Author Topic: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U)  (Read 359701 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) Out now!
« Reply #1025 on: December 08, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
Yep, the Game Awards lives up to its reputation of celebrating mediocrity.

Or, your personal opinion simply doesn't represent that of the majority?

(Not something to be concerned about, given how untrustworthy popular opinion actually is.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: December 08, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »
Lmao. I get it, you don't like it...but it is the highest rated game of the year. It deserves to win.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: December 09, 2017, 12:12:22 AM »
Also, Zelda won Game of the Year. And best direction, and best action/adventure. Mario Odyssey won best family game...every game listed was on Switch.

If that was true then they should have given you a lifetime achievement award by now. MEGA-ZING!!!! Hoisted with his own petard!

I have no problem with the win. Breath of the Wild is probably the best game I've played in 5 years or more. At the same time, I recognize not everyone will feel the same. I strongly disagree about the quality of Mario Galaxy 1 but a lot of people consider it the Wii's best game. So I get it. However, reading your experiences of playing the game struck me as you playing it wrong which I've felt lead to an early souring of your opinion. I've thought about getting more into detail about that but my real life is too hectic right now and Internet access very limited to take the time to post about it. And even if I did, I doubt it would matter much since your opinion usually seems to differ from most beyond just games but also movies and TV going by threads on those subjects. It gives you the appearance of being a contrarian by differing from the crowd so often but I guess it's just you and what you like. As such, I don't think what anyone says on a subject is really going to change your mind much on a matter so the eternal impasse of opinions will continue and zingers will just have to be the way to cope. Like Ben-Hur: "It goes on, Judah! It goes on..."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:14:08 AM by Link Link »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: December 09, 2017, 12:47:05 AM »
I liked seeing Aonuma and Fujibayashi's reactions to winning the award.  For Aonuma he finally made the Zelda that got to surpassed Ocarina of Time in praise and reaction to the general audience.  He no longer has to feel like he's in Miyamoto's shadow anymore since he's been publicly vindicated.

Fujibayashi can finally be happy since everyone knows who he is now.  Dude directed the Oracle games, Minish Cap and Skyward Sword but hardly anyone even knows his name or even credits him for these games.  Must be nice to reveal his face to the world this way.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: December 09, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »
Also, Zelda won Game of the Year. And best direction, and best action/adventure. Mario Odyssey won best family game...every game listed was on Switch.

If that was true then they should have given you a lifetime achievement award by now. MEGA-ZING!!!! Hoisted with his own petard!

Dude, even I'm not pathetic or insecure enough to laugh at my own jokes/insults. It seems Keighly erred when he gave me that award. Don't worry, though, Link Link. There's always next year.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: December 10, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »
Breath of the Wild is good yo but I honestly thought Horizon Zero Dawn was going to win.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: December 11, 2017, 05:07:29 AM »
Well, if we're all done tearing broodwars a new one for is awful taste...

I've completed the Champions Ballad, and in doing so, I've chosen to add the final three installments to my massive, 12,112 word Breath of the Wild review. Some of it covers some topics we have discussed in this thread but hopefully sheds some light on my thoughts regarding dungeon design in the game, as well as a bit of a sentimental blurb at the end.

I've really enjoyed Breath of the Wild. I think that people who argue there is nothing to do in Hyrule need to take a look at their playtimes again, because I believe one could only say that after having hit up a sizable amount of content and built up an equally sizable playtime. This game is a gargantuan task to break down into its smaller parts, because there are so many of them, and so many new ideas that excite me to no end, especially in regards to where the series will head next. I will be putting Hyrule away for a long time, at least until I feel the desire to give Master Mode a proper try, but that will be after a series of other games to sort of cleanse the palette.

Anyway, enjoy.
www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=51628
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: December 11, 2017, 07:39:24 AM »
I've really enjoyed Breath of the Wild. I think that people who argue there is nothing to do in Hyrule need to take a look at their playtimes again, because I believe one could only say that after having hit up a sizable amount of content and built up an equally sizable playtime.

Ah yes...the "it gets good after X Hours" defense. Sorry, but I dumped over 50 hours into this game already & finished what this game claims to be its main story. That's more than enough time to make a value judgement on anything, especially in a year with so many other (IMO better) games to play this year.

IMO, BOTW is just an incredibly average game that's managed to generate a cult-like legion of followers on par with Final Fantasy 7, one that attacks anyone who dares to not adore the game. It has its merits, bit it also has sizeable problems, problems it doesn't sound like the Champions Ballad addresses as much as I would like.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:04:23 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: December 11, 2017, 09:01:43 AM »
Ah yes...the "it gets good after X Hours" defense. Sorry, but I dumped over 50 hours into this game already & finished what this game claims to be its main story.
I think it’s a fair defense to a point. For example, I typically need 10 to 15 hours to get invested in JRPGs which is usually why I end up putting them aside. That’s a lot of time for someone who has inconsistent gaming habits. If a game pulls me in right away, I’m constantly thinking about returning to it.

That said, I’d say you definitely put enough time into Breath of the Wild to make a fair assessment on it. There’s nothing wrong with disliking something other people like. This kind of debate is kind of a trap anyway. If you don’t play it enough, you get called out for not playing enough. If you finish it, you get called out for continuing to play something you didn’t like. I know because this literally happened when I said I didn’t like Skyward Sword. Do you, broodwars.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: December 11, 2017, 09:06:58 PM »
I'm really trying to work with you here, Broodwars, because I sympathize with the notion that everyone has a favorite Zelda title and that it drastically impacts the way they view the other games in the series. That being said, boy, you are making it hard. You insist on making inflammatory comments that misinterpret what others say because you feel slighted by other people enjoying the game.

My comment was not one pushing you to play the game further, or insisting that it "gets good after x hours," you've already convinced me that you have no intention of giving this game a second chance. I mentioned playtime because I firmly believe that, unless you utilized a guide, there is absolutely no way in hell you have witnessed all of the side-quest and shrine content in fifty hours. With how you stated that you didn't even reach a sizable side-quest that is relatively easy to find and requires a minute level of curiosity and willingness to explore, you only prove my point further. There is a great deal of content to be experienced in this game, and the Champion's Ballad adds approximately six to eight hours of pretty straightforward story-related content. So the notion that Hyrule is empty and devoid of personality does not strike me as genuine in any way, and I meant to say that, if a player claims this after having played at least seventy-five to one-hundred hours of gameplay, then they are sort of proving their statement irrelevant.

Let me put it like this: in an average, pre-Breath of the Wild  3D Zelda title, the entire game was around fifty hours of playtime in a first run, and a second replay might bump that down to around thirty to thirty-five hours. If this is the case because of their linear format and emphasis on narrative rather than gameplay, and that is what you prefer over an open-ended, minimal-guidance experience that emphasizes exploration, well, kudos to you. But stating this game has no emotion sounds more like you sped through the game because you favor straightforward, structured narratives more than anything else. There are numerous plot lines within side-quests that have layers of depth, such as two motherless children who need someone to play with, as their father is too busy being blackmailed by a rival cult into stealing a precious heirloom, because he was once a member of that cult but fled out of love for a Sheikah woman was killed by said cult in retaliation. And hey, if you think that the design that focuses on open-ended manipulation of elements and environmental integration is stupid, kudos to you. But just because its "not your Zelda" doesn't mean it lacks valid appeal and worth as a game. Some people like to stop and appreciate the design of an overworld, or an environmental puzzle, or the dialogue that is being spoken by the characters, rather than get it over with. I suggest you consider other genres if this type of gameplay doesn't appeal to you- because that's fine, everyone has their own tastes. I have absolutely no love for character action games, but I can at least appreciate the depth and complexity they offer and be impressed by high-level play.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: December 18, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »
I've really enjoyed Breath of the Wild. I think that people who argue there is nothing to do in Hyrule need to take a look at their playtimes again, because I believe one could only say that after having hit up a sizable amount of content and built up an equally sizable playtime.

Ah yes...the "it gets good after X Hours" defense. Sorry, but I dumped over 50 hours into this game already & finished what this game claims to be its main story. That's more than enough time to make a value judgement on anything, especially in a year with so many other (IMO better) games to play this year.

IMO, BOTW is just an incredibly average game that's managed to generate a cult-like legion of followers on par with Final Fantasy 7, one that attacks anyone who dares to not adore the game. It has its merits, bit it also has sizeable problems, problems it doesn't sound like the Champions Ballad addresses as much as I would like.

If what you look for in a Zelda is a more linear experience with varied dungeons that provide you with new tools that open sections of the game up more as you go along, and some semblance of a story, then I absolutely understand why this game is not for you. 

That said, it appears writ large that most people (myself included) were ready for a departure from the structure Zelda games have had for many iterations since Ocarina of Time.  I could understand taking issue with something like Destiny 2 or PUBG winning a GotY award, but IMO this is a well-made expansive world with so much to do and so much free reign to alter and experiment with the world around you, and that in itself makes it an achievement in spite of its issues to so many people that I think it's worth of the win...

...even if I personally would have given it to Super Mario Odyssey.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 27, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »
first of all, I just want to say **** this game.

my daughter started playing it xmas night... I've been playing it ever since.
Oh what's that... ok I'm gonna turn it off right after this... oh wait, what is that... ok, I'll turn it off right after I get over here... oh what is that!? rinse wash repeat for probably the rest of my free time EVER.

ok, now that I got that out of the way....
I'm supposed to trade all these orbs for heart containers right?
I passed up the first opportunity I had, because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to give them up, but I have a 2nd opportunity now, and I really need more than 3 hearts.... I'm dying too quickly some times.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 27, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »
Welcome to the wonder of Breath of the Wild. You can trade them in for hearts or one other thing. You can also cook special meals for a temporary boost. ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 27, 2017, 09:23:45 PM »
I feel soo bad shooting the goats. LOL

bwaaaAAAA
:arrow to the eye
BWAaaaa

It makes me laugh, but is also so sad to hear it's call fade right after I shoot it.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 28, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
Yeah I used my first few orbs to get 2 extra hearts, the next batch I exchanged to get a bit more stamina. That really helps to climb longer and such stuff.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: December 29, 2017, 08:04:32 AM »
Yeah - I want to chime in on the stamina vs heart matter too.

With three hearts, you can absorb any one hit from an enemy without dying as long as your life is full. Eat a few apples and you are back to full health and able to sustain another hit without fear. Until you get better armor and/or 6+ hearts, learning to avoid combat and not get hit almost better than trying to rush into combat.

Stamina boosts were much more important for the way I liked to play, as it helped me run/swim/glide/climb further than before. Those skills were invaluable for exploring Hyrule (and not surprisingly were also invaluable for getting past enemies I wanted to avoid fighting).

Obviously your play style will affect choices here, but don't underestimate the option to expand your stamina bar. :)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 29, 2017, 04:29:36 PM »
There are several enemies that can one hit kill you even with 6 hearts. Your armor makes a big difference.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 30, 2017, 11:08:45 AM »
This game is digital crack... and the secret to time travel....
It's also my daughters favorite game to play out of everything we played so far.

She just wants to run around and explore, fight, and make me read conversations with villagers out loud to her.

as far as play style, I like to fight everyone so I can steal their weapons, open their chest, and roam freely. But I can see how important it may be to be able to just swim an extra 7 feet, climb an extra 5 feet, or run for an extra 3 seconds. So far I've been trying to keep it balanced w/ 2 hearts and 1 Stamina, but I think the next 2 upgrades might be stamina, as that will help me get more Orbs quicker.

**Game Talk**
I recently just ran though some mountain pass at the end of a long bridge between 2 mountains with a river that runs through it. right after a giant fairy and my 1st Ganon lover. right after the bridge, there was a Centaur(?) with ice powers, bringing it down from above... WTF, and just before the snowy area on the other side, there was a giant guy sleeping next to a pond.... i had to avoid both after being killed just trying to get away several times. I realize that no amount of hearts had me prepared for that... more stamina to climb that mountain faster was what I needed. I eventually made it over the snowy mountain to the other side (Hateno Village?)

I've also been trying to tame a buck for that bird man who keeps playing music. Not enough stamina for that either. I managed to do it to a doe, but it turned into meat.

But I do have a question. Is there anyway to repair weapons? I had a few weapons I liked, but regardless of the weapon, they all eventually seem to break.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 30, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »
But I do have a question. Is there anyway to repair weapons? I had a few weapons I liked, but regardless of the weapon, they all eventually seem to break.
No.

But there will be several special weapons that you can always recreate by crafting from lesser, easily found (literally lying on the ground) weapons and materials.

If a weapon is about to break -- throw it at the enemy -- it will do double damage. If this kills the enemy -- you just got a new weapon.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 30, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »
There are several enemies that can one hit kill you even with 6 hearts. Your armor makes a big difference.

??

In normal mode, you always get at least two hits though, right?  There are plenty of enemies that can deal more than 6 hearts of damage depending on your equipment, but I don't recall any one-hit-kills if you keep health at full power during the early game.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 30, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
You must have been avoiding hits. Moblins will easily kill you with a club in one hit. A Lynel will one hit kill you even with like 12 hearts I believe - maybe more.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 31, 2017, 12:00:49 AM »
That's not quite true. In Normal mode if you're are at absolutely 100% full health and you take a hit you will survive it with a quarter of a heart at least. It's a lot like the focus sash in Pokemon really.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: December 31, 2017, 01:18:51 AM »
I still feel that Nintendo mucked up Master Mode with their alterations rather than just removing one-hit kill survival and doubling down on damage. While I’ll never say that I know how to design a game better than the folks there, I believe fixing the difficulty issues was far more straightforward than the tier-up/regeneration method they went with for Master Mode, as it changes the way the player must approach combat rather than retaining the original feel of the base game. Then again, I suppose that’s the reason it’s called “Master Mode” and not “Hard Mode” or “Master Quest.”

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: December 31, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Was there an update that changed one hit kills or something? Because I'm positive I've been completely killed in one hit, many times in this game. In the Honest Game Trailer for BotW around 2:40 it shows a guardian one-shot kill Link, even with like 5 bonus hearts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:15:29 AM by BranDonk Kong »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 31, 2017, 11:22:05 AM »
Was there an update that changed one hit kills or something? Because I'm positive I've been completely killed in one hit, many times in this game. In the Honest Game Trailer for BotW around 2:40 it shows a guardian one-shot kill Link, even with like 5 bonus hearts.

Maybe that was on hard mode? I know one-hit kills are expected to happen there.
Or it totally could have been changed by an update that allows massive damage (or maybe certain types of damage/enemies) to provide a one-hit kill.