Author Topic: What's Next For The N64 Expansion Pack?  (Read 16078 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: What's Next For The N64 Expansion Pack?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 12:22:40 PM »
I'm already in my own family plan so can't help you there Khushrenada, but I'd be interested in playing these games with your group, if our schedules can match up.

Heh, that's fine. I wasn't looking for someone on the forums to join me. There was someone else I knew in life that would be interested and they joined up. So, that was taken care of some time ago.

I was going to bump this thread to talk about the sudden lack of titles being released for the app despite knowing 6 titles that were supposed to be added to it. And then Goldeneye is suddenly announced as being added this week. The one game a month schedule has suddenly become wonky the last few months. This seems to have happened as soon as I subscribed to it. Not sure what I did but I guess it must be my fault.

Super Mario 64 - I want to go back to my last post when I complained about the design for getting up to the balcony in the Boo House. I should have just played the worlds in order instead of jumping around as much as I did. Later, when playing Cool, Cool Mountain, I get some practice on wall jumps which I clearly needed for that section. I rescind my complaint about the level design. I just needed to brush off my SM64 skillz. All in all, I still like the game a lot and I enjoyed revisiting it after such a long absence. That's another game crossed off the N64 list.

Mario Party - Man, did they make it a long time to unlock everything. Glad they did away with having to buy the minigames so that you could then play them in the mini-game mode. Just been playing through it in single-player. I find I don't mind the single player like I once did. Just been starting a board and playing it for like 7 or 8 turns and then pausing and going off to other games but slowly chipping away at the game. Recently wrapped up a 20 turn round on Mario's Rainbow Castle. Got the happening star by being the only player to land on that type of space once during the whole match. What a brilliant play on my part. Still quite happy these games have come to the app. Can't wait for Mario Party 3 and two of the best characters, Waluigi and Daisy, to finally be playable options.

Yoshi's Story - It occurred to me when playing this that Yoshi's story was pretty much the only Nintendo property done in 2D during the N64 era. I suppose you could consider Super Smash Bros as 2D and Kirby 64 was 2.5D in that it played with the perspective more but Yoshi's Story was about the closest Nintendo came to the games that had been their main bread and butter through the SNES era. It's been a long time since revisiting this game and it is still a mixed bag of good and bad but I'm liking and appreciating it a bit more than my past memories of the game. Just been playing a couple levels at a time and chipping away at it that way also.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2023, 03:31:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with the schedule. Releasing both Mario Party 1 and 2 in November made up for the lack of a game in September to bring the average back to one a month, but then there wasn't one in December for some odd reason so I'm not sure what's going on. I wouldn't be surprised if they put out Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 at the same time as well, maybe even this month for the Pokémon Day event. That would even it out again to one a month.

Tip for Mario Party: On the final turn, set all CPU players to humans and then you get to keep any coins and stars they collected at the end of the game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2023, 05:10:35 PM »
Well I had some extra eShop credit and saw you could upgrade your plan in-store now instead of calling so I went ahead and upgraded to the expansion pass family plan. I kinda wish I didn't play Goldeneye on it because it feels awful going back. The controls are nigh unplayable for me. I hear you can fix them through a few methods so I'll play around with them.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2023, 02:57:36 PM »
Aw phooey, there wasn't one in February either! I guess since they added the GBA section, they figured that was enough for the month. Seeing as they're adding a GBA game in early March, hopefully there will be an N64 release later this month.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2023, 05:44:24 PM »
Aw phooey, there wasn't one in February either! I guess since they added the GBA section, they figured that was enough for the month. Seeing as they're adding a GBA game in early March, hopefully there will be an N64 release later this month.

I'm wondering if Nintendo realized they were soon going to run out of N64 releases on their end so they added the GB/GBA stuff to give them some games they can keep announcing to the online services rather than have it seem like the well had run dry on the service.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2023, 11:27:25 PM »
They're not even running that low, there are games they've announced are coming to the service that aren't there yet, plus more in terms of first party releases that haven't come out yet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2023, 03:42:29 PM »
Nope, nothing for March either! This is why Switch sales are tanking.

At least there will be one this month...