Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1546224 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5950 on: August 21, 2018, 10:01:12 AM »
No Country for Old Men 10/10 I especially like the coin flip scene.

Subtext: This is really ThePerm who somehow got switched with Mouse_Clicker. One time I was on Aol Instant Messenger chatting with Mouse Clicker and he said he disliked this movie and cited the coin flip scene. He said it was pointless and slowed the whole movie. I told him how the entire movie was just a setup for the coin flip scene. The scene was tense and was really the centerpiece of the movie. He went to Film School, I went to Art School... what do I Know?
The confrontation between Carla Jean and Anton Chigurh doesn’t carry the same weight without the gas station coin flip scene. The earlier scene implies a lot about Chigurh, notably that he has a (bizarre) set of principles instead of just murdering fools randomly. I don’t think the movie works without the scene.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: September 18, 2018, 09:57:21 PM »
Predator Film Rankngs

1 Predator
2  Predator 2
3 The Predator - This one is a nice direction. It was pretty action packed. It had likable characters.
4 Predators
5 AVP
6 AVP2

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:00:51 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: September 18, 2018, 11:45:38 PM »
Predator Film Rankngs

1 Predator
2  Predator 2
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: September 19, 2018, 04:13:49 AM »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: September 19, 2018, 10:03:07 AM »
The most manly of man movies ever made by man, carrying biggest manly man guns, full of men and one wo-men, man-o a man-o with a man who is no man stalking the most stoic men to prove they are no man's man, only men.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5955 on: September 19, 2018, 04:22:08 PM »
The manliest movie made is The Thing.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: September 19, 2018, 07:31:24 PM »
No, that would be Braveheart.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: September 20, 2018, 06:58:05 AM »
3 The Predator - This one is a nice direction. It was pretty action packed. It had likable characters.

All of the lead characters except for the scientist, child and sniper were all drawn over with maybe a sentence or two except for Nebraska. In fact nearly everything was blown through at high speed except to add some more details to the Predator race except why they brought the suit in the first place, which they never answered - and then when it got to the last act it started killing off cast members at high speed including one who blew his own head off, but it happened so quickly that the movie didn't even acknowledge it after it happened.

Mile 22 - The best thing about this movie was Iko Uwais of The Raid fame. He was really good in the acting roles and his stunt work is incredible. But whoever edited this almost made that completely pointless. After the one-take shots that we got in The Raid that lasted several minutes, how do you manage to edit and chop his scenes here to an almost unwatchable mess? Mark Wahlberg's character was pretty insufferable in this - not one person, including his superiors - tried to check him for his shitty attitude.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: September 20, 2018, 05:41:44 PM »

All of the lead characters except for the scientist, child and sniper were all drawn over with maybe a sentence or two except for Nebraska. In fact nearly everything was blown through at high speed except to add some more details to the Predator race except why they brought the suit in the first place, which they never answered - and then when it got to the last act it started killing off cast members at high speed including one who blew his own head off, but it happened so quickly that the movie didn't even acknowledge it after it happened.

Mile 22 - The best thing about this movie was Iko Uwais of The Raid fame. He was really good in the acting roles and his stunt work is incredible. But whoever edited this almost made that completely pointless. After the one-take shots that we got in The Raid that lasted several minutes, how do you manage to edit and chop his scenes here to an almost unwatchable mess? Mark Wahlberg's character was pretty insufferable in this - not one person, including his superiors - tried to check him for his shitty attitude.

I have to comment there was some really choppy editing in the The Predator. I'm not the only one who wasn't quite sure what happened with Stirling K Brown because that was some bad editing. Some deaths happened way to quick. I wonder if it had anything to do with the character cut out, or them trying to maintain an R rating. That being said I didn't find this movie to be egregious like Alien Covenant

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: September 25, 2018, 03:44:13 AM »
King of Comedy 9/10 This movie was excellent. I wish I'd seen it earlier. One of the more entertaining movies I've watched in a while.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:45:59 AM by ThePerm »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5960 on: October 01, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »
I saw White Boy Rick on Saturday.

Overall, the movie is good (not great, but good).  The individual scenes are all entertaining with some compelling moments mixed in.  Where the film lacks is cohesiveness.  The film just feels like a bunch of random events just kind of happening with little linking them together.  There is an overarching story, however, but the the plot just feels like some some scenes were missing and/or cut short.  This is a very light spoiler, but I think it explains what I'm talking about well: Rick hooks up with a girl he knew from school, but this is the first time she's introduced or Rick even talks about having been to school (you never see him in school).  Then, the girl pops up again later, and Rick mentions that he'd hooked up with her a few times, but you never see it or are made aware of their continued interactions.  There's another scene with Rick and his dad and they're doing something, and it's not clear what it is until you see the why.  Where they are and how did they know to go there are not covered, but the scene itself is good and fits into the story as a whole.  There are a lot of laughs along the way, but the movie's tone nosedives at the end.  So by the end of it, you're kinda wanting for some warm and fuzzies.

7.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: October 04, 2018, 12:01:50 AM »
Destination Wedding Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder are two bitter cynics who go to a Destination wedding. witty banter ensues. Very charming and dryly hilarious. Four stars.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: October 04, 2018, 09:59:59 PM »
Venom - 7/10
It's honestly not that bad. It isn't great, but some of the reviews are garbage. IGN's 4 is pretty stupid. Slow beginning (it's an origin story), CGI fight at the end is dumb, but the Venom scenes between those parts are great. Stay for the first post-credits scene, even though you probably already know what it is. Skip the second one - it's a scene from Into the Spider-Verse (unless you wanna see that), has nothing to do with Venom.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:02:53 PM by BranDonk Kong »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: October 06, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »
I'd give Venom a 6/10

It's no where near as bad as the critics rate the movie, but it's not exactly a good movie either.
It's got a few decent parts that may get a laugh, and a few Venom scenes that are pretty cool, but it never crosses into "so bad it's good" or "this is pretty awesome" territory either.

I'm not opposed to a sequel, but I'm also not recommending anyone run out to go see this in the theater either. Oh, I also went and watched it in DBox, the motion seat theater.
DBox was pretty cool for what it was, but it was also kinda distracting during certain parts of the movie. I think it would be better suited for a Fast & Furious movie, or something like Hardcore Henry where everyone is in an interactive looking experience.
I would hate to be trying to drink a soda and holding a popcorn during an action filled movie though. I can only imagine how messy that could potentially get.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: October 06, 2018, 01:52:33 PM »
I just saw it again and honestly think I liked it better the second time.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5965 on: October 07, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »
I streamed The Belko Experiment last night.

I dunno why I expecting this to be funnier than it was.  There were jokes, sure, but I was hoping it'd be more of a dark comedy.  It was very violent, but only once or twice was it off putting.  The ending was good, though I was losing track of how many people were still alive by the end.  Speaking of the ending, it sets itself up for a sequel, which I would be interested in to see the larger story.  I think I would've liked it more if the main character was more likeable, and if the antagonist didn't turn so immediately.  Still, I found the movie largely entertaining, with some of the deaths being pretty entertaining.

6/10

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: October 07, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »
I keep forgetting I kinda wanna see that.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: October 07, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
Little Evil - 4/10
This movie had a couple funny parts, but overall it was pretty awful. For a horror comedy there is a definite lack of horror.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5968 on: October 07, 2018, 07:50:16 PM »
I keep forgetting I kinda wanna see that.

If you have HBO, you can stream it.  Not sure if it's on Netflix.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: October 09, 2018, 11:53:14 PM »
Checked out 2 DC animated "movies" tonight...and man, what a difference between. I say "movies" because they're actually both web-based 5 minute shorts compiled together into 70 - 90 minute films:

Vixen - I'm not a huge fan of this character, but the BluRay was $10 & this series is actually in continuity with the Arrowverse, so I thought I'd check it out. Eh...it feels like 2 separate animated "seasons" squashed together, and so doesn't really work as a "movie" since the story noticeably climaxes twice: once when Mari comes to terms with her destiny & power and takes on the identity of Vixen, and then again following Mari's battle with the bearer of the Fire Totem (which also plays directly into the events of Legends of Tomorrow Season 3). The story itself just basically explains how Oliver knew Vixen so he could call her in during Season 4 of Arrow.

The animation is passable at best, about on par with a typical episode of JLU. It sounds like the actors for Barry, Oliver, Felicity, Ray Palmer, Cisco, and Vixen reprise their roles from the various Arrowverse shows...for better or worse. Barry & Oliver come off the worst, as Grant Gustin sounds very awkward and Stephen Armell is missing his trademark gruffness. Like the movie overall, though, it's...fine. It's easy to see, though, why this attempted pilot for a Vixen Arrowverse show didn't get picked up for a real series. It's just...fine.

Constantine: City of Demons - Now THIS?! This is more like it. This series only got one season, so taking those micro-episodes & adding another 20 minutes of story just fleshed out what was already there and created a more coherent story. This movie is dark, violent, and gory. It earns its hard R rating without having to work for it like a lot of DC movies do. It also seems to be much better animated than Vixen was, despite probably having a very similar budget.

As for the story, it's typical Constantine: a girl's soul gets stolen by a demon, and Constantine has to find a way to save her while fending off other demons, large & small. The film does a nice job of showing that he's obviously very skilled at what he does, but he's nonetheless always in over his head and barely scraping by. It wraps up in a satisfying and bittersweet way, typical of a Constantine story.

Kind of my only gripe with this film is that I've been wanting a continuation of the Matt Ryan Constantine TV series, and despite him reprising the role here this is definitely NOT in continuity with that show. It's nice to see the mystical side of the DC universe for a change.  If you liked that TV series, check it out. Just be warned: it's not for the squeamish.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5970 on: October 10, 2018, 11:00:11 PM »
Watched Venom.  Not terrible.  I agree with a lot of the earlier reviews - def felt like a late 90s, early 00s superhero flick.

If you can watch and enjoy the original Blade, you'd enjoy Venom.  Overall, I did.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: October 11, 2018, 10:49:03 AM »
Hardcore Henry

It relies entirely on the first person point of view gimmick which is both the movie’s greatest strength and weakness. “Hardcore Henry” pulls off some really cool stunts and set pieces, but it’s also hard to follow at times. Additionally, without characters or a plot to care about, it’s difficult to sit through an hour and a half of this. Director, Ilya Naishuller, previously directed the video (also in first person) for “Bad Motherfucker” by Biting Elbows for which he is also singer and guitarist. If you haven’t seen it before, do so; it’s awesome. That video works because it’s like four minutes long. There’s enough shown to extrapolate what is happening. I’m not bothered that I don’t know anything about the characters or the world. It’s like watching a single set piece which is fine for what it is.

Ultimately, “Hardcore Henry” is pretty hollow. The dialog is weak, and it never commits to world building. The villain, for example, has psychokinetic powers that are never explained. I’m not even really sure how Henry beats him. Sure, some of the action is cool, but again, I’ve seen it before, better, and from the same director in a package that works better for what it is.

Compare “Hardcore henry” to say, “John Wick” which has similarly weak character development and plot but has much better world building and dialog. Yes, “John Wick” relied on action, but it was also like the best action movie in like 15 years. The action is great, but the movie is engaging because it gets other things right despite its flaws. “Hardcore Henry” desperately wants people to think it revolutionizes the genre but never gets there. The movie suffers because the action isn’t good enough to cover its flaws. It does have Sharlto Copley who is almost always a delight, but he can’t save the entire movie.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:13:13 PM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: October 11, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »
"Hardcore Henry" in DBox with Oculous view, might become an AMAZING movie experience.

A major movie studio with an amusement park should set up an attraction like that.
Comcast/Universal seems like the most obvious candidate,  but I'm taking about Disney as WB too.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: October 11, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
Trying to find something deeper with Hardcore Henry is a fools errand. It's not meant to be a John Wick. It's pure action sholock.

Hardcore Henry has an excuse plot with just enough connective material to keep moving forward and was made because they could. If you directed 4 minutes of something then got offered millions to make a movie length of that wouldn't you?

You're not meant to watch it for themes, character, setting or plot. You're there purely for the unique and novel action. The editing is quite good when it comes to making transitions from one scene or sequence to another which is rather unappreciated. The amount of skill required is not trivial and the laser focus on the action is the right choice. If they added more fluff to it would it make it any better, would it have a point?

The inherent limitations of the camera angle and incompatibility with a significant fraction of the audience meant it was never going to revolutionize anything or have wide mainstream acclaim. I seriously doubt Ilya had such delusions.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: October 11, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »
You're not meant to watch it for themes, character, setting or plot. You're there purely for the unique and novel action.
No, I got it. And I’m saying the action wasn’t good enough to carry a ~90 minute movie. It’s great for a four minute music video.
If they added more fluff to it would it make it any better, would it have a point?
Yeah, it would have made “Hardcore Henry” a lot more interesting. I don’t need it to be The Shawshank Redemption or The Great Gastby. I brought up “John Wick” because a little bit of world building and some well written dialog goes a long way (Michael Nyqvist chewing up whole scenes doesn’t hurt either, RIP). The other things are still important even if action is the main point.