Author Topic: Oklahoma is so hot that street lamps are melting  (Read 16450 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Oklahoma is so hot that street lamps are melting
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:28 PM »
Not sure where my reply went, but I will type it again. Deutschland is the countries official name in German, but its official English name is Germany (full name being Federal Republic of Germany). It's like how Japan's name in Japanese is Nippon.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2012, 11:07:54 PM »
Iran used to be called Persia
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »
People in Japan call their home Nippon? I need a verification. Time to visit the Japan NWR thread...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:25 AM »
Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam
Why they changed it, I can't say
People just liked it better that way
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 09:29:56 AM »
Not sure where my reply went, but I will type it again. Deutschland is the countries official name in German, but its official English name is Germany (full name being Federal Republic of Germany). It's like how Japan's name in Japanese is Nippon.
There is an interesting Wikipedia about all the name variations through the world for Deutschland.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »
Hey AnGer! I've got a question. Does it bother you that everybody calls your country Germany, when you guys call it Deutschland? I've always wondered...

Nope. I think the only ones who are bothered are those who don't know. Besides, the word "Germany" is quite spread throughout the country.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »
Wasn't Germany what the Romans called it? They also called France "Gaul" but apparently that name didn't stick.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2012, 10:30:37 AM »
Pretty much, the Romans (starting with Julius Caesar) called the region Germania and the people there Germanic; though the people there did not call it that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2012, 03:10:15 PM »
France and Spain were both collectively called "Gaul", Germany was Germania. The port of Gaul is Portugal. Spain was also referred to Hispaniola.

According to Irish myth and now genetic confirmation the founders of Ireland were Gaels from Spain. It says in the wikipedia article that is not known where the Gaelic langauge comes from, but yeah...looks obvious to me.
There are some stuff that dispute this, but i dont think language really follows root etymology as much as it follow etymology clouds.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:20:02 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »
What I think is interesting is they have found ancient Irish Celtic crosses in Transylvania. What were they doing over there? I think it was Irish vampire hunters...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »
The port of Gaul is Portugal.

That sounds like a nice theory, but its actually from Portus Cale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portus_Cale

And Hispaniola is an island in the Carribean, but it is named after Hispania which is the term the Romans used for the Iberian peninsula, and from which the word Spain originated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispania
is your sanity...

Offline AnGer

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »
Pretty much, the Romans (starting with Julius Caesar) called the region Germania and the people there Germanic; though the people there did not call it that.

Yes, which was mostly due to the reason that the Celts, Goths and Germanic were isolated from the empire's influence. However, the word "Germania" where Germany is derived from also found its way into the language during the christianization of the country, whose preachers were using Latin as their language (the Bible hasn't been translated into German until the 16th century) and the name "Germania" was also given to the personification of the country. Other names for Germany, like the french "Allemagne" or the finnish "Saksa" (and respective alterations of these) were derived from the names of german tribes.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »
Other names for Germany, like the french "Allemagne" or the finnish "Saksa" (and respective alterations of these) were derived from the names of german tribes.

I would guess the Saksa refers to the Saxons, and the Allemagne may be the Anglos?
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »
Chozo, you're right about the Hispania thing, simple mistake on my part

but im not entirely wrong on the port of gaul thing.

This is my problem with modern etymology. The current consensus is that words follow "roots" and one word is simply derived from another. However, if you take the idea of a malapropism and apply it to the field of etymology, then you can pretty much say that all similar words could be the root. The other thing about the similar words is they may actually have a pre-existing root. It would be hard to know because the evidence would die out.

So you have these similar sounding places and words all referring to a place in the area and also relating to a group or groups of people "gal, gaul, gallica, gallaecia, cale, kallis, celt, kallakoi, caladonia, caladunum, kallis, gaelic, gallacians, gaiia, calaesi, cala. goedel, gael, GĂ idheal, Guoidel, weidh-(e)l-o, wadelm gwazel, Welsh, wales, wallachia, Wald, Woods, Callisto(a nymph).  As I was saying it takes one person to use a malapropism and the rest is history. This is why I propose the idea of an etymology cloud rather then a straight root system. If words were to mate...

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:14:10 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline AnGer

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »
and the Allemagne may be the Anglos?

No, the Alemanni, which were mostly located in western and southwestern Germany, the dialects there are often referred to as the "alemanian dialects" (the German spoken in Switzerland is one of these dialects).

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality