Author Topic: Age of Empires DS (Maybe)  (Read 8448 times)

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Age of Empires DS (Maybe)
« on: February 03, 2005, 08:49:11 PM »
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4280

It seems that AoE may be in development for the DS. Neato!

Glad to see that someone finally realized the DS is great for RTS games.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Age of Empires DS (Maybe)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 09:30:07 PM »
I've heard about this, it looks like it may be legit.  Would do the system a lot of good if it is and it's good. -- And if people buy it and more come.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Gamefreak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 09:36:46 PM »
Well RTS's have come a long way since AOE... I hope instead of just porting it, they remake it. And I hope this includes both the expansion and AOE... Imagine if it was just a straight port of AOE... which didn't even have queueing of units... You had to build them one at a time lol
Age of Empires 2 is way too much for the DS to handle but both AOE+expansion and Starcraft+expansion would be great...

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Age of Empires DS (Maybe)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 10:20:13 PM »
This brings up another issue. Age of Empires is a Microsoft owned franchise, correct? Then this would show that MS is indeed supporting the DS after all (even if they aren't developing or publishing this game), and thus makes the possibility of a Halo DS seem all the more likely.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline DemonFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 10:35:19 PM »
I don't believe it...
Age of Empires belongs to Microsoft and i'm pretty sure they won't make a game for the DS. If they were gonna make a game for handheld, it would probably be the Gizmondo by Tiger Electronics. And u can't just believe this just cuz 1 site says it's gonna come out! EBGames has "Balloon Trip" listed on their site. I've send them a couple of emails about that being a tech demo and the improved version is called "Yoshi's Touch & Go" but they JUST WONT LISTEN! Now EBGames is the only site with "Balloon Trip" listed, but that doesn't mean it will ever exist!

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 11:02:57 PM »
Yeah but EBgames put it up for a reason, because it existed at one point. They probably just don't want to mess with their database.

Anyway, if MS lets things that "belong to them" on GBA then hows the DS different. They won't put it on Gizmondo cause it won't sell. They'll put it on DS because 1)They'll get money 2) it makes sense 3) it will sell 4) Everyone knows MS would rather see the DS win over the PSP 5) the more competitive the DS's lineup becomes, the more money and effort Sony has to put into the PSP, and the therefore the less Sony is focused on PS3

MS is not stupid. Unlike Sony they are not a biased "omg our precious franchises cannot be besmirched by the taint of an enemies platform!!!!" kind of company. They are open minded and smart and it would be smart for AOE on DS.

Just like it would be smart for Halo DS. The problem is getting a developer to competely make it good... I highly doubt Bungie is interested and Gearbox (who ported Halo to PC) is probably uninterested, porting Halo 2 to PC, or unable as they don't mess with handhelds.

People come up with all sorts of great ideas. Starcraft would be great on DS! yeah, duh. Now concince Blizzard to do it then find them a developer to handle it. (actually, in this case it's not really a problem since Blizzard already has a division porting classics to GBA..DS is the next step right?)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 11:31:25 PM »

Originally posted by: Urkel
This brings up another issue. Age of Empires is a Microsoft owned franchise, correct? Then this would show that MS is indeed supporting the DS after all (even if they aren't developing or publishing this game), and thus makes the possibility of a Halo DS seem all the more likely.

I'd be more excited about a possilbe Perfect Dark DS if that's the case.

Offline DemonFox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 12:20:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak
Yeah but EBgames put it up for a reason, because it existed at one point. They probably just don't want to mess with their database.

Anyway, if MS lets things that "belong to them" on GBA then hows the DS different. They won't put it on Gizmondo cause it won't sell. They'll put it on DS because 1)They'll get money 2) it makes sense 3) it will sell 4) Everyone knows MS would rather see the DS win over the PSP 5) the more competitive the DS's lineup becomes, the more money and effort Sony has to put into the PSP, and the therefore the less Sony is focused on PS3

MS is not stupid. Unlike Sony they are not a biased "omg our precious franchises cannot be besmirched by the taint of an enemies platform!!!!" kind of company. They are open minded and smart and it would be smart for AOE on DS.

Just like it would be smart for Halo DS. The problem is getting a developer to competely make it good... I highly doubt Bungie is interested and Gearbox (who ported Halo to PC) is probably uninterested, porting Halo 2 to PC, or unable as they don't mess with handhelds.

People come up with all sorts of great ideas. Starcraft would be great on DS! yeah, duh. Now concince Blizzard to do it then find them a developer to handle it. (actually, in this case it's not really a problem since Blizzard already has a division porting classics to GBA..DS is the next step right?)

Haven't thought about it that way. Guess you could be right. But still... RTS on a handheld? =S That would be a first time, I think.
Oh and I meant Gamestop BTW. Their sites look so alike...

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 04:06:31 AM »
Cool i guess... RTS Games make sense on the DS...  
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 10:04:31 AM »
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 05:54:09 AM »
MS publishes Gameboy games so it can definitely publish for the DS. And remember, they don't consider Nintendo a threat for the major console market, so damaging Sony on Handhelds only further helps them.

And I'm not sure what you mean, Bloodworth, about it being out of date. AoEII is often considered the second best 2D game. But remember, these are the same people who did Age of Mythology. And right now they are making...yes...Age of Empires III. That makes it all the more likely, imho. Seems sensible: new PC game being made, probably an XBOX version, and a handheld version. And lets fce it, if you're going to make a handheld version of an RTS it'll be for the DS.

http://www.ensemblestudios.com/

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 08:57:44 AM »
I think they're seeing the DS as a platform to throw PC ports at and make profit on. They don't care Nintendo benefits from this as well.

Offline DemonFox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 12:56:47 PM »
Just found this (probably) fake AoE DS screenshot:

CLICKY!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2005, 01:14:18 PM »
Thats Age of Empires 2 buddy . FAKE
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline DemonFox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005, 01:21:44 PM »
Yeah it looked a lot like AoE2 but I never played 1 so I couldn't be sure.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2005, 01:59:31 PM »
You guys, they're not going to port the origina AoE...Theyr'e calling it AoE DS because it is the first DS game in the series...

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2005, 06:13:49 PM »
I highly doubt they will make an original DS game... Ensemble studios is in the middle of AOE3, which has several months left, when the heck did they start a new DS game? I think it's a port... but whatever...

And the picture is obviously fake... It's just a PC screenshot chopped up and repasted into DS layout... Look at the buttons around the minimap. Exactly like the PC version... Why would there be buttons on the top screen?

You know what would be useful in an RTS game? Pressing the L button to instantly switch the top and bottom screens. Because truthfully both screens have things that you need touch control for. You need it for troop control on one, and building orders and such on the other.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005, 09:07:12 PM »
Outsourcing ports is possible. Besides, ports don't take up the whole manpower of a dev studio.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2005, 10:42:30 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
MS publishes Gameboy games so it can definitely publish for the DS. And remember, they don't consider Nintendo a threat for the major console market, so damaging Sony on Handhelds only further helps them.

MS doesn't publish games on GameBoy, they have a deal with THQ to do that.  Majesco is listed as the publisher for this game.  I would not be suprised if Ms made a similar deal to THQ's with Majesco.  This would be the first MS IP on DS.

Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2005, 08:10:57 AM »

Originally posted by: Berto2K

Originally posted by: Artimus

MS doesn't publish games on GameBoy, they have a deal with THQ to do that.  Majesco is listed as the publisher for this game.  I would not be suprised if Ms made a similar deal to THQ's with Majesco.  This would be the first MS IP on DS.

That is exactly what I said? There are my post is a train wreck games on the GBA.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005, 09:19:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Gamefreak

MS is not stupid. Unlike Sony they are not a biased "omg our precious franchises cannot be besmirched by the taint of an enemies platform!!!!" kind of company.

You know, Nintendo is that way too...

Offline DemonFox

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2005, 09:52:41 AM »
I don't think so... Name one Nintendo game that didn't came out on a Nintendo console. Well...
I know the Philips had the right to make some Zelda and Mario games but those were only names. They weren't made by Nintendo. That and it's been over 10 years since then.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2005, 12:11:16 PM »
Nintendo has no reason to make for other platforms. They have a handheld and a console...

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2005, 12:35:26 PM »

Originally posted by: DemonFox
I don't think so... Name one Nintendo game that didn't came out on a Nintendo console. Well...
I know the Philips had the right to make some Zelda and Mario games but those were only names. They weren't made by Nintendo. That and it's been over 10 years since then.

No, I mean Nintendo is like Sony.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2005, 05:27:14 PM »
Yeah but this isn't an Xbox site trying to get Nintendo games, it's a Nintendo site trying to get MS games So we could care less about what Nintendo's like right?

Anyway, anyone remember in Conker's BFD how if you left Conker idle he'd whip out a GBC and start playing? Go on Rare's site and there's a picture of Conker's new updated idle animation... Conker playing an SP! (that was up for months though...maybe they'll give him a DS?).

I mean, MS would NEVER allow Conker to be playing a PSP, so that pretty sums up MS's stance.
Wait, I just had a hilarious idea. A new weapon for Conker, a PSP! Pick one up and shoot razor sharp discs at evil Tediz!
Or perhaps if you leave conker idle, he'll whip out a PSP, it'll give an error, he'll cuss it out and break it, then play on the SP lol