Author Topic: Wait, GameCube is more powerful than 3DS?  (Read 27032 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, GameCube is more powerful than 3DS?
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »
I guess I more specifically mean in the format I want, which is physical media on consoles. In that case it's only been dwindling over the past 20 years. I feel like other aspects of games such as level design tend to be undervalued by people; games like NSMBU and Super Mario 3D World are a perfect example of games that clearly aren't pushing the system's abilities but a lot of effort went into the other aspects like levels and that's why they can still stand as full retail titles.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »
The number of games that get released physically is only going to decrease. More games of the scope you're talking about will come, but the era of those kinds of things coming to retail isn't coming back.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2014, 05:37:02 PM »
They don't come digitally to consoles either and I'm not sure it's going to change. Companies these days seem to either chase the AAA dollars or release the indie-style hits, the landscape has changed. I may still be able to live with "digital-only consoles" if they had enough of what I wanted, but I'm still not expecting this long trend to reverse.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »
They don't come to consoles because there's still a pretty hard break between "retail" and "download." As that line blurs, as it has on PC, I think we'll see more of it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
I think this is becoming a problem, because it seems there's little place for those mid-range titles these days. The ones that have more meat and halfway decent graphics than the indie/download-only games, but aren't so bloated with flashiness and technical proficiency like AAA titles. And these were often my fave games, but nowadays they don't really sell. It would be nice if the mainstream consumer had a wider variety of tastes.

Welcome to 3DS gaming! I think that is another reason why I've been gravitating more and more to handheld games (like the Japanese!) because they often feel like the right length and scope to me. They are often sold in the price range you are looking for and offer a greater variety and focus on gameplay as graphics are not usually used as a selling point. The DS and 3DS games feel to me like they are carrying on the spirit of the SNES and Genesis generation of game design.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:56 PM »
I just popped in Twilight Princess GameCube (you know that game I said would have "forward compatibility" months before the Wii version was announced) and yeah, the gamecube was indeed a beast of a machine and i'm not sure the 3DS could handle this game. Although I would love to see this in 3D!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2014, 07:53:06 PM »
The DS and 3DS games feel to me like they are carrying on the spirit of the SNES and Genesis generation of game design.
The only issue with this is that I can't play the games on a TV which is what I very much prefer. But lately I've been putting up with it to play some DS games since the state of console gaming has been getting progressively worse these past few years (maybe longer).

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »
I have a similar issue, I would pick up a 3DS in a heatbeat or a "gameboy player" type device that let you play 3DS on a TV. My first experience with Game Boy games was on Super Game Boy. I HATE hand held gaming it hurts my eyes after just a few minutes I honestly can't figure out how it has gotten so popular. If it wasn't for Game Boy Player I wouldn't have experienced GBA either, well ok I did get the machine and link cable to try Crystal Chronicles but I mostly just used it for connectivity I played all my GB games on the Game Cube.

However with 3DS they have been releasing all the games I really WANT to play so its getting to the point at least with the XL having a decent sized screen, that I am very tempted to get one sooner or latter.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
Sounds like you would love Nintendo to release BnM's Nintendo Hybrid system. I'm liking the idea more and more if they follow a Steam-style universal platform.

Switching from handheld to console on a big TV would be perfect. Portable is more convenient at times but then on my "gaming nights" I want to hunker down at the TV for a big epic game session.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2014, 05:40:38 PM »
Sounds like you would love Nintendo to release BnM's Nintendo Hybrid system. I'm liking the idea more and more if they follow a Steam-style universal platform.

Switching from handheld to console on a big TV would be perfect. Portable is more convenient at times but then on my "gaming nights" I want to hunker down at the TV for a big epic game session.

I would be just as happy if they went 3rd party or at least released games on Steam that way there is more flexibility. If I didn't have to spend $200-$300 on the machine I would gladly give them all my money for easy, convenient access to all their games. I spend lots of money on VC despite already owning just about every game on there. I do this for two reasons, 1 I actually do like to support companies who provide products that I enjoy, and 2, I like getting the benefits of upgrading these games to play on current technology so that I don't have to keep old TV sets, cables, and outdated hardware that constantly requires regular maintenance. Plus it keeps many of them in circulation so they don't become too hard to find like Super Mario RPG or Earthbound on SNES two games that VC gave a second life to, among others.

Nintendo would get more money from me and many others who want the games but not the wonky hardware. I know its their business model but they could consider upgrading a little bit maybe get out of the twentieth century for a change.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
I'm not a handheld guy and once the Game Boy Player came out I don't know if I ever played my actual GBA again.  But I love my 3DS XL.  I think the bigger screen really does make a difference.  I had an original model DS with the smaller screen and never got into it.

Though one problem I have is I tend to be fairly animated when playing a game.  In intense moments I move the controller around which is pretty disorienting when the screen is attached to the controller.  My 3DS XL seems fine but I haven't bought any action games for it.  I have Pokémon, Bravely Default and Theatrhythm Curtain Call.  I hold my controller still in RPGs because the turn based structure means that there isn't much need for quick reflexes which triggers my animated controller usage.  It may just be me specifically picking titles that I think won't be a problem for me on a handheld, rather than any benefit of the XL screen.

A 3DS player however (let's assume this would also include DS games) would make me seriously consider a Wii U purchase.  The touchscreen seemed like the big stumbling block for such an idea on the Wii but Nintendo's console now has one.  Top screen on TV, bottom screen on Gamepad and you're good.  No 3D but the 2DS already has that so it isn't an essential feature and Nintendo obviously doesn't feel the need to force you to use it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2014, 07:30:25 PM »
A 3/DS Player is the first thing I thought up when I first saw the Wii U. Seeing that Nintendo have since announced a DS VC for it, that pretty much confirms there won't be one, unfortunately. Or if there is one, it will just work with 3DS games. I also wonder if they could use the Wii U's streaming technology to just stream the image from an actual 3DS to the TV.

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2014, 08:50:13 PM »
your basing that assumption off the notion Nintendo wouldn't sell you the same game ten times, I think we have all proven that if there is one thing they are good at is getting us to keep rebuying the same game over and over.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »
your basing that assumption off the notion Nintendo wouldn't sell you the same game ten times, I think we have all proven that if there is one thing they are good at is getting us to keep rebuying the same game over and over.

I laughed and felt sad at the same time because, depending on the game, this is humorous irony or bitter frustration at the titles they WILL NOT port. (Majora's Mask)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »

I laughed and felt sad at the same time because, depending on the game, this is humorous irony or bitter frustration at the titles they WILL NOT port. (Majora's Mask)

I am not 100% for sure but wasn't Majora's Mask a bomb when it was new? As far as Zelda games go it was my least favorite, but I guess its one of those love it or hate it games apparently.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2014, 10:44:15 AM »
I imagine it sold decently just because at that point in the N64's life there was pretty much nothing else coming out and people had to take what they could get, but it probably did poorly comparatively to other big games. It's a very unconventional and divisive game; I've never played it myself, but I always admired them for doing something that different.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »
I imagine it sold decently just because at that point in the N64's life there was pretty much nothing else coming out and people had to take what they could get, but it probably did poorly comparatively to other big games. It's a very unconventional and divisive game; I've never played it myself, but I always admired them for doing something that different.

I doubt it was that simple, it required the expansion pack if I remember correctly and not everyone had that so sales potential was limited.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
Yeah, that probably played a role, but I'm pretty sure it was after Dk64 and Perfect Dark so I think most people who were still buying N64 games at that point already had (at least) one.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, who as we all know are never wrong, Majora's Mask sold 3.36 million copies worldwide. Pretty respectable, but only about half what Ocarina did.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:42:43 AM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
I know I didn't have one and out of all my friends who had a 64 only 1 did, he got it just for Majoras mask too. I didn't play the game much because I was trying to play them in order and I couldn't beat Ocarina of Time. But I am not the target audience, I lost interest in Zelda after ocarina because I felt they were just making too many of them and they are too similar. That is partly why I loved Hyrule Warriors so much.

It was different as far as the time crunch but game play wise it was still just more Zelda. I was also going to reference the Wiki article but then thought I wouldn't because VG Charts has a totally different number and I don't know who is more reputable because they both fudge the numbers. Also it wasn't clear if that number included Virtual Console and Collectors Disc sales or not. I assume not but you can't always make assumptions
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:49:35 AM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
I'd trust Wikipedia before VGChartz, but it's entirely possible they're both wrong. Still, I doubt it's incredibly far off. Multi-million selling's pretty good considering all the factors on that system at the time.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »
EDIT: According to Wikipedia, who as we all know are never wrong, Majora's Mask sold 3.36 million copies worldwide. Pretty respectable, but only about half what Ocarina did.
Wikipedia's source for this number is an article that talks about Nintendo's presence at the Games Developer Conference in 2004, wherein Nintendo discuss sales of the Zelda series. So I think it's highly likely that this 3.36 million figure is correct.