Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

GameCube's Appeal to the Teen Audience

(1/18) > >>

Matt:
I think that Nintendo has a problem appealing to the average teen audience.

For example, much of thier advertising does not occour on TV-slots and programs aimed at teens.  Also, thier M-rated titles don't get enough publicity and advertisement, and as a result, a loot of teens think the GameCube is a kiddy console, espically compared to Microsoft's Xbox.

In fact, I know a lot of people who look down on the GameCube.  These people were NES, SNES, Game Boy, and even N64 owners.  But this generation, they've gone the way of Microsoft, fully supporting thier Xbox, but dissing the GCN.

Its odd, because it seems like Microsoft is making its Xbox look better by simply getting more informaton and advertising out to the public.

RickPowers:
Actually, I'd say that Nintendo's appeal problem is largely a function of the typical teen (or anyone, for that matter) wanting to fit in.  GameCube is NOT "kiddy", but that doesn't stop people from branding it like that.  It's small, or purple, so it must be for little kids, right?  Well, only if you THINK so.  There is nothing inherently kiddy about the machine.  Sure, some of Nintendo's games are cartoony or bright, but does that make THEM kiddy?  These same people have no problem watching animated TV shows and movies, but in a game?!  Oh, that's so kiddy!  Please.

Fact is, people just want to fit in, and they'll spurn anything that isn't mainstream or seen as "cool" by their friends.  It's pretty pathetic, but it's a major part of marketing strategy for not just the game industry, but just about every major brand as well.  Clothing, drinks, food ... be the coolest, and you'll get the most sales.

That's really all there is to it.  When people learn not to be swayed by peer pressure and marketing, they'll be much happier consumers.  All that matters in game consoles is how fun the games are (and how many there are).  Unfortunately, the games industry suffers a Catch-22 situation where if the Developers or Publishers fall for that same "kiddy" argument against a console, they won't release games for it.  Less games, means less sales, and the cycle continues.

If anything, THAT is the reason Nintendo needs to work on it's image.  Not because of the public stigma, but the one in the developer/publisher communities.

RABicle:
You know the other day i was standing around in the local Harvey norman and a 9 year old was trying to tell me (I'm 15) that Gamecube was kiddy and Xbox more 'mature' it was just so funny listening to that come out of such a high pitched voice and a short body. I just stood really close to him and peered down on him. Then he shut up and I walked away.

But really It's Nintendo's fault that the public has this misconception of the system. All the other console have just as many colourful games as the Gamecube.

Grey Ninja:
I don't think it's Nintendo's fault.  They didn't do this to themselves, and it's not like they have been forgetting about the older gamers.  I am perfectly content with the amount of games on GameCube, and the quality.  I can't afford to keep up as it is.

I don't know what they have to do differently, and I don't know what they should do to fight this, but it just isn't fair.

dogcow:
In some ways it is Nintendo's fault. They got one Killer mature game this Christmas, what did they do ?? they create some wacky commercial for it, I didn't know how bad it was untill I saw the Metroid Ad for Japan. And look, Metroid Prime doesn't even have their own website yet, what is wrong with that picture, the Japanese Metroid website is already up and running before the game is released. Fusion gets it's own website while Metroid Prime doesn't, even Starfox Adventure gets it's own website? is Prime not big enough for a dedicated website ??

Rick if you have any connection within NOA, please kindly inform them that "they suck".  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version