Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. 2  (Read 38785 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
New Super Mario Bros. 2
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:12:33 PM »
I just watched the 3DS conference, and I like the new ideas of New Super Mario Bros. 2.

As we all know, the game is all about getting tons of coins. The coins you collect all add up to a "million coin" counter. There's a new golden Fire Flower that lets you shoot fireballs that turn bricks and enemies into coins.

There is a "Coin Rush" mode that has you play through 3 levels at a time. You have to finish a level quickly, because any leftover time is added to your coin total.

You can share high scores via StreetPass, and the Mii's high score is displayed on the top of the screen.

There is also a co-op mode for the single player campaign.

Here's the official info from Nintendo:

Quote from: Nintendo
New Super Mario Bros. 2: This new side-scrolling installment in the fan-favorite Super Mario Bros. franchise launches Aug. 19 as the Mushroom Kingdom bursts with more coins and gold than ever before. Players can transform into Gold Mario and Raccoon Mario, and challenge friends to beat their high scores in the new Coin Rush mode. Also, for the first time in a hand-held Mario title, players can enjoy a cooperative two-player mode for the entire game via a local wireless connection.

God damn it Nintendo! No online play is a huge missed opportunity!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:50:22 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline delebreaub

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
    • StreetPass WI
Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:19:40 PM »
Question!
Does this game come out on 8/19 or 8/17? At Nintendo events they keep saying the 19th but on the eShop page for the game it says that it releases on August 17th. Does anybody know the truth???

Aside, this game looks pretty cool. When NSMB 1 came out on DS, it was innovative because it brought back the 2D platforming but now we have 4 games. Happy for co-op and StreetPass.

What will make this a retail or digital purchase for you? I think I will go digital just to have the game with me all the time (but Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario are probably going to be retail buys for me.)

EDIT: The eShop page for the game was updated to reflect the release date of August 19th in the US.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:07:40 PM by delebreaub »

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
New Super Mario Bros. 2
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »
Question!
Does this game come out on 8/19 or 8/17? At Nintendo events they keep saying the 19th but on the eShop page for the game it says that it releases on August 17th. Does anybody know the truth???

Aside, this game looks pretty cool. When NSMB 1 came out on DS, it was innovative because it brought back the 2D platforming but now we have 4 games. Happy for co-op and StreetPass.

What will make this a retail or digital purchase for you? I think I will go digital just to have the game with me all the time (but Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario are probably going to be retail buys for me.)

Maybe the eShop version comes out a couple days earlier than the retail one?

If the game is small enough, I might buy it digital. I know many 3DS games are 2 - 4 GBs in size, and I have a 16 GB SD card... So yeah.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »
The 19th is a Sunday, which makes it a more likely candidate.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »
The 19th is a Sunday, which makes it a more likely candidate.

Well the eShop updates every Thursday, so the digital version will come out a few days before the retail game.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 04:14:45 PM »
Yeah! A Mario game that finally focuses on the best part of platformers, collecting things!
Gouge away.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 05:53:35 PM »
Yeah! A Mario game that finally focuses on the best part of platformers, collecting things!

At least the coins serve a purpose now. In older Mario games, they were just there for the hell of it. I'm glad that Nintendo is trying different things with the two NSMB games. The 3DS version is focused on coin collecting, while the Wii U version is a more fleshed-out sequel to NSMB Wii.

I'm just extremely pissed about NO ONLINE PLAY!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »
At least the coins serve a purpose now. In older Mario games, they were just there for the hell of it.

They always did, collecting 100 would give you an extra life. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island added 20 red coins that were needed to get a perfect score in each level (and unlock extras).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »
At least the coins serve a purpose now. In older Mario games, they were just there for the hell of it.

They always did, collecting 100 would give you an extra life. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island added 20 red coins that were needed to get a perfect score in each level (and unlock extras).

I'm talking about coins in general, regardless of whether they're red or yellow.

In NSMB 2, all the coins you collect add up to a million coin counter. I'm guessing there will also be situations (missions) where you will need to collect ALL the coins in a level.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »
@tendoboy1984

Why would I want to collect 1,000,000 coins? I watched the Nintendo video earlier where Iwata spoke with the developer of the game and he talked about the idea of collecting coins. I'm still not exactly clear on what that's supposed to bring to the table. I mean does anyone actually care about collecting coins in Mario? I tend to play Mario at full throttle with the run button always being held down, so the idea of methodically collecting coins and bopping bricks just doesn't sound fun.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:38:58 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »
@tendoboy1984

Why would I want to collect 1,000,000 coins? I watched the Nintendo video earlier where Iwata spoke with the developer of the game and he talked about the idea of collecting coins. I'm still not exactly clear on what that's supposed to bring to the table. I mean does anyone actually care about collecting coins in Mario? I tend to play Mario at full throttle with the run button always being held down, so the idea of methodically collecting coins and bopping bricks just doesn't sound fun.

If you want to play a platformer where you have to speed through a level, then Sonic is right for you.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 07:24:54 AM »

Maybe Mario is collecting coins to help pay off the Mushroom Kingdom's national debt; perhaps Peach refuses to implement any austerity measures within the Mushroomian government.  When Peach isn't getting kidnapped, she always appears to be throwing parties, playing sports or baking cakes; she doesn't strike me as a great leader.

I could imagine that at the very least, collecting high numbers of coins would be the keys to unlocking special levels. 

To be honest, I feel very meh about this one for some reason, though that could change as more of the game is revealed.  The theme does make me convinced that Nintendo has completely abandoned it's whole Wario Land branch of games; honestly, I would have probably accepted this premise more if Wario and Waluigi were the main characters.  It probably wouldn't sell nearly as well.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »

I'm talking about coins in general, regardless of whether they're red or yellow.

And he said that there was a purpose for collecting coins, whether they were red or yellow.

And what's the big deal about collecting coins? We've been doing it since forever. Who didn't collect 100 coins in every level of SM64? Or do all of the 8 red coin challenges? And a million seems like a lot until you watch some of the videos and EVERYTHING getting turned in to coins to the point where you'd get 100s per level with ease.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »

Maybe Mario is collecting coins to help pay off the Mushroom Kingdom's national debt; perhaps Peach refuses to implement any austerity measures within the Mushroomian government.

Maybe Nintendo are just so desperate to make up the losses they've seen over the course of the last year that it's beginning to show in their game design?
Gouge away.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 10:52:19 PM »
The Koopalings are back!

I found this screenshot on Mario Wiki.

I also found this link ( http://mediasrc.nintendo.com/pressroom/E32012/ ) on NeoGAF that takes you directly to Nintendo's E3 press site, where you can download images and screenshots of the games that were shown at E3. You don't have to login to access it!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:57:13 PM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 11:08:30 PM »
I've been wondering about whether the Koopalings would show up in both the Wii U and 3DS games.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 01:02:39 AM »
Coin Rush = Awesome. This game rocketed up my list when they talked about that mode. I love high score challenges and I love Mario, and putting the two together is great. Hopefully you can compete with friends online in addition to StreetPass.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 01:14:59 AM »
Coin Rush = Awesome. This game rocketed up my list when they talked about that mode. I love high score challenges and I love Mario, and putting the two together is great. Hopefully you can compete with friends online in addition to StreetPass.

Online co-op is out. Nintendo's E3 page only mentions local wireless co-op. A huge missed opportunity.

Damn you Nintendo.  :D

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »
Online co-op is hard to pull off great and routinely sometimes on LittleBigPlanet on PS3, so some of you expected it to somehow work on the 3DS, a much lesser system?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »
Online co-op in a platformer requires a near-perfect connection. Racing, sports and shooters can fudge it a bit, but something like this requires absolute precision, which is hard to come by no matter what system you're on.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 07:49:06 PM »
And honestly, finding someone to play it with for me is about as likely as playing in person.

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »
yeah, unless the online is flawless, i really don't want online co-op... that goes for all platformers too, not just Mario.

General thoughts on this game: I'm excited. I know coins/"gold" are the hook, but after reading lots of E3 impressions saying how hard it is, how the good level design is, SMB3 refernces, and a slightly new take on backgrounds (etc.); that's really all I need to hear to be excited for a Mario game, or at least a NSMB game. The coin thing is definitely interesting, and everyone was surprised at how addicting it is, so that'll be a bonus for me (along with any other goodies, i.e. StreetPass, Coin Rush, etc.).

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 12:11:19 AM »
yeah, unless the online is flawless, i really don't want online co-op... that goes for all platformers too, not just Mario.

General thoughts on this game: I'm excited. I know coins/"gold" are the hook, but after reading lots of E3 impressions saying how hard it is, how the good level design is, SMB3 refernces, and a slightly new take on backgrounds (etc.); that's really all I need to hear to be excited for a Mario game, or at least a NSMB game. The coin thing is definitely interesting, and everyone was surprised at how addicting it is, so that'll be a bonus for me (along with any other goodies, i.e. StreetPass, Coin Rush, etc.).

My older brother is salivating at this game. I hope NSMB2 isn't just going through the motions!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline LOZman

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »
My older brother is salivating at this game. I hope NSMB2 isn't just going through the motions!

Honestly I don't think that it will be. I think we all should trust Nintendo to make a fun and interesting Mario Platformer. We'll see when the game comes out, but I know that I will be spending a lot of time with this game.

I'm also still not warmed up to the digital download of retail games thing. I know it's a great option, but I am still going to want to go to the store and buy the physical copy. For some reason having a physical copy of any game is a lot better than a digital download.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »

Honestly I don't think that it will be. I think we all should trust Nintendo to make a fun and interesting Mario Platformer. We'll see when the game comes out, but I know that I will be spending a lot of time with this game.

I'm also still not warmed up to the digital download of retail games thing. I know it's a great option, but I am still going to want to go to the store and buy the physical copy. For some reason having a physical copy of any game is a lot better than a digital download.

So you don't download any games from the eShop, iTunes, Xbox Live, PSN, etc.?