Author Topic: Phantasy Star Online 2 teased at TGS  (Read 3339 times)

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
Phantasy Star Online 2 teased at TGS
« on: September 18, 2010, 02:06:37 PM »
http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/pso2/

The teaser for PSO2 was shown at TGS 2010 (alongside PSP2 Infinity) and has been making the rounds on streams and blogs. It's now up on Sega's Japanese site.

Release: 2011
Platform: PC

The fact they're recalling the glory days of old with the name (and theme music) has a lot of old-school fans frothing at the mouth (self included). Unfortunately, with the way PSP and PSU have gone, and the fact it's a PC title, there's also plenty of reason to be skeptical. Gamer expectations in general have also changed from ten years ago, particularly in regards to pay-to-play models and "MMO" gameplay.

What can we expect as we enter...

INTO THE NEXT DECADE
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Phantasy Star Online 2 teased at TGS
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »
Phantasy Star Online was one of the best reasons to have your Dreamcast's modem hooked up.

Let's keep this MMO free (not like the old PSO+) and it might be interesting. All the better that it's a PC title, since there is no console as good as the Dreamcast. :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:46:33 PM »
I have lots of good memories with the GC version: all-nighters on split-screen co-op, memory card transfers, being able to pull out the old 'cube years later for guaranteed fun...

The fact it's on PC means it'll be dramatically easier to monetize; the PC audience is in some ways more receptive to that. On the other hand, a PC platform is also better than consoles for free-to-use online infrastructure.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
This would be more exciting news if Phantasy Star 0 wasn't considered part of the Online series. Sega was on the right track with 0 as I'm not a fan of the Universe series. I kind of felt like the DS was holding the game back though, as if Sega couldn't do all they wanted due to hardware limitations.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see Phantasy Star Online 2 on consoles. Considering this game is probably a ways off, appearing on the successor of the Wii is a possibility.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »
I was kind of happy to see that PSO 2 is being developed, but the PC part threw me off. Nothing against a PC, more like I've chosen some time ago that I just don't want to play video games on my PC.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 10:52:56 PM »
Nothing against a PC, more like I've chosen some time ago that I just don't want to play video games on my PC.

That's too bad, as it is the best platform for gaming. It always has been though, so that really isn't news to anyone.

The first Phantasy Star Online was available for Windows... so this isn't without precedent.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 03:10:45 AM »
Sega once again displays their fantastic decision making by not only making this a PC game, but by putting it out in the same general time frame as Diablo 3.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 06:41:07 AM »
Phantasy Star Online was one of the best reasons to have your Dreamcast's modem hooked up.

Let's keep this MMO free (not like the old PSO+) and it might be interesting. All the better that it's a PC title, since there is no console as good as the Dreamcast. :)

Since Universe had a monthly fee I don't think Sega will stop charging with PSO2.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:51:16 PM »
It's PSO2, not PSU2. But even PSO had its monthly Hunter's License fees, so...

I don't see the harm in using a free-to-play lobby system similar to that used in Zero and Portable. The PC platform can support either model, really...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:53:01 PM by MoronSonOfBoron »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
I pointed at Universe as a recent example, showing that their opinion on charging money for 4 player coop hasn't changed since PSO 1-3.