Author Topic: Episode 354: Lakitu Cloud Storage  (Read 6610 times)

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Episode 354: Lakitu Cloud Storage
« on: October 14, 2013, 01:02:59 AM »

With everyone back in action, it's time for a classic episode full of hot games and in-depth Nintendo discussions.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/35701

***Only the MP3 link/feed works now. We hope to fix the AAC version by Mon. night!***

This week's show brings Jonny back to the hosting chair, and it's notable for showcasing three different Wii U games in New Business, not to mention some spectacular email-derived conversations in the back half.

Gui cranks up New Business with his impressions of eShop oddity Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party. You know, that Wii U game played without a TV. Not surprisingly, it sounds like game best enjoyed among unsober friends. Jonny follows with an update on Nintendo's system transfer/restoration policy, plus very early thoughts on Wind Waker HD. Jon gets around to trying Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U, and his experiences with the Wii and 3DS versions provide a useful perspective. James is last up with the troublesome early hours of Level 5's gorgeous Ni No Kuni. Listen as Jonny frantically reassures him that the game gets better!

Listener Mail is back with a full slate this week, and your questions pay off in exactly the way we always hope for. One gamer wonders if he has bad taste, but his specific complaints about 3D Mario games lead us into a detailed break-down of what that series could do better. Another person asks just what we are looking for as a franchise evolves through multiple games, and we take that one through Zelda and many other examples in Nintendo's history. Finally, a multiplayer devotee asks what to anticipate from Nintendo in the online realm... and we manage to sound a little optimistic!

We'll probably mix it up next week, but your questions and ideas are always, always appreciated. Some listeners have started to offer ideas for the next Retroactive, and we're happy to take those as well. Thanks so much for listening, and please do let us know what you thought of the episode in our comments section below (and/or at NeoGAF)!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 354: Lakitu Cloud Storage
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:16:48 AM »
AAC link doesn't seem to be working...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:01:46 AM »
This popped up in my instacast as "Lakitu Coud Storage" and no file downloaded.

Offline Nbz

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:17:29 AM »

Same thing for me, also using Instacast

Offline chilenozo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:59:23 AM »
I would suggest to the Mario critic (listener mail) to take a more humble approach and think that it is his problem more than the majority. The games he mention have all high reviews (including lots of reviewers) and high sales, so, definitely a majority like the games and consider them, in many cases, masterpieces.

I'm kind of tired the people who questions popular and high-rated games only cause they didn't enjoy them. I would suggest them to move on and don't play them (and waste their money) ever again! To help the discussion he should have explained if there are platform franchises he always enjoy, or what are the high-rated popular games he always agrees are great so it becomes a little bit easier to agree with his points.

I agree with the comment that, from the games he mentions, Super Mario Land 3D may be a bit over-rated, but we shouldn't deny that it is probably the game that uses the 3D effect to the best on the 3DS, at least at the moment (before the new Zelda 3DS arrives, that looks uses the 3D effect even better for the game mechanics). And that should give it extra points, the 3D effect is not just for the woah factor but it is also part of the mechanics

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »

Same thing for me, also using Instacast

This is also happening on my end.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 01:24:34 PM »
They are backlogged transferring Wii U digital games to new systems because a lot of users bought the Wind Waker Bundle? Why didn't these guys that bought the new bundle just keep their old console and the new gamepad and sell the new console and the old gamepad? That's much quicker and easier. Just link the new gamepad to your old console done and sell the old gamepad with the new console.

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
Yo, it's not working. :(

Offline AV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »
So glad you got your stuff back jonny from Nintendo , let's see if 3ds stuff is recoverable .

That section with spin the bottle had me laughing hard.

I feel that Animal crossing with new leaf had really expanded the franchise with being mayor and all street pass and
Dream suit stuff

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 05:59:31 PM »
The AAC version and feed are now fixed; the correct version should be 56MB. If you use a podcast app to listen, try deleting the episode and re-downloading it. Thanks for your patience, and let us know if problems persist.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 12:50:51 PM »
Man oh man, how low can we set the bar for Nintendo going forward here?  In one episode, I hear the following from Jonny:

• It's ok that you can't transfer your account from one console to another without assistance from Nintendo's support because the current setup is better than what it was for Wii.
  • All Smash Bros U's online needs to do is let you play matches competently, and additional online game options are unimportant.

I know we can't always be doom and gloom about Nintendo having to be dragged kicking-and-screaming into the present day expectations, but I hope most people demand more than what Jonny's fine with accepting.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »
I did find it heart-warming to hear James have pretty much the exact same complaints I had with Ni No Kuni. And no, it doesn't get better. The entire game is "run around doing grind-y crap", broken up by frequent battles where you basically throw out the same monster and watch them "Attack" monsters to death because there's almost no point in using non-healing skills outside Mighty Mite's "Attack All" special ability.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:30:43 PM »
If you don't think any non-healing spells are useful, I don't think you got very far in the game. Oliver himself gradually becomes a MACHINE in the latter half.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »
If you don't think any non-healing spells are useful, I don't think you got very far in the game. Oliver himself gradually becomes a MACHINE in the latter half.

I know he does. I Platinum-ed the game on PS3, so trust me...I saw EVERYTHING there is to see in that game. The problem is that while Oliver is insanely powerful at the end of the game, there's no real point in using his overpowered spells when you can just sit there for 3 seconds and watch your familiar of choice just wail away at an enemy to death. I think I probably spent 3/4 of that game with some variation of Mighty Mite just obliterating enemies with regular sword swipes and rarely ever being hit.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »
Agree to disagree, then. I found Mitey to become far less effective later in the game (though he was usually my main, to quickly deal with lesser enemies).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 09:07:14 AM »
I don't have that clear memories of Banjo–Kazooie, but from what I can recall, you could finish each level of the game in the same sitting you started it (with the exception of a few Jigsaw Pieces in latter levels), never in need to go back to an older level.

DK 64 was a bit more extreme in that, with the concept of having multiple characters needing to be rescued over the course of three stages and some abilities not getting unlocked until you reached another area.

Offline happyastoria

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 11:37:30 PM »
I hated Ni No Kuni. James, do yourself a favor and don't listen to Jonny. I don't what game he played, but it only gets worse - as does Oliver's voice acting. Notice how he's the only American sounding one out of a cast of Europeans. His British accent slips in every now and then. The game is all looks and no substance. That wouldn't have been a problem if it weren't such a banal experience.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
Oliver's accent is supposed to be half-British; there is a story-based reason for that, which is left to the player to discover. Note that everyone in Motorville sounds American. Accents do mean something in this game.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!