Author Topic: New Nintendo 3DS Models Announced  (Read 23533 times)

Offline Br26

• OH REALLY
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
New Nintendo 3DS Models Announced
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »

New 3DS and 3DS LL models are coming to Japan in October.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/38380/new-nintendo-3ds-models-announced

Nintendo has announced two new 3DS models are coming to Japan this October.

Today's Nintendo Direct in Japan detailed the new models, New 3DS  and New 3DS LL. Both models contain faster CPU's, quicker download speeds and colorful face buttons akin to the Super Famicom. Hardware wise, the models also contain Amiibo support, better 3D viewing, a new button that helps control camera movement (similar to the C-stick found in previous console controllers), added ZR and ZL buttons (leading the cartridge slot to be moved to the front of the console), better battery life, and is also a bit lighter to boot.

New Nintendo 3DS will exclusively have changeable top and bottom plates, with various styles shown in the Direct. Many variations seem to be packaged for retail, but that is not confirmed.

MicroSD support has also been added.

New Nintendo 3DS comes in white and black, while the New 3DS LL comes in Metallic Blue and Metallic Black. Both models are scheduled for release in Japan on October 10 for 16,000 ($150) and 18,800 yen ($180), respectively. The models will be available in the United States and Europe in 2015.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: New Nintendo 3DS Models Announced
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:52:17 AM »
Those models are 2015 for the West.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
That 2015 date makes me feel a little bit better seeing as I was just about to buy a new 3DS to have something to play while I work abroad for the next few months. But all signs point to this new redesign as being the version to play, specially if the new buttons and improved the CPU means games the older systems can't play.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:50:17 AM »
Son of a whore...

I'll probably pick this up eventually, definitely won't buy it at launch. My XL is barely a year old.

Offline jglonek

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 08:51:08 AM »

I love Nintendo, and their systems. But this is  a money grab pure and simple and I think it's time to stand up to Nintendo and say "No". I would accept this if Nintendo went all the way and made it a new system with all the bells and wishes (and improved screen resolution/graphics). But this, and then having games exclusive for it? No.

And the name? "New 3DS"? Come on Nintendo, did you learn nothing from Wii U? "Hey, this game is only playable on the New 3DS". Yeah, no.

Nintendo had their chance to add things to the 3DS with the XL version. Pushing out a system that fragments the 3DS market is not a good idea at all. Yes Nintendo has a history of upgrading systems which is fine. But none of them have fragmented the market besides the camera added to the DSi.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »
Some interesting choices were made on the inclusion of new buttons, but not a 2nd nub.
That said, it blows my mind they did all this to port Xenoblade Chronicles to a handheld.  I take it the Japanese market loves playing their lengthy RPGs on a handheld?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:10:23 AM »
**** you nintendo

By the way, this was probably not just to port Xenoblade, but for the eye tracking of the 3D.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:12:55 AM »
Some interesting choices were made on the inclusion of new buttons, but not a 2nd nub.
That said, it blows my mind they did all this to port Xenoblade Chronicles to a handheld.  I take it the Japanese market loves playing their lengthy RPGs on a handheld?
I do.
Seriously how can you call that a GCN Controller version if the buttons aren't the right color and the c-stick isn't Yellow?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 09:13:21 AM »
It's a shame there are exclusive games that make use of the improved CPU, namely Xenoblade Chronicles (which I've barely played on Wii). This isn't terribly surprising. Gameboy Color did the same, technically so did DSi though they were few and far between beyond DSiWare. It made sense to combine the Circle Pad Pro and Amiibo functionality though the right Circle Pad looks weird.

I can hold off on this for a while as there are no exclusive titles announced that I'm dying to play. It's more likely that I'll upgrade once I wear down the Circle Pad on my XL due to Super Smash Bros. By that time, they might announce a real successor.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 09:28:19 AM »
If the Price is Right I'll probably jump onto the XL version since I have a launch 3DS and could use the improvement if MonHun4U isn't coming to WiiU.  Plus Xenoblade.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 09:44:33 AM »
Was just about to buy a new 3DS  for Smash, well thats not gonna happen now!

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »
Xenoblade looks terrible on that screen anyway, so i am not gonna cry about that.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 09:57:43 AM »
And I don't think it runs very fast either. The GIF I saw made it seem like 15 FPS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
Sounds like improvements. Makes me glad I held off on the 3DS so far. I'm guessing all the negative responses in this thread are from current 3DS owners. :P

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »
There's at least one Unity dev who would bring their game to the new 3DS if it was supported. Wonder if Web Framework will follow suit?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »
I prefer my original model 3DS over the XL for several reasons, most of them revolving around me being left-handed and having quicker, easier access to the retractable metal stylus, which was of better quality than the XL's. The Circle Pad Pro was essential for me to play Kid Icarus, as well, and finding the XL-sized model proves difficult.

If the stylus is stored on the left side of the handheld like in the original model, I'll gladly upgrade to the new design.
Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 10:14:22 AM »
I'm not too torn up over this. It was expected and I bought the XL knowing there would probably be another model down the line. I already own Xenoblade, and I'd rather play it on a TV than a 3DS. The improved battery life is nice (though still no where near it needs to be), especially with the improved CPU. I'd be more upset if Nintendo included a higher resolution screen as that was the main thing I wanted. Since that isn't the case, this existing is fine by me, and there's a good chance I will buy this in the future, likely after a price drop and a sale on top of it.

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
I was just coming around to buying a 3DS XL now I might have to wait. This is exactly why I stopped buying Nintendo hand helds, or any hand held for that matter, they keep updating them too fast to keep up with.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 10:28:18 AM »
Aww... I just bought an XL a short time ago. Would've definitely held off if I knew this was coming.  Oh well... them's the breaks.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Shulz21

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »
Darn, just purchased the current 3DS XL.  :(

Offline Arganos

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 10:54:28 AM »
Looks good.. Will be picking one up.  I've been waiting for a 3DS refresh.... Looks like Nintendo heard all of our gripes and made a model that addresses almost if not all of them.... Of that it won't be in the US by Black Friday...... Sales will be hurt if it comes our in January or February...... The sales percentage of video game stuff in the US for the holiday season is absurd.
Nintendo Network ID:   Arganos

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »
not at all, this holiday is too damn crowded as it is, they need to move things out to give the holiday stuff breathing room. Plus releasing the console in Spring lets them release games the following holiday and sales pick back up then.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 11:25:34 AM »
Ha, well ****, I happened across the XL Link Between Worlds edition yesterday on sale and ordered it on impulse. I don't really care about the Xenoblade port, but I really hope they don't switch too much output to the new juiced up version. Is there any feasible way they could release some kind of expansion doohickey to make older 3DS systems work with games like Xenoblade?

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
Ha, well ****, I happened across the XL Link Between Worlds edition yesterday on sale and ordered it on impulse. I don't really care about the Xenoblade port, but I really hope they don't switch too much output to the new juiced up version. Is there any feasible way they could release some kind of expansion doohickey to make older 3DS systems work with games like Xenoblade?

doubtful considering it has all new buttons, a second analog stick thing and a faster CPU, unless they really are trying to copy Sega to their doom.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 11:50:34 AM »

doubtful considering it has all new buttons, a second analog stick thing and a faster CPU, unless they really are trying to copy Sega to their doom.
Your right Doom was on all those systems wasn't it.