Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217381 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 10:38:40 PM »
IGN Wii is still my favorite site, I respect both Matt and Mark for their opinions and tend to find them quite informative. Not a big fan of the newer people though like Daemon.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 03:58:39 AM »
Why would they have Daemon review and RPG if he clearly dislikes basic RPG conventions?!?!

Maybe its like Deg and those Yu-Gi-Oh reviews...

Are things so slow that we've had to bring back 2002 and ragging on IGN again for their review quality?

EDIT: or whatever year it was we were laughing at the lack of "skins" for Mario Kart : Double Dash being a serious criticism...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 05:19:21 AM »
2003: the year GameCube died.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 03:57:38 PM »
http://gonintendo.com/?p=62925

THANKS, with that summary I've learned NOTHING NOTHING about HOW IT PLAYS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 04:22:49 PM »
I saw no mention of the battle system. It is like they are trying to find something wrong with the game.

Now if you excuse me I am going to play Streets of Rage 2.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 05:12:58 PM »
I saw these at Neogaf and thought that they were relevant to this topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s0lzbCK9f8
*Bad language warning*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-zAljF4B0&feature=related
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 05:50:55 PM »
I feel like a Republican for saying this, but the gaming media is terribly bias; not necessarily towards one company (though that is there), but towards themselves and their site. Some of the biggest sites like IGN have an agenda and it sucks. Matt has always been looking out for his reputation. Just like many journalists in the field, he's looking out for himself and not for us. The sad thing is, even with editors egos as high as they are, they still report on GAMES; something that isn't even remotely important or of worth.

It's sad.

But that's the reason I like this site so much. They do it for free. They do it not for money, but for their own interest and passion. You can really tell.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 05:57:23 PM »
OMG that was hilarious.That Tomb Raider one about a deeper storyline.That Goldeneye one was rediculious.

Stogi I totally agree with you on every point.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 10:29:23 PM »
I feel like a Republican for saying this, but the gaming media is terribly bias; not necessarily towards one company (though that is there), but towards themselves and their site. Some of the biggest sites like IGN have an agenda and it sucks. Matt has always been looking out for his reputation. Just like many journalists in the field, he's looking out for himself and not for us. The sad thing is, even with editors egos as high as they are, they still report on GAMES; something that isn't even remotely important or of worth.

It's sad.

But that's the reason I like this site so much. They do it for free. They do it not for money, but for their own interest and passion. You can really tell.

I agree.  They definitely look out for their own reputation, unwilling to go against the mentality of the herd.  But fortunately, it does come back to bite them every now and then.  I'll never forgot SurferGirl ripping on Hillary Goldstein after he stated in all soberness that the acting in GTA 4 was certainly  "oscar caliber".

Her blog has since been removed, but here's the original post:

I was looking through Hilary Goldstein's previous reviews and couldn't help but notice a pattern.

The Armadillo Cowboy Club Review
This is the cowboy's dream.
by Hilary Goldstein

November 25, 2001 - Coyotes are an ugly, cowardly lot more worthy of pity and disdain than admiration. This is what you'll learn playing through the single-player campaign in Wild Heart Ranch's The Armadillo Cowboy Club. The series cheered (and criticized) for glorifying nonviolence has taken an unexpected turn: it's gone legit. Oh sure, you'll still capture criminal coyotes, fire slingshots laden with bees, send lassos soaring, engage in street shootouts and saloon fights and do many, many other good deeds, affirming main character Sam the Rattler's beliefs. The Armadillo Cowboy Club gives us characters and a world with a level of depth previously unseen in gaming and elevates its story from a mere slapstick western to an Oscar-caliber drama. Every facet of Wild Heart Ranch's new masterpiece is worthy of applause. Without question, The Armadillo Cowboy Club is the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

*NSYNC Get to the Show Review
This is the pop dream.
by Hilary Goldstein

December 5, 2001 - Pop stars are an fantastic, beautiful lot more worthy of admiration than pity and disdain. This is what you'll learn playing through the single-player campaign in Infogrames's *NSYNC Get to the Show. The series cheered (and criticized) for glorifying the musical superstar's rider has taken an unexpected turn: it's gone legit. Oh sure, you'll still play hackey sack, run the band's errands, cook burgers, assist Lance and JC and do many, many other crazy deeds, with a reward to putting together a hot *NSYNC concert complete with cool dance moves, sensational lighting and life-affirming music. *NSYNC Get to the Show gives us characters and a world with a level of depth previously unseen in gaming and elevates its songs from a raucous community theater production to an Tony-caliber musical. Every facet of Infogrames's new masterpiece is worthy of applause. Without question, *NSYNC Get to the Show is the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Fascinating.

Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »
Here's another crappy review 1UP's review of Castlevania Judgement. The review is so short I can in fact just quote it on here.

Castlevania's seen some interesting evolutions, going from plodding 2D side-scroller to Metroid-like exploration adventure to 3D Devil May Cry clone. But fighter Castlevania: Judgment is one evolution I never expected.

In Konami's words, this is a "Versus Action" game -- an amalgamation that fuses action-game mechanics with a fighter. In my words, it's the bastard son of neologism. Beyond the strange art direction, Judgment suffers from jarring mechanics that disregard established fighting conventions. The uncompromising camera displays the action in a bizarre, disconcerting manner that tracks players in a 3D area filled with environmental hazards. And in combat, the camera's way too difficult to control.

As the two warriors move independently around the stage, the camera doesn't adjust according to their positions, focusing instead on whoever's in front of the camera. It bobs and weaves back, forth, left, and right -- constantly flip-flopping between the two characters in a not-quite-over-the-shoulder perspective. It's highly disorienting, and it's almost impossible to gauge the correct distance between players, especially when one's in the background while the other is in the foreground. Spacing (a crucial strategic factor in fighting games) is thrown and tossed aside in favor of a loose mechanic that affords too much freedom of movement. And because most special attacks are terrible at restricting the opponent's space and options, you often spend more time chasing after an opponent than engaging them. In short, matches are sloppy, silly, tiresome, and infuriating.

The camera isn't the only shortcoming. Character design stands at the center of every fighter -- and unfortunately for Castlevania's cast of vampires and vampire killers, Judgment leans dangerously over the edge. Characters vary in quality, from formidable to throwaway to forgettable. Series mainstays Simon Belmont, Alucard, and Maria Renard all carry themselves with conviction, but most of the second-tier guys -- especially Golem and Cornell -- feel underpowered and anemic. As such, outwardly screwy character balance ruins any potential respectability.

As a fighter, Castlevania Judgment employs too many design ideas that are neither well planned nor well executed. It's a strange misstep for the beloved series, one that Konami hopefully learns from.

So in angsty terms "this sucks this sucks this sucks I hate it so much I won't properly write a review!!!!1111"
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2008, 02:30:02 AM »
http://wii.ign.com/articles/931/931583p2.html

IGN gave it a 7.5

Gameplay
There's a lot to experience, with a large roster, different styles, counters, guard crushes, supers, charged specials, and sub-weapons with Item Crushes added in. Camera is a pain.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2008, 03:59:45 AM »
1UP's reviews are always really short and for the most part, really useless.

You know, I've been writing reviews for the unknown website world of A-N for almost a year now. One of the better moments was watching people get honestly offended at my The Incredible Maze review when GoNintendo linked to it.

I can see why so many reviewers are such dicks.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2008, 04:39:11 AM »
1up: Trolling the internets to drive up page views.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2008, 05:58:59 AM »
To add another one:
G4 gives CvJ 1/5, calls it very shallow and imbalanced.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2008, 02:30:33 PM »
To add another one:

Wow a one out of five.... I think they are in the minority on that.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »
To add another one:

Wow a one out of five.... I think they are in the minority on that.

Nope, 1up gave it a D-

I know looks aren't everything, but from the videos I've seen, the game lacks serious personality as well.  I wouldn't even take it out for a one night stand, no matter how good the controls are.  At the end of the day, its nothing more than a castle filled to the brim with rabbit pellets and its now being called for what it is.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »
I pretty much knew that review outlets would trash the game to high heaven. Those scores are not surprising.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2008, 07:16:05 PM »
http://gonintendo.com/?p=62925

THANKS, with that summary I've learned NOTHING NOTHING about HOW IT PLAYS.

Unless you love 'pointless meandering' as much as I do.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »
To add another one:

Anyone that takes G4 and X-Play seriously should give up gaming altogether.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »
To add another one:

Anyone who takes review scores that seriously should give up gaming all together.

Anyone that takes G4 and X-Play seriously should give up gaming altogether.

doh!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:53:37 AM by D_Average »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2008, 04:22:48 AM »
Anyone who can't figure out where to put his text when quoting should give up posting.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
http://gonintendo.com/?p=64685

You aren't required to learn how to play video games to be a reviewer these days.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »
http://gonintendo.com/?p=64685

You aren't required to learn how to play video games to be a reviewer these days.

WOW...

Has the gaming media stooped so low that a one paragraph review that lacks details and information can be considered passable?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2008, 04:21:36 PM »
Why did you link to a blog that links to the article rather than post the direct link?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2008, 04:24:04 PM »
That, is the comedy of the internets.