Author Topic: Sega: MadWorld a "Mismatch" with Wii Audience  (Read 24386 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Sega: MadWorld a "Mismatch" with Wii Audience
« on: April 07, 2010, 06:09:54 AM »
Sega's head of Western operations considers the 360 and PS3 the natural home of Platinum Games' titles.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=22864

In an Interview with CVG, Sega's head of Western operations Mike Hayes commented on MadWorld and how it fared on Wii.  When asked about whether or not he felt that the "natural home" of Platinum Games titles was on the HD consoles, he agreed.    

In regards to MadWorld in particular, Hayes admitted that, "Critically it got a lot of acclaim, but commercially it wasn't the success we wanted it to be. Clearly that was a mismatch with the Wii audience - particularly in terms of the amount of cross-ownership between Wii and the other home platforms. If you're going to play a mature-rated game, you're going to get your 360, PC or PS3 out to do so. But you can't knock us for having a go."    

Hayes added that since "Platinum Games is such a cutting-edge developer they need the PS3 or 360 to realise what they actually want to do", noting that the company is "more at home" on those consoles.  He went on to say that House of the Dead, as an IP, was more "credible" with the Wii audience.    

MadWorld was released in March 2009 in North America, and February 2010 in Japan.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: SEGA: MadWorld a "Mismatch"? HA!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »
"If you're going to play a mature-rated game, you're going to get your 360, PC or PS3 out to do so. But you can't knock us for having a go."
Oh Mike, you are either really naive or just plain stupid.

MadWorld was not a game that should've been sold for fifty dollars. It was too short, it's replay value was crap and the game just screamed niche. It's too bad that even though we've been saying this over and over again since the game released, THIRD PARTIES JUST DON'T LISTEN.

If you treat the Nintendo fanbase like retards, they treat you the same way back. You also can't always count on the PS3/360 audience to back you up, because really, everyone listed here thought they would and look where they are now.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:49:58 PM by Peachylala »
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Zoltan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sega: MadWorld a \
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »
Oh Sega Sega Sega, seriously you're thoughts can sometimes be so idiotic that it hurts.  Every game made by Clover/Platinum games has been a niche title and as a result have always sold to a specific type of market that really enjoys those types of games.  If you were to compare the sales of Madworld to those of previouse Clover titles like Okami and GodHand on the PS2 (you know, the system with the biggest install base previous generation) you'll see that the title has done pretty well for itself given the circumstances.  Basically if you can't sell those types of games on a system as big as the PS2, what makes you think it would do better on the 360 or PS3?   Not only that but it kind of had the Dead Space Extraction problem of having too little content to garner the full price.

I mean No More Heroes sold just as about as much as Madworld (and if you can compare Clover's games to anyone it's Grasshopper)but you don't find Suda 51 complaining, he probably had his expectations set to a more reasonable level.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Sega: MadWorld a
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:42:52 PM »
What IS the audience for shallow, repetitive, stylized bloodbaths?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »
How has Bayonetta been selling?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 01:56:41 PM »
They're such a cutting-edge developer they were forced to make an overpriced, short, niche, shallow, repetitive,  black-and-white stylized kill-sim for the Wii and forgot to include 60Hz support for PAL versions?

Oh yea, best to blame it on the Wii audience.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
According to VGCha*SLAP* the wiki page for Bayonetta, the game sold over one million combined for both systems... according to NDP. But then again, it's a Wiki page, it can't be honest.

The first NDP report for Bayonetta in Feburary was 100,000 for 360 and 60,000 for the PS3... from the Platinum Games Forum.

SalesBot may know how much it sold. But 100,000 in one month isn't bad. (except when you count the fact NSMBWii raped it's sales that month.)

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
"Critically it got a lot of acclaim, but commercially it wasn't the success we wanted it to be. Clearly that was a mismatch with the Wii audience - particularly in terms of the amount of cross-ownership between Wii and the other home platforms. If you're going to play a mature-rated game, you're going to get your 360, PC or PS3 out to do so.
So for dual console owners, the game wasn't good enough to warrant purchase.  If they expect the game to have done better if it was available for 360/PC/PS3, is this an admission that Wii gamers are more picky?

Or maybe they're just too proud to admit that their game would never amount to more than a niche title.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 02:32:35 PM »
I already answered Sega's question, they are just too naive/stupid to care.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »
Interesting, because like a month ago, Sega said that it sold fine and that they had no problem putting M rated games on the Wii.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »
Sega announced Conduit 2 like an hour ago.  Clearly this was a match for the Wii audience, something that would make the buyers leave their 360, PC or PS3 in their closet.

Sega, if you're going to troll, hire better ones next time.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 03:08:13 PM »
Why is House of the Dead "credible" while this isn't?  Aren't they both 'M' rated games?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
They're such a cutting-edge developer they were forced to make an overpriced, short, niche, shallow, repetitive,  black-and-white stylized kill-sim for the Wii and forgot to include 60Hz support for PAL versions?

BINGO. This guaranteed a no-sale from me and after 35 mins on rental i sent it back.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 03:12:13 PM »
Clearly that was a mismatch with the PAL audience.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vherub

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »
I think if the wii had a trophy/achievement system like the 360/ps3, it could have gone a long way to increasing replay value as well as getting players to try more exotic attacks and combos in the game. It's easy to spam the same attacks over and over, but there is a decent amount of variation for a player willing to explore.
All the more so with a point system. I don't think it's just an age thing, it's also the lack of an online community and shared gameplay experience that hurts a game like madworld.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
I think if the wii had a trophy/achievement system like the 360/ps3, it could have gone a long way to increasing replay value as well as getting players to try more exotic attacks and combos in the game.
They already have, it's called Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
I mean No More Heroes sold just as about as much as Madworld (and if you can compare Clover's games to anyone it's Grasshopper)but you don't find Suda 51 complaining, he probably had his expectations set to a more reasonable level.
What IS the audience for shallow, repetitive, stylized bloodbaths?
MadWorld took itself too seriously. NMH was better in this regard since it was almost like a spoof of those types of games (AND YOU FOUGHT IN A GIANT MECH AGAINST A BUNCH OF TITTY PHYSIC CHERLEADERS.)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »
Hasn't House of the Dead Overkill sold pretty well overall?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »
How has Bayonetta been selling?

Bayonetta is brought to you today by the letters T & A.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »
So Madworld was a mismatch with players like me?  Yeah, but not because of its subject matter.  It's because it was boring, repetitive, and incredibly short-yet-too-long-for-its-concept.  However, I can't think of any console that would have been a good fit on.  Seriously, Sega, sometimes I think you go out of your way to try to insult me.  -_-'
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »
Madworld was released February 10, 2010 in Japan? I wonder how its been selling there?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 05:24:41 PM »
Sega needs to bring back the executives who were willing to spend $70 million to make a game, those guys were wreckless, but they made great games :P I want Shenmue 3 gawdammit
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
Sega needs to bring back the executives who were willing to spend $70 million to make a game, those guys were wreckless, but they made great games :P: I want Shenmue 3 gawdammit

Add Skies of Arcadia 2 and a proper Valkyria Chronicles console game sequel as well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 06:13:17 PM »
Sega needs to bring back the executives who were willing to spend $70 million to make a game, those guys were wreckless, but they made great games :P: : I want Shenmue 3 gawdammit

Add Skies of Arcadia 2 and a proper Valkyria Chronicles console game sequel as well.

And while they're at it, a decent Sonic game again....I know that is too much to ask.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:59:49 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
i will pay money for Shenmue 3, don't they understand...its like i invested my time on something, only to be put on a cliffhanger for 10 years!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post