Author Topic: E3 2012 Predictions  (Read 113659 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
E3 2012 Predictions
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »
We only have about six months until E3 of this year starts, so I thought we would discuss our predictions here on this thread. Here are some of mine:

Wii:

Last Story and Pandora's Tower will be made available for North America the same way as Xenoblade.

Reggie will state some life time sales of the Wii and then abandon the Wii entirely during the presenation. 

3DS:

New Super Mario Brothers 3D will be announced with a holiday 2012 release.

A new 2D Metroid game is revealed and it will be developed by Wayforward.

Miyamoto's new game will be revealed, or talked about with more information throughout the year.

No 3DS revision will be mentioned.

Wii U:

GTA 5 will be announced for the Wii U. In fact, a member of Rockstar will walk out onto the stage with Reggie and Iwatat, roll up his sleeve and have the GTA and Nintendo logo next to each other.

Capcom announces Resident Evil 6 is for the Wii U and reveals a Monster Hunter game via video trailer.

All of the third party games released during 2012, but before the Wii U launch, will be available as launch titles for the Wii U.

Steam is announced for the Wii U and make available all of the third party games released since 2006 on their service for the Wii U. EA will also announce the Origin will on the Wii U too.

Gamecube will makes its debut on the Virtual Console and SEGA will announce the Dreamcast for the VC as well.

Wii U first party launch titles:

Mario Paint (bundled with console)
Star Fox (Retro Studios)
F-Zero (Monster Games)
Wii U Sports (Next Level Games)
Pikmin 3

Nintendo will announce further partnership will second level and independant developers throughout the fututre of the Wii U's lifespan.

Lastly, the Wii U will be changed to "Super Wii."
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: E3 2012 Predictions
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »
Not a chance that Nintendo will have that many launch games. No Nintendo console other than the NES has had more than 2 first party launch games (in fact, they have always had 2 first party games).

The latest RFN talked about why you should not expect every Steam game to be available even if it's on the Wii U. Every single game on Steam would need to be re-programmed to work on Wii U.

And I think it's a long shot that the name will change. I personally like the name Wii U, but I also see no reason to change it. "Super Wii" sounds like just an expansion for the Wii, and I can't see any other name that would be better and keep the Wii branding.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 12:41:06 AM »
Not a chance that Nintendo will have that many launch games. No Nintendo console other than the NES has had more than 2 first party launch games (in fact, they have always had 2 first party games).

The latest RFN talked about why you should not expect every Steam game to be available even if it's on the Wii U. Every single game on Steam would need to be re-programmed to work on Wii U.

And I think it's a long shot that the name will change. I personally like the name Wii U, but I also see no reason to change it. "Super Wii" sounds like just an expansion for the Wii, and I can't see any other name that would be better and keep the Wii branding.

I remember Jonny Metts saying something like if the Wii U is as close to a PC as we think it is then they might be able to port over a lot of games without a whole lot of issues.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:44:41 AM »
Even if that assumption is correct (which no one knows), each game would still require some adjustment.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see as many games available as possible on Wii U. I just think it's not so simple.

I don't like making predictions, although I think it's safe to assume we could find out the release date for Wii U (not 100% sure).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:50:48 AM »
Even if that assumption is correct (which no one knows), each game would still require some adjustment.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see as many games available as possible on Wii U. I just think it's not so simple.

I don't like making predictions, although I think it's safe to assume we could find out the release date for Wii U (not 100% sure).

The reason I would want that to happen is so that I can avoid buying another console an djust focus on the Wii U and get every game that I missed by not owning a PS3 or 360.

Pikmin 3 and Mario Paint could be Wii U launch titles with F-Zero and Star Fox revealed via trailers and announced for 2013.

Edit:

About every game being on Steam, I meant the really good top tier titles released in the last five years. The shovelware can stay where it is at for all I care.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:55:35 AM by Kytim89 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:51:04 AM »
i think this e3 will be similar to the e3 where Nintendo first showed off Pikmin/Kameo

i can't wait to see what Nintendo does with decent hardware, i pretty much already have with the Zelda demo, but you hope to see something more real. I'd imagine Nintendo might spend less time making more games this generation. I'm of the school of thought that with more power comes less restraint for making games. Its also, pretty validated given how much UbiSoft puts out. Its always nice to build levels without worrying the system will crash
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 12:58:28 AM »
i think this e3 will be similar to the e3 where Nintendo first showed off Pikmin/Kameo

i can't wait to see what Nintendo does with decent hardware, i pretty much already have with the Zelda demo, but you hope to see something more real. I'd imagine Nintendo might spend less time making more games this generation. I'm of the school of thought that with more power comes less restraint for making games. Its also, pretty validated given how much UbiSoft puts out. Its always nice to build levels without worrying the system will crash

Less casual titles?

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 01:13:10 AM »
In no particular order, my predictions:

WiiU

- Release date for the WiiU (Sunday before black Friday probably)
- Redesigned case for the WiiU to differentiate it from the current Wii
- A third party online solution, no third party store.
- Pikmin 3 as a launch window title
- DQ10 as Launch window title
- RE 6 as launch window title, options for wiimote,touch screen and joystick aiming
- Nintendo gives Capcom a money hat for a Monster Hunter game, no release date given
- We see what Retro studios is up to
- Sony copy's the WiiU
- a new I.P
- WiiU tablet msrp for $80 USD
- WiiU msrp for $250 USD
- WiiU able to use usb 2.0/3.0 external harddrives.
- WiiU will have a digital audio jack

3DS
- A 2-d Metroid, they wont want to spend much money on a Metroid game after Other M
- A Final Fantasy V and/or VI remake on the 3DS

DS
-Price cut on DSi/XL now that 3ds is selling fine

Misc.
- Even if Nintendo does everything right the mainstream gaming media will still find a reason to hate on Nintendo.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:41:58 PM by Lithium »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 01:38:35 AM »
Kytime, you should use bullet points in your post. It makes it look nicer and easier to read.

I like your prediction of Mario Paint. I think it would be a perfect game to show off the tablet controller and its potential. We never really got a proper sequel to the original SNES version, unless you count the 64DD version which only released in Japan. That said, even though this game makes perfect sense that doesn't necessarily mean it will happen. A lot of things which would have been great never happened. Sadly, I think Nintendo would probably call it "Wii Paint" and drop everything to do with Mario out of it. That's not what I want to happen, but its what I predict would happen.

I don't think Star Fox and F-Zero will be launch titles. If they were we would probably have heard something by now, even if it was just rumors. Pikmin 3 will probably be a launch or near launch title though, and I also foresee a Wii Sports type game packed in with the console to help sell it to casuals.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 02:09:02 AM »
With Mario Paint for the Wii U you could use the Umote as your easel and the Wiimote itself as your brush. It would incorporate motion plus for precise drawing and swipes of the Wiimote. Also, Nintendo needs a casula title to bundle with the Wii U and I think that Wii Sports title will not cut it this time. If Nintendo came out with a new Mario Paint title then every fan would buy it.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 03:02:25 AM »
I remember way back when the Wii first came out there was supposed to be a Bob Ross painting game in development for it, but I guess nothing ever came of that.
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 03:54:13 AM »
I remember way back when the Wii first came out there was supposed to be a Bob Ross painting game in development for it, but I guess nothing ever came of that.

What are your predictions, Chozo?

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 06:50:49 AM »
My hopeful/crazy predictions, these to be shown as part of the main presentation:

-Resi 6: will turn out Wii U has been the lead SKU all along, many unique features.
-GTA 5
-Ninja Gaiden 3
-MG Rising
-Starfox - made by Retro, 4 player online co-op/battles
-NSMB Mii - pack in game, less levels than previous titles, but weekly downloadable levels
- A couple of smaller downloadable titles in the works for Wii U eShop, maybe a Yoshi game or Pokemon Colosseum type game to work with Pokemon Grey 3D (possibly also announced)

Batman: AC will be a cut price $20-30 downloadable title off the download store (via Steam/Origin etc)

There will be a bunch of 3rd party games with tacked on or very limited tablet-controller use, this will be what most gaming outlets will focus on as being the reason why Wii U will fail.

Wii U price: $299.99 with NSMB Mii and a 8/16gb harddrive/memory card
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 10:04:41 AM »
I was tempted to just write "Stop it, Kytim" but if we're going to have an E3 prediction thread in January, it might as well be crazy. Safe predictions are boring.

1. Super Mario Universe is announced as a launch title. It's 2.5D, cel-shaded, 2-player co-op (optional) and very different from NSMB. Developed by Retro Studios.
2. Nintendo announces that 2 tablet controllers are indeed possible on the same console but reveals the Wii U's real standard controller: an upgraded and far improved Wii Remote Plus and nunchuck.
3. Super Smash Bros. 4 trailer is shown. The game is still early but further along than Nintendo and Sakurai originally let on. It's been in development for a few months with Sakurai splitting his time between it and finishing Kid Icarus Uprising. Expected release date November 2013.

None of those things are going to happen.

Expect the usual suspects. A trailer of upcoming games, few real surprises. Ports of major 3rd party games like Resident Evil 6 and Metal Gear Rising. Price and date for Wii U. No revison for 3DS in order to keep the new hardware spotlight on Wii U but its lineup should be stronger than Wii U even with all of the inevitable 360/PS3 ports. The only real surprise for 3DS is going to be a brand new Zelda and a 3D upgraded port of Majora's Mask to tide the masses over.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »
None of those things are going to happen.
Haha!

honest predictions:
1. Multi-player Zelda game that uses 3ds/WiiU connectivity.
2. Metal gear or something close to it from Konami.
3. Sega reel with at least one new 3d Sonic game
4. Nintendo WiiU reel with smartphone like games but with Mario/Dk mascots.
5. No NSMBMii.

wild predictions:
1. WiiU controller is also a scale.
2. WiiU to launch with online service that can do video/voice chat out of the box.
3. 3D Mario game that borrows a lot from Okami.
4. Starfox reboot that uses human characters instead of furries.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 02:34:22 PM »
My predictions:

Wii U:
SSB4 Trailer showing series regulars (Mario, Kirby, Pikachu, Link) and two new faces, no release date
Resident Evil 6 and other upcoming 3rd Party titles confirmed for Wii U
Wii U release 2nd Sunday in November at 249.99
Wii U launches in black and white models
Pikmin 3 trailer, no promises

3DS:
No revision shown
2D Metroid
NEW Zelda title (3D, cell shaded)
Star Fox trailer, no promises (except online)
New Miyamoto game
Final Fantasy Tactics 3D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:36:09 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
Alright I'll Play.

DS is End of Lifed.  No new Units will be produced in 2013.
Wii is End of Lifed.  No new Units will be Produced in 2013.

New 3DS Skus announced.  A couple special to major Releases.
GBA Classic games announce for eShop. 
First Cart/Download game revealed.

WiiU gets a Nickname or a Rename.  Found in American markets that there is to much brand confusion.
WiiU 3 Letter Moniker is revealed.
WiiU Fit announced.
With the Success of Swapnote.  Swapnote Deluxe will be coming to WiiU.  The big news there is that Nikki is getting a love interest.
Rayman Port announced for WiiU.  You know the one.
Ridge Racer at launch.
NintenDogs: World Breeding is announced for WiiU Launch.
Feel the Magic gets a triumph return as a seemless collection of the First to games enhanced for the WiiU.
Ouendan and Elite Beat Agent: World Tour announced for WiiU.  The World rejoices in knowing they are now safe from Alien Invaders, Meteors, and the weather ruining the camping trip of an overworked single mom and her son.
WiiU is wired for Interference reasons.
New Weather and News app revealed for WiiU.  This comes with a promise to add additional channels throughout the lifetime.  Which we come to find out they won't keep.
Fire Emblem

Crimm will Sleep First.

Microsoft to show next gen of Kinect System off.  There will be 2 versions.  Core which will essentially be a setup box that can only download content and Extremez which will be an actual game system not just a Live Zune Device.
Christmas 2013 on Extremez but, the Set top Live device will come out middle of 2013.

Sony will try to Spin the Vita numbers which still won't be very good.  We will all sigh and wonder how Sony found a way to miss there demographic so much.
PS4 will be asked about and Sony will say that they are always working to improve there products and will release new hardware when it makes sense.
Possibly Kinect like EyeToy.
New PS3 Content providers.

Skylanders 2 is Announced.  There is much Rejoicing (and crying from UncleBob's wife.)

Call of Duty...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
I see a lot of people predicting the Wii U will be $250. As nice as that would be, I don't think it is possible. The Wii launched 6 years ago at that price, and due to inflation $250 was worth a bit more than it is now. So can the Wii U sell at that same price and not be a loss for Nintendo? I doubt it. Especially when it will come bundled with an expensive tablet controller and have beefed up HD specs. The Wii could pull it off, sure, no problem... but the Wii was based on technology that was outdated even by 2006 standards

On the other hand, I don't see the Wii U being priced $600 like the PS3 was either. Nintendo knows better than to do that. So my prediction is it will be somewhere between $299 and $399. Any lower than that and it will be selling for a loss; any higher than that and people won't buy it. So this is the price range where it has to be.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 03:14:13 PM »
I see it being $299.99, maybe $349.99 tops but def higher than $249.99

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 03:59:03 PM »
I see a lot of people predicting the Wii U will be $250. As nice as that would be, I don't think it is possible. The Wii launched 6 years ago at that price, and due to inflation $250 was worth a bit more than it is now. So can the Wii U sell at that same price and not be a loss for Nintendo? I doubt it. Especially when it will come bundled with an expensive tablet controller and have beefed up HD specs. The Wii could pull it off, sure, no problem... but the Wii was based on technology that was outdated even by 2006 standards

On the other hand, I don't see the Wii U being priced $600 like the PS3 was either. Nintendo knows better than to do that. So my prediction is it will be somewhere between $299 and $399. Any lower than that and it will be selling for a loss; any higher than that and people won't buy it. So this is the price range where it has to be.
I see it being $299.99, maybe $349.99 tops but def higher than $249.99
If only there was a thread for this type of Conversation... Wii U Launch Date and Price Guess Thread
Though I will go ahead and say that I said the exact same stuff about inflation with the Wii being priced what it was before we knew about the price.  Inflation wise it makes no sense.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »
I remember that thread. If I remember correctly, my guess of the price was $329.99. I just picked that because its about half way between $299.99 and $349.99.
is your sanity...

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 05:26:49 PM »
Well this looks like fun, so why not join in.  Granted some of mine might just be wishful hoping.

Wii U

- Launch date and price announced.
- Price is 300$ USD
- Pikmin 3 is launch title.
- Retro is working on an new title in an established Nintendo IP, which is either Star Fox, Zelda or Donkey Kong Country.
- Some Sort of Online Strategy that brings both the Wii U and 3DS under a single account.

3DS

- Retro announces a smaller 3DS team within their company and shows a new Metroid game in the style of the prime series.
- Super Mario 3D Land 2.
- Release month windows announced for Second half of the years 3DS Lineup. Animal Crossing is holiday title.
- Konami announces 2D Castlevania for the 3DS and Vita.

Wii
- Is spoken about in some manor, Nintendo of America shows no plans to bring Last Story or Pandora's Tower.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:29:38 PM by Kwolf »

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »
- Pikmin 3 Launch.
- $299 Price, even though I hope for $250. But if 3DS started there, no way is Wii U starting there.
-Smash Bros teaser trailer, no gameplay.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
- Smash Brothers WiiU hype video ends with the following:
NEWCOMER
Mii
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
- Smash Brothers WiiU hype video ends with the following:
NEWCOMER
Mii

Not looking forward to that... Bring on the Miii sure, but don't introduce it like it's something that fans have been craving for.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn