Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Wii U External USB Storage Devices

<< < (7/8) > >>

NWR_insanolord:
I use a Y cable with mine and it works fine. I’ve had the same drive on there since the system’s launch and have had no issues.

Khushrenada:
Great! Thanks for the response.

Order.RSS:
Same here, got a $50 hard drive and a Y cable plugged into both of the back USB ports. No issues the past 5 years. *knocks on wood*
250 or 320GB will be more than enough, those XCX packs are like 10GB tops. As for the Y cable, I believe it's a single Micro USB-Type B leading into two regular USB Type A plugs you're looking for. They're like 5 bucks on ebay/amazon.
The reason people go for Y cables with regular HDDs is because the Wii U uses low-powered USB ports, so you run the risk of them not being able to draw enough power from a single port.

I feel like I remember Pokepal mentioning they used a lower power-drawing SSD in an enclosure with a single USB cable, but could be mistaken. I'm also not sure if the i/o data transfer on Wii U is high enough to take advantage of SSD read/write speeds, probably not?

You could also go for a thumb drive or even an SD card in a USB hub, but back in the day people often said those aren't designed to constantly read/write data back and forth, so using them for gaming would kill them quite fast. Maybe by now those storage mediums have become more durable? But if a HDD is possible, I'd still go for that.

pokepal148:
The Wii U can run an SSD with a single USB port but if you already have an external drive set up there isn't much reason to swap over unless that drive starts to fail.

Considering the Wii U doesn't have a large enough library to require more than 256gb of storage it should be pretty easy to find one for relatively cheap but the Wii U cannot take advantage of the higher speeds. This is very much a case where the advantage is only needing one USB port.

nickmitch:
I haven't had it plugged in for a while, but I do remember having a portable hard drive with a Y cable hooked to my Wii U.

I might have to find it and see if it still works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version