Community Forums > NWR Forums Discord

Not to be that guy...

(1/6) > >>

Wah:
But the site seems to be pretty dead forum wise nowadays, is that just a similar story to me? Found that discord was just easier and moved on? Or just natural progression.

Khushrenada:
No, it is pretty quiet here these days. Sometimes there will be a topic that seems to spring up some discussion and life like the Microsoft buying Activision Talkback thread. But sadly, discussion moves pretty slowly and sparsely as the forums are no longer a check-in every day routine for most people. Perhaps some newer forums would help. I've brought up and even offered to help throw in a cash bonus to help sort of "pay wages" for someone that could take the time to do that but progress seems to keep stalling.

According to the higher ups on staff, the site gets most of its visibility and traffic through its YouTube videos. The podcasts also seem to reach a bit more of an audience and the Podcast Discussion forum often seems to be the most active these days. Unfortunately, many that comment on the podcasts don't really broaden out to the other parts of the forum for posting.

There has definitely been a sort of migration to Discord in that many forum regulars can be found there but it often seems to be a small group that do any regular chatting on it and those people aren't really the same people that did a lot of regular posting here. It is what it is.

ThePerm:
All the kids use TikTok nowadays.

With all the consolidation of people to apps people don't really explore the web anymore.
They just stay in their loop on Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, and TikTok.

Back in the day websites had affiliate programs. In the links to most websites there were links to other similar websites. There are a few youtubers who have links to other channels and this works really well.

People like to share memes, videos, pictures, and new articles, but they don't ever share links to communities.

BeautifulShy:
I know for me I have a part time job online so I am focusing on that and getting time to adult as well and just enjoy games so posting on here isn't really as high as a priority when I had all the time in the world and I wasn't really doing much with my life.

Also as Perm noted most folks are on apps and have their own bases to cultivate and grow so dedicated sites unless someone is already apart of it it doesn't get much focus.   Also with apps and everything a persons time is split even more with different kinds of entertainment.

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: ThePerm on February 01, 2022, 02:08:03 PM ---With all the consolidation of people to apps people don't really explore the web anymore.
They just stay in their loop on Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, and TikTok.

Back in the day websites had affiliate programs. In the links to most websites there were links to other similar websites. There are a few youtubers who have links to other channels and this works really well.

People like to share memes, videos, pictures, and new articles, but they don't ever share links to communities.

--- End quote ---

Yep. I feel it was like around 10 years ago, there was an article about how the Internet/Web was dead in the sense that the internet from like 1995-2005 had fallen away and was replaced by just a few sites that people just checked in with over and over like the loop you mention. Back then, I remember you could see all kinds of fansites for TV Shows like 60's Batman or MASH as examples. People would make these websites on their own of stuff they were fans of or create their own Geocities page for people to find them. When Survivor first hit the air and became a big phenomenon, someone created a site of Godzilla Survivor and wrote up their own stories and recaps every week of the latest monster voted off Monster Island. I loved checking in on that to see it play out. There's no sense making a website about Cheers when Wikipedia is now here and will list all manner of information along with IMDB. A person is better off just writing up the webpages for those sites if they are a fan and want to provide that information. Much like how MySpace then Facebook lead to the end of people making their own personal Geocity website or blog because of some better design tools and because it was able to get the level of engagement/participation from people around the world that you could find all your family members or friends or people you knew in one spot without having to do much searching. If everyone is using it then why go somewhere that they'd be unable to easily find you?

I'm not sure where it really leaves a site like this. Obviously the speed of Nintendo news and the sources of it have changed a lot in the past two decades. As such, this isn't really the place you could get pretty fresh or breaking news like you used to. That's now more like Twitter's domain. Reviews and Impressions are probably still a factor in getting interest but look how rarely you see comments for games being reviewed. There's just so many coming out now through stuff like the eShop that who can keep up or find it necessary to keep up with every single thing release. Back when it was GBA and GC, it was a lot easier to read on most retail releases whether good or bad for the fun of dunking on terrible movie adaptation game or to go on about a new entry in a franchise. Of course, there's still a big release that can draw a lot of attention like Breath of the Wild or Cyberpunk 2077.

But with so many games past and present available, the scope of gaming and content available has pretty much made it impossible to keep up with all the worthwhile titles a system offers. It's diluted the amount of shared experiences a lot of people could have had. When you had just NES, SNES, and N64 as an example (and ignoring the Game Boy) then sure it would take an incredibly long time for anyone to play through or significantly engage in every game released on those systems if someone was committed to that but there were a lot of titles that most owners of those systems would have played and could talk about like was done in this community. Now you have Nintendo fans that don't really think much of Retro as a developer because they've only released one game in the past decade. They weren't around for the GC and some of those earlier consoles. With a lot of the GameCube games still not re-released, they can't engage in or bond over those experiences while those of us that did grow up at that time now have more responsibilities in life and less time to play the latest stuff that these new fans will be wanting to talk about and obsess over. So, its going to cause a community like this further issues to see new people sign up when they don't see much here that currently interests them or care about.

However, the NWR Forums are still a part of my internet loop. It's the first thing I check in on when loading the internet (often to see what Spambot I have to ban now). Even though activity has slowed down a lot, I still like checking in here and maintaining an online presence because of the familiarity I have with so many members and the users here are still the people I want for my friends on my 3DS and Switch and whatever other future Nintendo console happens. Whether here or through Discord, I'm just glad there's a hub where we can still find each other and stay connected if we want to. If I want to discuss videogame stuff or other topics, it is still with the people and users here and not randos on Twitter or Reddit or wherever else.

Welp, I think I've lost my point and just gone full on old man rambling but whatever. That's just what I do here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version