Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio: Forum Cast (RFN Doppelganger Podcast)  (Read 26166 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Nintendo Free Radio: Forum Cast (RFN Doppelganger Podcast)
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:05:21 AM »
 Nintendo Free Radio Forumcast Episode 1: Even More Games Than An E3 Press Conference
By Stephen Shook, Ryan Clay, Austen Parken, Donald Theriault
RFN is not available this week. We apologize for the inconvenience.
MP3 Download
AAC (Enhanced) Download
Feeds: Try refreshing.

With the regular RFN crew scattered to the winds, four members of the Nintendo World Report forums - Stephen "Ceric" Shook, Austen "broodwars" Parkin, Donald "Shaymin" Theriault and Ryan "racht" Clay decided to step up and attempt to fill the large shoes left. Although it's hard to match the regular crew's chemistry, the replacements brought 24 games, or one more than Nintendo themselves had at E3!

An absolutely massive New Business segment sees Stephen lead off with Mass Effect 3 post-Extended Cut impressions (may contain spoilers, ends at 27:16), and follows up with the first World of Warcraft discussion to not meet the editor's axe in a long time focusing on the new "PokeWoW" pet battles. After a TheatRhythm Thief doubleheader and Skylanders, Donald jumps in with impressions of Pokemon Black and White 2 straight from Japan, warns people about Final Fantasy II (PSP) and outlines his training techniques...  for JEOPARDY. Yes, the game show. (You can download his tracking spreadsheet from Google Docs.)

Ryan picks up the RPG torch with Xenoblade Chronicles and scares everyone but Austen with his play clock before moving to Limbo on Steam and the joys of playing Kid Icarus Uprising when you're left-handed. Despite not being a wizard, Ryan also brings discussion of downloadable 3DS pinball both classic in Kirby's Pinball Land, and new in Marvel Pinball. Austen wraps with a run of DS adventures, rattling off Ace Attorney Investigations, 999 and Ghost Trick before talking more about Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals than anyone in the history of the internet and a couple of independent PSN games in Dyad and Quantum Conumdrum.

After the break, we asked ourselves to come up with one game we're each excited for in the 2nd half of 2012, and the selections may will surprise you. To finish, the group tackles the question of hatred toward accessibility in games  and why the majority of players being able to see the content of a game is suddenly a scary thing.

The regular crew will be back next week, but we'd love to hear your thoughts on this episode as we get closer to the big episode 300 - don't be afraid to drop a comment in the Talkback thread or anywhere else fine podcasts are discussed. Be sure to send in your Listener Mail as well and keep playing and discussing Wario Land 4 in the Retroactive thread.

This podcast was edited by Ryan Clay. Music for this episode was provided by Jason Ricci & New Blood, and additional music is copyright Nintendo.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:25:07 PM by Jonnyboy117 »

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
Re: Nintendo Free Radio: Forum Cast (RFN Doppelganger Podcast)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:04 AM »
Hip hip, hooray! RFN all day, er'day! :D
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:15:08 AM »
Wow, this sounds like a cool idea.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »
Isn't basically every non-NWR gaming podcast already Nintendo-Free Radio?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
Isn't basically every non-NWR gaming podcast already Nintendo-Free Radio?
Sure. But all of those other guys don't share the love that we have as NWR - RFN/Connectivity fans.

Just wait and see. Hopefully we won't disappoint!

Plus, we named it this literally as a spin on the RFN name - we like to think this podcast is an extension (from the fans/forum-goers) of Radio Free Nintendo. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:31:02 AM by Racht »
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
This is looking like it's going to be a lot of fun to do, and maybe if it turns out well it can be something we do more regularly.  I think people may be surprised at the amount of talk about games on Nintendo platforms it looks like we're going to do, especially from me.  At the very least, I hope we turn out a better show this week than Giant Bomb just did on theirs.  Frickin' 70 minutes into the podcast before they actually started to talk about video games... ::)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:39:54 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
If you guys get this put together I'll promote it for you on the NWR Facebook/Twitter and on the front page, so hopefully you'll get a big audience.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 03:19:09 AM »
We need a brit to fill in for Greg. And a Canadian. And James Earl? Jones.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
Submit non video game topics?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
Submit non video game topics?

You can, but if it's about Colorado I'm already considering something before the main show about that.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »

Shaymin's Canadian, I believe.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »
Huh, sounds like something I would have been interested in doing. Oh well, maybe in the future. I will probably listen to it (especially if NWR uploads it to the RFN iTunes slot).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
I suppose I could pull off a British accent...
Muh Backloggery!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »

Please don't...there are very few things worse in this world than a bad fake British accent... :D

Also, I'm making a last call here for any potential topics anyone would be interested in hearing 4 random people you don't know talk about!  The group plans on recording this evening to align themselves with RFN's normal release schedule.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:13:20 AM by lolmonade »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
4 random people you don't know talk about!
I'm Hurt.  Has all these Years meant nothing to You?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »
4 random people you don't know talk about!
I'm Hurt.  Has all these Years meant nothing to You?

Wow...you're right.  I've been a forum poster for almost 2 years now...it hasnt seemed nearly that long.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »

Confirmed. In fact, I just ordered a poutine.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »

Confirmed. In fact, I just ordered a poutine.
I will be picking up the making of a Poutine on the way home just for this.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »

Please don't...there are very few things worse in this world than a bad fake British accent... :D
Hah. No worries. I wouldn't want to disgrace all of those fine British folks. I enjoy their television programming too much. ;)
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 10:03:27 PM »
Nintendo Free Radio Forumcast Episode 1: Even More Games Than An E3 Press Conference
By Stephen Shook, Ryan Clay, Austen Parken, Donald Theriault
RFN is not available this week. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Download mp3
Download AAC
Feeds: lol?

With the regular RFN crew scattered to the winds, four members of the Nintendo World Report forums - Stephen "Ceric" Shook, Austen "broodwars" Parkin, Donald "Shaymin" Theriault and Ryan "racht" Clay decided to step up and attempt to fill the large shoes left. Although it's hard to match the regular crew's chemistry, the replacements brought 24 games, or one more than Nintendo themselves had at E3!

An absolutely massive New Business segment sees Stephen lead off with Mass Effect 3 post-Extended Cut impressions (may contain spoilers, ends at 27:16), and follows up with the first World of Warcraft discussion to not meet the editor's axe in a long time focusing on the new "PokeWoW" pet battles. After a TheatRhythm Thief doubleheader and Skylanders, Donald jumps in with impressions of Pokemon Black and White 2 straight from Japan, warns people about Final Fantasy II (PSP) and outlines his training techniques...  for JEOPARDY. Yes, the game show. (You can download his tracking spreadsheet from Google Docs.)

Ryan picks up the RPG torch with Xenoblade Chronicles and scares everyone but Austen with his play clock before moving to Limbo on Steam and the joys of playing Kid Icarus Uprising when you're left-handed. Despite not being a wizard, Ryan also brings discussion of downloadable 3DS pinball both classic in Kirby's Pinball Land, and new in Marvel Pinball. Austen wraps with a run of DS adventures, rattling off Ace Attorney Investigations, 999 and Ghost Trick before talking more about Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals than anyone in the history of the internet and a couple of independent PSN games in Dyad and Quantum Conumdrum.

After the break, we asked ourselves to come up with one game we're each excited for in the 2nd half of 2012, and the selections may will surprise you. To finish, the group tackles the question of hatred toward accessibility in games  and why the majority of players being able to see the content of a game is suddenly a scary thing.

The regular crew will be back next week, but we'd love to hear your thoughts on this episode as we get closer to the big episode 300 - don't be afraid to drop a comment in the Talkback thread or anywhere else fine podcasts are discussed. Be sure to send in your Listener Mail as well and keep playing and discussing Wario Land 4 in the Retroactive thread.

This podcast was edited by Ryan Clay. Music for this episode was provided by Jason Ricci & New Blood, and additional music is copyright Nintendo.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:20:11 AM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »
**Added to the OP**

Very cool, guys.  Look forward to listening to this at work tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 10:24:09 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
Oh, wow. This is 3 hours long. That's just a little bit too much for me hahaha.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »

Yeah, we know the show's rather lengthy.  The sad thing is, that was after we gutted most of the 2nd segment due to how long New Business was going on.   :P: :   If we ever do another show, we're going to try to get the length down.  But hey, at least that's 3 hours of actual game conversation, rather than something like Giant Bombcast's 2.5 hours of random B.S. + 15 minutes of game conversation last week (no, I'm not going to let that go).   ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:07:11 AM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 02:13:21 PM »
 (no, I'm not going to let that go).   ;)
My Response

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »

For what it's worth, the podcast is split nicely into several chapters by what game they're discussing, so if they talk about a game you're uninterested in, you could skip that chapter.