Author Topic: The Conduit 2 confirmed.  (Read 45075 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: The Conduit 2 confirmed.
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »
The big question is what separates it from other games other than being on the Wii?
Not to be obvious, but Wii controls, which to me are far better than any other type of control. Since the Wii doesn't have a shooter that can compare in terms of content to ones on the XBox 360, let's just start with getting all the modern standards right before trying to create some ambitious new shooter. Besides, it isn't like most shooters on other systems have anything unique about them.

As far as anything changing, for all we know the game is completed by now. It was originally planned to be released in November and the delay was simply due to avoiding going head-to-head with Goldeneye and Call of Duty Black Ops, so there's nothing to suggest that they have an extended budget to continue working on the game.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2010, 01:47:26 AM »
With other systems, I'm pretty particular about shooters. I picked up Halo 3 and Modern Warefare 2, but I didn't pick up Blacksite Area 51 or World at War. Call of Duty 2: yes, Call of Duty 3: no. Resistance: yes, Resistance 2: no. I have The Conduit and am happy to have it, though its seen less playtime than other shooters. Nothing about it says 'finish me'. But I did play all the way through Metroid Prime 3.

As for the controls, while its a draw, its kinda a moot point. Yes, controls are a selling point. If a game controls like crap (Dark Sector) I won't pick it up. But there are plently of games that leap that hurdle. Its not the biggest leap for a game to make, just one of several.

Truth is, as long as the controls aren't borked, I'll be picking up the game. But I have this lingering doubt that I'm going to be making a complete run through. I haven't made a complete run through on any of the Halo games by myself other than ODST, and I have yet to finish Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (blasphemy, I know). So not finishing a game is not new for me... But I think most here sit in that boat.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2010, 01:52:58 AM »
Wrong. How could you just give up? Are you a man?

Why do you people buy games, and entire consoles (just for a new color) when you clearly don't need them?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2010, 02:03:53 AM »

Why do you people buy games, and entire consoles (just for a new color) when you clearly don't need them?

Different people enjoy their entertainment in different ways. Collectors have lots of stuff for obvious reasons. Some people play a game until they get bored or stuck them move on to a new game and they are happy with that. I'm not a pure completionist so once the main story is done and I tire of the multiplayer I typically move on unless there is a good hook or incentive to got for 100% (and it's not nearly impossible). Others just have to get 100% or their life is in utter ruin. Different strokes, different folks.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2010, 02:06:48 AM »
As for the controls, while its a draw, its kinda a moot point.
I will play a shooter only if it is on the Wii because I can't stand dual analogue control, and I know I'm not the only one who prefers Wii controls. So I think you are underestimating how much of a selling point that it is.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2010, 02:22:44 AM »
I will play a shooter only if it is on the Wii because I can't stand dual analogue control, and I know I'm not the only one who prefers Wii controls. So I think you are underestimating how much of a selling point that it is.

Seconded. It feels more natural to me than even a mouse/keyboard combo. I can and do enjoy FPS games on PC and consoles but IR control is superior for me.
My Game Collection

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2010, 05:18:06 AM »

To be honest I think you might be in the minority there. With FPS, especially fairly competitive online ones, it helps to have controls that work all the time, as they should. I don't think that can be said with Wii pointer controls. When things get hectic or finicky I've found that Wii pointer controls stutter. I find myself looking at the ground or at the ceiling or twirling around in circles. They're not perfect, and although the controls may offer improved accuracy in some instances, overall I don't find them to be as good as dual analog, and certainly not as good as mouse/keyboard.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »

To be honest I think you might be in the minority there. With FPS, especially fairly competitive online ones, it helps to have controls that work all the time, as they should. I don't think that can be said with Wii pointer controls. When things get hectic or finicky I've found that Wii pointer controls stutter. I find myself looking at the ground or at the ceiling or twirling around in circles. They're not perfect, and although the controls may offer improved accuracy in some instances, overall I don't find them to be as good as dual analog, and certainly not as good as mouse/keyboard.

I'm guessing that's environmental, especially if you end up looking straight down or spinning in place.  I've certainly never had those problems; when I miss, it's because *I* missed, not because the controls failed me.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2010, 04:56:59 PM »
My control issues are environmental. I have multiple windows around the tv. Daylight play havoc with the pointer. My Wii is a vampire.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2010, 06:46:02 PM »
As far as anything changing, for all we know the game is completed by now. It was originally planned to be released in November and the delay was simply due to avoiding going head-to-head with Goldeneye and Call of Duty Black Ops, so there's nothing to suggest that they have an extended budget to continue working on the game.
Sega just sent out a press release that says "With the overwhelming positive response at both E3 and PAX, High Voltage Software came up with new ideas and took in fan feedback. Because of this, the game is extending its development a few more months in order to bring players the most complete shooter on Wii."  Hopefully, that does mean more actual support from Sega.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline MoronSonOfBoron

• Little Black Rain Cloud
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
    • moronsonofboron @ deviantART
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2010, 09:06:50 PM »
Wow, that actually sounds really slick and cool, as opposed to the usual "additional polish" or "target season" crock you hear from developers. If they have the balls to say that much, I'm inclined to believe them.

Frothing demand increases.
Eat lightning and crap thunder.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2010, 10:15:19 PM »
Sega just sent out a press release that says "With the overwhelming positive response at both E3 and PAX, High Voltage Software came up with new ideas and took in fan feedback. Because of this, the game is extending its development a few more months in order to bring players the most complete shooter on Wii."  Hopefully, that does mean more actual support from Sega.

Link? Not that I don't believe you, but that doesn't sound like something that gets said EVER.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
I used to sometimes have some such issues, but after I adjusted the sensitivity, it hasn't happened since.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2010, 11:24:21 PM »
Link? Not that I don't believe you, but that doesn't sound like something that gets said EVER.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/pr/24270
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2010, 01:55:47 AM »
Sounds promising, looks like the game could be worth waiting for.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2010, 03:33:41 AM »

Different people enjoy their entertainment in different ways. Collectors have lots of stuff for obvious reasons. Some people play a game until they get bored or stuck them move on to a new game and they are happy with that. I'm not a pure completionist so once the main story is done and I tire of the multiplayer I typically move on unless there is a good hook or incentive to got for 100% (and it's not nearly impossible). Others just have to get 100% or their life is in utter ruin. Different strokes, different folks.

Well...alright then.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »
New gameplay videos and nobody cares because they're too busy getting in bed with Activision.

http://www.ign.com/videos/games/the-conduit-2-wii-67276
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2010, 11:19:05 PM »
New gameplay videos and nobody cares because they're too busy getting in bed with Activision.

Do you have a problem with Goldeneye?  I'm not Activision's biggest fan, but they've done well by Wii with Goldeneye, Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, and likely Call of Duty: Black Ops.  Maybe if High Voltage didn't drop the ball so badly with Conduit 1, more people would be interested in the sequel.  Or perhaps they would if the game weren't releasing next year while Goldeneye came out this week.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »
I saw the videos, but didn't bother posting about them. But its good that you did. At least someone is on the ball.

The game is looking slick. The enemies stand out from the environment, and I like how there is some banter between the guys in black armor and Ford. 'Surprise!'

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2010, 12:30:23 AM »
New videos look great.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2010, 01:00:04 AM »
When I played the PAX build, it was better than the Goldeneye build I played by a long margin. We'll see after it comes out though.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2010, 09:49:50 PM »
Looks like High Voltage has worked it's way around Friend Codes and Nintendo has politely asked them not to use WiiSpeak...

Conduit 2: Online Multiplayer Ain't Easy on the Wii
http://bitmob.com/articles/conduit-2-online-multiplayer-aint-easy-on-the-wii

That's where High Voltage runs afoul of Nintendo's rules. True-skill matchmaking is easy; parties are tough. Corso's pretty sure it's against regulations to team up in any online mode, but they did secure a waver to partly bypass it and to circumvent the sticky Wii Friend Code issues.

"We have a Rival system that allows you play with people who aren't just your friends," says Nofsinger, and it will be chat-enabled using the upcoming Headbanger headset. "Not the greatest name," he admits, "but it's actually a pretty good device. Nintendo told us to not use WiiSpeak."

They've also incorporated an entirely new system of patching under Nintendo's watchful eye. "We had some systems in place with the first game, but this time those systems are much better," says Nofsinger, "and because we can do those updates this time around, it opens up a whole new level of things you can do."

Such as downloadable content?
"We have the structure in place for DLC," says Nofsinger, "We're not announcing any DLC right now."

Nintendo pushing the Headbanger as superior to WiiSpeak*? or is Nintendo not liking WiiSpeak support used in conjunction with bypassing friend codes!?

Wait a second... isn't this an "M" (or is it "T") rated game?

*WiiSpeak is pretty shitty.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:52:55 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2010, 11:07:59 PM »
The latter, Nintendo doesn't want there to be communication between random people, only people on your friend roster. We're lucky enough that some games even allow text chat with randoms, but I don't think any game allows voice chat with randoms. The headset is a third-party accessory so Nintendo may not be able to dictate how it is used.

The first game was "T" and this one probably will be too, but I don't know if it's been rated yet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2010, 11:53:02 PM »
But Nintendo helped create the headbanger in the same way they helped create the Ubisoft Motion Controller.

I really hope Nintendo stops with all this over parenting from the top stuff and put some of that control in the hands of the parent through this little thing I invented (and patented so don't even try to steal my idea without compensation) called "parental controls".

It just seems stupid to say, "Include all the voice chat you want, but you can't use my shitty voice chat hardware if you do".

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2010, 06:54:12 AM »
It's because WiiSpeak is a 'family friendly' device. It's bundled with casual games. Headbanger is marketed and sold to core gamers primarily so it could theoretically be used as a loose filter against the people Nintendo is afraid of being aurally assaulted.

Just a theory.
My Game Collection