Author Topic: Episode 250: Five Long Years  (Read 13374 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 250: Five Long Years
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 10:57:52 PM »
Not very cool to hear my own voice. That was upsetting. I'm dismayed that I still sound like a British paperboy from the 19th century.

I didn't think that, but I can tell you its never cool to hear your own voice. It is physically painful for me to listen to myself. There is always something you wanted to say "better" or "differently." Some phrase your stumbled over or some inflection that sounds pained.

Don't worry, there are a lot of people who find listening to your voice physically painful.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 11:16:23 PM »
Giant, fun event. Looking forward to more.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »
listening now.  Wish I was able to participate since I've listened for about 2-3 years.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 01:06:13 AM »
KOTOR does play in 360,i bought it like 3 years ago.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 07:12:44 PM »
I had completely forgot about the live show and didnt come on the net until it had finished :(

Anyway great show as always guys.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 01:29:40 AM »
With regard to stolen games (jrlibrarian's question:)  I had terrible luck with stolen systems in college.  I was living in a house just off campus, and my roommates and I kept a common gaming room.  The NES and SNES and the associated games were my contribution.  I foolishly left them there when I went to work for the summer; by the time I got back for the fall semester, the majority of them had been "borrowed" by someone who didn't even live there.

On a separate occasion, we left for a weekend to go on a retreat during that same year, and someone broke into our house.  My N64 and associated games were stolen from my room, along with pretty much everything else that I had that was valuable.

College sucked.

EDIT: I'm in awe of Greg's dedication to editing the show.  Those stories were insane.  I've done a bit of video and audio editing in the past, and I can only imagine how long that Muscle March segment must have taken.

Also, just wanted to reiterate how much I love RFN and Radio Trivia.  For what it's worth, and I did not communicate it (or anything else) coherently during my call, but those podcasts are something I look forward to every week.  Thanks for putting so much effort into what you're doing; I, among others appreciate it.    I'm honestly at a point in my life where I spend far more time listening to video game podcasts than actual gaming just because of responsibilities and scheduling at work and at home; having this outlet for a hobby that I love even when I can't spend much time actually investing in that hobby.  Listening to these is a great source of joy, for lack of a better word.   Again, thanks for what you do; it's appreciated!  I look forward to listening to many more episodes.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:50:22 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 01:36:10 AM »
Up until I was about 22, the only game ever stolen from me was when a friend stole my copy of Darkwing Duck for SNES. It was not a great game, but it was mine. A few years ago, the brother of my girlfriends brother broke into my room and stolen dozens of Wii, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 games (along with a bunch of DVDs and Blu-ray Discs). I didn't have the proof for it though, I knew it was him because he was the only one who would have had access to my room when it happened.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 10:09:51 AM »
In college my roommate once left are window open when we went to Spring Break.  Someone came in and stole my Linux laptop, wireless mouse and keyboard, my Collector edition of Warcraft 3 that had a hairline scratch somehow on the tutorial data that made the disc useless (Though if you looked at the back it looked perfect).  I was most upset about the Keyboard and Mouse.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
I got an old gameboy boxing game stolen, i didnt care that much because the game was crap, but is not cool though, stealing is bad.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 03:10:38 AM »

Congrats on 250, guys!  Very enjoyable as always! I would have called in but I was out of town on vacation with my in-laws.

Responses ...

1. I can't wait for Grandmaster Lindy's tour!!

2. I understand being saddened by the petering out of Wii point sales.  I feel that """hardcore""" gamers are, for whatever reason, thrilled to spend money renting ethereal 0s and 1s, but Wii gamers who might be older or younger, might just prefer tangible games?

Keep in mind I'm not presenting this theory to defend the quality of the WiiWare service.  The service has been sparse at best.  I've really, really enjoyed the 4 or 5 titles I deemed worthy of renting for the duration of my Wii's life.  But no, instead, I merely present this theory to suggest that perhaps digital sales aren't inherently a good thing for gamers, and thus a refelction of a console's value.

Honestly, I hope Nintendo never fully focuses on getting my money in exchange for digital code =)

3. I've never been in to Magic.  This past week my 20-yr-old cousin asked me if I ever played and told me how much he's loving it lately.  ... I can't believe all these years later Magic is still alive and well! =P
... then again, I'm sure many people are equally incredulous about Pokemon... and I love that shiz ^_^ (the game games, not the cards).

4. Great fun hearing all the behind the scenes stories!

5. I am a unique Nintendo fan in that Metroid II was the first Metroid I played and Zelda II was the first Zelda I played through.  Thus, I loved 'em both!! They might be the "black sheeps" of the franchises, but the blackest sheep in those flocks is still better than 90% of all other games, right?

6. I do get that same sensation, Jonny.  RFN provides gaming discussion that I just can't get in my day-to-day life. Keep it up!

7. I'm lucky enough to have never had a game stolen.  However, my older sister did used to borrow my Gameboy and Super Mario Land and, though she'll never admit it, she borrowed the game once and then lost it =P

8. It was pretty cool that one day I had your podcast on in the background while my father was visiting and we were chilling on the patio.  He heard "Radio Free Nintendo" and was impressed with your reference to the historical "Radio Free Europe."  He told me about the backstory and your description certainly seems in line with what he said.

Hells yea, Nintendo fan's perspective!!

~~~

I'm mostly done listening through the call-in portion of the podcast but I'll post again if need be.

Here's to 250 more!!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 02:11:20 PM »
I think James and Greg took a nap during the Magic the Gathering segment.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
If you play Magic for the deck building maybe you should look into Dominion, it's a game about building your deck (you play your cards to buy cards for your deck). It also got GOTY 2009.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2011, 03:32:55 PM »
If you play Magic for the deck building maybe you should look into Dominion, it's a game about building your deck (you play your cards to buy cards for your deck). It also got GOTY 2009.
Hmmm... I didn't see an electronic version mentioned on the Wiki page

Talking about games that had Spiel with them.
Magical Labyrinth Is a fun memory game that I picked up at a Borders that was closing.  It won the 2009 Kinderspiel des Jahres from Kritikerpreis.  If my German isn't too rusty that's 2009 Kid's Game of the Year.  Its a fun board game where you have to navigate through a maze of hidden walls to retrieve magical ruins. /end Sidetrack
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2011, 12:58:59 AM »
My wife looooves Dominion.

... me? not so much.

BUT! I did recently just get in to Arkham Horror! Good stuff!

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »
When the question was asked about favorite easter eggs in games, I IMMEDIATELY thought of the Rebel Assault II thing, so I was thrilled to hear James bring that up right away. But he failed to mention the most amazing aspect of that easter egg - the fact that, in addition to the satirical dialogue, there were three Mystery Science Theater 3000-style silhouettes of Darth Vader, C3PO and R2D2 sitting at the bottom of the screen, ostensibly providing the fake dialogue! Still the most epic easter egg I've ever seen. The whole thing is up on YouTube, this is the first part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNEUU2Yeo2M
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
Having TYP on was good, he should record a special segment during CARMAGEDDON for posterity.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2011, 07:59:15 PM »
I recently played a few games of Dominion, and it is pretty cool. We played with the recommended set of basic cards, and I felt like there was far too little interactions among the players. The box includes a lot more advanced cards, though, so I want to try it again with some of those.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 10:27:50 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion about Garnet Lee's podcast, I didn't know he was a former 1Uper. I am going give it a try as I am still looking for a replacement for Player One Podcast once they go off air after episode 250.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 10:16:04 PM »
Re:  Muscle March

It's the gift that keeps on giving!  Best 1200 Wii Points I ever spent.   ;D

Seriously, Greg, you didn't have to go through everything you did just to make me happy--but I'm glad you did.  More proof--if as it were needed--that RFN is the best gaming podcast on the Internet.

Fun fact:  James didn't respond to my PMs regarding Muscle March so I didn't gift the game to him.  He either faked his way through the segment or he spent his own money on the game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »
VUDU'S ALIVE!!!!!
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
Re:  Muscle March

It's the gift that keeps on giving!  Best 1200 Wii Points I ever spent.   ;D

Seriously, Greg, you didn't have to go through everything you did just to make me happy--but I'm glad you did.  More proof--if as it were needed--that RFN is the best gaming podcast on the Internet.

Fun fact:  James didn't respond to my PMs regarding Muscle March so I didn't gift the game to him.  He either faked his way through the segment or he spent his own money on the game.
lol, he secretly already had it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »
VUDU'S ALIVE!!!!!

We'll have to fix that...

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 07:59:25 PM »
While listening to the podcast i heard someone suggest to do a retroactive on majoras mask, i just wanted to add that i beat the game today and it exceeded my expectations, you guys should seriously consider doing a retroactive in this game to let people who have not play this game know about it.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
Did you get all the masks? If not you haven't beaten it.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »
All of them, i beat the final boss, well the final three bosses with the Fierce Diety Mask, which to my surprise was really cool since it was older Link with a mean sword, the ending was alright, but the Zoras singing was a bit odd, but over all great game, i had started before a couple of times, but after the 250 podcast i decided to give it another try, and got really hooked into it, i still consider OoT a superior game, but majoras mask had some great temples specially the Tower temple.