgomery Clift film but Lancaster casts a big shadow in it but its definitely more of an ensemble while The Train is definitely a Lancaster showcase.

Elmer Gantry is the role that won Lancaster a Best Actor Oscar. It's an interesting film and I did like Lancaster's role but the ending of the film seemed at odds with what came before. Perhaps if I were to watch it again, I might try to see if there is something I missed but for now it just left me puzzled a bit. Birdman of Alcatraz I like more than Elmer Gantry and might put it 4th in my rankings of Lancaster films with FHTE in the 3rd spot because, as you say, it is just an all around great movie.

Aw heck. I might as well just rank all the Lancaster Movies I've seen now.

1. The Train
2. Field of Dreams
3. From Here to Eternity
4. Birdman of Alcatraz
5. Judgement at Nuremburg
6. Sweet Smell of Success
7. The Leopard
8. Gunfight at the OK Corral
9. The Killers
10. Elmer Gantry
11. Run Silent Run Deep
12. Seven Days in May

Still quite a few Lancaster films I'm interested in seeing and need to get around to myself like: Atlantic City, The Rose Tattoo, Jim Thorpe - All American, Criss-Cross, Separate Tables, and a bunch of westerns with him like The Professionals or Lawman. Actually, the more I look at some of the other titles listed on IMDB, the more I want to see. Didn't realize there were so many Lancaster films out there I've yet to see. Felt like I've already watch a lot with him but I guess not. And I found out that Castle Keep is where Manly_Eyepatch probably got his avatar. Another one I'm interested in seeing. We need to do a Lancaster week. Maybe if the Movie Forum ever gets created here.....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:10:34 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Manly_Eyepatch

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 03:53:12 PM »
Gotta get a few of those titles for screening nights in the officer's mess.
Damn those sonsabitches all to Hell!!!