Author Topic: Meteos!  (Read 32730 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Meteos!
« on: January 28, 2005, 09:43:17 PM »
HOLY MOLY, after watching this video and reading these impressions, I am convinced Meteos will be freaking awesome!

Basically it's a puzzle game where you have to launch the blocks, on the bottom screen, into space, which is on the top screen. You have to create jets or something to launch the blocks, and if there are too many blocks on top of the jet, they won't make it all the way to the top, so you have to launch jets where there aren'y many blocks at a time, or try and boost the blocks with more jets, or something! If that made no sense at all to you, read those impressions and watch the video. Oh, and somehow the touch screen plays a major role.

This could be DS's Tetris! Or will Tetris DS be DS's Tetris? Well, this ain't the next Tetris, it's the first Meteos!

What do you guys think of this game?

Offline DemonFox

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Meteos!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 01:13:23 AM »
Well sorry but I'm kinda sick of puzzle games now...
The DS has way to many of them.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 03:34:48 AM »
Yeah, it has like... ...... three puzzle games. Way too many.

Q Entertainment's serious approach to game music is expected to carry over into Meteos as well, however the demo only features one musical track. That track gives the game an epic, arcade-like feel, though. Military-like drums purr louder as the screen fills with blocks, and loud sirens sound off when a row is approaching the top of the screen -- usually the last sound players hear before greeted with the "Game Over" screen.

Hot. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
RE:Meteos!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 03:57:53 AM »
The reason for all the puzzle games is most companies have yet to fully realize how to utilize the touchpad for anything useful so they fall back on puzzle games

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 04:32:03 AM »
Puzzle games are awesome.  The more the better.  Have you ever stopped to think at the amount of time goes into crafting a great puzzle game.  probobly not, you just see falling blocks and think that its a simple mindless borefest, when in fact great puzzle games have more depth than the FPS and random action games you guys freak over.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 05:06:46 AM »
Funny, Mario.  I just watched the same video at GameSpy and came here to ask what the hell was going on.  Maybe I'm not as smart as I used to be, but I totally don't get it.  I really want to be excited about this game, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

How does one connect the blocks to form the rocket?  It looks kind of like Bejeweled--but is it?

And holy Jesus I hope that video it from the Tetris equivlent of level 100+.  I don't think there's any way I could catch onto the game if it's the starting speed.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 06:31:38 AM »
Puzzle games are killer apps. I'm not joking. They appeal to adults and non-gamers and can be seriously addicting. They also work very well with touchscreen controls and for short breaks.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 07:20:47 AM »
I downloaded that video last night.  It looks intense.
I'm not huge on puzzle games, though I do get them every now and then, but my mother and sister like the DS a lot, and I know they both like puzzle games (especially my mother), so I might get this.  It certainly looks fun, and much more exciting than most puzzle games.  Very interesting idea.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 07:27:10 AM »
puzzle games are ok.

I'm more into adventure and strategy games myself.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 08:18:55 AM »
Someone created a Meteos flash game.  Linky.

It's ... not bad.

It's very basic, and not nearly as fast at the actual game.  It also suffers from the problem that you can only switch places with the piece directly above the one you want to switch with.  I'm not sure if this is how the actual game works.  (Hopefully not.  It would be much easier to play if you can switch with any adjacent piece.)

Still, it'll give you a basic idea of how the game will play.  I'm excited.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 02:27:37 AM »
Latest Famitsu scores are in--Meteos scored an impressive 38/40 (9, 9, 10, 10).

For those of you comparing, Lumines only scored 30/40 (7, 8, 7, 8).

Can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 02:30:30 AM »
As I had guessed from the start, Meteos > Lumines... ^_^

I'm not a huge puzzle fan, so I was sitting on the fence about this title...BUT NOT ANYMORE!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 03:37:21 AM »
I just watched the video....wow......        I have no clue what the hell is going on.

It just seems like a bunch of random movements and block coordinating. Ugh, anyways, it must be good if Famistu gave it that high of a score. It's higher than what the gave RE4, if I remember correctly; that's saying alot. A puzzle game killer app; wow, I never thought I'd see the day. I still play tetris on my calculator, so maybe it wasn't that unexpected (at least to me).
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 07:49:46 AM »
I'm definitely interested in getting this now, for myself and my family.  It's looking quite awesome.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 11:17:49 AM »
I understood the video up until a giant hammer appeared.  I was really confused then, and had lost all grasp on the game.  I played the flash demo and it was most excellent, and I cannot wait for this game.  Is their any word on a US release date?
It may be simple, but it ain't easy.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2005, 01:37:58 PM »
where did u find the flash demo?

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2005, 06:13:48 PM »
kingvudu has a link to it just a few posts up.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 06:41:04 PM »
the links not working. I think probably because of high traffic or something. is there any other link to the game?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 09:14:37 AM »
The link's been down for quite some time.  I haven't had any luck locating a mirror.  If anyone knows of one, please let us know.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2005, 10:08:13 AM »
The-magicbox reported that Bandai announced they are planning to publish the DS music puzzle game Meteos in US sometimes in April.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2005, 10:42:51 AM »
As soon as April?  Wow that's great!

But what's this music puzzle game stuff?  

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2005, 11:10:08 AM »
Lord_die_seis - you have made my day.

Robotor - I think they might have been confusing it partially with Lumines.  In that game, music (in addition to a high score) is your incentive to play better.  The better you do, the better the richer the music sounds.  In Meteos, your incentive to play better is to save the earth.  (Another example, in Super Puzzle Fighter, your incentive was to kick the other guy's ass.)

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 01:26:37 PM »
This game deserves more Hype. For Some reason Lummies is where its at on the PSP, this game deserves the hype to

The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline Robotor

• The Robot Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2005, 10:16:30 AM »
The date of release floating around is April 10th.  Of course thats floating around on GameFaqs, hidden within the trolling.  That date seems way too soon to me, how fast do DS cards manufacture?  I also heard that Nintendo themselves could be publishing the game.  At any rate it is coming to the US, as it was included in a survey I took for Nintendo.  Under the question of what games are you planning on buying Meteos was listed

I can't wait.  The sooner this game comes out the better.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2005, 01:17:04 AM »
Buy it.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers