Community Forums > General Chat

Windows 11/10 best operating system - The Windows Thread

<< < (3/4) > >>

oohhboy:
I resigned to Windows 10 about a year ago. It's alright when you strip away all the Windows 10 guff and work around the awful bits like search which btw has never been good in any Windows. Might as well read tea leaves. What pisses me off is how it's update system even now doesn't work as intended or good for the User.

The damn thing would threaten to restart for an update mid gaming session giving you a Robocop count down.

While it's nice that when you restart the computer it gives you the option to restart normally or restart and update, it's rolling dice as to what it does next. You choose to restart/update and it doesn't or vis versa. Then it wouldn't update no matter how many times you select R/U making you manually go into Windows update to force a download as the R/U button there doesn't work either. Some updates happen silently so when you ask it to update you don't know if it applied it on that update or not without a manual check.

I am so happy that I only have to deal with only when playing games as it allows me to make it expendable. I run a Hackintosh as the primary and Time Machine continues to amaze me. As long as TM's HDD is working I have no worries.

Plugabugz:
It's the system/feature updates that drive me nuts the most.  Every 6 months we get a new version that causes the entire office to say "my laptop updated and i had to wait 2 hours for it to catch up"

Google managed to handle seamless updates (short update , reboot, it updates quietly while you use it) but Microsoft cant find a way to achieve similar after nearly 20 years (since XP)?

oohhboy:
Heck, Apple managed it from the first OSX and before that updates were just normal patches you downloaded and ran. https://sparkle-project.org/ basically revolutionised updating. When I first saw it in action I was floored how much I didn't need to do anything. Because how Windows is even applications updates can be rather hit or miss.

If you're running enterprise you should be able to push updates when it is ready for you instead of "Whenever, because". You can try to manage the "People", well most of the time and if it is a small enough office. But then maybe be not because MS **** you random update even with enterprise.

The boss also brought below bottom of the barrel computers that were obsolete the moment it was an brain fart because they think it's saving money when it is costing them many times over in lost productivity. IT is usually so underfunded it is a miracle at times anything gets done. It's satisfyingly ironic when it is the boss's computer takes a whole day to update then with a cherry on top Fail.

Also ROFL at the Xbone updates not being able to do delta patches. This means a lot of the time especially on launch you can end up downloading the same game several times over. It is not unusual to see a PS4 patch be 500MB and the Xbone but 20GB for the very same thing.

When you do fresh Windows install they don't give you the latest image with all the updates. They are usually a year behind so that's several restarts worth of updates unless you roll your own image. MacOS always has the latest image so after a reinstall you are immediately good to go.

BlackNMild2k1:

--- Quote from: Plugabugz on June 18, 2018, 07:00:54 AM ---It's the system/feature updates that drive me nuts the most.  Every 6 months we get a new version that causes the entire office to say "my laptop updated and i had to wait 2 hours for it to catch up"

Google managed to handle seamless updates (short update , reboot, it updates quietly while you use it) but Microsoft cant find a way to achieve similar after nearly 20 years (since XP)?

--- End quote ---

I always try to find a way to stop the auto update... the system quietly reverts back to auto update, and then as soon as I leave the computer alone for a lengthy period of time, the system updates behind my back. And I always know right away because it will always go to sleep an not wake up unless I physically hit the button on the PC Case, and if even that doesn't work... that means it froze. OR I come back and it never went to sleep, and that's because it's been frozen the entire time I've been gone. Eventually it either starts working right and stops freezing 4x a day, or I just uninstall whatever the latest update is.
If it wasn't for that... Windows is just windows.
p.s. even the upgrade to Win10 was behind my back after I kept telling it NO. It did it automatically behind my back.

pokepal148:
So quick update,  I have managed to get the laptop replaced with a new version after all. I successfully installed the SSD and 8 gigs of Ram on it and that has turned it into a pretty solid performer for things like watching Twitch streams while surfing the web. I really like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version