Author Topic: Wrestling discussion  (Read 110251 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Wrestling discussion
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2010, 12:16:33 PM »
Yeah, I saw that on PW Torch a few hours ago. I don't think anybody is surprised by that. The guy has had those problems for years and this is not his first time being arrested for it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2010, 09:47:47 PM »
Saw that too this morning. I feel bad for him, I really want him to stop drinking tbh.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2010, 10:42:20 PM »
Kevin Nash has tried to help him before, even Shawn Michaels (who has been friends with him for years) has tried talking to him. It doesn't help that he hangs out with Sean Waltman, who is well known for his own addictions (he has problems with alcohol and marijuana).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »
I know all of that, but it still doesn't change what I want.

Remember when WCW made fun of this on the air? Jeez.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2010, 11:58:53 PM »
Hmm, the original article I saw said "disorderly conduct" and resisting arrest. I've never even heard of "disorderly intoxication" - that sounds like some bullshit charge made up by the author of that (8-day late) article to make it more interesting. I'm not saying he wasn't drunk - it was a bar after all.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
It's a real charge, and apparently quite common in Florida (where this happened): http://www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0856/Sec011.HTM

Basically it's a misdemeanor. This is the legal definition of it according to Florida state law:

No person in the state shall be intoxicated and endanger the safety of another person or property, and no person in the state shall be intoxicated or drink any alcoholic beverage in a public place or in or upon any public conveyance and cause a public disturbance.

That pretty much fits what Hall did, so it's the right charge.

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
THE ROCK IS BACK

He owned John Cena AND the PG era in one swoop of the mic!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »
It means nothing to those of us who don't, or didn't watch it if you don't provide links. What did he say? where are the youtube links?

I haven't watched anything wrestling since..... I think shortly after the WWF became the WWE, or slightly before The Rock left wrestling to pursue acting.
Which ever one happened last, and I wasn't a regular watcher since long before that.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2011, 02:21:01 PM »
I will try and find a unofficial video, but here is the video WWE has on their official YouTube page (it's 8:34 long, but the actual promo was about 20 minutes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh1LWu-H-lk

He did all of his classic catch phrases (including threatening to shove his boot up Michael Cole's candyass after Cole tried to interrupt and read a e-mail from the anonymous Raw General Manager). He mocked WWE Champion The Miz and his catchphrase "I'm the Miz, and I'm Awesome" (although Miz stretched out the Awesome part) by saying that anyone who has to go around saying how awesome they are actually suck. He also mocked John Cena (who has made friendly insult to Rock by saying stuff like he can handle a movie career and wrestling career at the same time); mocking how he keeps changing the color of his merchandise from orange to purple (comparing Cena to a bowl of fruity pebbles), saying Cena looks like something that came from Barney's anus, and mocking Cena's "You Can't See Me" catchphrase by asking Cena if he is playing peek-a-boo.

The Rock's last match in WWE was in March 2004 at WrestleMania XX, the company went from WWF to WWE in May 2002.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »
Cena is handling a movie and wrestling career at the same time?

He's been in what.... 2-3 movies? all WWE funded (None of which I've seen, although The Marine and 12 Rounds didn't look bad). That's not really a movie career. Then a small handful of TV show appearances where he mostly plays himself, that's not much to juggle. But he hasn't been around that long, so I can't really knock him for just getting started

But it's good to see The Rock is back, even if it's most likely to rally his base to get them to go fill the seats at his theater releases.
You have Fast 5 coming up and I think that's his 2nd or 3rd film for his "fans" since crap like the Tooth Fairy.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »
I stopped watching current wrestling because the product became stale and corporate.  Everybody is the same.  They look the same, they act the same, they wrestle the same style, their promos are all written by the same group of failed comedy writers.  Everything is so organized.  That's lame.  Wrestling needs to be a little loose and spontaneous.  We all know wrestling is fake but the emotion has always been real.  With the WWE it is too sterile.  The emotion is fake.

The Rock ain't a fake, so of course he runs circles around Cena.  No writer came up with the idea of The Rock to speak in the third person and cock his eyebrow and talk about what The Rock is cookin'.  That's all him.  He came up with it.  He came from the era where they didn't organize and write every little thing.  The Rock was able to come up with his own promos and work his own matches.  They provided some coaching and the obvious base storyline but the details were all him.  In fact when he debuted he bombed as Rocky Maivia where he had a personality that the WWF created for him.  He was corporate, sterile and fake so the fans rejected him.  Later they let him be himself and he morphed into The Rock and became a star.  And yet the WWE is so damn clueless they try to make new Rocks by following the Rocky Maivia mold.  Steve Austin is the same way.  They came up with The Ringmaster as his gimmick and it didn't take.  Then he came up with the Stone Cold persona and came up with all that Austin 3:36 stuff himself in the spur of the moment in an improvised promo and away we go.  The corporate control-freak route almost ruined the two biggest stars that saved the WWF from losing to WCW.  If they went the route they go now they would have been out of business by 1999.

I'll bet a big reason The Rock ran circles around Cena is that they let him do his own shtick.  I doubt he was reciting lines someone else wrote for him, he was being The Motherfuckin' Rock.  Meanwhile John Cena is trying to make a comeback with the lame lines some hack writer (let's face it if you're a good writer, you wouldn't work for the WWE) came up for him and he's in over his head.  John Cena ain't allowed to be John Cena.

And the funny thing is that since they let The Rock cut loose with his own material, they clearly have some understanding of his persona requiring him to be himself.  And yet they don't allow that for new wrestlers.  It's like they either don't trust the new guys, think of guys like The Rock as an exception and fail to realize that when wrestling was big that was the norm, or the common conspiracy theory is that the WWE doesn't want any one wrestler to be bigger than the WWE brand itself so they intentionally handcuff their younger talent.

And as long as this persists I will continue to not watch.  The Rock alone can't bring me back because he'll just be a lone rose in a bouquet of plastic flowers.  The core product has to change.  And it won't unless they experience real competition from someone with money who GETS wrestling (ie: not TNA).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
not like The Rock will stay anyhow..i imagine his stint will just be temporary
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »
I just put the full video on the YouTube thread because I didn't see this one. here it is.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2011, 09:44:07 PM »
It's just awesome to hear the crowd erupt as soon as you hear "If ya..." on the PA.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2011, 10:01:02 PM »
It was funny to hear the little kids booing though when he started making fun of Cena (mainly because most of them were either not born yet or were too young to watch the last time Rock was a full time wrestler).

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2011, 11:20:30 PM »
that guy knows how to get different physiques Hugh Jackson asked him what he should do to bulk up for the new Darrin Aronofsky Wolverine movie
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2011, 01:14:33 PM »
Current Miss USA Rima Fakih, who was guest host of Raw a few months ago and also appeared on the annual Tribute to the Troops special, has been confirmed to be the first contestant on the new Tough Enough. I guess she really is into wrestling afterall since she apparently wants to become a wrestler. I know WWE loves this and probably agreed to it because it will get them a ton of coverage in the press (since she is the current Miss USA).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2011, 09:42:08 PM »
I'm not a John Cena fan, and The Rock is my favorite wrestler of all time. Having said that, well-played Cena. Well-played. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look on YouTube for his freestyle about The Rock on Monday Night Raw, it was pretty great. Also, thank you to the WWE for not censoring any of it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
I hope last week and this week is a sign that WWE may occasionally let wrestlers go beyond the PG limit. Cena's rap was similar to the stuff he used to do on SmackDown, that is what made him popular among male fans (notice that he started being booed when he won the WWE Championship and dropped most aspects of his character). I thought it was pretty funny.

And the Undertaker/Triple H segment was great. You know those two are professionals, that entire segment did more without ANY talking (from the wrestlers or announcers) than anything else on the show. You had two future Hall of Famers return, Undertaker looking pissed at Triple H interrupting him, Triple H making the challenge for WrestleMania just by looking at the sign, Undertaker shaking his head and smirking as if to laugh at giving Triple H a shot at the streak (especially since he already beat Triple H at WrestleMania X-Seven). When the fans started to boo as he left, he turned around and did his throat slash to signify he accepted, and Triple H responded with the crotch chop. WWE did a fantastic job with the segment. I do wonder if they will bring up why they were gone so long (King Sheamus taking out Triple H last April, Wade Barrett and Kane taking out Undertaker last October).

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2011, 10:26:23 PM »
I'm not a John Cena fan, and The Rock is my favorite wrestler of all time. Having said that, well-played Cena. Well-played. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look on YouTube for his freestyle about The Rock on Monday Night Raw, it was pretty great. Also, thank you to the WWE for not censoring any of it.

Indeed. One of Cena's best promo in a long time. It seems WWE is slowly pushing the limit of the PG rating.
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »
So The Rock owned Cena's ass in his little video message on Raw. Yabba-dabba bitch...I love it. Kind of gay it was via satellite, but with Evan Bourne returning, Triple H's address to the Undertaker, and the Miz/Cena build-up, he would have stolen everyone else's thunder if he was there live. No way he'll be there next week with Austin making a live appearance.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2011, 08:25:29 PM »
Last night's Raw was pretty dissapointing overall. There were some good spots though. I think it was a dick move by WWE to tease the live audience by playing The Rock's music (they almost never do that for taped satellite promos). I like Triple H, but he has a pretty big ego. First, why should we believe he has the best chance to win against The Underaker? The last time they at WrestleMania was WrestleMania X-Seven, when Triple H was 10 years younger and hadn't gone through several knee surgeries.

I do not like The Miz still being WWE Champion. Every single match (except I think his match against Daniel Bryan) since winning the belt has involved cheating or outside interference, which hurts any credibility. He does not seem like a credible champion, and I don't see what WWE sees in him. Sure he is good on the mic, but his wrestling is mediocre and he does not come off as a main eventer. Remember when Jack Swagger was champion and how he pretty much dropped of the map afterwards? That is what I hope happens to him.

I think it was pretty rare, but cool, that WWE made such a big deal out of signing Mistico (now know as Sin Cara) to a contract. He may not be well known in the US, but he is pretty much the biggest wrestling star in Mexico and they treated it like a sports team would signing a star athlete.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »
I'm still watching the Raw episode at the moment but I did watch the Triple H segment and If I recall correctly back at WM 17 the Taker vs HHH match was a Falls count anywhere match and basically anything goes. So if this HHH and Taker match at the upcoming wrestlemania is a normal match then I think he will have more of a chance at it.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »
I guess part of it is that Undertaker really doesn't have too many years left in him (he already misses like half the year now) and I don't want him using his WrestleMania match against someone he has already faced.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2011, 09:24:27 PM »
Who else is out there that Taker hasn't faced that is on the roster that might present a challenge to Taker?
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.