Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey Spoiler Thread - Spoilers here or I'll punch your face in.  (Read 9801 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Not really. Ban you is more likely. >:( (But not until I've made sure to re-post the spoilers in Phil's non-spoiler thread :evil; )

You want a spoiler thread for Mario Odyssey. Here it is. Go nuts. Post a map for every moon and the thousands of pictures you took for every inch of the game with the in-game camera. It's a spoiler zone in here. Just don't post them any where else, I tells ya!

If there's any problems in this thread, call Insanolord to come moderate. He likes spoilers. (like Trindad and Tobago ;D ) Peace out. I'll check in on this thread in a year or so. Maybe even sooner depending on when I actually get this.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Yeah, call on me to moderate things after I take away Khush's mod powers for that Trinidad & Tobago crack.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Spoiler alert: I just got the game!
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
I was going to wait to get this til December since I have a week off then, but my lack of willpower got the best of me.  I'll be picking this up after work today from my nearest gamestop assuming they'll give me the $60 for my old phone their website says they will.

Maybe I'll get Horizon: Zero dawn this December instead.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
HOLY CRAP! Mario's hat is DESTROYED!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
RIP Mario's hat
1981 - 2017
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Bowser is really out for blood this time.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Got in 2 solid play sessions so far.  Game is so freaking good.

One thing I liked in the Sand Kingdom is that I found a small room where a guy told me there was a moon that I could find using the HD rumble.  Later, after finding that moon, I see a little doggie who leads me somewhere, where I notice the same rumble.  I ground pound, like in the little room earlier, and there's another moon.  Even later, I'm just walking around when I feel another rumbling, ground pound, and find another moon.

That particular progression of moons basically taught me that 1) you can find moons via rumble and ground pounds, then 2) you can find them any where in the level.

Also I was surprised in how little the lede was burried.  You get to be a T-Rex very early on in the game.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Dang, that was a great game! This is a cliche, but it really felt like the ultimate 3D Mario. Some random highlights:

• Mario comforting Bowser after they both get rejected
  • The Mario 64 Skin in the Mushroom Kingdom
  • The WaLuigi costume's notes saying it is barely used! MORE WALUIGI
  • The trees with Tanooki tails
  • The currency on the moon being star bits!
  • The Moons in the Mushroom Kingdom being stars
  • Peach leaving to take a tour of the world
  • The rainy night in New Donk City. Perhaps the best looking thing I've seen on Switch so far
  • Everyone coming to the wedding
  • Capturing a frog on the moon and jumping that high
  • Of course, the T-Rex

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Made it to the latter two kingdoms where the first is a boss rush and unlocks subsequent Moons to find, hint arts to view, and remixed challenge rooms to complete (some of which are just insanely challenging). I have been to the final kingdom yet as I want to go back to previous kingdoms to collect Moons.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Has anyone been playing the Koopa races? They really make you think about how to best use Mario's abilities to reach the goal as quickly as possible.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
Crouch and roll with waggle, crouch and roll with waggle.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
I’m just about finished the Luncheon Kingdom (currently my least favorite, Cloud Kingdom notwithstanding since it really isn’t one). My approach to Super Mario Odyssey is basically to run though each stage without a set strategy to see what I can do on my own. I can usually find most if not all purple coins (maybe like 3 or 4 stragglers) through aimless wandering and way more Power Moons than are needed to proceed. Once I feel like I’ve explored and run around enough, I’ll look up hints to get the rest. Some of the Talkatoo hints are useless, but that’s what the internet is for.

I used the Talkatoo glitch to get the Jump Rope Genius Power Moon (notably before Nintendo patches it) because **** that noise. I was able to complete Jump Rope Hero without the glitch, but 100 jumps is asinine. The glitch is a bit tough to pull off though I still probably spent less time getting it right than I would have practicing the jumps. I only skipped two Power Moons: the second Beach Volleyball one and the second Bounding Race one. I got to like 56 volleys in the former, and I just didn’t try the second race. I’ll circle back later and get those. I’ve read the second volleyball Power Moon is easier in two player mode, leaving Mario off the court and using Cappie.

I’ve read criticisms that Super Mario Odyssey is full of padding. I don’t really see it that way. A lot of the “padding” Power Moons are on the way to more interesting ones. I think the purpose of those moons is to encourage players to look everywhere beyond just how graphically gorgeous the game is. Still, some are weirdly obtuse in which you have to ground pound an area without any real indication that you should. The vast majority of Power Moons are given explicitly laid out goals.

I appreciate the attention to detail in the game. Mario shivers in the cold. He stops shivering once you equip the Snow Suit and Snow Hood. It doesn’t add anything to the gameplay. If anything, it shows how much the developers cared when making the game. Those little touches that may go completely unnoticed or under-appreciated collectively add to Super Mario Odyssey’s overall personality.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
People are complaining about the Power Moons just laying out in the open, but they make it easier for the less skilled players to clear a world.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Yeah, that’s a silly complaint. For most of the Power Moons you can physically see, you still have to figure out how to get there.

Additionally, there are Power Moons that are so difficult I start questioning my existence. I think there’s a good balance.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Just completed it today, all the moons and all the other moons, all caught on live tape. Definitely gotta say, might be my favorite 3D Mario game out there. Yeah, moons are different from stars, but at the same time, there's a lot of tough moons out there. A lot of easy ones. If you're just trying to get to the end, then those easy ones should do it for you. If you're looking for more of a challenge, finding them all is fun. It's more or less choose-your-own difficulty working very well.

Also, I've found I'm not as fast as Mop it up when it comes to initial and/or early Koopa Freerunning times.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I completed the main story last night. The final boss was pretty great with a nice bit of fan service being able to capture Bowser and bulldoze through the escape. He’s so unbelievably overpowered that it seems strange that Mario ever defeats him. I don’t want to think too hard about this.

A lot of the end game was spoiled for me from just being on the internet so I was aware that like half the total Power Moons “unlock” upon defeating Bowser. The game itself “spoils” Mushroom Kingdom through a portrait warp in a main story kingdom which was not spoiled for me otherwise. Not a huge deal though it would have been better as a complete surprise to players.

I have over 600 Power Moons. I’m trying to decide whether to go back and collect more or start a new game. I haven’t touched Axiom Verge since it arrived last Tuesday.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:43:42 AM by Adrock »

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Speaking of the Mushroom Kingdom, it would be fun to have a full village similar to the opening non-accessible area in Mario Galaxy.  I've always wanted to go there and see what the toads are up to in their normal lives.

What a game!  I had the most fun just exploring and finding areas to platform to.  Like Sunshine, the levels are as much playgrounds as puzzles.  Yoshi was still kind of a drag/liability in 3D, but not too bad.  The pointer tongue in Galaxy 2 made him more useful and interesting.

I started methodically finding all the moons in levels after beating the main story, which is a lot less fun.  I see now that the game really doesn't require you to get many for the full experience.  After 500, there isn't much that changes, so it is more enjoyable to just play casually.  As usual, the hardest platforming challenges are a lot of fun because the controls are a joy.  That even goes for the races, where I normally hate time trials in games.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I wish there was a little more to Mushroom Kingdom too though it was still fun.

Unrelated: i didn’t die enough to drastically reduce my coins. I usually could pick some up after dying. I had over 7000 coins at the end of the game, bought many of the hats and outfits available post final boss yet I still have like 10 more to buy. Yikes. That’s going to take a while.
That even goes for the races, where I normally hate time trials in games.
I’m not a fan of time trials either. I’ve been mostly avoiding the races though I tried the ones in Mushroom Kingdom which were actually pretty easy due to the abundance of Rocket Flowers. I feel like most of these would simply make me incredibly angry.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
I loved the Koopa Races since they really encourage you to find a way to break certain stages.  Some of them are frustrating at first but when you finally pull off a triple jump followed by a Cappy dive jump into another dive at the right spot to bypass half the stage and just completely smoke the computer feels so very satisfying.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Seriously, **** that last Bear Bounding race.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
This sounds genius to me.  The game enough power moons that anyone can beat the game and a huge variety that if you hate a certain type of gameplay you can skip it. 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I actually retried a Koopa Race several times to perfect a shortcut. The elated feeling I had from succeeding didn’t make up for how infuriating the numerous prior failures were so I’m probably going to skip the Master Cups from now on.

Also, the stores sell you unlimited Power Moons. There are like ~880 Power Moons to collect (only one Power Moon has to be bought per kingdom to check it off the collectible list though I’ve unlocked but haven’t been to Dark Side of the Moon or Darker Side so I’m not sure if they have stores) and the counter caps at 999. So after that ~880, you can pad your Power Moon count to 999. I spent 2500 coins worth of Power Moons before I looked this up. That’s some bullshit Nintendo should have done a better job of communicating. It’s just going to take a little longer to get like one or two outfits. Had I known, I wouldn’t have wasted all those coins. Boo/hiss
Seriously, **** that last Bear Bounding race.
Yes. This is true.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:46:00 AM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
I can at least see the decision behind the Koopa Races. I’m not a fan of timed trials, but I get that other people are.

There are two types of goals I can’t get behind: trace walking and sheep herding. Why are these things the game? They’re forgivable sins in a game that gets almost everything else right.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
There are two types of goals I can’t get behind: trace walking and sheep herding. Why are these things the game? They’re forgivable sins in a game that gets almost everything else right.

Trace walking is terrible but it's over relatively quickly. Sheep herding, specially that final moon in the Mushroom Kingdom can go **** itself.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV