Author Topic: Disney bought Fox: Fox Shareholders Agreed to $71B Disney Buyout!!  (Read 66275 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: Disney bought Fox: X-Men & Fantastic 4 coming home for X-Mas!!
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »
On the bright side this is all new to me, and I brought it up with a co-worker who is heavily invested in the political story and he laughed at me being out of date with my news. So my attempts to shield myself from the current political circus is at least somewhat working. One of the reasons I like being here is that we tend to be rather insulated from politics. Because you know what politics stands for: poli is the Greek word for many, ticks are blood sucking creatures, so politics is merely a collection of many bloodsucking creatures. and we deal with enough of those with exploitative companies like EA draining us with micro transactions and day-one-DLC.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline segagamersteph

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2018, 11:15:41 PM »
For the record, I didn't report anyone. I agree with BnM the discussion about one merger has bearing on another, but if you are going to get into it then it's going to divide people.

Perm, I suppose you are right. However, to be air, $8 or thereabouts for ONE movie is still relatively expensive compared to roughly $8 bucks a month or so for Netflix. Especially considering the endless hours versus, you know, 2-3 for the same money. It's all relative I guess.

My only point was it doesn't matter who owns what, the prices of tickets and the prices of internet are both going to go up.

Sticking to just what it means for Marvel: There is absolutely no way to integrate the Fantastic Four and Xm-Men back into the proper MCU without completely ignoring everything Fox has already done, including Deadpool. Now, considering Marvel (before Disney) did some retconning of their own and Fox has basically made a mess of all of their properties it's going to basically require a clean slate anyways.

The ironic thing about all of this is Marvel, and thus Disney, wouldn't be in the position they are if the Fox X-Me films hadn't paved the way for them in the first place. In some ways I kind of think Warner and DC are in a better position to come out ahead if they play their cards right.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2018, 11:27:01 PM »
Deadpool being self-aware is the reason they could easily put him in the MCU "as-is"...but it's also the reason they can't.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2018, 12:32:26 AM »
Perm, I suppose you are right. However, to be air, $8 or thereabouts for ONE movie is still relatively expensive compared to roughly $8 bucks a month or so for Netflix. Especially considering the endless hours versus, you know, 2-3 for the same money. It's all relative I guess.

My only point was it doesn't matter who owns what, the prices of tickets and the prices of internet are both going to go up.

Increasing inflation on all products is not a guarantee. There is a possibility some 12 years down the line that they'll have a tough time getting people into theater seats when the average person has a giant 4k - 8k TV in their living room or VR goggles. There could be some future steaming movies that completely undermine Theatergoership. Prices could plummet.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »
Theaters are already getting creative to counter this. MCU/Star Wars/etc marathons before a new film in a series launches is a prime example. Going to the theater is still a popular thing to go out and experience. The important thing is them adapting as media evolves. Even with a nice TV, I like to take my wife to a different locale to enjoy some time together (and maybe convince her we can get away with something else while we are there).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
Well, those are all the very reasons I don't go to the movies anymore, all aside from the rising costs. Why would I pay $8 plus for snack to sit in an uncomfortable, crowded theater when I got an HDTV at home and a heated leather recliner?

Yeah, theaters in Texas have started putting in recliners to counter that. Fewer seats, but make them luxury items and they raised ticket prices too. Fewer seats means less money to be made so ticket prices go up. That's the future of theaters. They have no choice but to increase costs in order to make the experience better than the experience you get at home. It's been that way since TV came on the scene and forced movies to go widescreen then surround sound was added, etc. 3D worked for a while but even that's wearing off. People need an incentive to go to the theaters and raising ticket prices to cover those costs is not ideal.

They cut the number of available seats in half when they installed recliners. That trend might not have spread nationwide yet but it could.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2018, 02:16:23 PM »
Well, those are all the very reasons I don't go to the movies anymore, all aside from the rising costs. Why would I pay $8 plus for snack to sit in an uncomfortable, crowded theater when I got an HDTV at home and a heated leather recliner?

It's called atmosphere. At least when it comes to BIG blockbuster movies and good horror and comedies.

Sharing in the excitement/horror/laughs of a large audience of fans in real time as it unfolds on the screen is an experience you don't really get at home.
Everyone says they HATE when people talk during the movie, but have you ever been to a horror movie where they talk at the movie, and in a way that actually boost your enjoyment level?
Or to a comedy that you thought was kinda funny, but it was really that couple down the row somewhere that was cracking up that finally got you to just let the laughs out and just enjoy the stupidity for what it was.

All things that you usually only find in the theater.
And now that they finally upgraded those terrible seats in most theaters I go to, and allow you to pick your seat ahead of time, I actually enjoy the experience more. I don't mind paying an extra $2 a ticket to not only be comfortable, but not have to worry about where I'm gonna sit because I showed up 2 minutes before the movie started instead of 30 minutes before the previews. Time is money, and I'd rather spend a little more money to save myself the time. Not everyone feels the same way, but that's also why they still have plenty of theaters with old seats, cheap ticket prices, and probably smaller screens.

Deadpool being self-aware is the reason they could easily put him in the MCU "as-is"...but it's also the reason they can't.

It's gonna be hilarious to see him pop up eventually in random movies, be completely aware of everyone and whats going on, crack a joke, and all the MCU vets just trying to push past him like he's some mental ward escapee that getting in the way.

He could be a bridge between the rebooted X-Men and the MCU proper for all I care, but his integration as-is, needs to happen in some way or another.

Offline segagamersteph

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2018, 02:20:40 PM »
Maybe I am getting older. I don't enjoy standing in line, being crowded or any of those talking things you said. No, not me, I want to enjoy the movie in peace, to be totally immersed in the experience. To each his own I guess.

I hated the pick your own seat thing too. I want to walk into  a theater and find a seat, sit down be done with it. I hate having to figure out the seating chart and planning ahead with a group of 3 or more is a pain in the ass. Maybe I am just anti social too.

I think BnM's version of Deadpool would work though. I can see that happening. I am excited either way as the X-Men are the only super heroes I really care about.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »
I only go to Imax movies now...which means you buy your ticket online, choose your seat, and never stand in a line.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2018, 03:20:33 PM »
I only go to Imax movies now...which means you buy your ticket online, choose your seat, and never stand in a line.

AMEN. me too.

Maybe I am getting older. I don't enjoy standing in line, being crowded or any of those talking things you said. No, not me, I want to enjoy the movie in peace, to be totally immersed in the experience. To each his own I guess.

I hated the pick your own seat thing too. I want to walk into  a theater and find a seat, sit down be done with it. I hate having to figure out the seating chart and planning ahead with a group of 3 or more is a pain in the ass. Maybe I am just anti social too.

I think BnM's version of Deadpool would work though. I can see that happening. I am excited either way as the X-Men are the only super heroes I really care about.

To each their own.
new selected seating prevents being "crowded". Knowing I'm going to an opening night. I get to choose my seat WEEKS aghead of time, pay for my ticket, and as you said.... be done with it. Now I can freely show up minutes before the movie. even stand in line for popcorn and soda and not worry about getting stuck in the very front row all the way to the edge.
Actually I can show up a little early, get to my seat w/ my daughter, and then get up and take her to the bathroom during the previews, w/o even worrying that someone stole our seats before we got back. seats are assigned. I might've paid a a lil extra for that convenience, but it's worth it.

and Scream and Get Out with an enthusiastic talker at the screen was absolutely a blast in the theater. He was hilarious.

Certain comedies w/ contagious laughter can allow you to relax an know you aren't the only one laughing, even if it's mostly the other persons laugh you are laughing at more so than the scene they are laughing at.

and someone screaming at an intense/scary scene, and startling you and/or the person you are with  helps you share the experience in the moment.

But if you don't enjoy none of that... well... avoid spoiler waiting for that home release. or get to that early sunday morning theater opening showing several weeks after release.

to each their own.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2018, 03:34:07 PM »
I would buy my tickets online but that would be the expensive and dumb thing to do here. They charge you for the privilege to book a movie online. Plus most movies isn't exactly packed with people with zero lines and the tickets at the door is cheaper for the place I go to, up to half price depending on where else in the city to compare it to. It's is part of the same corporate chain so it isn't some independent cinema.

It's cheap enough to casually watch a movie with friends on a whim. But that is the exception, not the rule.
Now if you are going to some premier for a big movie, well that is not much different than anywhere else.
to each their own.
I always hate it when someone says this as the vast majority of the time it's to dodge how wrong they are by trying to convert something objective to a subjective therefore no one is wrong. Your use is one of the few times I have seen it used validly.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2018, 04:17:02 PM »
I generally despise going to the theaters, even the new ones that have recliner seating. With as much the ticket costs, I could just buy the BluRay for not too much more 2-3 months later & enjoy the film at my own pace on my 55 in 1080p TV while lying in bed w/ my phone & computer nearby. Add on top of that Hollywood's declining interest in making anything I want to see, and the movie industry can't die soon enough to me.

I fell out of enjoying the release day crowds a long time ago.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:31:27 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »
There is also the debate about theaters and talking in theaters. The Alamo Theaters will throw out patrons for talking during the movie. I understand talking during a movie might bother some people, but how far does that rule go?
I really don't want some dead silent theater. I hear people complaining about crowds being too noisy at theaters. I kind of feel like that is the point. I like audience reaction. An often cited contrast between American and Japanese audiences was Americans would react with the movie, whearas a Japanese audience would be dead silent during a movie and only clap for approval once the movie commenced. Which, is robotic and weird. Is audience participation dying or worse shunned in the US? I've heard complainers online basically turning perfectly normal activity into taboo.

Some of my best experiences have been going to horror movies at theaters. Hearing an audience scream, cringe, and laugh is something I've always felt enhanced the experience.

I should note sometimes it is interesting being in a theater by yourself. I watched Green Inferno. I was the only person in the theater. The janitor came in when the movie was over and he looked around and I told him "you don't have to do nothing. I was the only one here. There's no trash" It was a Wednesday matinee.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:32:05 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2018, 05:10:21 PM »
They do charge a convenience fee, and that does suck. Fortunately my friend buys almost all of my tickets. It's worth the fee to get a great seat and not wait in line though.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2018, 06:42:57 PM »
I like to go to movies alone, makes things much faster, easier to co-ordinate.

Also, I think Disney ignoring the Fox stuff to pull the X-men into the MCU is probably a good thing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2018, 07:53:33 PM »
Also, I think Disney ignoring the Fox stuff to pull the X-men into the MCU is probably a good thing.
Disney is NOT going to acknowledge anything to do with the FoX-Men or Foxtastic4.
Deadpool might reference it, and everyone in the MCU will look at him like he's crazy babbling non-sense, but we'll love him for it, and Marvel should absolutely continue to embrace that.

AT&T **** up Update....

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2018, 09:37:06 PM »
It'd be funny if Deadpool 2 ended with Cable snapping his fingers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2018, 09:51:59 PM »

And then Deadpool looking around all confused... and everyone else looking around all confused, all as if they are waiting for something to happen. and then nothing does. ::fade to black:: roll credits?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
Re: Disney bought Fox: X-Men & Fantastic 4 coming home for Summer 2019!!
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2018, 12:25:14 AM »

And then Deadpool looking around all confused... and everyone else looking around all confused, all as if they are waiting for something to happen. and then nothing does. ::fade to black:: roll credits?

yeah

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2018, 05:28:28 PM »
Update from earlier post - Justin Hammer and the "real" Mandarin (well and the fake one) are still alive too.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2018, 09:06:51 PM »
I enjoy the shared audience experience of going to a movie theater.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:08:24 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
Comcast says it will bid on Fox, in attempt to block Disney acquisition

Exciting developments!

Hmmm... they seem to suggest that the AT&T merger might go thru.

I don't see anything in the article to suggest that other than
Furthermore, the proposed merger is a vertical one — that is, AT&T and Time Warner are not rivals. That could weaken the Justice Department’s call for antitrust action. A similar merger between Comcast and NBCUniversal was approved without a lawsuit in 2011, although Comcast agreed to a consent decree forbidding it from treating NBCU content more favorably than competitors on its network.

I had to look it up, but I thought Time Warner still included the cable company... but apparently that is no longer true.
https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/time-warner-and-time-warner-cable-are-two-different-things/180524

So hopefully the anti-trust stuff sticks, or at least drags the case out long enough that the Disney vote happens before the verdict, and therefore before the Comcast bid. Hopefully Murdoch will get the vote moved up to early June, and the AT&T/TW cast delays well into August.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2018, 09:57:29 PM »
I'm wondering is Comcast is acting on speculation.  Or if maybe they have some insider info either industry rumblings or if they bought some access.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2018, 10:40:32 PM »
Pretty sure this still wouldn't be approved, and also Comcast's cash offer is not as good as Disney's offer because it would have to be taxed, making it actually a smaller offer - and Disney's stock is surely worth more than what Comcasdt is offering. I think Comcast it just trying to look like they have a leg to stand on.