Poll

Who Should Be Added in the Second DLC Wave?

Shrek
1 (2.5%)
Godzilla
1 (2.5%)
James Bond
1 (2.5%)
James Jones
1 (2.5%)
Super Kong
1 (2.5%)
Tutorial Pig
1 (2.5%)
Who cares? Fox Only, No Items, Final Destination
1 (2.5%)
Your Mom
2 (5%)
Malon
3 (7.5%)
Geno
2 (5%)
Funky Kong
4 (10%)
Reggie
2 (5%)
Iwata
1 (2.5%)
The Playstation All-Stars
1 (2.5%)
Goku
1 (2.5%)
The volleyball from Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball
2 (5%)
Nintendo Characters!
6 (15%)
The Mon-Stars from Space Jam
2 (5%)
More 3rd Party Characters!
5 (12.5%)
Sakurai
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 21, 2020, 02:36:44 PM

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate And The Never-Ending 3rd Party Character DLC  (Read 126909 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
K Rool looks like he has the potential to be an amazing character.  He's a heavyweight but has long range projectiles, a counter, and a hover move as well.  I'm guessing they'll probably make him the slowest character in the game to be his main weakness since other wise he looks like he could be pretty broken.

Of course K. Rool was one of the most requested characters along with Ridley during the Ballot which shows Sakurai is really concerned about giving the fans what they want.  The previous Smash Bros Ridley didn't get in because he was too big and K. Rool wasn't in because he was considered not relevant since he wasn't in any of the recent Donkey Kong games.  So Sakurai throwing away his previous reasons for not including certain fan favorites to include the most popular ones this time, it does make you wonder about a certain other character's chances.

Basically with Ridley and K. Rool, the most requested character by far among the Smash Bros fanbase that's left is Geno.  With Square Enix already on board thanks to Cloud, I think there's a good chance it might happen.  Dude's had a pretty dedicated fanbase wanting him since Melee even and Sakurai himself has commented on Geno being an interesting character in the past.  So yeah it's something to think about for the next Direct.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Isn't the most-requested character now Waluigi...?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
I think it depends on how the Smash 4 survey went. I know a submitted a couple requests for King K. Rool at the time and I'm sure a bunch of people did it for Ridley. So, I wonder how strong the Geno faction was in requesting him during that survey.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
I'd say the Geno request was pretty strong for Sakurai to outright talk about him during an interview after the last DLC was released.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/mar/06/i-actually-wanted-include-geno-far-back-brawl-sakurai-spills-beans-one-most-requested-smash-bros-characters/

Sakurai: Geno was actually a character I wanted to include as a fighter. He has a gun for an arm, and just seems like he'd fit absolutely perfectly into Smash.  I was hoping I'd be able to put him in as far back as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but unfortunately that never ended up materializing.

Sakurai: Yes. He's incredibly popular. Even though he's an old character, we keep getting loads of votes and requests for us to put him in the game. Even though he still isn't in as a playable fighter, I made sure he'd be in as a Mii costume so his fans would at least feel that they got something.

So he certainly has a lot going his way this time around.

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I’m ambivalent about Geno. I loved Super Mario RPG, but I don’t have a strong attachment to the character. I way past the point where I’d grumble about a character addition. Still, I’d certainly rather see other characters.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Huh. Well, if Sakurai says he actually has been wanting to include him since Brawl then I think he is in. Since this also seems to be Sakurai's last hurrah on the series (or at least he seems to be acting like he has no idea how to top it after this) then I think he's also going to include some characters he just wants himself. A lot of the Mii Costumes from Wii U seem to be getting turned into fighters or assist trophies and Geno did get a Mii costume so I'd say his odds are really good at this point to appear in some capacity although fighter does seem more likely than assist trophy based on those comments.

I made my comments about Geno before so I'm not going to repeat myself too much but, on a list of characters I care about from Nintendo, he's way, way down on the list. Even when I play Super Mario RPG, Geno isn't really a reason why or one of the characters I want to revisit. Mario, Peach, Bowser, Booster, Mallow, Frogfucius, Boshi, Belome, Toadofsky, the Axem Rangers, Valentina and Dodo are all characters that made a big impression on me in some way and I remember them pretty easily off the top of my head. But Daisy is in, K. Rool is in, Sakurai doubled the Metroid representation with Ridley and Dark Samus and brought back Wolf. So, why should I complain and stand in the way of some other fan's character wish? Because I want other characters ahead of him that's why!!![

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Huh. Well, if Sakurai says he actually has been wanting to include him since Brawl then I think he is in. Since this also seems to be Sakurai's last hurrah on the series (or at least he seems to be acting like he has no idea how to top it after this) then I think he's also going to include some characters he just wants himself.
Ultimate is definitely played up as a curtain call. It doesn’t sound like Sakurai is ready to hang it up yet. In this recent article from The Guardian, he says:
At this point I have been asked to create Smash and so I am doing that, and will continue to do so if the demand is there.
There will always be a demand for Sakurai to make Super Smash Bros. He probably likes playing with other people’s toys, and they seem eager to indulge him (except maybe Square Enix with music). People change; maybe one day he will hang it up.

“Everyone is Here” gives Sakurai some leeway in future installments. If he wants to make some drastic changes in the next one, he’s earned enough goodwill to do so. Granted, he earned it a long time ago. At the same time, people will always complain. Sakurai set the bar with all returning fighters plus new ones so that’s what people will expect. If he folded some Echo Fighters into the main ones as costumes, I imagine most people would understand. I mean, they’ll complain but also understand. At some some point, the character select screen is going to look absurd if it doesn’t already.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:51:43 AM by Adrock »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
They're going to have to use like a scrolling character selection screen, or like netflix-style columns.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
They're going to have to use like a scrolling character selection screen, or like netflix-style columns.

Watch 'em implement a "suggested for you" column with only Ganondorf, a few blue haired swordfighters, and Wolf in it.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile

Watch 'em implement a "suggested for you" column with only Ganondorf, a few blue haired swordfighters, and Wolf in it.

Honestly I'd love to be able to make a "My Mains" column just so I don't have to go through the entire character select screen.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
But seriously, right now there's what, 71 (including "echo" fighters) characters? I think you'd only want to display like 10 per row, so it should have like 3-4 rows, then you just go down or up to cycle through them all. So it scrolls down, but not left to right.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Classic mode is arcade-y. Adventure mode in Melee was essentially Classic mode with some stages that, in theory, were evocative of Nintendo locales and IP, but were just an extension of the stage selection and classic mode mentality. No variety, no real surprises, save for Giga Bowser and Luigi and maybe Giant Kirby.

I'd rather let Classic and maybe All Star mode stay the arcade-y challenges and have an Adventure Mode with some ridiculous and actually, I don't know, adventurous feeling. Sure, it would be preferable if these locales featured in Adventure Mode were literal crossovers, where these characters entered each others' worlds. But the whole concept of Smash Bros. isn't the ACTUAL characters fighting- they're all trophies, or toys.

If you're looking for substantial single player content, I would rather have the variety of modes- home run contest, break the targets, board the platforms, classic, even matches, etc all represent some sort of interesting twist on the Smash Bros. formula that creates the foundation. In the same way, I'd like a narrative-driven, context heavy Adventure mode like Subspace to return. If you think about it, Classic and Event Matches are already triple the size they were in Melee because of the roster size alone. We don't need another arcade-y mode like that, or All-Star.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Look at the last direct that revealed K Rool. That purple chair, that yellow chair, that couch and those pillows! It's been pointed out everywhere that those colors reference Tatl, Tael and Skull Kid with Majoras Mask! I wouldn't have thought anything of it if not for the last direct.

During the E3 Direct look at the back ground. Wooden shelves, tables, rope ladders, green plants and mutha'flethin' red and yellow barrel. That was Sakurai hinting at a DK newcomer! Just look! I would't think anything of the Majoras Mask conspiracy if not for the earthy natural theme that went on the direct before K Rool.

You guys just watch!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
This is crazy. Would Sakurai go out and find a rope ladder, then pin it up in Namco Bandai offices to shoot a 25 minute video for an obscure hint that nobody noticed for months?

I'm leaning towards yes.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
I have exciting news exclusively for NWR: Dark Samus is officially not a girl.

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/blog/index.html?category=cat02_fighter_04-dash

8/16/2018
Today's Fighter
#4: Dark Samus
Dark Samus joins the battle as Samus's echo fighter. With floatier movement, it's a little different from Samus--and it doesn't roll when dodging or jumping. If you look closely, you can see that its bombs and missiles look a little different, too.

-RFA
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:25:28 PM by ReggieFA! »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
No. You want Pokemon? Get a Game Boy.

-RFA
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
I have a gameboy but the pokemon on it was boring and didn't have any of the good ones and I didn't have much color so I gave it away. I want a stage just for Lucario in smash like if the stage was a giant statue of him and if you played as lucario on it is much easier to win I think everyone else wants that too reggie did you ask your boss?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Will there be more lucario Amiibos I want to collect more but I can't find any like the one he was in the movie with aaron right by him.

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
reggie did you ask your boss?

Not funny :reggie:

-RFA

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
When is Reggie going to be in Smash? He's clearly been the best Nintendo character since 2004.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
When is Reggie going to be in Smash? He's clearly been the best Nintendo character since 2004.

The roster will never feel “complete.” Ridley and King K. Rool were my two major omissions of older Nintendo characters. I always thought King K. Rool should make the cut even if I was never into Rare’s DKC games. I’m ambivalent toward most of the roster though I’m all for series representation. For example, I don’t give a **** about Little Mac. I’m still glad he made the roster.

Anyway, someone on ResetEra mentioned the great idea of including the original Super Smash Bros. as a bonus especially since it’s looking likely that Masterpieces will not return due to the end of Virtual Console.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Before the launch of Brawl, Smash 3DS and Wii U I kept having to hold my breath wondering if Ridley would ever become playable. That weight has been lifted and while I really really really want Dixie Kong that nagging feeling that there will always be an empty hole in my smash heart is more or less completely gone.

For the most part I am just coasting on all the updates and info. I got Ridley! K Rool's in and one of these days Dixie is sure to follow. I don't need anything anymore aside from good balance and the announcer going "SUPER SMASH BROTHERS... ULTIMATE!!!!!!"

Looks like Adrock has his completed roster, anyone else?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Looks like Adrock has his completed roster, anyone else?
Not quite. We all have personal favorites who haven’t made the cut and may not ever. However, I’m at the point where it feels kind of gross to complain about the roster (or like anything about the amount of content) simply due to the sheer amount of work that has been put into the game. For me, especially with the additions of Inkling, Ridley, and King K. Rool, there are no glaring absences of pre-2017 Nintendo characters. Sure, there are characters I want (e.g. Midna) but none I feel leave a hole in the roster. I’m not sure I’m explaining this well. Like, it always felt wrong that Ridley never made it. In Melee, it felt wrong that Wario didn’t make it. The roster will never feel complete, but every addition for me feels like a bonus now.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
at this point the only major omissions from the roster are Banjo, Spyro and Crash and those are third party characters.