Author Topic: Why I Like (and Despise) the Wii Integration on Wii U  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Webmalfunction

• Pokémon World Report
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Why I Like (and Despise) the Wii Integration on Wii U
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »

We really do need that GamePad support for VC titles.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/32561

While it may seem like a lazy move to separate the Wii functionality on Wii U into an entirely separate UI on the console, to me it feels like the first true occurrence of two consoles in one. The shop is intact, and the system flawlessly plays all of the Wii games I have tried.

Furthermore, I understand that Virtual Console games are not playable on the GamePad right now. There is just so much stuff (and much more important stuff) to worry about at launch. Call me an apologist (and I certainly am), but to simply have most functionality available immediately is a breath of fresh air after the 3DS fiasco. But then I started the Wii-to-Wii U transfer.

When I was doing the somewhat mournful transfer process between my Wii and Wii U (which was flawless, despite the amount of homebrew on that thing) and saw that delicious animation of Pikmin carrying the data tiles, I saw a the message of Paper Mario transferring over and was immediately excited to replay it once all this launch business was out of the way. Then I realized something: I have never owned a Classic controller.

Because I have a GameCube controller and never played Monster Hunter, there was never a reason to own a Classic Controller. My Virtual Console stuff played fine, and Smash Bros. supported it.

But now, without any GameCube ports, I’m stuck. Because I have a Wii U Pro Controller now, there will never be any practical reason to use a Classic controller outside of Virtual Console games. And, because I might want to experience Paper Mario or Sin and Punishment some day in the future, I am stuck with either never playing them again or shelling out an uncool $20 for a nearly useless peripheral.

So, Nintendo, this is why GamePad access is such a crucial feature to have. It’s not just a matter of being able to play my content in a comfortable manner, but because there is no other way for me to play it.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Why I Like (And Despise) the Wii Integration on Wii U
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 06:23:33 PM »
I'm certain that kind of functionality can be added via a firmware update. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of updates from now to this time next year. :)

Offline NImH

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »
Yeah, I thought of the same thing. The Wii access feels so distant that I hardly want to access it at all.  This really is my only beef with WiiU. All in all, it's a homerun in my book!  :cool; 

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:45:24 PM »
Liking and despising Nintendo at the same time is a pretty core part of Nintendo fandom.

I never thought of this being an issue since I own both variations of the classic controller.  Some sort of Gamecube-to-USB connector would be really good for this and for games like SSB Brawl where using the Cube controller for a Wii game is fairly common.  The Cube controller was not just used for Gamecube backwards compatibility.  Even if Nintendo doesn't want to bother they should at least allow for third parties to offer such a product.  Of course such a product would have more of a market if Nintendo expanded the VC to include Gamecube games.

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
I really am dubious about transferring all my stuff over to Wii U at this point. I wish there was some sort of way to pick and choose what you want to transfer, because there is no way in hell that I am going to move my fully unlocked, completed Brawl save file over to a system where I can't use a Gamecube controller. I do not want to use a Classic Controller Pro to play Smash, it just doesn't work for me. I really, really hope that Nintendo brings out a Wii U pro controller in the style of the Gamecube pad so that we can not only use it on the potential GC VC games, but also for Brawl and the future Wii U SSB game. Sakurai has a lot of influence at Nintendo (even though he technically doesn't work for them anymore), I think he'd be on board for getting a GC style controller available for Smash U.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »
I haven't tried it but I think WiiU games will support old Wii classic controllers.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »
That they do. CCs and CCPs work with FIFA Soccer '13. I'm sure they'd work with other games, too.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 10:30:56 PM »
I haven't tried it but I think WiiU games will support old Wii classic controllers.
I know ZombiU doesn't have a Classic Controller option, only Wii Remote and Nunchuck as far as legacy controller support is concerned. I'm on the fence over buying a Pro Controller. I don't want to buy one or two then later on (specifically when Smash Bros. comes out), Nintendo releases a new and improved version.

Offline BlueStorm

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:44:19 PM »
While I hope we'll see updates to Wii mode in the future.  Don't bet on it.  I'd love to see it, but I don't see stingy Nintendo spending the money to do so.  They skimped so much already, I can't see them spending more than they absolutely have to.  Especially after bleeding so much money the last two years.

<BR>

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 11:32:23 PM »
It is a mess, espeselly given that we are still stuck with the wii shop channel
oh Sure we can see 3ds Games that cant be played on the system on the eshop but i cant use it to get virtual console that i can useon the system
 Get everything i can play on the eshop on the eshop NOW

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 11:35:09 PM »
It is a mess, espeselly given that we are still stuck with the wii shop channel
oh Sure we can see 3ds Games that cant be played on the system on the eshop but i cant use it to get virtual console that i can useon the system
 Get everything i can play on the eshop on the eshop NOW
and this is why we need a doggone mobile site now, this isn't 1999 anymore!