Author Topic: Unboxing Pictorial: Teleroboxer  (Read 3776 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Unboxing Pictorial: Teleroboxer
« on: July 29, 2010, 11:25:09 AM »

Come witness a Virtual Boy game unboxing!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/23787

I recently bought a Virtual Boy, which means that I've been seeing red and black a lot lately. It's truly been a joyous experience that reminds me of why I can't wait for the 3DS and why the Virtual Boy failed. The 3D effects are super cool, but the fact that you need to bend over and don a freaking visor to experience them isn't.

I also recently bought Teleroboxer, a Nintendo-made game that is kind of like a robotic Punch-Out!!. The kicker with Teleroboxer is that I bought it in brand new and sealed, so I had the pleasure of opening up a game that has been sealed for about 15 years.

It started off simple enough. The Virtual Boy game boxes are roughly the same size and shape of Game Boy cases, though the unmistakable Game Boy sidebar is gone, and instead there is a giant "Virtual Boy" written across the bottom of the box.Oh yea, and if you can't tell, it looks like a Terminator is about to punch through the box.

Then I began to tear the sucker apart, and I removed the cardboard sleeve where the precious game cartridge lies, all covered in plastic.

And for the final part, I got to poke around inside the remains. There's the standard game manuals, and a extraordinarily dated Nintendo Power ad.

Now hopefully, this game is actually good. I have a feeling all it is going to do is whet my appetite for Punch-Out!! 3DS. Please make it happen, Nintendo. Bring back Next Level Games to work on it, too. Please? Are you listening?

I will assume by your silence that the game is being worked on. If a Punch-Out!! game comes out for 3DS, I totally called it.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: Unboxing Pictorial: Teleroboxer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Aw man. You're making me sad that one of my Virtual Boy's eyes is broke. So for me it's a painfully red 2D visor.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:46:47 PM »
The 3D effects are super cool, but the fact that you need to bend over and don a freaking visor to experience them isn't.
I've found the best way to play Virtual Boy is to take a sock or small piece of cloth and put it over your nose, and then lie down and then balance the whole system on top of your face.  This lets you play for a lot longer without screwing up your neck.  The downside is that you can't get up suddenly, and you'll end up with visor imprints on your face.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline machan1985

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 11:46:34 PM »
Teleroboxer is my favourite VB game. I have played it as recently as last year, and it has a lot of replay value. As for the gameplay, it made good use of the duel D-pads, and it a load of fun to perfect your strategies.
Great Job!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »
Teleroboxer is a great Virtual Boy Game.  In fact,  Mario Tennis, Mario Crash, and V sometihng or other space shooter are all very good as well.  I hope they put a Virtual Boy VC out some how there where some good games I pay for again.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:14:49 PM »
I'm finding Teleroboxer to be hard as hell. I'm enjoying it, but it is tough.

I also picked up Wario Land, Mario's Tennis, Galactic Pinball, Vertical Force, and Red Alarm. All of them are pretty cool, with Wario Land being freaking amazing.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »
Warioland and Mario Clash are awesome.  I still pull out my Virtual Boys (plural) to play them!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:12:46 AM »
I love to see sealed games torn open like this. Really.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 11:30:13 AM »
I can't play the Virtual Boy due to my alternating eyesight condition (I can only see out of one eye at a time.. I can switch them on a whim, too... crazy, I know), so I'm really hoping that this game, along with the other Virtual Boy games, to a Virtual Console type service on the 3DS.  Then maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to play them since the two screens are meshed together to create the 3D image.

Teleroboxer always seemed like a pretty cool game.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 01:32:13 PM »
Also, for the record, I paid $24 for this, so I didn't break the bank. I could have gotten it for less open or cart only, but if only you all could have seen the big goofy smile on my face when a 15-year-old sealed game showed up in the mail. I'm probably going to get one of the copies of the VB baseball game just to feel that rush again.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 03:25:54 PM »
The VB baseball game is terrible.  The only reason I have it is because it was $1 and I was trying to fill out my VB collection.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 04:06:47 PM »
The VB baseball game is terrible.  The only reason I have it is because it was $1 and I was trying to fill out my VB collection.

I have no problem with this. I just like Virtual Boy.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 04:45:02 PM »
Is this game worthy of being remade into a 3DS game?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 08:06:55 PM »
Yes.

In fact that whole list of what he got are pretty good.  Though I've "beaten' Teleroboxers mulitple times but I have never faced the last boss because you have to be perfect the whole way through. Then you get the honor to fight him.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 10:27:20 PM »
I miss the days of getting shrink wrapped cardboard boxes like that with games in it. The new plastic DVD cases just aren't the same.

I need to break out my VB as well. Has anyone thought of doing a RetroActive/Newscast Game Club session on the VB and it's library as a whole? I seem to recall the idea getting tossed about once on RFN but nothing came of it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:32 AM »
This makes me happy.  I also recently bought a Virtual Boy and have been re-experiencing it, with much joy (and little to no neck-pain).  I'd originally found one super-cheap back in 1996 when they were on clearance....  and I returned it.  Woe to my former self!  Since my recent gaming resurgence, I've been kicking myself for giving up on what is now so clearly a unique, if flawed, piece of hardware and Nintendo history.  Still wish I had my shiny out-of-the-box version from 15 years ago.  But my eBay'ed copy will have to do.

My library thus far: Red Alarm, Mario Clash, Mario Tennis, Galactic Pinball (with Wario Land on the way).  Other recommendations?  And I, too, would love to hear a RFN episode on the mighty VB.  I heard James on a recent one speak of his Virtual Boy love.  Make it happen, Mr. Jones!
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com