Author Topic: Climax Interested In More Silent Hill Titles  (Read 4563 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Climax Interested In More Silent Hill Titles
« on: January 27, 2010, 01:03:30 AM »
The Shattered Memories developer speaks out on their role in the franchise, and the sales of third party games on Wii.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20841

In an interview with the Official Nintendo Magazine, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories developer Climax says that they would be interested in making future Silent Hill games.      

Game Director Mark Simmons commented on the possibility.  "Absolutely. We've always loved working on the series. Since Origins we've spent a lot of time with the series. For us we feel we've put our stamp on the series with Shattered Memories so we'd love the opportunity to do another one. So everybody go and buy it!" said director Mark Simmons.  Lead Designer Sam Barlow followed up with, "I think this is the first Silent Hill since one or two where people are saying it has its own identity and people are responding to it really well so it would be great to take that further."    

Elsewhere in the interview, when asked about the sales of third party Wii games, Barlow was hopeful for his game's success on Wii, while remarking that perhaps it's not a problem with the Wii userbase, but rather the games they have been asked to purchase for the console.    

"Without badmouthing people, a lot of the games they've been complaining about are rail shooters and a rail shooter wouldn't have sold no matter what platform you put it on because it's a rail shooter and that's a niche genre that had its heyday back in the Dreamcast era."  He added later, "To be honest making a game that sells on any platform is hard and there are countless examples of great games on huge budgets that haven't sold and games that have been runaway hits that no one saw coming and I think making a sweeping statement about the Wii is maybe a bit of a cop out."    

The full interview with Climax is available at the Official Nintendo Magazine's website.

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Climax Interested In More Silent Hill Titles
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:22:32 AM »
Hurray! A man talking some sense for once.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:27:11 AM »
Quote from: Game Director Mark Simmons
Without badmouthing people, a lot of the games they've been complaining about are rail shooters and a rail shooter wouldn't have sold no matter what platform you put it on because it's a rail shooter and that's a niche genre that had its heyday back in the Dreamcast era. To be honest making a game that sells on any platform is hard and there are countless examples of great games on huge budgets that haven't sold and games that have been runaway hits that no one saw coming and I think making a sweeping statement about the Wii is maybe a bit of a cop out.

Hey, do you want to be my friend?

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:45:34 AM »
Hey, do you want to be my friend?

Depends, do you want to buy his game?

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:56:20 AM »
Yeah, I saw that in the other thread.  I started to reply there, but wasn't sure how to convince you other than to write a review and give it a 9.0. :)

I can understand the hesitation.  At the very least, I'd say that it's worth a rental to see if you like the gameplay.  If combat was your SH frustration, that's gone.  If it was story or pacing, then you may or may not find that resolved in this game.  I do think the story is unique.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 01:55:46 PM »
Preach on, brother! I just started to play Shattered Memories and am very impressed so far.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 02:00:32 PM »
Climax did amazing things with the Wiimote for Shattered Memories, and the fact the game changes depending on your choices with the physche assessment, makes this one of the most replayable 3rd party Wii games ever.

Aside from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »
Glad you're liking it, Jonny.  I know that you had previously stated that you had no interest in the title.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
The core activity of walking and LOOKING around creepy places brings me joy and ecstasy.  Best example of Wii Remote controls for investigative adventure gaming thus far, tho the camera sensitivity used during zoomed-in situations should be tweaked.

I enjoy the story partly because its structured similarly to Killer7.

Then there's a dosage of female deliciousness I didn't expect <3
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 09:03:27 PM »
I wonder how many copies Shattered Memories sold. So far critical reception has been solid, and the fans that have played it love it. If the game under sells who do we blame?

Shattered Memories was released in mid December with little to no marketing behind it (though, it seems that Konami treats it like a niche franchise since not all of the games get promotion).

Quality and genre will not have anything to do with sales since its not an on-rails shooter and its seems to be a great game.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 09:06:27 PM »
Exact numbers are not known (I will not use the guesses made by VG Chartz), but supposedly the game is selling pretty well (not enough to make the top 20, but still good numbers).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
*not a fan of Silent Hill

Konami is still to blame for shortcomings cuz word of mouth isn't very strong for single-player games that lack major mascots (while multiplayer games have multiple witnesses instantly).
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 05:01:06 AM »
single-player games that lack major mascots

Yeah, they should've used Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaames Sunderland instead :P.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 05:10:17 AM »
VG Chartz claims 110k.

I think the Wii Sales thread dropped a number close to 50k for NPD.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 05:17:19 AM »
Well, don't blame me, it's still not out here.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
Plus with the cheaper price they may move more units which only helps our cause of getting a sequel.
My Game Collection

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 12:48:14 PM »
I think that the positive word of mouth might give this thing legs though. I haven't bought it, and wasn't really considering buying it even after seeing the positive reviews, though I would have liked to play it. Now, because I am still hearing about how good it is and I see the game impressing more people (like Jonny) I am actually considering picking this up. All the talk has really got me curious, and I don't think I'll get the chance to play it any other way.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
Plus with the cheaper price they may move more units which only helps our cause of getting a sequel.

I doubt it, the cheaper price didn't do much for Castlevania Judgment either.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »
But Castlevania Judgement was...mediocre at best, right? It didn't have positive buzz flying around a month after launch like Shattered Memories does.
My Game Collection

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 05:50:16 PM »
Word of mouth doesn't matter if you don't ship any copies.

Freaking ridiculous. It's easier to track down your typical Atlus game these days than it is to find Shattered Memories.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 06:33:46 PM »

I doubt it, the cheaper price didn't do much for Castlevania Judgment either.

I think that had more to do with the fact that it was a Castlevania fighting game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 06:10:24 AM »
But Castlevania Judgement was...mediocre at best, right? It didn't have positive buzz flying around a month after launch like Shattered Memories does.

True, Judgment had a ton of anti-hype (people decided to hate it no matter what) but I think the lower price won't really help anyway because if price is all you're looking for there is a pile of shovelware available. Blame third parties for killing third party games.

Offline pyrokamileon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »
I bought my copy! :-)
At some point, I'd think Nintendo fans would get sick of the anticipation and just say "screw it," but Nintendophiles are odd, odd creatures indeed.<BR>—Chris Carle, IGN

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 05:17:18 PM »
Part of the Problem

xx. xxxxx
xx. xxxxx
xx. pyrokamileon
xx. xxxxx