Author Topic: Futurama to pull a Family Guy?  (Read 40470 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Futurama to pull a Family Guy?
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2010, 08:39:22 PM »
Okay, I just watched Thursday's episode.
Anyone who thinks Futurama has lost it is wrong. :p
What did the show have to lose? I've been watching it on Netflix streaming and it's pretty trite stuff. Looks like the few episodes I happened to catch over the years were indeed the best ones.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »
Mop it up, are you serious? The ONLY episode I would say is bad is the one where Bender turns into a were-car. Every other episode is good or great, easily some of the best episodes of any animated show (or live-action show for that matter). Why do you not like them?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »
Okay, I just watched Thursday's episode.
Anyone who thinks Futurama has lost it is wrong. :p

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2010, 02:52:55 AM »
Mop it up, are you serious? The ONLY episode I would say is bad is the one where Bender turns into a were-car. Every other episode is good or great, easily some of the best episodes of any animated show (or live-action show for that matter). Why do you not like them?

I totally agree with this. Although I'd also flush 'That's Lobstertainment' to the sewers. So I don't totally agree with this.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2010, 09:58:28 AM »
To me, that episode just barely qualifies as OK.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2010, 08:59:12 PM »
I just personally don't find the writing to be very clever. There are times when the humour relies too much on sight gags or puns, many of which are lame or old.  The animation is top notch though, I will give it that.

I don't think it's a bad show (I'm still watching through the series), but it isn't anything special.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2010, 10:58:09 PM »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally hate some shows that are really popular (like Lost, I tried watching it but just found it incredibly boring).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2010, 12:33:55 AM »
I just personally don't find the writing to be very clever. There are times when the humour relies too much on sight gags or puns, many of which are lame or old.  The animation is top notch though, I will give it that.

I don't think it's a bad show (I'm still watching through the series), but it isn't anything special.

If you don't find Futurama's writing clever, what do you find clever?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2010, 11:13:10 AM »

Family Guy.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »
Do you like sci fi stuff Mop it Up?  If your not a big fan I can see not liking Futurama that much because it has so many references and in jokes in it.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »
I'm not a SciFi fan (if anything I'm anti-SciFi) and I love Futurama.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »

Family Guy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I wish I could applaud you 10 times for making me laugh so hard.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2010, 12:51:40 AM »
Hm, nothing much comes to mind. The earlier seasons of The Simpsons. That's about all I can think of offhand. I don't like Family Guy, for the most part I just find it to be loud and obnoxious.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a telly watcher. So I certainly wouldn't claim to be any sort of critic for shows. I just watch a few "casual" programs, where the episodes are self-contained and you don't need to watch every week/episode.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2010, 01:10:59 PM »
THE LEG BONE IS CONNECTED TO THE... CASH BONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I laughed so hard to this: one of the best openers i've seen in a while.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
Mop it up, are you serious? The ONLY episode I would say is bad is the one where Bender turns into a were-car.

What's wrong with that episode?  Been awhile since I've seen it but I don't remember it being a particularly poor experience.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »
It just didn't seem as funny to me. The episode (I watched it again last night, the episode is called "The Honking"). All of the scenes with Bender as a were-car, Fry being upset that Bender never tried to kill him (since the curse was that Bender would try to kill the ones he loved), everthing with Calculon. It wasn't just one thing.

I would still be willing to watch it if it's on TV, but I don't like the episode that much.

As for last weeks episode ("That Darn Katz!"), it was not the best episode this season but I still liked it. I was a little surprised with what they did with Amy at the end, and I wonder how the ending will be dealt with in the future (I didn't say specifically what happened with those two points because I don't want to spoil it).

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2010, 01:08:45 PM »
One thing I haven't really enjoyed with the new season is that they keep going and fucking around with things just for the sake of it.  Like, Leela has a growth on her ass that sings and it's been there her WHOLE LIFE but we've never noticed and we never will again.  Fry and Leela are like, seeing each other or something, but sometimes they're not when they don't care and want to have Leela **** Zap again for some reason.  Or the recent time travel episode.

Maybe I'm just taking the show too seriously for what it is, but one of the things I always like about it was that it did have this heart behind all the humor and a somewhat consistent universe.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »
My main complaint is the haven't seemed to make very many deliveries this season.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »
Mav, Fry and Leela had been attracted to each other in the first four seasons and finally acted on it in the movies (the fourth movie ended with them kissing as the ship flew into a wormhole). In the current season they openly know the other likes them but are not totally committed to a relationship.

As for the singing boyle named Susan, they had least tried to explain it by saying that she would always pop it and it would go away for a few months. This means that anytime we did see part of her ass was before the boyle grew back. Also remember that Leela only slept with Zap because that the Earth would be destroyed if they didn't.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
The time travel episode showed how successful the company could be without certain idiots and megalomaniacs around, including a huge fleet of Planet Express Ships.  Considering that the original doesn't actually move, but moves the universe around it instead, how could more than one such ship operate?  Even if they didn't simply break physics, they'd at least push each other off course, requiring a networked navigation system so the entire fleet worked in concert to put each ship where it needed to be.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2010, 09:08:06 PM »
Maybe they the company learned how to make a ship that could move itself?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2010, 09:59:28 AM »
I can forgive the whole awkward Fry/Leela relationship because they wrote themselves into that whole thing when they weren't sure if they would ever make any more episodes.  Things like the fucking singing boyle are just plain awful, however.

So far this season the only episode I've really liked was the time travel one because it seemed like it was one of the old episodes (and maybe the one where Leela and Zap "save the world").  Sure there have been a few gags that I've laughed at in the other episodes but overall I think the jokes are shallow, the (comic) deliveries are poor, and the situations are mediocre.  The Futurama movies were pretty bad as well (Bender's Game in particular is atrocious).

The old Futurama is by far my favorite television show.  The new Futurama is merely entertaining enough to get me to watch it online after I forget about it on TV.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »
You didn't like the movies? The only one I will agree was bad was Futurama: Bender's Game. Futurama: Bender's Big Score was especially good.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »
I can forgive the whole awkward Fry/Leela relationship because they wrote themselves into that whole thing when they weren't sure if they would ever make any more episodes.  Things like the fucking singing boyle are just plain awful, however.

Out of curiosity, you do know who Susan Boyle is though right?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »

Out of curiosity, you do know who Susan Boyle is though right?
I do know who she is and it doesn't really make the joke any less horrible :P Futurama has always had pop culture references in it but usually they don't slap you across the face with them.  Not only that but it was completely...I don't know...inappropriate I guess would be the right word.  The episode about the Eye Phone was also a little too blatant for me but at least it made sense in that it was futuristic technology.  The whole Susan Boyle thing was stupid enough when it was happening in real life; it really didn't need to be forced into the show.  Susan Boyle seems more like the type of person South Park should target, not Futurama.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa