Author Topic: Official DSi Discussion (was: New DS model Details :rumor)  (Read 49525 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: New DS model Details :rumor
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 03:37:46 PM »
Ya know, the SD card stuff could be for that reason....maybe...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »
I would really like to see this model have some upgraded version of Pictochat built into it that lets you actually talk to people over Wi-Fi instead of just 50 ft away... And they should also have some sort of Mario Paint type program built in as well, and with that you could edit the pictures you make with your camera and then put them onto an SD card and then move them to a computer where you could print them or whatever. It would also be great to let you design characters in the games you play. Kinda like the way Miis work, but much better because you have more options and control. That's what I would really love to see.
is your sanity...

Offline Snipper64

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
"MCV (The Market for Computer and Video Games) has now confirmed that the new DS model will be announced at the conference. MCV’s sources told them that Satoru Iwata (President of Nintendo) will make the announcement at 5 am UK time (which is midnight tonight, so maybe the conference is slightly earlier than Kotaku reported). MCV says the new model will have a MP3 player and a camera, and mention that the launch date and price are unknown, though “it will be a surprise to see its arrival delayed until after Christmas”. They called it the “multimedia model” in reference to it and I thought that the DS Media or DS Multimedia is a good name, so maybe that will be its name. We’ll find out in around 12 hours when the conference begins!"
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

VOTE FOR CHOANIKI! you know you want too...

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 04:49:08 PM »
It is a pretty sweet avatar though.

Yes it is, it is the saphire from orcarena of time, I also have the other 2 gems I could use, you can find them animated on photo bucket.
I am matter...I am antimatter...I can see your past...I can see your future...I consume time...and I will consume you!

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 01:15:33 AM »
Ok we got details:

Update 1: The GBA slot is gone (nooo!), while the size has been reduced by 12% or 2.6 millimeters.

Update 2: And we have a 3 Megapixel camera, music playback, and screens that are expanded to 3.25 inches!

Update 3: There's an SD slot also, built-in memory, an on-board browser, and game downloads that use Wii Points! The DSi will come with 1,000 free Wii Points.

Update 4: Correction: make that two cameras!

Update 5: A new download service to accompany WiiWare: DSWare is confirmed.

The Nintendo DSi

clicky

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 01:20:18 AM »
I can do without the GBA slot. I did play some GBA games on my DS back in the first year or two, but I really don't anymore. Plus I still got my Gameboy SP.

But its pretty obvious why Nintendo is dropping this, if you think about it... they want to make consumers BUY or REBUY the GB, GBC, and GBA games from the DSware service. So get ready to buy all your old favorites all over again.
is your sanity...

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 01:24:21 AM »
Now the ultimate question Can I play my Wii Virtual Console and some wiiware games on this thing?

If so I'll sell my DS Lite get a GBA and save some money to buy this which will play DS games and I'll be set. No word if better graphics, it seems odd to not do anything hardware wise besides these new stuff.

I mean the newest DS games do look amazing, but the graphics are caped.

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 04:32:15 AM »
Now the ultimate question Can I play my Wii Virtual Console and some wiiware games on this thing?

If so I'll sell my DS Lite get a GBA and save some money to buy this which will play DS games and I'll be set. No word if better graphics, it seems odd to not do anything hardware wise besides these new stuff.

I mean the newest DS games do look amazing, but the graphics are caped.

They can't change the graphics because they're not releasing new games just for this thing; it's just an upgrade of the original. I agree tho, the graphics looked rough compared to the PSP at launch, and that was four years ago...

Offline Snipper64

• View Profile
    • Snipper64
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 06:32:08 AM »
Ok, it's been anounce by nintendo yestoryday, here is the summery, but click on the link for many pics of it and the confrence.

http://wiinintendo.net/2008/10/02/is-it-is-it-yes-it-is-a-new-ds/#more-7938

"The rumors finally come to an end tonight as Nintendo wraps up their Japanese press conference. Enough jibber jabber let’s get into the details.

The size has been reduced 12% and 2.6 millimeters.

There is an SD card slot so you could take your images from the photo channel and put it on your DSi

The DSi has a larger screen, 3.25 inches. There’s a camera, and an audio-playing abilities. The camera is 3 megapixels. (Wow that’s more than my phone)

You can edit the picture using the touch screens. And no that is not a typo. There will be two touch screens! When you play back audio you could edit the speed.

Wii points has a new name “Nintendo Points” why is this you might ask? Because now you could download games and possibly apps for your DSi via Nintendo DS Shop. The DSi has a built in web browser also. Hopefully it will work great with blogging!

The DSi will come with 1,000 Nintendo Points when you buy it. This goes until March 2010 for Japan. No word on US yet.

The DSi will release in Japan for 18,900 yen (About 180 US) on November 1st in Japan.  It will come in white and black."

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 07:21:08 AM »
hm. well, i was invisioning one purchase, say star tropics, and being able to play it on the wii or the ds... but the ability to buy stuff on the ds alone is great news.

i don't know why we aren't getting this before christmas, maybe as a last push for ds lites? but then why announce it before christmas?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »
300,000 pixels (what we are reporting at NWR) is NOT 3 megapixels.

640x480 = lame!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Official DSi Discussion (was: New DS model Details :rumor)
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »
Two touch screens?!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »
I will buy this IF I can play my Virtual Console games on the DSi without repurchasing them.

If Nintendo does that they have my money.  Even if it is just Genesis, SNES, TG16, Neo Geo, and whatnot. 

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »
wow that has some interesting features...
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »
20 Questions for DSi I agree with 100%.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 01:54:44 PM »
Two touch screens?!

If that's true, I'm guessing the top touch screen is only used for the built-in software, as well as newer DSware games. Nintendo might release new DS games that would make use of that, but they wouldn't be able to work in Phats and Lites...
is your sanity...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 02:59:22 PM »
Two touch screens?!

If that's true, I'm guessing the top touch screen is only used for the built-in software, as well as newer DSware games. Nintendo might release new DS games that would make use of that, but they wouldn't be able to work in Phats and Lites...

I could of swore i read somewhere that its confirmed that DSi's will only have ONE touch screen.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »
GoNintendo stated that it is only 1 touchscreen. 

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 03:44:45 PM »
i like how you can lower/take out the instruments/vocals on the music. pretty neat, but completely random function. 
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 03:56:19 PM »
300,000 pixels (what we are reporting at NWR) is NOT 3 megapixels.

640x480 = lame!
but the external camera lens seems bigger (and thus probably has a better sensor)... I have no doubt, however, that the internal one is indeed 0.3MP...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2008, 03:57:10 PM »
i like how you can lower/take out the instruments/vocals on the music. pretty neat, but completely random function. 

Not random, theres a few things out there that do this with music so begginer musicians can learn to play a certain part of song by ear. Its a wonderful addition to the DS i'd say.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2008, 04:35:48 PM »
Interesting thing to mention. A little investigative reporting.

Built-in Opera Nintendo DSi web browser that will run faster than the previous web browser, "and so will the WI-Fi connections," adds Reggie.

Source

Now...

The Memory Expansion Pak, much like the Rumble Pak for the Nintendo DS is a DS Option Pak. When inserted into a DS's GBA slot, the Memory Pak adds 8MB of RAM to the DS.[citation needed]

Two versions of the Memory Expansion Pack are available. One is compatible with both the DS and DS Lite, although the cartridge's size causes it to stick out of the latter. A smaller version is available which fits flush with the body of the DS Lite, but it cannot be used in the original DS. Two different Browser packages are available, one containing the large Expansion Pak, and one containing the Lite-only Expansion Pak. Availability varies by region - in Japan and Europe, both were available at launch, while in North America and other regions, the version containing the larger Expansion Pak is only available by mail order.

It has slight similarities to the Nintendo 64 Expansion Pak. The Nintendo DS Browser is the only official Nintendo DS software that requires this hardware, but it has been suggested that the expansion could be used for other software,[9] including optional graphical updates that would allow a better experience if the card is inserted, in addition to other games that could require the expansion. However, it has been utilised in a number of pieces of homebrew software such as DSLinux, albeit unofficially. It has also been cloned as part of the EZ Flash 3-in-1 SLOT-2 device.

Source 2

Now we know DS has faster online abilities, and its assumed to be a better program HOWEVER is it safe to assume that it will also have the extra RAM built into the hardware to insure the program works best. the program did require RAM before so this could mean the DSi will have MORE RAM than DS Lite/DS built in and ready to use.

A little more RAM can help things in games and give a little extra life to the graphics card of the DS.
Or am I over thinking things.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2008, 05:41:15 PM »
I'm confused. The "well into 2009" comment is cryptic and ultimately, useless. What the hell does that mean anyway? Most news sites have pegged it as late 2009, but Nintendo's description is completely subjective. I would argue that as early as May can be considered "well into 2009."

I don't know why Nintendo is waiting so long to launch this thing worldwide. For the record, I consider anything after January, two months after Japan gets DSi, too long to wait. What the hell is the delay? They've convinced tons of people, myself included, to hold out on getting DS because something much better is on the horizon. Oh please, don't take my money! Drop the price of DS Lite and launch DSi as soon as possible everywhere. That way, there's incentive to buy either. I, personally, don't think I can pass up the possibility of new games exclusive to the DSi. This has Mario Artist written all over it. If the camera(s) can record video, this is the ultimate handheld gaming device. And on top of that, this revision encourages more Wii/DS interaction. Nintendo reps can run their mouths about this being for the family and whatnot, but there is too much potential for this thing on its own and as a new toy for the Wii.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »
words..

I would assume so seeing as the Music and Photo options will be built in to the UI and of course be taking up system memory

More words

I agree with you but i think they're holding off on bringing it here to rape consumers for money. Notice i say consumers in general as not Us, the 'fanboys'

Sure we the gamers will know to hold off on buying a DSL because of whats on the horizon but soccer moms and grandparents every where looking for a holiday gift will still buy DSLs and those same people might buy their (spoiled) kids a DSi down the road whenever its released here.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »
I'm confused. The "well into 2009" comment is cryptic and ultimately, useless. What the hell does that mean anyway? Most news sites have pegged it as late 2009, but Nintendo's description is completely subjective. I would argue that as early as May can be considered "well into 2009."

They're saying "well into 2009" because they don't want to hurt holiday sales.  I fully expect to see it released sometime towards the end of Q1/beginning of Q2.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!