Author Topic: No Wii U or 3DS Games from Ubisoft at E3 2014  (Read 7148 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
No Wii U or 3DS Games from Ubisoft at E3 2014
« on: May 22, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »

The delayed version of Watch Dogs is the only upcoming Ubisoft game on a Nintendo platform we know about.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37499/no-wii-u-or-3ds-games-from-ubisoft-at-e3-2014

Ubisoft's E3 2014 lineup won't feature any Nintendo games, according to the publisher.

"We won't be showing off any Nintendo games at E3 this year," a Ubisoft representative said. Currently, the company is slated to show off Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4, and more announced and unannouced games at E3 2014.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot spoke last year about how the company was planning to still support the Wii U during the 2013 holiday season and would review their commitment to Nintendo's console after that.

Currently, the only upcoming game from Ubisoft for a Nintendo platform is the delayed release of Watch Dogs, which is expected, at best, this fall, months after the May 27 of Watch Dogs on other systems.

At E3 2011, Ubisoft teamed up with Nintendo for a special developer discussion focusing on Ubisoft's upcoming slate of Wii U titles, including Killer Freaks from Outer Space (which later became ZombiU) and the never-released Ghost Recon Online. The following E3, Ubisoft's press conference was one of the first public demonstrations of the near-final Wii U with demos of Rayman Legends, ZombiU, and Just Dance.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: No Wii U or 3DS Games from Ubisoft at E3 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 02:28:20 PM »
Their's a tough break.  Nintendo will need to expand Nintendo.  No one else is going to help.  There soon going to be like Leapfrog.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 02:29:46 PM »
Well, they tried. Perhaps not as hard as some would have liked, but Zombi U was more than any thing from other big third party publishers.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:40:18 PM »
Man, even Ubisoft is jumping ship. Nintendo is really on their own from here on out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 02:55:36 PM »
Harsh.  I can't but think sales of Rayman hurt this situation.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »
Harsh.  I can't help* but think sales of Rayman hurt this situation.

Fixed.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »
Well, I can't say I blame them. If I was a 3rd party dev, I would have pulled out long before they did. Once again, the Nintendo console is only a place to play Nintendo games. Nintendo needs to expand their studios...badly. It disturbs me that Iwata hasn't announced that as part of the company's recovery yet.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stealth

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
Do I believe these reps? not really.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
I wish third-parties would be more transparent about their relationships with other first-parties as much as they are with Nintendo (usually negative).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline jglonek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »
I can understand no Wii U games, but why no 3DS games? That system is selling like hotcakes.

Maybe it's because all the games they are announcing will be for the Nintendo Fusion system!.. right? ... right?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 03:36:54 PM »
Fun fact: this was in response to whether or not we should book an appointment for E3 with Ubisoft. So unless they want to show Nintendo games and not have them covered by a Nintendo outlet, this is factual. No conspiracy; no misdirection.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »
Fun fact: this was in response to whether or not we should book an appointment for E3 with Ubisoft. So unless they want to show Nintendo games and not have them covered by a Nintendo outlet, this is factual. No conspiracy; no misdirection.
After those MK Reviews they may be doubting this sites Faith.  :P
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 03:44:54 PM »
I'm also curious about the huge lack of support for 3DS.  The system sells well, has a strong install base, and should be considerably cheaper to develop for than home consoles.  Yet support from western developers has been sparse at best.

Can't really blame Ubisoft for bailing on Wii U though. As much as I like the console, it's hard to see it as a viable option for significant third-party support.  As long as X comes out I won't feel bad though.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 05:08:24 PM »
I remember back when the Wii U was launched (and the Wii as well actually) Ubisoft games were used as "proof" that the console had decent third party support.  My response was that Ubisoft supports EVERYTHING, even the N-Gage, and having their support means nothing and if you didn't have them and EA (another dev that typically supports everything) then you were really in trouble.

Well the Wii U is really in trouble.  If it doesn't have Ubisoft and EA games I can see a future where Nintendo is literally the only developer making Wii U games.  Unless they grab a fucking brain and replace this dud ASAP.  How will this thing last a normal lifecycle if it has no games coming out?  You think stores will want to carry something that gets like one new game every four or five months?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 05:18:40 PM »
Replacing the dud would require a system to already be far along in development, and would require not completely destroying consumer faith. Why risk buying a new Nintendo system if Nintendo will have a history of just killing it quickly after two years?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 07:35:56 PM »
You know it's bad when not even Ubisoft will put their shovelware on your platform.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
And no COD as well. I can understand Warner Bros or Ubi dropping off but COD was always a sure thing.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 09:11:46 PM »
It's funny.  Everyone says people who own Wii U's only buy Nintendo games.  Looking at my shelf, my mix of games are 1/2 Nintendo, 1/2 3rd party.  [size=78%]I guess I'm the exception, not the rule.[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Ubi isn't my favorite 3rd party, but Zombi U was an interesting take on the survival genre, and Rayman Legends was great.  I hate how the Wii U is dying on the vine, because in spite of my problems with it, I really do like the system.[size=78%]

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »
Guys, it's because Nintendo is going to be rounding up ALL the remaining 3rd party support and housing it in their Nintendo booth at E3. Nintendo wanted to make the biggest impact possible by housing everything you can do on a Nintendo system in the Nintendo booth.
It's a bold move, but Nintendo can pull it off. Best E3 Yet. guaranteed. [/blindfaith/shininglightatendoftunnel]

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 09:39:36 PM »
One thing's for sure: this certainly leads credibility to the sentiment that Nintendo's doing a Direct-focused E3 this year because they have very little to show. They have pretty much no 3rd party support for the rest of the year, at least. It's all Nintendo software now.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »
It's funny.  Everyone says people who own Wii U's only buy Nintendo games.  Looking at my shelf, my mix of games are 1/2 Nintendo, 1/2 3rd party.  I guess I'm the exception, not the rule.

Ubi isn't my favorite 3rd party, but Zombi U was an interesting take on the survival genre, and Rayman Legends was great.  I hate how the Wii U is dying on the vine, because in spite of my problems with it, I really do like the system.

Same for me since the Gamecube days. But we multiparty supporting Nintendo fans are few and far between. I always figured "we" were only about 400k of the North American market. Not enough to sustain a company such as Nintendo or any supporting 3rd parties for long, especially with a slow selling system like the U. The original Wii at least had a large enough user base to rope in extra sales.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 01:46:17 AM »
It's a shame.  I may be mistaken, I had thought that Ubi had already given indication that they weren't planning to put any more development efforts into the Wii U.  The lack of 3DS support is a surprise, though.

I agree that introducing new console hardware at this point would be counterproductive.  As Phil says, it would destroy consumer faith.  Also, the intial sales and subsequent price drops of the 3DS and Wii U, Nintendo has already taught me that it doesn't really pay to be an early adopter of their systems anymore.   Unless the new system was amazing, we have no reason to believe it would sell any better at this point.  Similarly, if Nintendo introduced new hardware at this point, third parties would have no compelling reason to suddenly jump on board again.   The support has been more or less declining for three system generations now, and many of the the reasons for it go back even further.   

I didn't purchase my Wii U until the Wind Waker bundle came out, but I've enjoyed my time with the system.   If major third parties aren't going to support the system any more, at the very least I've got a whole load of kickstarter indie games to look forward to going into 2014-2015.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 01:51:46 AM »
People keep saying the lack of 3DS support is a surprise, but as Neal pointed out on Twitter, the last 3DS game Ubisoft released came out in 2012. They cut support for that a long time ago.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline chilenozo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »
Terrible news...no one can say they didn't try.

And the 3DS thing...western devs have shown very little support since day one.

3DS survives out of Nintendo games and Japanese 3rd parties....it's amazing how powerful Nintendo franchises are....can't imagine Sony or MS surviving out of their own games with little or no 3rd party support.

But yeah....I don't see this thing changing even if they WiiU sales improve. I bet that Ubi has data confirming once again what everybody knows....that most of Nintendo console owners spend money on Nintendo games 1st, and then, if there are some money left, buy 3rd parties...but sometimes those owners have other consoles and buy 3rd parties for the other consoles.

I mean there is no game like ZombiU in the other consoles....that game should have sale pretty good....but tanked.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 10:35:19 AM »
can't imagine Sony or MS surviving out of their own games with little or no 3rd party support.

This.  Folks wonder why Nintendo doesn't hand out moneybags for third parties - they don't have to (and when they do, they end up in messes like they are in now).  Sony and Microsoft would tank without third party support (in fact, the gaming divisions in both companies are floundering right now - the mainstream gaming media just doesn't pick up on that since they can hide it better via their other divisions).  Nintendo can and has survived on little-to-no third party support (GameCube, N64).
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.