Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 217292 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #300 on: March 19, 2009, 04:11:31 AM »
"I cannot come up with any legitimate reason that an adult would be playing [Animal Crossing: City Folk]" says Andy Anderson, Mid-Missouri Internet Crimes Task Force.
Okay, why do I feel like this is an insult? Could it be because I own this game, or is there more to it then that? What type of game should an adult play, one with blood and gore and killing and sex? Or are all videogames nothing but children's toys that should be put away once a person grows up?

Way to go Andy Anderson, the guy so idiotic they named you twice. You've not only made clear your vast ignorance of videogames, but have effectively insulted any adult who plays them, which if I recall correctly is at least 50% of players. Congratulations.

I have to give him credit though, at least he wasn't sexist by saying something like "adult male" ;) .
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 19, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »
True, although this further exposes his ignorance. If he had seen the advertisements for Animal Crossing, which depict adult females enjoying the game, he would have known that they are a part of the game's target audience.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2009, 05:44:47 PM »
<sarcasm>    A pinnacle of videogame journalism </sarcasm>
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2009, 06:20:59 PM »
<sarcasm>   A pinnacle of videogame journalism </sarcasm>

What the HELL is he talking about? I have no idea what the article is about.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2009, 07:09:31 PM »
It's a blog. Random, pointless thoughts is what a blog is for.

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »
<sarcasm>    A pinnacle of videogame journalism </sarcasm>

What the HELL is he talking about? I have no idea what the article is about.

To be fair though, it's a blag.  Blags are supposed to be illogical, poorly-written rants, with little connection to anything but how the author felt after his latest bowel movement.

A blag written by a game journalist though... shudder...

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 30, 2009, 12:57:45 AM »
A bit meta...

Some choice out of context quotes:

This year's rant, "Burned by Friendly Fire: Game Critics Rant," turned the mic over to game journalists instead of developers. Heather Chaplin, author of Smartbomb offered tough words for the gaming industry. "I've been covering the games industry for eight years, mainly for mainstream outlets, and I often find myself acting as a translator," Chaplin said.

"It's not that the medium is in its adolescence, it's that you're a bunch of ****ing adolescents," she said. "It's even worse because you're technically supposed to be adults." Chaplin traced the paucity of more mature content in games to four basic ideas that frighten men the most: responsibility, introspection, intimacy, and intellectual discovery.

N'Gai Croal, a newly-minted game consultant and former Newsweek editor, lamented the gaming press for validating distinctions between "hardcore" and "casual."...He encouraged everyone in the audience to Google the phrase "taxonomy of games" to begin unpacking the great array of different play styles and experiences. Croal hoped that one day we'll be able to talk about "tourist" players versus "skill" players or "perfectionists" versus "completionists."

EDIT: Now with 100 percent more quotes!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:02:04 AM by Djunknown »
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 30, 2009, 02:07:07 AM »
As someone who regularly engages in the use of the "hardcore" terminology, I am also to blame... T_T

The terminology is so powerful though! It's so hard not to be caught up in its romance, its call-to-arms, its immediacy, and its ability to define a picture of a type of gamer, true or not.

... Now I know how those demagogues feel when they talk about the good 'ol halcyon days...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #308 on: March 30, 2009, 03:02:39 AM »
You know, I would have bashed Games Radar if I spoke at that keynote.

That site is a great example of adolescent behavior. Its understandable that they want to be humorous, but when they do things like articles on missing genitalia something is wrong...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 30, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »
http://www.xboxist.com/xbox-360/news/is-madworld-selling-poorly-on-the-wii-010119.php

<facepalm>
"The good news is that Platinum Games still has a potential hit on their hands. All they need to do is port the title over to the Xbox 360 and PS3 (it can even be sold as a digital download) and they will easily find thousands of hardcore gamers willing to part with their money."
</facepalm>

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/features/game-types/fighting-games/comment-why-madworld-bombing-at-retail--$1284341.htm

Dear gamezine UK, the only reason why Madworld is doing poorly in Europe is because PG/SEGA Europe screwed up the PAL conversion. Mature games do sell on Wii, take for instance House of the Dead:Overkill, it did fairly poorly in North America, but it's selling well in Europe which also includes the UK.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #310 on: March 30, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »
MadWorld without motion controls turn the game into button-activated cutscenes.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 30, 2009, 03:43:53 PM »
Isn't this  what the majority of PS3 and XBOX360 fans want though?  ;)

<facepalm>
"The good news is that Platinum Games still has a potential hit on their hands. All they need to do is port the title over to the Xbox 360 and PS3 (it can even be sold as a digital download) and they will easily find thousands of hardcore gamers willing to part with their money."
</facepalm>
In other words, Xbox Fanboy Wankery wants Platnium to rebuild the Madworld engine for the PS3/360 and gut the game's indentity in order to show "NAH NAH HARDCOREZ GAMEZ DON'T SELL ON WII!!11".

Hmm...
Quote from: 'What those morons are really saying is'
"The good news is that Platinum Games still has a potential hit on their hands. All they need to do is completely gut the fun out of a Wii built game and make a control scheme more complicated and they will easily find thousands of hardcore gamers willing to part with their money. Problem is we won't buy it anyway, we just want to talk **** about the Wii because we can. At least we have Final Fantasy XIII!"
Fixed.

Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »
Is anyone here honestly shocked?  Would you expect anything different from a site called xboxist.com?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #313 on: March 30, 2009, 04:33:14 PM »
Honestly, no.

The last time I was shocked by the gaming 'media' was when I saw GERSTMANN Wii Bowl from a couch.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #314 on: March 30, 2009, 04:45:18 PM »
Also, Wii matoor game sales are low because they're bought by informed, responsible citizens.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2009, 06:36:41 PM »
Haha the one comment on the Xboxist Madworld article sums it up:

Comments
Are we begging for Madworld now?

Posted by: Obo | March 30, 2009 02:12 PM
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2009, 06:45:05 AM »
The reason Madworld is failing at retail is because customers do not like artsy games. The game wouldn't sell on any system.

Malstrom''s theory was that the game has no purpose, BTW. The Conduit has the purpose of giving Wii owners a good entry in the FPS genre but what's the point of Madworld? Random violence?

Hey, God of War is getting a fourth game already.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #317 on: March 31, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »
While I still think its too early to call the game a flop I agree that anyone who believed this would be a million seller in a month is being foolish and naive.

Like its been mentioned, this title is a game that's being aimed at a niche core audience, and that only makes up a small part of the Wii audience. Its a brand new IP with no real past or present. These games take a while to get noticed in the market. Then there's the fact that its an M-rated title with weird graphics. While the violence might be enticing the whole thing might only appeal to a few (I showed the game to my nephew who loves these types of games and the first thing he said was "Its in black and white?").

Even if this was made for the 360 and PS3 it would still sell slowly. In fact, I think it would be harder for it to get recognized thanks to all the better, more popular mature titles on the system.

Many hyped, M rated games didn't sell as well as expected on the 360 and PS3. For example, in the unofficial sales charts "Afro Samurai", a game that was hyped, received a lot of ads on TV and is based on an anime franchise, debuted on the top ten one week. Then dropped badly by the second week. And note that this was a bloody, mature title that was designed with the 360 and PS3 in mind.

So while I still think that Madworld can go on to become a sleeper hit I also think its silly to believe that the title would become a million seller right off the bat.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #318 on: March 31, 2009, 01:30:58 PM »
I can only speak for myself and a small group of friends, but I didn't buy MadWorld once I heard how short it was. 4 hours is just too short for me to invest $50, sorry Platinum. After renting, I enjoyed the game, but I was definitely glad I didn't spend full price on it.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 31, 2009, 01:33:29 PM »
Honestly, no.

The last time I was shocked by the gaming 'media' was when I saw GERSTMANN Wii Bowl from a couch.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #320 on: March 31, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
*In a Cleveland Brown voice

Now that's just nasty...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 31, 2009, 10:53:41 PM »
I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned any Game FAQS reviews at all. Then again, it's non-professional, but some reviews are always good for a laugh.

Or a facepalm.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 01, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »
GameFAQs is GameFAQs. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 01, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
True, but for face value and review honesty, GameFAQs is about 10% more honest in their reviews (from fans, no less) then the professional media is.

It just houses alot of Final Fantasy fanboys and they always run that stupid  character content poll.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 22, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »
Ok, this one is getting pretty interesting.  Here's the Joystiq review for ExciteBots that just went up.  The reviewer was totally busted for having no idea there was an online component to the game.  He's sounds so depressed in the video too, probably played it 10-15 mins tops.

Here's the comments section where he's outed:
Dopple Boppler
Have you played wifi for this David? Because from the other reviews I've read that's really where the game sounds like it shines.

David Hinkle
Nope, no online, sadly. I would've mentioned it in the review. :)

Cody
Wait David,
You're stating there's no online in the game? Or you didn't have access to go online from whereever you were reviewing the game at? Because both seem questionable (teh inturnetz are everywhere!).
We all know the former is not true, as it is very clear this game has an online component, so if the latter is the case, why not state that in the review instead of the complete lack of acknowledgment of the the online aspect of the game?

Moptimus Slime (Play me out, Keyboard Cat)
he meant he would have mentioned his online experience in the review IF HE HAD ONE

Cody
....right Moptimus, and what I'm trying to discover is WHY he didn't have one.

D_Average
His statement only makes sense if he thought there was no online. If he knew there was online and didn't try it he would have said:

"Nope, didn't try online, too lazy. I would've mentioned it in the review. :)"

Fernando Rocker
The answer why he didn't plya online is very easy... he didn't play enough to be able to play online.

Fernando Rocker
David... you need to complete School Cup to unlock the WiFi mode... I bet that's the reason why you didn't play online...

So... you basically are reviewing a game without having played a lot.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....