Author Topic: Disney Infinity: Good Idea, Bad Idea  (Read 8212 times)

Offline Dangerface

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Disney Infinity: Good Idea, Bad Idea
« on: October 03, 2013, 02:41:21 AM »

Which Disney characters would be awesome and which would be better left on the shelf?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/35619

Like it or not, Disney Infinity is here to stay. With over 294,000 units already sold in its first two weeks, the game is a hit with gamers and critics alike. The game has opened itself up to the entire Disney universe: television, movies, and theme parks included, ensuring there is something for everyone in their digital world.

But when picking which characters to include in their multimillion-dollar game, Disney had to consider not just how to incorporate each character in their infinite world, but also how to retain the integrity of that character. Not everyone is a perfect fit.

From the biggest Disney fan to the average Joe, we all have our favorite characters that we’d love to see, and other that are best left out. Which is where our Disney Infinity: Good Idea, Bad Idea feature comes in to play. In each update, we’ll think about the pros and cons of each character or series Disney has licensing to and decide for ourselves if it makes the Disney Infinity cut.

To check out all our pros and cons, just use the nifty table of contents over on the right side of this page. Be sure to check back every week or so for new additions, and don’t forget to chime in and let us know who you’d like to see in the Toy Box!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Infinity: Good Idea, Bad Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:59:46 AM »
294,000 units.  Double Standard on Success.

Alright on the article.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
I think Winnie the Pooh be an ok edition.

Now Roger Rabbit on the other hand would be one of those great on paper but not in reality combinations.  While I think the characters themselves be a great fit.  I don't see how the stages for them would work.  A large portion of the charm of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is having that contrast between the Cartoon and Real world and between Now and Then.  They would need photo realistic characters and settings to play the straight man to do it right.  They have to be different then the actual Infinity Universe style to get the contrast right.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BJWanlund

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »
YES to Roger Rabbit!  What about The Three Caballeros?  That technically would include a member of the Fab Five (or Six depending on your perspective), but hey, it'd certainly be interesting.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
Lets really dig.  The Three Little Pigs.  They had their own series.   

Offline MetalMario2

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
None of these will be coming. The game ought to be called "Pixar Infinity: Featuring Johnny Depp".

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 11:52:58 AM »
To be honest Pixar properties are probably the easiest to port since they already have 3D models to start with.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 10:31:46 PM »
Actually Roger Rabbit would work if you only had Toon Town.  Toon Town was great and super Creepy...but you would have to get that sugary cell shaded world just perfect, and it would be a careful balance between annoying and brilliant. 

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »
I actually binge-watched the Tinkerbell movies on Netflix on a day that I felt particularly bored and shiftless, and I've got to admit, they weren't that bad. Strictly kid's stuff, but not that bad. Disney is doing a good job of developing the character's genesis gradually over the course of this series of films. In the third film, they explained why Tinkerbell can't speak to humans using her normal voice, and the next film in development is supposed to feature a young Captain Hook (before Peter Pan cuts off his hand, of course).

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »
Lucario ::)
Made you look ****.

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
Yeah, "The Black Cauldron" sucked.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
Song of the South.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »
They could actually do that if they left out Uncle Remus and the Tar Baby. I mean, it worked for Splash Mountain.

Offline TeaHee

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »
I didn't hate "The Black Cauldron" but I was also completely enamored with the book series it was based on back in junior high. Following much of the logic put forward against it, I would have to guess that "The Sword and the Stone" would also fall in the bad idea list.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 12:45:25 AM »
I didn't realize that Black Couldron was so hated.  I saw it a few years ago and liked it a lot.  It has a unique tone and style that captured my imagination.  I don't plan on getting Infinity, but maybe it would work to make statues/buildings/mountains/weapons/etc. for the lesser known franchises, similar to trophies in SSB.

Offline Jasae Bushae

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »
Having read the books the black cauldron is based upon, I can certainly say that the movie was worlds better by comparison and that a darker vibe would not have saved the film in the least.

And, I agree that it might not make the best of playsets for Infinity. As structured as that movie was, unless the playset was having you go through the plot of the film to detail, the creators would have to create some pretty new material (perhaps borrowing from other books in the original series?) which might be more work than they want to put in.
That said, if they did do it, it would not necesarily be a bad playset. The lone ranger playset received much much higher reviews than the film did and gets near universal praise for its approach despite the films mixed reaction. So if they were to tackle the black cauldron, they could probably make it work.

Though thinking on it, the black cauldron would actually make a pretty awesome kingdom hearts world. Given that settings penchant for telling the stories of movies over with the inclusion of kingdom hearts setting...They could simply give the horned king a cauldron that summons heartless and run the characters through a pretty solid world.

As for kim possible, I have to ask, what basis makes that series a good choice? They are already planning a phineas and ferb playset. They have the Incredibles already lined up. What could a kim possible playset offer that does not come off as a boring repeat of the already established playsets?
Lone Ranger tackled wild west
Incredibles did superheroes
Pirates did pirates
Monsters University did college life

The playsets at least for the first year or two should be trying to branch out and cover multiple genres instead of making a bunch of very similar playsets elsewise your just creating a game with tedium that is rereleasing the same content over and over.
Which would be bad for Kim Possible since as you said, it HAD its final season and its only getting older and further from public memory

Offline TrekStyx

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 03:02:44 AM »
I think the Kim Possible and her world of characters would be an awesome addition to Infinity.

It's true that The Incredibles already covers the superhero territory and Monsters U covers college/school life, but Kim Possible is NEITHER of these genres. She's a spy!

She's got gadgets, stealth, and acrobatics and fights evil all without the benefit of Mr. Incredible-esque strength. She's the Disney cartoon equivalent of Batman or James Bond, and the spy genre and martial arts action is something that is seriously fun and currently lacking in the current roster of Infinity swashbucklers and supers.

Plus a KP playset has great potential. If there's any doubt in your mind that her unique world of characters doesn't translate into a good gaming experience, check out the "Kim Possible: What's the Switch?" game from 2006. It is surprisingly addictive and even more surprising, incredibly challenging.

As for The Black Cauldron. It is indeed dated and doesn't work. While it may be true that something like The Lone Ranger got a playset that was more well received than its more polarizing film counterpart, that was also a modern, recent Disney property and one with Johnny "Captain Jack" Depp attached no less. Suffice it to say, The Lone Ranger deserved a second skin in gaming and Disney was rightly motivated to give it that chance.

Black Cauldron is old, irrelevant and didn't work for Disney even in its heyday. While the right group of developers might be able to fish through the source material and conjure up a fresh take on the story in game form, that would say more their own creativity than it would for The Black Cauldron as a deserving Infinity candidate.

Definitely proper good/bad ideas this week!

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 11:43:11 PM »
Tron, Flynn and Sark.

I have to disagree on Loki though—I prefer my Marvel, LucasFilm and Disney separate. If the line gets blurred, we may end up with Spider-Mickey and Darth Goofy, and I don't know if I want to live in that kind of world.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 02:56:35 AM »
You don't say....

Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »
Kill me. Now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »
I'm not sure if I'll ever get this game, but if they came out with Wall-E, my wife would buy the figurines regardless.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 01:35:51 AM »
Kill me. Now.
I know right?..

They're smearing all stinky SW business over our precious Goofy!..

Zombie Goofy in one of the latest Mickey Mouse shorts was so creepy
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks