Author Topic: Game Industry delayed to 2015  (Read 5143 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Game Industry delayed to 2015
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:38:26 AM »
SANTA MONICA (AP) - In a stunning announcement, the video game industry collectively announced Tuesday that the industry was delaying itself to 2015 in order to "add polish" to their titles.

"We feel that being in 2014 provides no competitive advantage and will allow us to provide the best possible experience to the consumer" said Microsoft Game Studios corporate VP Phil Spencer. "By not releasing anything this fall we are allowing gamers the chance to fully enjoy the games they didn't buy this year."

In confirming The Evil Within's delay to 2015, Bethesda Studio head Pete Hines declared they wanted to make sure the game had the "true Bethesda experience", a sentiment confirmed with the delay of Evolve announced on the Playstation Blog. "We need to make sure we have the right amount of soul-sucking microtransactions" said design lead Chris Ashton.

As of press time, Nintendo was still planning to release titles in 2014, but will have more details on their delays at a special digital event held to coincide with the E3 trade show on June 10.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Game Industry delayed to 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
I truly loathe this year in video games. Underwhelming releases, constant delays, and no new title announcements for this year. It's Fall 2012 all over again. *sigh*
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »
As long Bayo 2 comes out they can delay to infinity for all i care.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:50:10 AM »
Wait a minute, this isn't the Funhouse! What's going on here?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »
The entire industry has become the funhouse.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
This. So. Fucking. Hard.

In the next couple years we are going to burn it down so we can rebuild.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
Too much money involved at this point for a crash to start again. The biggest thing you can hope for is similar to how the movie and TV industry has both become about even in quality, that the engine wars between unity, unreal, and cryengine cause more indie games to be more than 2D romps on part with the sixith gen style games. 

As per delays its disapointing but there's still a ton of games coming out this year.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »
Too much money involved at this point for a crash to start again.

That doesn't mean anything when as we saw last gen, having just one game under-perform can kill an entire studio.  As development cost keep increasing, it's only going to make things worse.  Just look at how much of the industry died off last gen thanks to the huge rise in cost, now multiply those cost by 2-3 times which is what some are expecting cost to rise by this upcoming gen.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »
Ironically enough Cerny talked about with the PS4 trying to design in such a way that you wouldn't need to make a huge investment to make games from the tech side.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 04:35:35 PM »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 04:02:54 AM »
Xbone will be the first to burn and I will dance in the streets.

The AAA economics are completely hosed. Not only development costs have gone up, the marketing budget is completely out of control dwarfing development by 5x - 10x. Yet everybody focuses on Development costs alone and at this point they are squeezing blood out of stone. Development in AAA are slaughter houses of shattered dreams and human rights abuse.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 08:40:15 PM »
Do you honestly believe this? I mean I agree development costs and marketing budgets have become to big, but the burning of the old guard won't do anything too change that. For the most part what ever new players rather they be publishers or developers would hire old guys and we'd have the same problem with new names.

That or the game indursty would just become mobile games.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
But why would the "new players" even think about hiring "old guys" when the old guys are the ones who messed this entire thing up to begin with?

What we're seeing with indies is the exact thing that occurred with the introduction of NES and Master System - a flourishing of new game ideas with the simple concept of gameplay and solid play control as the foundation to build upon.

I say let the industry, as it is currently, crash and burn. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and Take Two deserve to fall apart after all of this nonsense they've been pushing for in our beloved games industry.

And no way would the industry become just mobile games. Mobile will stay just that...mobile. They can't pierce into the home console market. Not with the types of genres home console gaming can create with tight, twitch-based gameplay. Fight games, platformers, deep action RPGs - these all require one simple premise. A gamepad. A touch screen wouldn't do them justice.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »
Indies are gonna crash and burn too, we're already seeing that happen. It isn't just the AAA developers.

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 07:36:52 AM »
I think alot will change in the VG industry.  Dynamic pricing needs to happen to draw interest into some of the B+ games instead of pricing them at $60 out the gate when everybody knows they aren't as good as other games available in the genre.  I think this cycle may be the last cycle with physical media and the industry could move towards a steam based model which can provide a higher value at a lower cost. 

Everyone needs to look at their cost structure.  The big 3 charge too much in fees and third parties are layer on too much overhead.  But a game can cost whatever the developer wants.  And it seems too many times they spend too much.  Shenmue for the Dreamcast cost $47M to develop.  That was just stupid to put that much money into a game at that time.  Likewise, if you want to spend $100M today on a game you could.  But you need to do better market research and make sure you can recover the funds.  Likewise a well thought out kickstarter game can have a low production cost and be very successful. 

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_game_costs

One thing that confuses me greatly.  PC has had 1080p games it seems like forever. 
"In 2012, the ESA (Entertainment Software Association) of Canada gave the average development costs for various platforms as follows:

Console - $8,728,125
PC & Mac - $995,675"

How in the heck does making a console game cost 9 times as much as a PC game?  Is it all the fees related to console gaming?  Are PC games on average simpler?  I just don't understand how there would be such a discrepancy when the games should look very similar (some would say PC should look better) on a 1080p screen. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 08:12:49 AM »
I'd think a big part of that disparity is how many more small, indie-type projects there are on PC. You're seeing more and more of them make the jump to consoles, but there's still a ton more that done. Also, things that are PC-only don't pay any kind of license fees, don't need to get ESRB rated, etc.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 08:28:01 AM »
This gen has already proven to me that you don't need games to be a success. It's no longer about games. It's about hype and marketing.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
Marketing has always been key in the industry. Sony is better at marketing than Nintendo and that's how they've really built their empire. Microsoft bought their way into the big 3 with their infamous $500 M initial advertising budget.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »
Indies are gonna crash and burn too, we're already seeing that happen. It isn't just the AAA developers.

I agree. Indie developers have been growing in size from a team of one or two into dozens of people on the payroll. Also, there has been a massive glut of indie games thanks in part to kickstarter. This market to will be culled.