Poll

Will Nintendo pull off another 30 for 30 in Japan sales this year and, if so, how many times?

Yes. 1 time.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 2 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 3 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 4 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 5 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 6 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 7 times.
1 (9.1%)
Yes. 8 times.
0 (0%)
Yes. 9 times.
2 (18.2%)
Ninten-domination! 10 times or more that the top 30 goes to Nintendo Software.
4 (36.4%)
No. It doesn't happen once this year. Sony plays spoiler.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 16, 2023, 10:54:36 AM

Author Topic: Official Sales Thread  (Read 3153857 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Official Sales Thread
« Reply #9850 on: October 25, 2014, 12:54:03 AM »
couple of things I noticed, the PS4 has out sold Wii U 3 weeks in a row and appears to be steadily climbing in numbers and widening the gap week to week, closing the lifetime gap. Second, Mario Kart 8 is hanging in there while Destiny is just about gone while Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors already dropped off. Also PS Vita and Vita TV sales are lumped together, I seem to remember they used to be separate but I might be wrong.

I thought all versions of the same console were counted as 1 (New 3DS, 3DS and 3DS LL = 3DS). True ps4 is gaining on Wii U but if its only gaining on avg 2500-3500 consoles per week, by the time it catches Wii U in Japan it won't matter cause the Next Gen will have already began. I can't imagine what game that is already announced is gonna make folks buy a PS4 in droves over there...save for maybe Dragon Quest XI...which at this rate would be an iOS/android game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: October 25, 2014, 01:28:05 AM »
DQXI won't be a mobile game, if only because even with their premium App Store prices they couldn't get away with charging nearly as much as they could on an actual game system. The way I see it, there's about a 99% chance it'll be on 3DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »
couple of things I noticed, the PS4 has out sold Wii U 3 weeks in a row and appears to be steadily climbing in numbers and widening the gap week to week, closing the lifetime gap. Second, Mario Kart 8 is hanging in there while Destiny is just about gone while Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors already dropped off. Also PS Vita and Vita TV sales are lumped together, I seem to remember they used to be separate but I might be wrong.

I thought all versions of the same console were counted as 1 (New 3DS, 3DS and 3DS LL = 3DS). True ps4 is gaining on Wii U but if its only gaining on avg 2500-3500 consoles per week, by the time it catches Wii U in Japan it won't matter cause the Next Gen will have already began. I can't imagine what game that is already announced is gonna make folks buy a PS4 in droves over there...save for maybe Dragon Quest XI...which at this rate would be an iOS/android game.
If memory serves they will split the versions if there are big differences initially then put them back together as time moves on.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #9853 on: October 25, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »

its been out less than a year and has been picking up steam week to week, the holidays are right around the corner, it won't be one single game, why do people think it has to be ONE game to get people interested in the console, it will have dozens of games that is kind of why its selling so well here.

It will have Street Fighter, it will have Castlevania, it will have pretty much everything Sega releases, those are all popular in Japan even if they aren't so much here. Nintendo's strategy is win everyone with every big game, Sony's strategy has always been just flood the market with as many games as they can and win everyone. weekly sales are barely above Wii U, but YTD is nearly DOUBLE, so it will not only catch up it will surpass it.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: October 25, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »
The issue with the PS4 in the short term is there's almost nothing on it you can't get on the previous gen systems. Even despite that, though, it's outselling systems with at least a few exclusives (Xbox One) and what is at this point a really substantial and deep exclusive library (Wii U).

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #9855 on: October 25, 2014, 11:48:18 AM »
all the talk about console gaming is based on a few recent trends, the Japanese culture as a whole tend to be very tech friendly and as technology goes PS4 has that. The larger gamer population might have moved on to mobile but they might still have room for a dedicated console, the PS3 certainly hasn't had any trouble finding an audience over there, and it was a beast when it launched.

In the interest of being fair, I will say this, PS4 does have fewer actual exclusives at the moment, but it does have several in the works that should get people talking. Also it is still compatible with PSN which is where the library is perfectly mature already.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:49:56 AM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: October 25, 2014, 12:28:31 PM »
It's not compatible with PSN outside things specifically built for the system. There's some good stuff there, but almost nothing exclusive. I do think the PS4 has the most reason to be optimistic about the future, but in the here and now it's easily the worst of the three.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: October 25, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »
I mean, the PS4 has been beating the Wii U in Japan, for a couple of weeks, in a race of cripples. I believe the PS4 has recently fallen behind the trajectory of the Dreamcast as well. Persona 5 is going to be cross gen for a reason. The Japanese console scene just isn't looking good in general, and we'll be lucky if the US doesn't catch up in that regard.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: October 25, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »
There actually is a Dragon Quest game coming to the PS4, though it's also going to PS3 and it isn't a mainline game. It's called Dragon Quest Heroes, and has no relation to the DS game of a similar title. It might still sell some PS4s even though it isn't exclusive.

Dragon Quest XI has already been announced, but not for a specific platform, just that it's coming to "home consoles." So it won't be on phones, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got moved/ported to 3DS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9859 on: October 25, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
How did the Wii Dragon Quest sell? Wasn't there a Wii U upgraded version they released as well? Perhaps Nintendo will drop a pile of money to get it on their system.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: October 25, 2014, 05:19:19 PM »
I don't see any way it's not on the 3DS unless it skips dedicated game hardware altogether. It's historically come to the best selling system, and in Japan that is by a wide margin the Nintendo 3DS.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9861 on: October 25, 2014, 05:35:51 PM »
The man who pretty much owns the franchise wants it playable on a big screen, so I'd wager 3DS/PSsomething (preferably 3).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9862 on: October 25, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »
They could pull a Monster Hunter and release it for both 3DS and Wii U as effectively the same game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: October 25, 2014, 10:15:15 PM »
Well it doesn't look like any store in my area (Walmart/Kmart/Gamestop/BestBuy) is going carry Bayonetta 2 in-store.  Damn shame Nintendo didn't try to market this game better.

On the upside, Playboy seemed to promote the game better than even Nintendo themshelves.  http://www.playboy.com/galleries/pamela-horton-nintendo-bayonetta/slide-1
-----------

BTW:  my preorder copy is "missing".  it's not like I'm in a big rush but damn why ME!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9864 on: October 26, 2014, 12:10:03 AM »
Well it doesn't look like any store in my area (Walmart/Kmart/Gamestop/BestBuy) is going carry Bayonetta 2 in-store.  Damn shame Nintendo didn't try to market this game better.

The original Bayonetta was given a bigger marketing push by Sega and was released on two systems with userbases much bigger then the Wii U, and yet it still did poorly and was selling at bargin bin prices less then 2 months after release.  Not hard to see why Bayonetta 2's shipment is so low.

Bayonetta like Platinums other games just don't have mass market appeal.  Nintendo could have spent 100 million on marketing and released a PS4/One version as well and the end result would still be the same.  Niche games are going to be niche no matter what.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #9865 on: October 26, 2014, 10:20:02 PM »
Seems were not going to carry it at the store I work at either.....It makes me wonder what's going to happen with Scalebound. I've sort of came to peace with the fact that Platnuim will always make great bombs though i'd like to see them sell out at least just once.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: October 27, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
Went to the Best Buy in South Philly and they were either Sold Out or never had a copy. I'll go to the gamestop up the street from the house and see if they have it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: October 27, 2014, 02:06:13 PM »
Nintendo probably had low expectations for Bayonetta 2 based on things like the sales of the first game, so they probably didn't produce very many copies for the initial run.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9868 on: October 27, 2014, 05:56:37 PM »
That worries me. I might have to bump up my timeline for buying the game if there is a chance it could become scarce early. I was hoping to pull a Metroid Prime Trilogy and snag it for $20 before everyone realized it was going out of print.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: October 27, 2014, 06:01:13 PM »
Nah, I think they'll continue to print it for a while, they'll just do so in small batches. It isn't like Nintendo have anything else with which to fill shelves.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9870 on: October 27, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »
Nintendo probably had low expectations for Bayonetta 2 based on things like the sales of the first game, so they probably didn't produce very many copies for the initial run.

I have to imagine we're seeing a Xenoblade-level print run for Bayonetta 2, considering the thing bombed in Japan and the first game didn't sell that great, either.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: October 28, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »
That's a lot less of a problem in this case given the option of buying it digitally, though.

J.P. Corbran

« Reply #9872 on: October 28, 2014, 12:26:02 PM »
you and your new fangled digital ways, nobody wants to hear that talk when there are massive resell profits to be had.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: October 29, 2014, 05:12:50 AM »
Your quarterly doom has returned:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/141029e.pdf

"Consolidated Results for the Six Months Ended September 2013 and 2014"

NET SALES: 171.3 billion yen (1.584 billion USD)
OPERATING INCOME: -215.0 million yen (1.98 million USD)
ORDINARY INCOME: 22.1 billion yen (205.2 million USD)
NET INCOME: 14.3 billion yen (132.2 million USD)

OPERATING INCOME FORECAST: 40.0 billion yen (370.2 million USD)
NET INCOME FORECAST: 20.0 billion yen (185.1 million USD)

Nintendo has operated at a loss of 215 million yen, but due to the depreciating yen it has posted a net income of 14.3 billion yen.

Nintendo 3DS:
HARDWARE
-----
Japan - 720,000
Americas - 690,000
Other - 680,000

World total - 2,090,000
Fiscal year ending on Mar '15 forecast - 12,000,000

LTD - 45,420,000

SOFTWARE
-----
Japan - 9,790,000
Americas - 7,070,000
Other - 6,440,000

World total - 23,300,000
Forecast - 67,000,000

LTD - 186,220,000

Wii U:
HARDWARE
-----
Japan - 170,000
Americas - 630,000
Other - 320,000

World total - 1,120,000
Forecast - 3,600,000

LTD - 7,290,000

SOFTWARE
-----
Japan - 1,340,000
Americas - 5,600,000
Other - 2,460,000

World total - 9,400,000
Forecast - 20,000,000

LTD - 41,670,000

Nintendo has a history of selling substantially more products during the year-end holidays which explains the aggressive hardware and software forecasts.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: October 29, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »
This holiday season looks almost promising. Doubling sales vs. last year (abysmal sales true) leads to a nice HW sold number if this trend holds.