Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217294 times)

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #425 on: August 17, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »
There are many examples of arrogance.  Just a couple are spending half the time in multiple press conferences talking about how much $$$ you're pulling in or acting astonishingly insulted when gamers says they're disappointed all they're getting for xmas is Animal Crossing.

Business-related shows are business-related.  And considering everybody and their brother kept predicting that Nintendo was going to leave the market and "go 3rd party," a little reassurance to investors requires repeated claims of sales superiority, which seems to have no effect as most third parties and press sites will jam their fingers into their ears and "la-la-la-la-la!"

And I would have been taken aback too at the "backlash" of making a sequel to the popular Animal Crossing series only to have people email you how you are "abandoning the hardcore" for the 3894278th time that year, completely ignoring other games like, say WarioLand and releases earlier in the year like Mario Kart and SSBB.  The article is right in that a lot of hardcore games who own Wiis really should be grateful Nintendo doesn't take the freakish groans and outbursts of the more vocal and rude of their members seriously and continue to make games like Metroid and Mario Galaxy 2 and a new Zelda and Pikmin and such.  Because for all this vocal diarrhea that they have to put up with, it's a wonder they still make those games at all.

Edit: And Ferny wins this phase of the thread.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 01:25:30 AM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 17, 2009, 03:01:35 AM »
Why is Nintendo's lineup so poor? Because they can't make a diverse console library all by themselves! They try to push the console into as many households as possible and get people with varying interests on the system so that third parties can make money with games on the system. The third parties are simply refusing to work with the Wii, possibly because they are afraid of money or something, so the system has a pretty sparse library when compared with a system that has dozens of companies making games for it instead of only one.

Italics are his, the word that was blocked because we can't say, is mine.

These forums have a selective censoring system, every user can pick whether he wants cuss language to be censored. Because of that we're allowed to use profanity as much as we want (but don't half-censor it because then the filter can't recognize it).

Just a couple are spending half the time in multiple press conferences talking about how much $$$ you're pulling in

Remember gamers aren't the only people they're talking to in those conferences, Nintendo is publicly traded and needs to talk to investors just as much as gamers.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #427 on: August 17, 2009, 03:48:16 AM »
Gamers much less because these shows are supposed to be filled with Press, and press aren't exactly gamers just a selected few elite Industry Puppets.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 17, 2009, 02:00:44 PM »
Third parties refusing to develop on Nintendo systems started with the N64, and reared it's ugly head with the GCN. Both had some legit reasons as to why they didn't make games for them.

Wii, not so much. Okay, so it isn't HD, but most developers have forgotten it takes CREATIVITY to develop games. If Nintendo had to use their creativity to please the 360/PS3, they wouldn't get to far, at all.

If that happened, I would give up on video games forever.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #429 on: August 17, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »
We'll swear on the grave of the Capcom 5 together.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 18, 2009, 12:09:26 AM »
Gloating about how much $$ you're making during a press conference isn't telling us anything we don't already know.  Those numbers are already out there.  There's a right way and a wrong way to do it.  The right way, is subtly bringing up numbers to support the DSi after a journalists states its struggled out of the gate.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #431 on: August 18, 2009, 12:14:59 AM »
But, they're not talking to us.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 18, 2009, 01:23:28 AM »
We'll laugh on the grave of the Capcom together.
That sounds a bit better, but the Capcom 5...

IGNORANCE AT IT'S FINEST.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #433 on: August 18, 2009, 05:50:51 AM »
Will you defeat the Cappcom and rescue the Princess of Legend?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 18, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
Gloating about how much $$ you're making during a press conference isn't telling us anything we don't already know.  Those numbers are already out there.  There's a right way and a wrong way to do it.  The right way, is subtly bringing up numbers to support the DSi after a journalists states its struggled out of the gate.

In your opinion.  Nitnendo stating that they are, yet again, still making record profits for the industry, despite all rumors of "going third party" or "becoming a hot dog factory," is 100% relevant to the business investors who invest in businesses (Is it sinking in?  I hope so.).  Since they'd never held a press conference where all they DID was gloat about sales, this is a ridiculous strawman issue and a fabrication of "arrogance."  What, is Nintendo supposed to hide the fact that they are wildly successful because it makes their competition and it's fans "feel bad?"  Tough, that's business.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 18, 2009, 10:55:35 PM »

In your opinion.  Nitnendo stating that they are, yet again, still making record profits for the industry, despite all rumors of "going third party" or "becoming a hot dog factory," is 100% relevant to the business investors who invest in businesses (Is it sinking in?  I hope so.).  Since they'd never held a press conference where all they DID was gloat about sales, this is a ridiculous strawman issue and a fabrication of "arrogance."  What, is Nintendo supposed to hide the fact that they are wildly successful because it makes their competition and it's fans "feel bad?"  Tough, that's business.

Show me a 30 minute clip of Sony drunk on its own success at E3 during the PS2 dynasty and I'll agree this is industry standard.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 18, 2009, 11:32:47 PM »
It didn't really happen because even with a dominating marketshare, Sony was never making money hand over fist like Nintendo is.

But you can find clips of Sony telling consumers "The first 5million will sell without any games" & "You want it, you will go get a 2nd job to afford it..... $599 US dollars!!!"

If that is not gloating about past success, then I don't know what is. That was more than gloating actually, it was Arrogance at it's finest and I haven't seen Nintendo do anything along those lines.

Boasting about Record profits and increased marketshare is what Nintendo needed to do after 2 generations of decreased market share and flat earnings. Investors & Board members need these things spelled out to them in the easiest way to swallow & we just happen to be listening too.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 18, 2009, 11:44:56 PM »
Show me a 30 minute clip of Sony drunk on its own success at E3 during the PS2 dynasty and I'll agree this is industry standard.

Are you nuts?  Sony practically defined arrogance in the console industry (I guess they're toeing a slightly more humble line recently, but that's only because they've been smacked, very, very hard).

Remember Kutaragi?  The guy who led SCE for most of its successful years?  He was well known mostly for being hugely, insanely, mind-boggingly, arrogant, to the extent that many even at Sony hated his guts (I know this from friends who worked at SCE in Tokyo); SCE was a bizarre and insular division within the larger company, but hard to control because they made so much money.  In the end, he went too far, and the poor showing of the PS3 gave Sony an opening to get rid of him.

Nintendo seems refreshingly straight-forward and humble compared to all that crap (remember "get a second job to afford a ps3"?).  They certainly are happy to be doing well, but they aren't completely wacko like Sony was.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 19, 2009, 01:02:29 AM »
The fact that Infernal Monkey responded made it worthwhile  ;D

To be fair, the author is an equal opportunity offender as D Average mentioned earlier.

On Sony:

Sony has conducted itself with an arrogance and smugness that it simply doesn't deserve. We should have been clued in to just how bad Sony's mouth was going to **** the PlayStation 3 when it dragged forth its notoriously awful 2006 E3 press conference. The one where Kaz Hirai shouted "RIIIIIDGE RACER," to a silent audience, and announced the PS3 price point of "599 US Dollars" as if he were doing the world a favor. Before the PlayStation 3 was even given life, Sony had managed to make it memorable for a series of running jokes more than anything else.

Then there are just the generally inane and pathetic things that Sony executives have said over the years. How about the time Kaz Hirai said that Sony was still the "official" industry leader? Sure, it sounds delusional, but he certainly backed up his claim ... by pretending that Nintendo didn't exist and ignoring Microsoft completely:

On Microsoft:

The most important bit of baggage is one we all know about by now, the fact that the Xbox 360 is a technical piece of ****, as far as hardware goes. Not even mentioning the red ring of death, the Xbox 360 is home to all manner of technical errors and random crashes. Every major update seems to bring with it a fresh slew of reports from gamers who now have a glorified brick sitting underneath their televisions. Be it red rings, E74 errors, or any other number of things that could go wrong, Xbox 360 ownership has been ruled by one dominant emotion -- fear.

Italics his. Our own board has its horror stories...

The Xbox 360 platform apparently revels in its own greed, rubbing it in the faces of consumers. Nothing makes that more clear than the fact that Xbox Live is apparently ad supported, even though gamers are charged a subscription fee for the privilege of playing games online.

Microsoft has made it clear that it wants to be as mainstream as Nintendo, but has given no indication that it knows how to do it, instead trying to awkwardly reach out to a market Nintendo cornered, while alienating the market MS already has.

In short, it sounds like its the typical ZOMG teh non-gamerz are $#@(*%# gaming for us argument!

Yay for filtering!

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 19, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »
@ mac<censored>:I would love to hear those stories.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 19, 2009, 08:04:35 PM »

Are you nuts?  Sony practically defined arrogance in the console industry (I guess they're toeing a slightly more humble line recently, but that's only because they've been smacked, very, very hard).

Remember Kutaragi?  The guy who led SCE for most of its successful years?  He was well known mostly for being hugely, insanely, mind-boggingly, arrogant, to the extent that many even at Sony hated his guts (I know this from friends who worked at SCE in Tokyo); SCE was a bizarre and insular division within the larger company, but hard to control because they made so much money.  In the end, he went too far, and the poor showing of the PS3 gave Sony an opening to get rid of him.

Nintendo seems refreshingly straight-forward and humble compared to all that crap (remember "get a second job to afford a ps3"?).  They certainly are happy to be doing well, but they aren't completely wacko like Sony was.

Yes.  Sony has said a lot of stupid arrogant things.  Everyone does.  But putting together a huge highlight reel of your console on shows like The View and then going on and on for 30 minutes about how you're kicking everyone's ass, and how gaming with a controller is for retards is a bit off putting.  Especially given the fact that many Wii gamers favorite games still use traditional controls methods.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 19, 2009, 08:17:42 PM »

Yes.  Sony has said a lot of stupid arrogant things.  Everyone does.  But putting together a huge highlight reel of your console on shows like The View and then going on and on for 30 minutes about how you're kicking everyone's ass, and how gaming with a controller is for retards is a bit off putting.  Especially given the fact that many Wii gamers favorite games still use traditional controls methods.

I don't suppose you have a link to exactly what you're referencing?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 19, 2009, 08:19:13 PM »

That's not even equivalent on any plane.

Even if your summarization of 30 minutes of a Nintendo press conference is true (which it probably isn't, I'm sure they didn't say "Controllers are for Retards, especially D_Average.  What a stupid idiot he, in particular, is.  We hate him and pray for his fiery death.  D_Average?  I must say LOL.  That must have been his reading comprehension grade.  Again, I am compelled to say LOL."  That's probably you taking offense at something like "Only Nintendo offers these new advanced control methods" or something.) it does NOT COMPARE to Sony literally saying that 5 million PS3's will sell without software, or people should work two jobs to buy a PS3, or Making an update for the PSP download-only, with no UMD drive for current fans who actually buy their games, and INCREASING the price of out-dated 2004 technology to $250.

That sort of crap is NOT EQUIVALENT to Nintendo talking about sales figures at a business press conferences  (Please tell me you understand now.  Business?  E3 is a Business Trade Show?  Sales figures?  Everybody talks about them.   Business?  Investors?  Investments?  Capitalism?  Is it getting through?  Please, PLEASE say yes.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:21:27 PM by Deguello »

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 19, 2009, 08:23:55 PM »
The second E is for Entertainment. I am not entertained by pie charts.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 19, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
The last E is for Exposition, which will always be business, period.  It's not a convention.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 19, 2009, 08:53:34 PM »
I'm currently building a brick wall for all of you to talk to just incase D Average ever decides to stop responding.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 19, 2009, 09:02:37 PM »
LOL Truly.  It's just something he DOESN'T understand about it and is willing to fabricate this "arrogance" just to fulfill a media "narrative" instead of a media "truth."  That narrative being "Popular company gets arrogant and falls," which is the prophecy he is trying to fulfill and to do that he's looking for anything considered "arrogant."

It's really tiresome and this record seems to be a little broken, so I wish he'd change it or stop playing it.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 20, 2009, 12:51:38 AM »
LOL Truly.  It's just something he DOESN'T understand about it and is willing to fabricate this "arrogance" just to fulfill a media "narrative" instead of a media "truth."  That narrative being "Popular company gets arrogant and falls," which is the prophecy he is trying to fulfill and to do that he's looking for anything considered "arrogant."

It's really tiresome and this record seems to be a little broken, so I wish he'd change it or stop playing it.

Dude.  Ask your self this.  Why is it so hard for you to admit Nintendo is arrogant right now?  I can.  I've owned every major console by them and I have no problem critizing them.  Just as I have no problem criticizing Sony or Pizza Hut.  The whole point of the original article was that Nintendo is annoying as hell right now in the fact that they are not delivering that goods we want while pretending they are and constantly reminding gamers how well their systems are selling.  This is great news for investors but gamers could care less.  Knowing that Wii Play is in the top ten doesn't make that broken "game" any more fun.  Its really that simple.  I know I'm not the only one on this board who spends more time with their 360 and/or PS3 simply because Nintendo's lineup over the last 18 months has been less than steller.

Looking at your posts here and your last few posts today on other threads it seems pretty clear you're just another Nintendo Apologist.  Unless you're getting paid for this gig as a two bit shill, why do you spend so much energy spinning stories in Nintendo's favor?  They are a video game company.  Its perfectly acceptable to take shots at them while enjoying the games that interest you.  This is what they do on Radio Free Nintendo.  Its really ok.

Continue down this road, and you'll end up with a strong case of objectum sexuality like that hack Sean Malstrom and Jack from Infendo.  Hell, you probably are Jack and Sean.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #448 on: August 20, 2009, 02:03:13 AM »
They're not reminding gamers how well things are going, Nintendo's only direct communication with the market is through advertising, where they rarely mention words like "best selling". Press events, industry conferences, these are places that in most other industries are not of interest to consumers. I can guarantee that at a consumer based event, like PAX, NOA won't be rattling off sales numbers, they'll have game demos out. It is a true anomoly that we care enough to watch the live feeds and get these raw twitter feeds of people on the ground. The majority of people, hell the majority of gamers, don't have any interest in this. We've been exposed to the evil capitalist underbelly of Nintendo but we're free to look away at anytime.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 20, 2009, 02:07:08 AM »
They're not reminding gamers how well things are going, Nintendo's only direct communication with the market is through advertising, where they rarely mention words like "best selling". Press events, industry conferences, these are places that in most other industries are not of interest to consumers. I can guarantee that at a consumer based event, like PAX, NOA won't be rattling off sales numbers, they'll have game demos out. It is a true anomoly that we care enough to watch the live feeds and get these raw twitter feeds of people on the ground. The majority of people, hell the majority of gamers, don't have any interest in this. We've been exposed to the evil capitalist underbelly of Nintendo but we're free to look away at anytime.
+1
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.