Author Topic: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'  (Read 218735 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: The PATHETIC state of the gaming 'media'
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »
Maybe we should turn this thread into "The PATHETIC state of game reviewer personalities"? ;D

If this turns into a Kairon bashing thread you're all banned.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
I'm safe then, because I won't do it.  ;)
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »

Oh come on, do you think anyone would bother bashing you when we got Lindy and co?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2009, 03:39:02 PM »
Maybe we should turn this thread into "The PATHETIC state of game reviewer personalities"? ;D

Can you imagine Kairon doing all the reviews? HORRIFYING.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »

Can you imagine Kairon doing all the reviews? HORRIFYING.

What's so horrifying about Sprung getting a 10.0?

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »
UbiSoft published it?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »
My dear, dear, reader... I have done you a disservice. I have neglected to review my personal copy of Ener-G Dance squad. *smiles sweetly*

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2009, 10:45:49 PM »
Today is a GLORIOUS day for the gamming media.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2009, 02:08:33 AM »
To give GI the benifit of the doubt, the general rule (personally for me anyway) is to respect the person's opinion. However, there is a fine line between "game review" and outright insult. The Paper Mario 2 "review" from GI, and basically their entire GCN disposistion as a whole, was one big fat middle finger from them to the entire Nintendo fanbase.

True, I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, when they say it's a well made game, but give it a 6.5 or whatever they gave because it's Paper Mario? It's idiotic. I totally agree it was a middle finger to Nintendo.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2009, 02:56:54 AM »
I find it funny how Paper Mario is now considered one of the N64's best games, but back then it was too kiddy for its own good...

In 10 or 20 years people will hail Wii Music as a brilliant masterpiece. Quote me on this...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2009, 05:13:28 PM »
Fact:  People are afraid of change. 

When Paper Mario came out people were hoping for a more traditional Super Mario RPG experience...and they did not get that.  The graphics scared them away...and the gameplay didn't matter that it advanced the original Mario RPG...all that mattered is that it appeared kiddie.

The same thing happened with Wind Waker and scores for it were lowered in many cases as well.  People hate Nintendo for supposedly making the same sequels all the time but when they do something different and bold they also get in trouble.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »

When Paper Mario came out people were hoping for a more traditional Super Mario RPG experience...and they did not get that.  The graphics scared them away...and the gameplay didn't matter that it advanced the original Mario RPG...all that mattered is that it appeared kiddie.

Technically the gameplay of Paper Mario is based off of and a refinement of Super Mario RPG hell the Alpha Dream Mario and Luigi RPGs are the same exact format of Paper Mario. M&L and Super Mario RPG are both isometric, feature variable heights. The main difference between Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG are graphical styles and the type of 2d plain they use. So the evolution of the Mario RPG series isn't as dramatic as you think
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »
I think the main "issue" with Super Paper Mario is that people were for some reason or another expecting a straight-up Mario platformer, even though the game was clearly shown to be an ARPG...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
I think the main "issue" with Super Paper Mario is that people were for some reason or another expecting a straight-up Mario platformer, even though the game was clearly shown to be an ARPG...

But it's the best of both worlds it's a platformer and a action rpg!
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2009, 07:54:40 PM »
Just to clarify, it wasn't Super Paper Mario that they were talking about. It was Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door. I'd understand if people were upset about Super Paper Mario if they didn't know the Paper Mario series was RPG based. The problem is, this was a game that was open about what it was, had enjoyable gameplay, but was scored low because of what it looked like.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:11:14 PM by TheNorthSea »
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2009, 02:33:56 AM »

When Paper Mario came out people were hoping for a more traditional Super Mario RPG experience...and they did not get that.  The graphics scared them away...and the gameplay didn't matter that it advanced the original Mario RPG...all that mattered is that it appeared I am a terrible poaster. .

The same thing happened with Wind Waker and scores for it were lowered in many cases as well.  People hate Nintendo for supposedly making the same sequels all the time but when they do something different and bold they also get in trouble.

Which is exactly what is going on right now with the Wii. People are scared that Nintendo's successful strategy might change gaming forever, one where the core fanbase is NOT the primary business focus.

So afraid that people are trying to fight back, criticize the idea and seeing everything through a negative light.

But rest assured in 30 years people will look at this generation and seeing it as a great one.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2009, 02:40:57 AM »
30 days maybe

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2009, 02:48:47 PM »
30 days maybe
NinGurl69 speaks the honest truth yet again.

Just to clarify, it wasn't Super Paper Mario that they were talking about. It was Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door. I'd understand if people were upset about Super Paper Mario if they didn't know the Paper Mario series was RPG based. The problem is, this was a game that was open about what it was, had enjoyable gameplay, but was scored low for looking kiddy.
TRUE FACT:

Kiddy is a noun, not a verb. So therefore calling Paper Mario 2 a "kid" or anything made by Nintendo as such is deemed massively f'ed up.

Super Paper Mario also shits over Tales Of Symphonia as my favorite RPG ever. I'm serious.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »
Super Paper Mario was one of the worst Nintendo experiences I've ever had.  =D

Slow, unexciting platforming, and mountains of dull dialogue between the slow, unexciting platforming -- further reasoning that Nintendo can't be trusted with voice acting.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2009, 03:03:05 PM »
Super Paper Mario was one of the worst Nintendo experiences I've ever had.  =D

Slow, unexciting platforming, and mountains of dull dialogue between the slow, unexciting platforming -- further reasoning that Nintendo can't be trusted with voice acting.

Says the fan of Killer 7.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2009, 03:10:48 PM »
Pressing A to walk   >  Super Paper Mario

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2009, 03:25:34 PM »
I find it funny how Paper Mario is now considered one of the N64's best games, but back then it was too I am a terrible poaster.  for its own good...

In 10 or 20 years people will hail Wii Music as a brilliant masterpiece. Quote me on this...

I recall it being regarded rather fondly at the time.  It gets an 88.5% rating on GameRankings which is very respectable.  Anyone who crapped on it at the time was usually someone who just crapped on the N64 period.  It was Sony fanboys who thought it was for kids.  But Nintendo fans and most reviewers thought it was great.

Wii Music on the other hand got mostly negative reviews and gets crapped on by many Nintendo fans and Wii owners.  I don't think it makes sense to compare it to Paper Mario's reception.  Paper Mario was just another misunderstood masterpiece at a time where anyone who didn't specifically follow Nintendo wrote them off and at that point any Nintendo console game was getting written off.  If anything it was unknown or ignored more than crapped on.  If Wii Music is later regarded as a misunderstood classic that will be very exceptional.  It is much more unpopular than almost any other Nintendo game.  It is not a wallflower game, it's outright infamous.

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2009, 03:26:43 PM »

TRUE FACT:

I am a terrible poaster.  is a noun, not a verb. So therefore calling Paper Mario 2 a "kid" or anything made by Nintendo as such is deemed massively f'ed up.

Super Paper Mario also ****s over Tales Of Symphonia as my favorite RPG ever. I'm serious.

I'm guessing k**** has a word filter on it. I only brought it up because that's what people always slam Nintendo with. I'm not saying that Super Paper Mario 2 was. I like the way it looks. That's just what came across in the review, and I think it's stupid.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2009, 03:27:59 PM »
I find it funny how Paper Mario is now considered one of the N64's best games, but back then it was too I am a terrible poaster.  for its own good...

I recall it being regarded rather fondly at the time.  It gets an 88.5% rating on GameRankings which is very respectable.  Anyone who crapped on it at the time was usually someone who just crapped on the N64 period.  It was Sony fanboys who thought it was for kids.  But Nintendo fans and most reviewers thought it was great.

Wii Music on the other hand got mostly negative reviews and gets crapped on by many Nintendo fans and Wii owners.  I don't think it makes sense to compare it to Paper Mario's reception.  Paper Mario was just another misunderstood masterpiece at a time where anyone who didn't specifically follow Nintendo wrote them off and at that point any Nintendo console game was getting written off.  If anything it was unknown or ignored more than crapped on.  If Wii Music is later regarded as a misunderstood classic that will be very exceptional.  It is much more unpopular than almost any other Nintendo game.  It is not a wallflower game, it's outright infamous.

Wii Music has mixed reviews Ian. Shows how your perception blinds you to the truth. Some hated it some really liked it.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2009, 05:12:59 PM »
I'm guessing k**** has a word filter on it. I only brought it up because that's what people always slam Nintendo with. I'm not saying that Super Paper Mario 2 was. I like the way it looks. That's just what came across in the review, and I think it's stupid.
Sorry if I came across as slamming you, but using the word in the "Nintendo is teh kiddie" context has always pissed me off.

Guess I'm a terrible poaster now. Hooray!

Wii Music has mixed reviews Ian. Shows how your perception blinds you to the truth. Some hated it some really liked it.
Did they review it properly though?