Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186166 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #4350 on: February 16, 2018, 03:09:25 AM »
Seeing what Disney has done with Marvel and Star Wars just really makes me question what went wrong with Power Rangers.

Does Disney have Power Rangers?
Because that might be the answer to your question... ;)

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: February 16, 2018, 04:00:26 AM »
I'll keep asking until i'm blue in the face. Nintendo needs to go to Marvel Studios and ask them for help on how to spin out Metroid into a MetroidCU.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4352 on: February 16, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »
Seeing what Disney has done with Marvel and Star Wars just really makes me question what went wrong with Power Rangers.

RPM was done while the franchise was owned by Disney.  I stopped watching during the SPD season.  But the Super Megaforce season looked really fun.  I might stream it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: February 16, 2018, 10:56:22 AM »
I'll keep asking until i'm blue in the face. Nintendo needs to go to Marvel Studios and ask them for help on how to spin out Metroid into a MetroidCU.

Not to speculate..., but maybe someone heard you....
http://comicbook.com/powerrangers/amp/2018/02/15/saban-brands-power-rangers-cuts-ties-bandai/?__twitter_impression=true

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: February 16, 2018, 12:46:17 PM »

RPM was done while the franchise was owned by Disney.  I stopped watching during the SPD season.  But the Super Megaforce season looked really fun.  I might stream it.
Protip: Don't.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: February 16, 2018, 12:57:04 PM »
RPM is my favorite Power Rangers season.  It was really well put together, considering all the behind the scenes issues it had.

According to Linkara, Disney never really knew what to do with Power Rangers. They bought it to run in syndication, but the production team managed to cut costs enough to keep it in production. Disney didn't like having a physically violent kids show, so they started taking the martial arts, front explosions, etc. out of the show. They even started adding goofy sound effects to the guns. At one point, they wanted to cut costs even further & just dub the Sentai, but they were talked out of it.

By the time RPM rolled around, Disney was done so they let the showrunners do whatever they wanted since it was supposed to be the final season.

Then Neo Saban rolled around & made the show worse with Samurai & Megaforce.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4356 on: February 16, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »
Wait, Megaforce wasn't good?! :(
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: February 16, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »

Super/Megaforce is probably the worst season ever.  All the missed potential :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: February 16, 2018, 05:19:54 PM »

This was kinda answered above, but - basically, Disney bought Power Rangers (along with some/all) of Saban's back catalogue.  They had some "pretty good for Power Rangers" seasons and some mediocre seasons (RPM being the biggest exception... If you're even a casual PR fan, go watch this season.  As mentioned above, Disney said '**** it, do whatever' and we got a pretty amazing series out of it).  Then, Disney just gave up and sold everything (Power Rangers) back to Saban.

They had an amazingly popular, long running series with a huge built-in fan base, a continuity full of potential to explore, a large pool of previous actors who seem to love their time on the series (and several who don't...) and would come back in a heart beat... But, instead, we got MMPR Flashback (ugh).
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: February 16, 2018, 06:30:49 PM »

Allow me to direct you to Linkara's extensive 5-part History of Power Rangers Retrospective on Super Megaforce.

Incidentally, he has videos like this for all the Power Rangers seasons up through Super Dinocharge.

Also, calling Super Megaforce the "worst" season of Power Rangers is a tall order considering the existence of Operation Overdrive.

A few years back, I purchased the big box sets of all the Power Rangers seasons up through RPM. Been meaning to watch them, but they're in storage right now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: February 16, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »
The thing that gets to me about the Neo Saban seasons is that it's very clear that nobody gives a **** about hiring half decent actors in for the main cast. Like the bar is so low now. It's ridiculous.

There's a simple explanation for that. :smug:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:49:05 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: February 16, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »

But it's FAR too complex for you to understand. :P:

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: February 16, 2018, 07:01:21 PM »
I will say, now that I've seen Time Force every other season leaves a giant Quantasaurous Rex shaped hole in my heart.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: February 16, 2018, 11:59:48 PM »

A lot of folks give them crap for that line, but I kinda enjoyed it.  It was something that would have, at best, been give some kind of half-assed explanation that just would have felt empty and meaningless anyway.  At least we got a laugh out of it this way.

Also, calling Super Megaforce the "worst" season of Power Rangers is a tall order considering the existence of Operation Overdrive.

OO is probably worst on all technical merits, but Super/Megaforce just rubs me the wrong way because of how much potential the series could have had with cameos, old costumes, various plot points.  They left out so much, but, hey, we got New Powers that are New.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ-b67BPKPg[/youtube]

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: February 17, 2018, 01:36:58 AM »
Operation Overdrive does have the android twist at least.

Also we don't talk about what megaforce did to my Q-rex.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 01:39:59 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: February 17, 2018, 02:13:36 AM »
Better than what they did to Cornith.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: February 18, 2018, 10:16:47 PM »
Here's something unclebob will appreciate at about three minutes in.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:22:55 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: February 19, 2018, 03:24:35 AM »
Terrible editing aside (I mean, it's fan made, what should I expect?) - yes.  It was... morphinominal.

Although, watching that brought back flashbacks of me yelling "Why are they pirates?!?".  I mean, I know *why* they're pirates... but there's never any attempt at even in-universe recognizition that they're pirates.  At least we got the whole joke with black/green, letting us viewers know that the Rangers thought that was odd.  But they just didn't seem to care about the fact they were Pirates.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: February 20, 2018, 04:55:33 PM »
Legends was fantastic this week. I did say in an earlier post that all the shows in the Arrowverse have been annoying me in some way, i should say that excludes Legends. By just leaning into the lunacy of its premise of course Mick is trying to write a scifi romance novel and Nate/Amaya are actively using the flasher to forget what they did.... it's simply a better show for it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: February 25, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »
Marathoned The second half of the first season of Tick on Amazon last night. I wasn't too hot on the pilot when I first saw it, but overall the season turned out to be great.  The dialog was fantastic, but with Ben Edlund and David Fury in the writing team, I expect no less. The best character is Overkill.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: February 25, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »
Oh, that's right, I remember seeing an add for the The Tick on Amazon yesterday... that's what I should have been watching today.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: March 01, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »
Glad The Tick part 2 finally came out. I was a little irked at how they staggered the release of the season. I'm not so sure if generated the hype or build up they were hoping for.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: March 04, 2018, 09:39:58 PM »
Uugh, late to the party, the notification system here is questionable.

STD: Infinite Picard face palm out of zero Riker beard. People think this is story telling? Even if you ignore Trek canon how is that acceptable? Kids playing with action figures make up better more cohesive stories. Someone needs to beam Michaels into a bulkhead, send Tilly too. The show in no way earn what that ending implied for the writers, and the Enterprise? Just insulting.

Legends: Who needs Star Trek when we have Legends? It's not at all Trek but at a show that is self respecting and exists in such a large "Universe" with time travel it keeps itself together very well. Depending on how you see it they do cheat a little by keeping the plot slow but they compensate with the characters as noted by Plugabugz.

Supergirl: This is still a show about Kara right? Is there another new show being made because it sure as hell looks like they are trying very had to spin off a "Heroes in a vehicle" show that unlike Legends is going to be played completely straight. If they are that show is going to suck. Wait, was I suppose to talk about Supergirl?

AoS: They have lost their way this season. They have gone for the mystery box option and they are suffering. It meanders, I am not sure why Culson is there, they are tossing layers and layers of complexity it doesn't need. It moves from disconnected plot point to plot point. It's the opposite of last season where it was character driven.

I swear they must have reused the sets from Inhumans or something. They stand out hard at how cheap they look even though someone spent money on it.

There has been some bright spots like Jeffrey Combs but not the character he played and Enok as well as Hunter but the rest are something of a wreak. The latest episode had a very amusing "We are getting too old for this ****" feel to it.

I haven't tried Zima yet, any good?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: March 05, 2018, 12:55:44 AM »
If Berlanti is spinning off yet another show, he is gonna need his own network soon...

as far as AoS, I hear the payoff is in the second half. Some kind of spoiler is floating around and i refuse to spoil myself.

and Zima... hmmmm.... I'm not sure they actually still make and sell that.... It's basically a winecooler or a Mike's Hard Lemonade, long before those existed. It's not bad, but it's nothing I would waste my time drinking. lol
If I remember correctly, it's like if Sprite had a wine cooler.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: March 05, 2018, 01:13:02 AM »
oohhBoy, have you ever watched Red Letter Media's reviews of STD?