Author Topic: Shadow of the Eternals and Eternal Darkness sequels thread  (Read 31429 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
So a couple of days ago I had a nerdgasm. I got some news for a game coming to a Nintendo platform that i'm actually excited about: Shadow of the Eternals. The Spiritual Successor to Eternal Darkness.

if you go to
http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

you will learn 2 things. Theres a game coming to wii u on the Crytek engine and it looks pretty awesome. One of the things that strikes me as bizarre is the level that they show off looks like a modified version of the Anthony level. Which, makes you wonder about the what Nintendo thinks about the game. Now of course one of the deals with Eternal Darkness was that the design of the levels was based on historical architecture.

One of the things I liked about it was they had Elizebeth Bathory, who I first learned about years ago. She for sure seems like someone who would be possessed by a bonethug. Nobody acts that batshit crazy regularly.

Some of the good things I heard were that there would be more than just in-door environments. There may also be a hot relationship between the blond and the redhead.

another thing Dyak said was paraphrased: "this time we have competition"

Which is what interests me. I was saying before this could be a Octopussy vs Never Say Never again situation where there are two bond movies coming out at the same time and competing against each other.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow of the Eternals and Eternal Darkness sequels thread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »
One question left to be answered its the time span between releases of individual episodes.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »
If I were to just deduce it myself. I'd guess about 2-4 months. Thats just about how long it takes to build a very fine tuned level in the Source engine by myself. They use the crytek engine so idk. Crytek engine is supposed to be a decently fast platform.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:39:48 PM »
it would take almost two years to release the entire 12 episodes, that sounds like a long time. I hope they have at least three episodes in the pipeline once the game launches.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »
Ain't gonna happen unless you give Dyack all yer money and even then it still won't happen and then Dyack will sue you.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:19:25 PM »
Ain't gonna happen unless you give Dyack all yer money and even then it still won't happen and then Dyack will sue you.

And loose and payback royalties :cool;

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:15:11 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it looked exactly like the Anthony Level. That level was one of my favorites though. Monks bursting into demons? Who doesn't like that. But what I liked most about that level was how futile it ultimately was.

If this gets made, I hope futility plays another role.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »
So, I watched IGN's interview with Dennis Dyack earlier. My eyebrows were raised pretty much throughout the interview, but this part in particular made me feel a little uneasy about the prospects for this game.

(6 mins 30secs)

McCaffrey - "What is the goal that is going to get this game done?"

Dyack - "The initial goal is 1.5 million to get it started. Ahhm...that may fluctuate (laughs)...I'm excited to do it, I certainly hope it's successful, but I feel fairly confident that it's going to be an exciting ride either way."

Seriously guys, Dyack scares the hell out of me. I'm a massive fan of Eternal Darkness and have been crying for years for a sequel (be it direct or spiritual), but I can't in good conscience give this guy (and by extension Precursor Games) my money.

Plus, I can't trust someone who can't pronounce 'plethora' properly.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:48:05 PM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
Dyack - "The initial goal is 1.5 million to get it started. Ahhm...that may fluctuate (laughs)...I'm excited to do it, I certainly hope it's successful, but I feel fairly confident that it's going to be an exciting ride either way."
I take that to mean that they will still try to make the game even if they don't meet their goal. For example, if they earn say $1.4 million, they'll still make the episode and maybe cut something (Kickstarter doesn't let you do that. If you don't meet your goal, too bad). I'm not advocating this, but Dyack seems pretty intent on releasing this game so it wouldn't surprise me.
Plus, I can't trust someone who can't pronounce 'plethora' properly.
He's Canadian. Those silly, silly Canadians...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
It's coming to Wii U?  And Dyack is involved? Cool. I thought it was just a small band of ex-Silicone Knights devs putting together a dream game of theirs. I also thought it was only going to be on PC.

I'll be watching this game for sure. I know they dropped a good deal of material from Eternal Darkness so I do hope that some of that appears. Also, Dyack always hinted at a 'hidden' 5th Ancient (the opposite of Mantorok the Chaos God and represented by the yellow magic in the original title) so here's hoping for that to be expanded as well. I remember researching that for my Eternal Darkness Mafia game years ago.

My biggest concern is that Nintendo, the rightful copyright holder, throws a wrench into things. Best case scenario Nintendo takes them and the project under their wing and it becomes a 'true' sequel. Though they can just change names and such but Nintendo even owns the copyright on the whole sanity gameplay element.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
I won't get my hopes up for a game that will not come out.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »
Nintendo fans made Eternal Darkness a cult classic. It's easiest to reach those fans first. That's most likely why this is coming to Wii U. It also doesn't hurt that there's next to no competition on the platform for this kind of game.

There's no doubt in my mind that Dyack, either at Silicon Knights or at Precursor Games (both?), pitched this project to Nintendo who refused even when Shadow of the Eternals easily could have been Eternal Darkness 2: Shadow of the Ancients or Shadow of Eternal Darkness. An Eternal Darkness sequel is looking at Eternal Darkness-esque sales. Probably not good enough for Nintendo even though they keep extending the ownership of the trademark. Still, I doubt Shadow of the Eternals could even be released period without Nintendo's blessing otherwise Precursor Games would have been served a cease and desist notice. This is the same Nintendo that let Silicon Knights off the hook to work on Too Human with Microsoft. Shadow of the Eternals is not even remotely subtle about how close it is to Eternal Darkness and Nintendo holds those rights so Nintendo is letting this happen. Precursor Games has to have an eshop license.

Dyack really plays up the crowd funding, community, and episodic aspect of this project, but really, what choice did he have? This was the only way the game was going to get made though he's acting like this was the plan from the beginning. He's really selling this idea that the community should get involved and suggest ideas. How much time would they even have between episodes to implement those changes and ideas without severe delays? More importantly, how much confidence can you have in your own project if you're already relying on your audience to fix ****? In the interview, Dyack says, "With episodic content, we have a chance to, you know, bring this out in stages and not only gauge a reaction, but allow the gamers to create the games as well." That's not my responsibility. You, sir, should build a game that doesn't suck. That said, I'm not really buying that whole dealie. At best, it's a sales pitch (You're helping to make the game, helper-person"). At worst, it's...

And I find it a bit strange that Dyack talks about how different Eternal Darkness was back in 2002 and how Shadow of the Eternals is trying to be different from what's out today and from Eternal Darkness. "It's got some of the same spirit of Eternal Darkness." Really, Denis? Everything you've shown is essentially Eternal Darkness. I'm pushing the shenanigans broom on that. About the only thing different so far are that the graphics are nicer and the cast of characters. That is, until you look at the last two silhouettes in the Cast section of the website.

Look familiar?

Pay attention to the end of that interview when Ryan McCaffrey asks if there will be any references or cameos and Dyack says, "I think anything is possible." Get your tinfoil hats ready, everyone.

It's important to note that the crowd funding is for the Pilot Episode only. Is this an audition? Does Precursor Games really want to gauge interest of players or Nintendo? If they really wanted to make something different from Eternal Darkness, they could easily make something different from Eternal Darkness. I'm under the impression that if Nintendo offered the use of Eternal Darkness in exchange for exclusivity (obviously), Dyack would drop the PC version and give up this "spiritual successor" posturing in a second. "We couldn't pass up the opportunity to work on Eternal Darkness." It wouldn't be the first time an unrelated game became a Nintendo franchise. Honestly, that's the only way I see all 12 chapters ever coming out.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:01:31 PM by Adrock »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 09:42:53 PM »
Yeah, this game is never coming out.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 09:47:30 PM »
NOOOOOPE.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »
The Pilot Episode might come out due to people's curiosity. Beyond that, nope. Don't episodic games tend to lose their audience? Dyack seems to think the opposite is true. I'm not pledging so I wouldn't really have the right to mourn if it doesn't get made.

Crowd funding isn't going to get it done, neither is the episodic route. If Precursor Games is really serious about Shadow of the Eternals, they need to do what Silicon Knights wasn't willing to do: work on projects they're not enthused about to fund the projects that they want to make.

Offline jayar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 09:49:06 AM »
On the website FAQ it at least offers a statement that they'll refund everyone's money if it's clear they won't have enough to make the game. Obviously, that's not much insurance, but as someone who has worked in the entertainment industry, I know statements like that aren't made lightly. Dyak's whole niche will be donating, and it wouldn't be a wise career move for him to alienate the whole niche by stealing their money. It's not like they could spend it all in the 30 day donation period anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about losing your 25 bucks. I'm not convinced this game will be made, but if you're interested in this game, I wouldn't write it off just yet. I think it's worth a gamble just to finally see a creative use of the Wii U's controller with new insanity effects.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 09:39:04 PM »
Probably picked up the assets for...

ONE DOLLAR, BOB!
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 02:25:19 AM »
well at their current rate they should make 1.3 million in their 30 day time. they seem to be making 43,333  a day.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 08:43:59 AM »
Yeah, it's never being made or coming out. Worst case - they release the demo that they made while they were supposed to be working on X-Men Destiny. Best case - they release the demo that they made while they were supposed to be working on X-Men Destiny.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 03:04:53 PM »
I think this first episode has a chance of coming out. My doubts lie more with the quality. I guess I should probably give Precursor Games the benefit of the doubt, but I am somewhat dubious that this will come close to Eternal Darkness.
Gouge away.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 04:24:30 AM »
Back to my What's Retro Studios working on?

The two notable guys they hired are: A level artist from uncharted, and a character artist from Darksiders.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »
there had been another video earlier, but here is one without commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UAwnT8A8EQ&

just wanted to post this old demo video too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDadY9AfVL0

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »
they now  have a kickstarter version of the campaign, asking for less money and a longer time period.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals?ref=card

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 03:49:54 PM »
Well if someone was nervous about their donation being taken, this should help reassure them.