Author Topic: This Week's Virtual Console … and WiiWare  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
This Week's Virtual Console … and WiiWare
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:48:10 PM »
This week brings two WiiWare titles and one NES title for the Virtual Console.
 http://nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15985

Week two of WiiWare has arrived, and with it comes two new titles: Critter Round-Up and the shooter Star Soldier R. Coming along with these two titles is the NES release, SKYKID.    

Critter Round-Up is a puzzle-action game that tasks the player with quickly corralling the animals in the barnyard. In order to corral the animals, players will need to mend fences to keep them safe and satisfied. Aside from the main puzzle game, Critter Round-Up includes 50 challenge levels and a series of minigames including Snowball Soccer, Predator Rampage, Chicken Catch, and Fence Trap. In addition, up to four players are able to either compete or cooperate. Critter Round-Up is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now through the Wii Shop channel for 1,000 Wii Points.    

Star Soldier R is another space shooter, but a unique one that tasks the player with obtaining the best score possible within a time limit of two or five minutes. Players will need to develop the best possible strategy to compete on online leaderboards with the world's best players. Star Soldier R is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now through the Wii Shop Channel for 800 Wii Points.    

Along with the two new WiiWare titles, the NES sees another release through the Virtual Console. SKYKID is a side-scrolling shooter where the player takes to the skies as the Red Baron to defeat his rival, Blue Max. Players will need to defeat enemies using the various skills of the Red Baron, including the patented loop-the-loop. The main adventure also supports co-op play, allowing two players to simultaneously progress though the game. SKYKID is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now for the Virtual Console for the NES standard, 500 Wii Points.    

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL    

May 19, 2008    

Today begins a new phase for the Wii-kly Update. From now on, we'll have all the information about the arrival of both WiiWare™ and Virtual Console™ games. So basically you're getting access to the best games of the past and the coolest creations of the present. With this week's releases you can blast space-based enemies with your starfighter, fly the not-always-friendly skies or even corral some cute critters in the barnyard.    

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:    

WiiWare    

Critter Round-Up (Konami, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone - Comic Mischief, 1,000 Wii Points): The critters have escaped, and the barnyard is in chaos! It's up to you to quickly corral the animals in this puzzle-action challenge. You'll have to mend fences in a hurry to keep all the critters safe and satisfied. But the fun doesn't stop with the farmland; more than 50 challenging levels take you to several exotic locations, including the outback, the icy Arctic and more. There's even a series of minigames for when the critters get you down: Snowball Soccer, Predator Rampage, Chicken Catch and Fence Trap. Up to four players can compete or cooperate as the critters run wild. So roll up those sleeves and grab a friend-those critters won't catch themselves.    

Star Soldier R (Hudson Entertainment, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): Star Soldier R is a new kind of shooter where players aim for the best scores within a two- or five-minute time limit. Develop various scoring strategies, and pump out those points within the breakneck time frame. Assembled in record time to counter the advance of a powerful enemy, the mysterious Brain Forces, the "Caesar" starfighter takes off to fight for the very future of mankind. Shoot down countless enemies, upgrade your ship to the max with power-ups hidden throughout the levels and wage an all-out assault against the core of the enemy fortress. Combining the excitement of shoot-'em-ups with in-depth scoring strategies, this state-of-the-art competitive shooter will keep you coming back for more. Upload your best scores with Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection, and pit your skills against the world's best fighter pilots from the comfort of your living room. Hone your skills and show the world who's boss.    

Virtual Console    

SKYKID™ (NES®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): Red Baron, from the freedom- and peace-loving nation of birds, Bird Land, faces off in the skies with his rival Blue Max in this side-scrolling shooting game. Defeat the many enemies that await you as you complete your mission, using moves like the loop-the-loop to shoot down enemies from behind. Fly low to pick up bombs placed in the stage and drop them on command posts, warships or other designated targets to destroy them. Then land safely at base to proceed to the next mission. Beware of enemy fire, though-it will cause you to crash, unless you're able to recover by rapidly pressing the buttons. You can even play with a second person and fly simultaneously, sometimes helping each other and other times competing against each other. Prepare yourself and take to the skies, but make sure that the catchy background music (which became an instant classic when this game was originally released) doesn't distract you from your goal.    

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Check out PixlBit!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: This Week's Virtual Console … and WiiWare
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:17:55 AM »
Well, looks like I'm sitting out this week, unless Critter Round-Up is better than it seems. I think Toki Tori is coming next week, I'm all over that one.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
Wake me when they release EarthBound.
GOREGASM!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 12:33:12 AM »
Critter round up looked like JezzBall lol.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 12:39:23 AM »
Nintendo doesn't want me to buy anymore Wiiware games. I only have 72 blocks yet and basically have 3 WiiWare games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 01:28:31 AM »
Wake me when they release EarthBound.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 03:29:49 AM »
Star Soldier R looks good, but I'm more interested in Gyrostarr and Protothea so I won't be getting it. GP, you're practically swimming in blocks compared to me, after downloading LostWinds earlier (because nothing good came out today) I'm down to 15. I just pray that that will be enough for Wii Fit. *insert complaint about lack of hard drive*.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »
How many VC games do you guys have?

Edit: Wiiware is live in Australia.

Launch titles are:
Lost Winds
Final Fantasy
Dr Mario
Tv Quiz Show
Star Soldier
Toki Tori
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 10:30:34 AM by blackfootsteps »
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.”

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:06:39 AM »
I just wrote my recommendation for SkyKid for the site...

Recommended for Everyone

It really is a pretty damn good game and it was one of my favorites as a kid.  Has a sweet co-op mode and a stead difficulty curve.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:19:07 PM »
How many VC games do you guys have?

Off the top of my head

NES
Solomon's Key
Kirby's Adventure
Zelda
Zelda II
Mario Bros
Donkey Kong
Pac-Man
Galaga
TMNT
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3

SNES
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Zelda
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Breath of Fire II
Donkey Kong Country

Genesis
Sonic 2
Altered Beast
Biohazard Battle
Shinobi III
Toe Jam and Earl Panic on Funkotron
Columns
Space Harrier II
Gunstar Heroes

TG16
Splatterhouse
Bonk's Adventure
Bomberman 93

Neo Geo
World Heroes

N64
Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Sin and Punishment
Yoshi something or other

WiiWare
Lost Winds

Channels
Opera
News
Forecast
Voting
Mii
Photo 1.1
Check Mii Out
Nintendo

Right now I am overflowing and have no room at all to download, which is why I transfered EVERYTHING to the SD card and only put one game a time on the Wii itself.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »
I have 60 Virtual Console games, including 9 N64 games, and I have 3 Wii Ware games. I've had storage issues for a while now.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »
I haven't bough a VC game in awhile so I'm sure that Insanolord has passed me... but god if I'm having trouble resisting purchasing more WiiWare games right now. MUST...RESIST...CRITTER-ROUND-UP... GAK
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 06:00:07 PM »
yeah, but I have been unemployed since Wii launched, and I have that many games, imagine if I had a steady income.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 06:49:06 PM »
I haven't bought one since River City Ransom, and before that it was a while back. There are quite a few I'd like that are already out, but since not only have I run out of space I keep losing it to game saves and Wii Ware games I don't buy any unless I really want them. If and when Nintendo gets around to giving us a storage solution my total will jump quite a bit.

J.P. Corbran