Author Topic: Does anyone else wish the Wii had the portability of the Gamecube?  (Read 18372 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Does anyone else wish the Wii had the portability of the Gamecube?
« on: September 11, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »
People can say what they want about the GC, but one really cool advantage it had was it was easy to move from room to room or house to house thanks to its convenient lunchbox handle and compact cube design. It also seemed pretty durable, so if it got bumped into a wall or two while being moved it probably wouldn't have killed it. That's not so much true with the consoles of today which seem to fail if you so much as look at them the wrong way.

The thing I really hate about the Wii is moving it around and setting it up is a lot more of a hassle than with the GC. Yes, its a very small compact system, but it doesn't have that convenient lunchbox handle that its predecessor had. It is also more of a hassle due to the damn Sensor Bar thing, which has a very long fine wire which inevitably gets tangled up with anything and everything and its just one additional thing that has to be moved and not only moved, but then also placed center on the top or beneath a TV. Nowhere else will do, and that often involved moving things around so its a major undertaking, and occasionally the Sensor bar will fall behind the TV and get tangled up with all the wires back there so it becomes a major hassle. So the sensor bar is one thing that really hurts the convenience of moving the Wii around or taking it over to a friend's house.

So if there were just one thing I could change about the Wii it would be to get rid of the Sensor bar and find some other alternative to it. For example, couldn't the sensor bar just be built into the Wii itself? If not, then what about a built in Camera thing? Isn't that what Kinect and Move will be using? So in my opinion the Wii 2 needs to get rid of the Sensor Bar and have something built into the console that can enable motion control but doesn't require some external thing with a long tangly wire to mess with.

My 2 cents.
is your sanity...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: Does anyone else wish the Wii had the portability of the Gamecube?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
I definitely agree about the durability issue, but at least with the Wii, I can put it in a laptop bag.

Have you tried using a wireless sensor bar solution?  No wires to get tangled up, but you'll have to change batteries.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 08:37:52 PM »
Kinect and Move use separate cameras that you place on (or around) the TV, so they aren't any less complicated.  Don't forget that the Wiimote pointer function is actually a camera, and in combination with the "sensor bar", is essentially a Move in reverse.

On the idea of the camera being built-in, I don't think this would work well since the pointer performance is dependent on the camera/signal source being strategically placed near the TV.

Frankly, I think the current Wii setup is about as optimal as possible, and you can even replace the wired bar with a battery powered one. 

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:49:59 PM »
The easiest solution would be for the Sensor Bar to have both a cord and a battery compartment. Those who can tether it without much issue can do so and not worry about batteries, and those who move it a lot or don't want the corded mess can use the batteries.

All the Sensor Bar does is emit IR light, so you can actually replace it with any IR source if you wanted. Candles are surprisingly effective.

I don't really move my system so I don't care about a handle, but I would have liked if the Wii design were more like the GameCube as it was a lot more durable.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 09:50:48 PM »
They should make a sensor bar with a retractable cord. That would make it a lot easier to move.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 11:20:23 PM »
I actually like to think that the wii 2 will be smaller than the wii itself. Possibly half the size of the wii and I also would like to see the sensor bar either become wireless but retain the same size and form factor, or become a built in the wii. 
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 11:25:13 PM »
Built-in can't happen because many people (especially those with flat screens) wouldn't be able to mount an entire system in the proper position.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 11:33:31 PM »
Kytim, I don't think there is any chance of the Wii 2 being smaller than the Wii (unless you want it to have the same graphics and power limits as the Wii, it will be bigger than the Wii if you at least want it to match the power of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 11:51:29 PM »
Kytim, I don't think there is any chance of the Wii 2 being smaller than the Wii (unless you want it to have the same graphics and power limits as the Wii, it will be bigger than the Wii if you at least want it to match the power of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3).

How big do these graphic chips need to be? Also, Megabyte, I have seen mounts for the wii that hook into the wall behind or beside flat screen televisions.

I had something like a netbook design blended with the DSi design in mind for the wii 2. Basically thinner than the wii, but more elongated like the DSi is to the DS Lite or the XL to the standard DSi.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:21:40 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 12:22:36 AM »
Also, I know we like to speculate, but I think it's still overwhelmingly the most likely scenario that Nintendo will continue to use optical discs in the next console, which would limit how small you could make it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 12:38:16 AM »
Also, Megabyte, I have seen mounts for the wii that hook into the wall behind or beside flat screen televisions.
Doesn't matter when you need the lights above or below.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 01:00:42 AM »
They should make a sensor bar with a retractable cord. That would make it a lot easier to move.

How about a detachable cord? That's a very good idea for another reason too, because the Sensor Bar's cord is very thin and easily ripped/cut/torn/etc. Being detachable means that it could also be replaceable with a new cord, without having to throw out the whole sensor bar.

I also liked Mop It Up's suggestion of a battery compartment, so you could use the cord if you wanted to but if you wanted it wireless you could just detach said cord and pop in a couple batteries instead.
is your sanity...

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »
How big do these graphic chips need to be?
The concern isn't just the size of the chips, it is keeping them cool.  More powerful chips run hotter, so need more room for the heat sinks and fans.  That was one of the things that led to RROD in the old 360's, insufficient cooling.   
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
How about a detachable cord? That's a very good idea for another reason too, because the Sensor Bar's cord is very thin and easily ripped/cut/torn/etc. Being detachable means that it could also be replaceable with a new cord, without having to throw out the whole sensor bar.

I also liked Mop It Up's suggestion of a battery compartment, so you could use the cord if you wanted to but if you wanted it wireless you could just detach said cord and pop in a couple batteries instead.
I think those are fine for a 3rd-party sensor bar, and in fact I think there is a 3rd-party sensor bar like this.  But they both have the disadvantage of increasing the size of the bar.  Battery power alone will probably double or even triple the height of the bar if they use AAA or AA batteries and increase the depth by 50% if they use AAs.  It would probably also increase the weight several times at least.  At least from holding them to me a single AA battery weighs more than the entire Wii sensor bar.

Making the cord retractable without getting snags would probably increase the depth and height by at least 50%.

Having a detachable cable would make the guides for the wire much harder to implement, and if combined with batteries would require the plug being on either the left or right end of the bar instead of the middle (or there would need to be 2 separate battery compartments, which I doubt they would do for the sake of simplicity and manufacturing costs).  The guides could be added back, but this would once again increase the size of the sensor bar.

So I think those are useful features for a third-party or "premium" Nintendo sensor bar, but I think the bundled sensor bar should stay as simple, small, and lightweight as possible. 

In fact, I think the next version could be made substantially smaller.  The area in the middle, for instance, should be mostly wasted space.  There may be one or two simple timing circuits in there, but those shouldn't be more than 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/4 inch (that is the size of much more complicated off-the-shelf timing circuits).  Making that area thinner and just have bumps on the ends for the LEDs and timing circuits would be better.  Also, making the LED areas smaller should be possible, reducing the height to probably half its current height for large LEDs, less for smaller ones.  Also, having the whole thing made out of two or three (maybe even just one) molded pieces of plastic instead of the 5 pieces it currently is should cut down costs.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:52:17 AM by TheBlackCat »
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 12:53:06 PM »
If the sensor bar were to become wireless and retain the same size and form factor as the current sensor bar, could watch batteries be used to power it? Perhaps those flat batteries that are the same size as a dime or nickel.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 01:32:53 PM »
all of the consoles and handhelds nintendo has maid are pretty solid.  The worst of course was the original nes, but the DS(s) have fallen into mop buckets, toilets and they are still kicking.  Then, the wii, while I am a little miffed about the black dots of death issue, before my system died, it hit the ground a few times (hard rock ground, 2 foot fall) and my family took it to hell and back before it died. 

But, now I have two sets of cords and moving the wii, not so bad anymore.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »
Eh, I still think the NES easily beats the Wii in terms of durability. I mean, mine's over twenty years old and still works fine. Sure, I replaced the 72-pin connector, but that wasn't until only a few years back, and it technically still worked, just not very well. That replacement was pretty easy and cost $8. The Wii, on the other hand, lasted only two-and-a-half years before it needed a repair from normal use, and that sure wasn't cheap. That's a pathetic amount of time.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »
Cartridge based systems will inevitably be more durable by their very nature. For one thing, they don't have moving parts so there's nothing that will wear out from use. Optical based drives have motors which turn the discs around and eventually those wear out, plus there's the laser emitters that eventually die out too. But with that, for optical based systems the Wii and GC are pretty damn good. They can't be as good as the cartridge based systems Nintendo once made, but they're not known for breaking down the way the PS2/360/PS3 are.
is your sanity...

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »
Though that's very true, it still puts the Wii as by far the weakest system. I bought a GameCube at launch, and I've played it far more than the Wii. Here we are nine years later and it still works flawlessly (not once did a game ever freeze up). With the Wii, Nintendo sacrificed durability in order to make it small; I'd have preferred a design akin to the GameCube.

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »
What if Nintendo's next system simply clipped onto the TV wholesale?

And you could use those same clips to possibly have it hanging off a shelf or wall bracket. Or your pants.
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »
Though that's very true, it still puts the Wii as by far the weakest system. I bought a GameCube at launch, and I've played it far more than the Wii. Here we are nine years later and it still works flawlessly (not once did a game ever freeze up). With the Wii, Nintendo sacrificed durability in order to make it small; I'd have preferred a design akin to the GameCube.

I am hoping that the wii 2 will like a standard DSi, but be as big as a net book. Would being the same size of a net book help accomodate the bigger graphics chips and help keep it cool. I am also of the belief that the gamecube controller and memory card ports will eliminated, but we talked about this on another topic.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 07:42:50 PM »
What if Nintendo's next system simply clipped onto the TV wholesale?

And you could use those same clips to possibly have it hanging off a shelf or wall bracket. Or your pants.

That would be the ideal solution, since the system would be blocking the TV we wouldn't need to complain about terrible graphics.

Is it possible for a sensor bar to run off a solar panel?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 08:14:05 PM »
Anything can be solar-powered, it converts the sunlight into electricity.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »
Anything can be solar-powered, it converts the sunlight into electricity.

Are they cost effective enough for Nintendo to use on a wireless sensor bar?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »

Using a sample size of one person is not going to give you reliable data.

J.P. Corbran