Author Topic: Not to be that guy...  (Read 7089 times)

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Not to be that guy...
« on: February 01, 2022, 07:15:36 AM »
But the site seems to be pretty dead forum wise nowadays, is that just a similar story to me? Found that discord was just easier and moved on? Or just natural progression.
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Not to be that guy...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 11:52:49 AM »
No, it is pretty quiet here these days. Sometimes there will be a topic that seems to spring up some discussion and life like the Microsoft buying Activision Talkback thread. But sadly, discussion moves pretty slowly and sparsely as the forums are no longer a check-in every day routine for most people. Perhaps some newer forums would help. I've brought up and even offered to help throw in a cash bonus to help sort of "pay wages" for someone that could take the time to do that but progress seems to keep stalling.

According to the higher ups on staff, the site gets most of its visibility and traffic through its YouTube videos. The podcasts also seem to reach a bit more of an audience and the Podcast Discussion forum often seems to be the most active these days. Unfortunately, many that comment on the podcasts don't really broaden out to the other parts of the forum for posting.

There has definitely been a sort of migration to Discord in that many forum regulars can be found there but it often seems to be a small group that do any regular chatting on it and those people aren't really the same people that did a lot of regular posting here. It is what it is.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 02:08:03 PM »
All the kids use TikTok nowadays.

With all the consolidation of people to apps people don't really explore the web anymore.
They just stay in their loop on Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, and TikTok.

Back in the day websites had affiliate programs. In the links to most websites there were links to other similar websites. There are a few youtubers who have links to other channels and this works really well.

People like to share memes, videos, pictures, and new articles, but they don't ever share links to communities.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 09:41:25 PM »
I know for me I have a part time job online so I am focusing on that and getting time to adult as well and just enjoy games so posting on here isn't really as high as a priority when I had all the time in the world and I wasn't really doing much with my life.

Also as Perm noted most folks are on apps and have their own bases to cultivate and grow so dedicated sites unless someone is already apart of it it doesn't get much focus.   Also with apps and everything a persons time is split even more with different kinds of entertainment.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 01:27:54 AM »
With all the consolidation of people to apps people don't really explore the web anymore.
They just stay in their loop on Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, and TikTok.

Back in the day websites had affiliate programs. In the links to most websites there were links to other similar websites. There are a few youtubers who have links to other channels and this works really well.

People like to share memes, videos, pictures, and new articles, but they don't ever share links to communities.

Yep. I feel it was like around 10 years ago, there was an article about how the Internet/Web was dead in the sense that the internet from like 1995-2005 had fallen away and was replaced by just a few sites that people just checked in with over and over like the loop you mention. Back then, I remember you could see all kinds of fansites for TV Shows like 60's Batman or MASH as examples. People would make these websites on their own of stuff they were fans of or create their own Geocities page for people to find them. When Survivor first hit the air and became a big phenomenon, someone created a site of Godzilla Survivor and wrote up their own stories and recaps every week of the latest monster voted off Monster Island. I loved checking in on that to see it play out. There's no sense making a website about Cheers when Wikipedia is now here and will list all manner of information along with IMDB. A person is better off just writing up the webpages for those sites if they are a fan and want to provide that information. Much like how MySpace then Facebook lead to the end of people making their own personal Geocity website or blog because of some better design tools and because it was able to get the level of engagement/participation from people around the world that you could find all your family members or friends or people you knew in one spot without having to do much searching. If everyone is using it then why go somewhere that they'd be unable to easily find you?

I'm not sure where it really leaves a site like this. Obviously the speed of Nintendo news and the sources of it have changed a lot in the past two decades. As such, this isn't really the place you could get pretty fresh or breaking news like you used to. That's now more like Twitter's domain. Reviews and Impressions are probably still a factor in getting interest but look how rarely you see comments for games being reviewed. There's just so many coming out now through stuff like the eShop that who can keep up or find it necessary to keep up with every single thing release. Back when it was GBA and GC, it was a lot easier to read on most retail releases whether good or bad for the fun of dunking on terrible movie adaptation game or to go on about a new entry in a franchise. Of course, there's still a big release that can draw a lot of attention like Breath of the Wild or Cyberpunk 2077.

But with so many games past and present available, the scope of gaming and content available has pretty much made it impossible to keep up with all the worthwhile titles a system offers. It's diluted the amount of shared experiences a lot of people could have had. When you had just NES, SNES, and N64 as an example (and ignoring the Game Boy) then sure it would take an incredibly long time for anyone to play through or significantly engage in every game released on those systems if someone was committed to that but there were a lot of titles that most owners of those systems would have played and could talk about like was done in this community. Now you have Nintendo fans that don't really think much of Retro as a developer because they've only released one game in the past decade. They weren't around for the GC and some of those earlier consoles. With a lot of the GameCube games still not re-released, they can't engage in or bond over those experiences while those of us that did grow up at that time now have more responsibilities in life and less time to play the latest stuff that these new fans will be wanting to talk about and obsess over. So, its going to cause a community like this further issues to see new people sign up when they don't see much here that currently interests them or care about.

However, the NWR Forums are still a part of my internet loop. It's the first thing I check in on when loading the internet (often to see what Spambot I have to ban now). Even though activity has slowed down a lot, I still like checking in here and maintaining an online presence because of the familiarity I have with so many members and the users here are still the people I want for my friends on my 3DS and Switch and whatever other future Nintendo console happens. Whether here or through Discord, I'm just glad there's a hub where we can still find each other and stay connected if we want to. If I want to discuss videogame stuff or other topics, it is still with the people and users here and not randos on Twitter or Reddit or wherever else.

Welp, I think I've lost my point and just gone full on old man rambling but whatever. That's just what I do here.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 01:06:17 AM »
But the site seems to be pretty dead forum wise nowadays, is that just a similar story to me? Found that discord was just easier and moved on? Or just natural progression.

Well you certainly aren't Thatguy. He's a totally different person.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 02:39:54 PM »
Life has been pretty jam packed for me the past few years.  Tbh the discord while lively tends to drive into conversations I don't have interest in, so it doesn't scratch the same itch convos here had been.

I'll try to make myself more present here, I like the community here and want to see it continue.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 08:18:35 PM »
Life has been pretty jam packed for me the past few years.  Tbh the discord while lively tends to drive into conversations I don't have interest in, so it doesn't scratch the same itch convos here had been.

I'll try to make myself more present here, I like the community here and want to see it continue.

I think i'm just a sucker for you internet boomers.
Made you look ****.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 08:22:22 PM »
I haven't played a lot of video games in the past few years. Been more into comic books.

Y NO BOTW2 NINTENDO?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 08:40:53 PM »
Hmm. Interesting. I've kind of been the opposite. Fell out of comics in 2017 and, aside from checking out some graphic novel collections from the library a few times in 2018 and 19, I really haven't looked back. Meanwhile, my gaming seems to have gone up more and been playing all kinds of stuff. 2017 was also the year of BotW! Coincidence....??   ???  :o

In fact, I've got comics I've been meaning to give away again. I should get around to doing that. I just remembered I think I was supposed to have sent ShyGuy some Batman comics but I ended up moving at the time I asked him about it and just packed them up with me and then forgot about sending them after. Or did I eventually get them to you?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 08:45:55 PM by The President »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 09:42:41 PM »
I don't think I ever got any Batman comics from you. Got some Robin, Captain Atom, and a Justice League book?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 03:48:06 PM »
As others have said, forums like this aren't as popular as they used to be.  But I would say, there are still traditional forums that do receive a lot more engagement then this place.  Why can other places keep there members engaged and even draw in a larger amount of new ones, while this place has literally dried up the last several years?

I mean, if someone was looking to sign up for a new Nintendo community and they discovered this place, why would they join these forums when most discussion is dead.  They're going to sign up at a different Nintendo forum that's actually discussing said games.  Hell, I even see members of this site post more on other forums these days, so we can't blame this place being dead on forums in general losing popularity.

Now I'm part of this problem since I barely post anymore.  I mean I could make more threads and try to spark more conversations, but then I think to myself this topic might get 3 replies max and it just doesn't feel worth the time to type something up.  We're basically in a bad spiral where we need more discussions going on to attract new members, but we kind of need new members to help spark these discussions.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 10:42:23 PM »
To put it simply, I stopped posting here because people stopped answering. Not much point putting considerable time and effort into writing up my thoughts on game or show X, Y, or Z when the answer is always going to be *crickets*.

It certainly doesn't help that my Switch barely got used last year, and Nintendo in general hasn't had much news worth discussing in years. Been trying to put more time into the thing this year (did a full playthrough of Skyward Sword HD and just started a playthrough of No More Heroes 3) since it looks like 2022 will be mostly a backlog year, but at this point there's not really anyone to talk to about it, and Twitter is so much faster these days.

I only joined in on the Activision/Blizzard discussion because there were already a bunch of the regulars discussing it, so at least there would be a point to being part of the conversation for once. And yeah, it was fun, but sure enough the forums went back to being a ghost town shortly thereafter.

These forums died years ago. Maybe it was inevitable with the ever-advancing march of technology, but I feel like the site in general abandoned these forums once they started bringing in Patreon and Discord. Maybe it's time for Kenshiro to finally release the corpse so at least it can have one final, glorious explosion before the void claims it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 10:45:04 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 01:06:14 PM »
One tough thing is there is no notification if someone does reply to you. Other platforms let you @ people or some other method so folks KNOW that someone responded. I know there are times I want to respond to folks but the conversation has moved on and even if I quote the previous person its a while back and they may not thoroughly check to see if someone responded.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 04:52:30 PM »
Just gotta assume every post on here is directed to you. That's what I do. It's so nice to have so many people always trying to talk with me.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 08:32:15 PM »
The Switch hasn't exactly been the shot in the arm the forums need either. It supports an absurdly broad library (despite Broodwars's jeers) so outside of major first party releases which are few and far between we generally aren't playing the same games. Even on the discord it is rare that a game comes along that can sustain long conversations because of that. Pokemon Legends Arceus is probably the first one to really do that since Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 09:09:04 PM »
The Switch hasn't exactly been the shot in the arm the forums need either. It supports an absurdly broad library (despite Broodwars's jeers) so outside of major first party releases which are few and far between we generally aren't playing the same games. Even on the discord it is rare that a game comes along that can sustain long conversations because of that. Pokemon Legends Arceus is probably the first one to really do that since Animal Crossing New Horizons.

Hey, I'm not insulting the Switch library here, despite Nintendo's efforts to turn the eShop into the dumpster fire that is Steam. Most of my games on the Switch just tend to be RPGs, and I have to be in a very specific mood to play them. It doesn't help that Switch games don't look so hot on my 4K TV, and Switch games in general don't tend to run real well so any time I AM in the mood for a Switch game I find it hard to stomach how poorly they perform compared to my other consoles. I am trying to play more Switch games this year.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:13:07 PM by broodwars »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 07:16:40 PM »
You know, if you ever want a good example of why these forums are dead, check out how the forums completely collapse the moment someone so much as breathes on them. We get a new Direct today, and I've seen nothing but "504 gateway errors" trying to post a reply to any thread.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2022, 08:19:39 PM »
You know, if you ever want a good example of why these forums are dead, check out how the forums completely collapse the moment someone so much as breathes on them. We get a new Direct today, and I've seen nothing but "504 gateway errors" trying to post a reply to any thread.
Maybe the site wouldn’t throw so many errors if the forum software was updated. :smug:

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2022, 09:23:11 PM »
Maybe so but I've also had no issues today at anytime when using the forums so I don't know if it is a geographic problem being encountered or not.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2022, 12:08:52 PM »
I had the same problems yesterday.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2022, 02:38:41 PM »
I don't know what the **** is up with my browser, but I have this weird initial 1-5 minute wait time for the first page to load and then I have no problems browsing afterwards. Except for NWR. It loads immediately. This is only on Firefox, Chrome works fine. I would switch to Chrome entirely if it wasn't for the interface.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2022, 06:09:33 PM »
I wayback machined ZHq and noticed this little graphic

This little graphic was responsible for making an n64 fan website turn into something big.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2022, 02:32:44 PM »
Another day with major Nintendo news, another day of 504 Gateway Errors on the forums.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2022, 02:45:08 PM »
Personally, I haven’t encountered any errors. You’re able to post eventually. Do we know what’s causing it? Should we make more upgrade-the-forum-software comments?